Random n’at

1. Last night while watching the game —

‘Scuse me.

[violent vomiting]

— I had a thought. Why is it that in football we give a crap what college the players attended?

I mean, think about it. Some of these guys haven’t been in college for ten or more years.

Can you imagine if baseball was like that?

“And up at the plate, here’s Freddy Sanchez batting out of Glendale Community College.”

It’s just weird and I’d like to know why they do it, thanks.

2. An email from reader Traci:

Here’s a funny anecdote I found in Reader’s Digest that I’d thought I’d share. The article had various pilots sharing their secrets about airlines, etc.  This quote came from a pilot in Charlotte, NC.

“We’re not sitting in the cockpit listening to the ball game.  Sometimes we can ask the controllers to go to their break room to check the score. But when I fly to Pittsburgh on a Sunday afternoon, the passengers send the flight attendants up at least 10 times to ask us the Steelers score.”

3. According to Charity Navigator, Pittsburgh has the highest rated charitable community in the nation in terms of financial health, up from fourth place last year, proving once again that Pittsburgh is coming through the recession better than other cities and that Pittsburghers are incredibly, incredibly generous, even in times of financial hardship.

Can I say this again? Suck it, America.

(h/t Allison)

4. Remember Smokin’ Hot Burgher, model, Olympic Skier, and one-time Steeler Jeremy Bloom?

Let me remind you:

Jeremy has been up to good, lately.

Do I know how to pick ’em or what?

(h/t Terry K)

5. Adam Frey’s foundation is putting a book out about his battle with cancer that will include many of Adam’s own words from the blog he diligently kept as he fought the disease that eventually took his life at the young age of 23.

(h/t Jill)

6. Those fashion mavens among you are going to be very interested in this on-line magazine called d’Arte that several CMU students have created. It’s a stunning collection of fashion images that celebrate CMU and feature clothing from Pittsburgh’s boutiques. So many beautiful faces and poses and photos.

I think I have a girl crush on CMU student Sumire Matsubara now.

Wowza.

Definitely would put her in my imaginary “Smokin’ Hot Burghers Calendar.”

That really needs to be a real thing.

7. Posts coming up today –> Ti Kanaval wrap up post complete with winning raffle numbers, then a post about my Philly trip and how I took an elevator ride with another famous person, and then finally WTRT: [VIOLENT VOMITING] Edition.

1. BeauJacques
    November 15, 2010 10:40 am

#1- That’s simply the NFL’s (and prior to that the NCAA) attempt to demonstrate that the players “graduated” (attended, maybe)
    a scholastic place, and the proof is they can remember and correctly pronounce it.

2. Ms. Redd
    November 15, 2010 10:42 am

Let me be the first to say you certainly know how to make my Monday mornings much brighter- Jeremy Bloom- he can pop up in my garden any time- WOW!

3. calmdahn
    November 15, 2010 10:46 am

As a Pitt alum you should already understand why they always announce the college an NFL player attended. College football, especially at the big division one football schools, is all about pride in your school – fanatic, undying, obsessive pride. Those schools want to continue to recruit the top high school ball-players. So when an NFL player’s school is announced, it’s like an advertisement for that school.

November 15, 2010 10:48 am

NCAA football is basically the NFL’s minor league system.

the NBA does the same thing.

MLB has its own minor league system. while a good amount of players do play for colleges, it’s not really the norm.

5. facie
    November 15, 2010 11:01 am

1. I kind of look forward to seeing the school shout-outs during the night games. A player (a Steeler?) recently named some culinary school, which I thought was funny.

2. Love the Pittsburgh flying thing. When the plane I was on pulled into the gate at PIT two weeks ago, I smiled at the largish “You’re in Steelers Country” banner hanging on the luggage carrier. I don’t fly too often, but I don’t recall ever seeing something like that at any other airport.

6. BeauJacques
    November 15, 2010 11:04 am

@calmdahn-

Pride??? hahaha, you’ve GOT to be joking!

You mean $$$

It’s what Unsatis said, NFL holding $-signs, I mean hands, with
    their farm system, who are guarding their huge TV $$ also!

As a Pitt alum calmdahn you should know that their Div 1` players, both hoops and football can’t even spell ‘university.’

I was at Pitt when Tony Dorsett (before he became French) played. His ONLY presence on campus was to attend parties he was throwing at the 2 dorm rooms he had professionally
    remodeled into one large party lounge in the Litchfield towers

November 15, 2010 11:11 am

1. It’s because so little of real consequence happens during a football game that they’ll talk about anything, ANYTHING to fill the four-hour void of air time (not to mention the 16 hours of pre- and postgame noise). It’s approximately the same amount of consequence that happens during a baseball game, but baseball has the good sense to confine itself to about a half-hour of pregame and 15 minutes of postgame chatter and tomorrow there’s another game, instead of six days of yapping about the game that just got played and the game that will be played.

