Oh, to be wealthy!

Let’s talk about Mario for a minute.

First, let’s look at him.

[sigh]

NOW let’s talk about him.

His foundation has big news!

Federal news!

The Mario Lemieux Foundation announced today plans for an Austin’s Playroom at the new Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland.  An online auction at www.mariolemieux.org and texting campaign will provide funding for this new room supporting military families.

The featured item of the online auction, which started today and ends on November 18, is a truly one of a kind piece, Mario Lemieux and Sidney Crosby’s locker room stalls from the Civic Arena.  In addition, this online auction features game-used items from the Nov. 10 Bruins v. Penguins game, as well unique NHL memorabilia.

As a reminder to you, Austin’s Playroom Project rooms are for siblings of sick children, giving them a place to play while their parents are with their suffering brothers and sisters. They are AMAZING rooms, I tell you. And I also remind you that Make Room for Kids was readily made a partner of the foundation because of the playroom project. The fact that they’ll be putting an Austin’s Playroom in the hospital that will serve all branches of the military is something for the foundation and all of Pittsburgh to be proud of, because Mario is ours.

Check out the auction and particularly, the locker room stalls!

Opening bid? A cool $12,500.

Oh to be exceedingly wealthy and to throw down $20,000 for this because once that puppy was mounted in my home?

A hell of a time-out spot.

“You go sit on the time-out bench and think about how Mario and Sid would have handled this situation differently. They would NOT have shin-kicked their little sister and called her a doodoo-brain! Five-minute major, buster!”

1. SpudMom
    November 9, 2010 11:23 am

I’m just giggling that they’re called “stalls.” Makes the players sound like horses!

2. BB
    November 9, 2010 11:49 am

you have inspired me to refer to timeouts as 5 minute majors for my non-existent, hypothetical future children! perfect!

3. BeauJacques
    November 9, 2010 11:59 am

Home Depot, $100.00

Penguins stuff (Crosby & LeMieux stickers)- $30.00

Not telling your kids it’s a replica until they’re 15- PRICELESS!!

4. Butcher's Dog
    November 9, 2010 12:06 pm

News reports indicate that the playroom at Walter Reed will go 2,000 square feet. Largest one they’ve done so far is 1,400. I don’t think 20 large will bring this home for you, either. Probably closer to 6 figures by the time it’s all said and done. Suppose, for instance, Ron Burkle thinks it would look good in one of his rec rooms. Just sayin’.

BeauJacques’ calculations left out the possession of wood working tools, not to mention requisite skills. That probably cuts out half the readership. Again, just sayin’.

5. BeauJacques
    November 9, 2010 12:15 pm

@Butcher’s Dog-

True, easy for me, but it’s pretty basic DIY “picnic table”
    joinery.

OK, add Skil-Saw, deck screws. sandpaper, polyurethane finish
    for…..another $100

or…

Sweet-talk hubby, or skilled neighbor…. $ ???

Still lot less tha $20K. and PRICELESS to swindle delinquent kids! imho

;-)

6. Butcher's Dog
    November 9, 2010 12:29 pm

I’d wait till long after they turned 15 before I told ‘em about it being a knock-off. That’s when they can be most dangerous. Better wait till the college graduation to break the news.

7. Lauren
    November 9, 2010 1:09 pm

Interesting that the last I heard (no linkage source, just Army gossip) they were closing Walter Reed. I suppose that this investment means they’re not. Good for Mario and his foundation.

8. Butcher's Dog
    November 9, 2010 1:26 pm

They closed/are closing the “old” Walter Reed. This is a new facility.

9. Bram R
    November 9, 2010 2:05 pm

Wow, this is all pretty cool.

I feel like I’m about to get assaulted by better Penguins fans, but did Crosby and Lemieux ever play together? Or is this a reimagined locker room stall? I know there was a player-owner period but I feel like there had to have been a longer gap… then again Sidney was a boarder, maybe this is from the manse in Sewickley?

10. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    November 9, 2010 2:18 pm

@Bram R — they played one season together, something like 26 games before Mario re-retired.

11. G-Man
    November 9, 2010 3:22 pm

Yes, as ex-pat girl said, they did play together briefly. Add to that, Marion’s locker room stall was left empty after his second retirement – as inspiration, I guess. A nice gesture.
    I read somewhere in the last week that Sidney Crosby expressed some interest in bidding on the stalls. And the sports museum here (Heinz?) would like to have it in its permanent collection and hopes the winning bidder might donate the stalls and take a second tax writeoff (if that’s even allowed).

November 9, 2010 7:04 pm

I want to ask the wimmenfolk here to try to be objective: Mario isn’t really handsome, is he? It’s Mario + sports superstardom + money = handsome, isn’t it? Isn’t it?

Be honest. If you saw that face in a hotel bar and he was just an insurance salesman from Peoria, would you be all moist panties ‘n at?

13. Lauren
    November 9, 2010 7:10 pm

@Butcher’s Dog-Ahhh, that makes more sense then. I’m always last to know, and my hubby is in Medcom :facepalm:

@bucdaddy-I have a hard time separating Mario and all his accomplishments/contributions to the city, Penguins, and fighting cancer. That being said, I could lick my screen for the picture above : )

November 9, 2010 7:18 pm

OK, that’s Mario 1, bucdaddy 0.

Anyone else?

15. mis
    November 9, 2010 7:20 pm

Yep, he’s a hottie. With money or without.

16. L-A
    November 9, 2010 8:20 pm

love mario n all, but where the effie is WTRT Bungle Fever Edition?

17. Butcher's Dog
    November 9, 2010 8:48 pm

Let’s cut Ginny some slack on WTRT. It’ll give us all a reason to get out of bed tomorrow.

18. SpudMom
    November 9, 2010 9:15 pm

Nope, sorry, bucdaddy, he’s hot. It’s the dark hair/blue eyes combo. Plus, he’s really tall. Swoon! Has nothing to do with being a Hockey God – but that certainly helps!

19. NewBurgher
    November 9, 2010 9:34 pm

@bucdaddy – no, he’s not hot, not even close. And I am a woman – & straight LOL I’m guessing it’s the combination, we can find not-so-great looking men more attractive by their qualities. But take away his money et al, and — not so much.

20. Chris
    November 9, 2010 11:49 pm

If you’ve ever been fortunate to see Mario in person, he oozes tons of charisma and hockey hotness.

21. empirechick
    November 10, 2010 12:18 am

It pains me to go against you, bucdaddy, but I’m casting my vote for Mario. I don’t think the above pic does him justice. As Chris said above, he’s super hot in person.

November 10, 2010 12:50 am

5-1. Soooo, you all admit I’m right.

23. Leigh
    November 10, 2010 11:54 am

@ bucdaddy – if I saw that face in a hotel bar, I would think who is that hot insurance salesman from Peoria and what is he doing here at the Holiday Inn bar? Yes, he is hot for all the reasons already mentioned. I have never met him, but heard about his charisma, which of course ups his hotness factor!

24. Trish
    November 11, 2010 8:12 am

@bucdaddy–Mario passes my “Could He Get Women Without Being A Hockey Player” test with flying colors. Insurance agent, Peoria, hotel bar … oh, yeah.