1. Last night while watching the game —
— I had a thought. Why is it that in football we give a crap what college the players attended?
I mean, think about it. Some of these guys haven’t been in college for ten or more years.
Can you imagine if baseball was like that?
“And up at the plate, here’s Freddy Sanchez batting out of Glendale Community College.”
It’s just weird and I’d like to know why they do it, thanks.
2. An email from reader Traci:
Here’s a funny anecdote I found in Reader’s Digest that I’d thought I’d share. The article had various pilots sharing their secrets about airlines, etc. This quote came from a pilot in Charlotte, NC.
“We’re not sitting in the cockpit listening to the ball game. Sometimes we can ask the controllers to go to their break room to check the score. But when I fly to Pittsburgh on a Sunday afternoon, the passengers send the flight attendants up at least 10 times to ask us the Steelers score.”
3. According to Charity Navigator, Pittsburgh has the highest rated charitable community in the nation in terms of financial health, up from fourth place last year, proving once again that Pittsburgh is coming through the recession better than other cities and that Pittsburghers are incredibly, incredibly generous, even in times of financial hardship.
Can I say this again? Suck it, America.
4. Remember Smokin’ Hot Burgher, model, Olympic Skier, and one-time Steeler Jeremy Bloom?
Let me remind you:
Jeremy has been up to good, lately.
Do I know how to pick ’em or what?
(h/t Terry K)
5. Adam Frey’s foundation is putting a book out about his battle with cancer that will include many of Adam’s own words from the blog he diligently kept as he fought the disease that eventually took his life at the young age of 23.
6. Those fashion mavens among you are going to be very interested in this on-line magazine called d’Arte that several CMU students have created. It’s a stunning collection of fashion images that celebrate CMU and feature clothing from Pittsburgh’s boutiques. So many beautiful faces and poses and photos.
I think I have a girl crush on CMU student Sumire Matsubara now.
Definitely would put her in my imaginary “Smokin’ Hot Burghers Calendar.”
That really needs to be a real thing.
7. Posts coming up today –> Ti Kanaval wrap up post complete with winning raffle numbers, then a post about my Philly trip and how I took an elevator ride with another famous person, and then finally WTRT: [VIOLENT VOMITING] Edition.