8. BeauJacques
    November 15, 2010 11:14 am

@Bucdaddy-

yeah, but here in Pittsburgh except for WPIAL there IS NO baseball.

9. calmdahn
    November 15, 2010 11:16 am

@BeauJacques – I’m not a Pitt alum.

10. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    November 15, 2010 11:20 am

I like hearing where the players go to school. Some players — especially when they felt they didn’t get the playing time or support they expected from the school — state their high school or some other institution instead of their college. Willie Parker refused to acknowledge North Carolina as his alma mater and always said his high school. Other times, players will say a school other than their college to acknowledge a coach from their early playing days. I once heard a player cite his grade school.

11. BeauJacques
    November 15, 2010 11:23 am

@Calmdahn-

neither is Ginny.

I would LUV, I mean LUV to have all the Div 1 players hoops and football players nationwide take the equivalent of the PA
    high school grad proficiency test after 4 years of “college” and be able to bet the over-under on THAT % !!

I’d put it at 15%.

That’s why the NCAA are simply nothing but pimps.

12. hater
    November 15, 2010 11:35 am

hate football. hate football players attitudes that everyone cares about every.little.thing.they’ve.done.

i went to hopewell. i’m so tired of hearing about tony dorsett. *eyeroll*

November 15, 2010 11:37 am

Gina/Sumire/Gina/Sumire/Gina/Sumire/Gina/Sumire …

November 15, 2010 11:41 am

I’m sensing BeauJacques on a daylong roll here, and I’d looking forward to it.

hater,

Don’t hate football. There’s nothing wrong with football. It’s a fine game for tossing around a ball in the backyard and running around and getting a bit of exercise.

Hate football players.

Hate football fans.

Hate football coaches.

Hate football broadcasters.

Hate everyone associated with football who yells at you about it nonstop 24/7.

But football? There’s nothing wrong with football.

15. BeauJacques
    November 15, 2010 11:44 am

@BucDad_

Sorry! Sunny in S. Hills, getting in at least 9 golf…have a great day! :-)

16. CrashJK
    November 15, 2010 12:12 pm

@BeauJacques – there IS BASEBALL in Pittsburgh and Western PA – you just need to know where to find it (example – collegiate players in Prospect League – Butler BlueSox and Slippery Rock Sliders), real wooden bat baseball with some exciting talent. I love going to BlueSox games (ticket, hotdog and beer for under $15 !). Add in the Washington Wild, The Altoona Curve and perhaps State College Spikes. Baseball fans do have choices (personally, I still go to Bucco games) and we flying under the Stiller radar most of the time….

that said,

LET’S GO PENS !!!! (luv my ‘Guins too)

17. Jaime
    November 15, 2010 12:16 pm

Jeremy and Sumire in one post………………Wowza indeed!

18. BlueBalls_xMLBfan
    November 15, 2010 12:16 pm

I think BJ meant MLB.

19. empirechick
    November 15, 2010 1:47 pm

CrashJK – I went to a couple Blue Sox games for the first time this year; what a blast! Neat park, friendly players, fun for kids, cool promotions (awesome fireworks!). Highly recommended for baseball fans, and I will definitely be there next summer!

20. Leslie in Dayton
    November 15, 2010 3:07 pm

I was glad to hear Ben say “Miami University” in his intro, and not the fictitious hometown of Cory-Rawson!

21. CrashJK
    November 15, 2010 3:35 pm

@empirechick…glad you liked Pullman Park. My son (he’s 11) and I go too a lot of the games…it’s pure baseball and the park adds to the charm of old time baseball. Last year, my son was sorta like the “king of Pullman”, all the ushers and players knew him, we’d sit along the first base line and he’d get high fives for the team, autographs and the occasional practice ball tossed up to him by the guys.

November 15, 2010 3:38 pm

what happened to ike taylor’s “ssssSWAGGA!!!”????

23. empirechick
    November 15, 2010 4:51 pm

@Crash – yes, definitely old time baseball! It doesn’t get any better than that for kids.

My church group sold tickets and volunteered at the park as a fundraiser, and a couple of the kids got to sit in the dugout during warmups as honorary batboys/girls. The pitcher that day was in the entry way after the game signing autographs and taking pictures. Who needs millionaires with attitude when you’ve got college kids who are just playing because they love it!

24. jeff
    November 15, 2010 6:26 pm

My random thought watching the game last night… everyone uses the cheating/spygate things as such a cop-out. Why not admit that you (like everyone else in Pittsburgh) hated the Pats way before spygate, because they won a lot, and won in Pittsburgh (a lot) and that the cheating just gives you an excuse to sound a little less petty/jealous.

My second random thought is that I’m surprised more Steelers fans can’t be objective of the Patriots. They are well-coached, accountable to themselves, well-behaved (no rape charges), never whine or complain about the refs (cough Ravens cough), and go about their business as a team. They won the first Superbowl in 2001-2 and everyone loved the upstart underdogs who were a real team, and 10 years later, everyone hates basically the same team. Yet judging by Steelers fan boards etc, only about 20% of fan (and other teams) fans appreciate that about them. Instead it’s just easy to fall into the “spygate/Bieber/jealous” act… The best you can come up with is a HAIRCUT? Why not just play the game, tip your hat, and try again next time… it’s what New England does.

25. Monty
    November 15, 2010 6:41 pm

Respectfully, are you crazy? Those same New England fans were sitting in Fenway Park for 86 years, sporting terrible moustaches and chanting “Yankees suck” when the Sox weren’t even playing the Yankees. Don’t fool yourself into thinking that it’s a region of champions just because karma threw you a 10-year respite from getting kicked in the nuts.

26. jeff
    November 15, 2010 6:46 pm

@Monty I’m not sure what you’re talking about. I never said anything about region of Champions, or even about New England fans, many of whom are incredibly obnoxious themselves. I’m just saying, tip your hat to a professional team, and go to work on next week. The Patriots probably have the most blue collar “go to work, one week at a time” attitude in the league. The good luck will go away, as is usually the case in football, and I was there for Bledsoe’s rookie year that was so awful, and I’ll be there after Brady/Belichick retire and the 4-12 seasons come back.

And PS It was about a 5 year respite… the 18-1 season was sufficient payback for any cheating/spygate stuff. I’d trade a Superbowl just to have missed the playoffs that year…

27. jeff
    November 15, 2010 6:47 pm

And the jackasses in Hemingways or Primanti’s are way worse than anything you find in Fenway park, trust me.

28. Monty
    November 15, 2010 7:10 pm

I’m surprised this requires an explanation, but your entire post was about Pittsburgh fans’ inability to be objective regarding the Patriots. I’m not sure why any comparison between the Patriots, as a football team, to Pittsburgh fans makes any sense at all. Apples to apples. And for the record, the Steelers, and Pittsburgh, invented the blue collar work ethic.

Separately, I’ve spent quality time in all three of those places, and you’re wrong. Trust me.

29. BeauJacques
    November 15, 2010 7:21 pm

@jeff

I too have spent a lot of time @Fenway, in Boston, Foxboro, and greater New England which only claimed fanship AFTER the Pats won a few….. THEY SUCK!!

Brady & Belechek are skank-ass motherfuckers and ALL Pats
    fans are dficks!!!

Get it??

30. jeff
    November 15, 2010 7:53 pm

@Monty, you are the one who brought up Patriots fans… as I’m hardly a typical NE fan, I really didnt comment much on them. I also haven’t really spent much time in New England since they’ve won any titles, so it makes it a lot harder to comment. And I was talking about Steelers fans, and the Patriots team… not comparing the two.

Pittsburgh may have invented blue collar work ethic, but I’d hardly describe Harrison/Reed/Roethlisberger/Ward etc as blue collar. It might pain you to hear it, but Brady was always the hardest worker, blue collar guy, at least until recently. You basically proved my point… a city that invented blue collar work ethic, should appreciate a team that embodies it.

31. jeff
    November 15, 2010 7:54 pm

@BeauJacques You are wrong, and hiding behind internet anonymity. You are the worst kind of internet-dwelling lowlife and I have no problem ignoring your spiteful diatribe.

32. Michelle Smiles
    November 16, 2010 1:02 am

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who wonders about the college thing. I was telling my husband how silly it seemed after awhile and I tweeted it http://twitter.com/#!/MichelleSmiles/status/4017575021248512 No idea why I felt the need to prove that I tweeted it. Heh. Awkward.

33. BeauJacques
    November 16, 2010 9:22 am

@Jeff-

Off is the general direction I prefer you to fuck.

Go stroke some fair-weather Pats fans balls instead of stinking up this room!

Net anonymity? I don’t see your full name, address, email!

Ya hypocrite beantown ratbastard ya!