My comment

It has been [go Google it and fill in the blank] days since the Pirates announced Clint Hurdle as their new manager and I haven’t written a word about it.

Why?

Because what do I say?

“Second verse, same as the first?”

“Been there, done that?”

“Stick a daisy in a pile of shit and it’s still a pile of shit?”

“This too shall pass?”

“My dog rolls in bunny poop?”

No really, my dog rolls in bunny poop. This is gross and upsetting and has nothing to do with this post unless we substitute “My dog” with “The Pirates” and “rolls in” with “smell like.”

This is a weird post.

I guess I’m not getting excited yet. We have all winter. We have football and we have hockey. Then spring training will roll around and we’ll see how the Pirates fare against some of the better community colleges down in Florida.

I can’t believe I just wrote that. [sigh]

You know me. You know I want to win. SO BADLY. I staked my name on it. I literally BET on it that 2010 was the year, and 2010 laughed in my face and bitchslapped me with 105 games lost.

So this is Clint Hurdle, Pittsburgh:

I have no comment yet, except to say this: I want to touch his amazing hair.

1. Butcher's Dog
    November 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Worst to first in two years. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Clint’s the guy to get it done. Just think what he can do for Pedro’s hitting. We get James McDonald to keep throwin’ the way he did, get Charlie “Chuck and Duck” Morton on a roll, mix in a soft-toss lefty or two, and we’re in business.

Hey, everybody’s gotta have a dream, right? It’ll be a nice way to top off watching the Pens skate the Cup at Consol to have the Buccos run the table during the season. Or the next one.

2. Bucfaninva
    November 18, 2010 6:02 pm

Ginny, one of reasons Clint picked Pittsburgh was because his daughter Madison has Prader-Willi Syndrome, and Pittsburgh is one of the premiere locations for those suffering from the disease. That should make you care about him more (and I don’t mean that in a snarky way.)

November 18, 2010 7:59 pm

he turned down an academic scholarship to harvard.

so, it seems like he’s fairly intelligent.

not sure how much, since he turned it down.

not to mention wanting to manage the black hole of suck that are your pittsburgh pirates.

4. empirechick
    November 19, 2010 2:06 am

I admire his pluck – he actually admitted on the radio that the Pirates’ record-setting losing streak was part of the draw to get him here.

Gotta love a man who a) recognizes the IMMENSE challenge, and b) is willing to grab that challenge with both hands (as in, put his reputation on the line for the thrill of said challenge)

A man with those cahones (not to mention hair and specs) is worth my very guarded optimism for at least a month or two. AND, according to unsatisfied, he was offered a Harvard scholarship?? Well, hot dog, he’s a smarty pants to boot – I’M IN!!!

5. Just A Simple Man
    November 19, 2010 9:02 am

So far I’m impressed he’s said more in the first week with more “fire” in his words than JR did his entire time here… LOL

6. Al Lambrini
    November 19, 2010 10:15 am

For a guy like this, Pittsburgh is the perfect choice. It is essentially a free option with unlimited upside. If the pirates manage for whatever reason to string together a couple of winning seasons, this guy is a hero and cements his reputation names as a tunaround expert. If (in the much more likely scenario) they continue to suck wind, this guy collects a pay check for a couple of years and moves on and really does not bare the blame. it is the Bucs after all, how can you blame it on an average middle of the road MLB manager when you see all the problems he is dealing with?

7. Me
    November 19, 2010 10:36 am

So far he seems like a good guy. I hope the Pirates ownership doesn’t suck the life out of him.

8. Angry Mongo
    November 19, 2010 10:43 am

@Me

Well, you know what the slogan for the Pirates was, right? WE WILL!

9. CrashJK
    November 19, 2010 10:50 am

I BELIEVE !!! and I like Clint Hurdle so far…I will attend more games this coming season. I changed my attitude towards the team when they brought the new “young guns” up – Neil, Pedro, Jose and just fun to watch. I do BELIEVE this will change the pattern. That said…

LET’S GO PENS !!!!!!….and touched by Alyssa – woot

10. fake John Russell
    November 19, 2010 10:58 am

You never said anything nice about my hair, and now you’ll never get to touch it. Unless you come to the Baltimore series June 20-22.

11. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    November 19, 2010 12:00 pm

I’m happy with this choice. I was really expecting the team to stay within the organization and am glad they didn’t. Also, I always think “this year is the year” for the Bucs, so eventually I’ll get it right, right?

As for him turning down Harvard, in my mind that is a sign of intelligence. My sister went to Harvard and while she’s done well, I also got accepted, but chose to go to a smaller, more local college and have done just as well, without having the massive debt load since the financial aid package to Harvard in the 80s only covered about half of the costs and the financial aid package I received covered 90% of the costs. That would have been a different story if I were applying today due to the changes in the Ivies pretty much giving low-income students full tuition scholarships now.

November 19, 2010 12:30 pm

You watch, we’ll be getting over that .500 hurdle any year now.*

Bucdaughter got accepted to Vanderbilt, and the financial aid people there made what they thought was a really generous aid offer, and it was, I guess. We would have paid about one-third the full rate. Still would have been more than $13,000 a year (for the first year, and we were looking at a five-year double degree, so it would only have gone up). I told her if she really wanted to go, we’d find a way, probably by selling the house.

Instead she went to WVU tuition-free, on scholarships (then to U. of Hartford for grad school, where she did pile up debt), and I seriously doubt she’s any worse off for it. Like I told her, it’s never going to happen that 10 years from now you’ll be driving down the road and pass someone holding a sign that reads “You f***ed up, you REALLY should have gone to Vandy.” You make your choices and live with them, and who knows that things might not have turned out a lot worse for you otherwise? You can only know where you are, not where you might have been.

*–couldn’t help myself.

13. Justin
    November 19, 2010 2:08 pm

Clint Hurdle for some reason reminds be of Buddy Garrity from FNL… weird.

14. Piratesfan
    November 19, 2010 2:13 pm

Heres an article that, regardless of your feelings on the Pirates, will make you like Clint a little more and cheer for him harder: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Report-Daughter-s-illness-a-big-reason-Hurdle-t

15. Piratesfan
    November 19, 2010 2:16 pm

Dang it! That link is WAY buried and doesn’t make any sense if you click on the link: this one should be better: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/15/why-clint-hurdle-took-the-pirates-job/

16. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    November 19, 2010 2:38 pm

@bucdaddy — well said! In law school, we had a saying “B = JD”.

17. Carpetbagger
    November 19, 2010 3:29 pm

I’m somewhat touched that Hurdle came here partly because the Burgh has a world-class clinic for Prader-Willi Syndrom, which his eight-year-old daughter Madison suffers from. (Sick kids!) Hurdle is the national spokesman for the condition. For that reason alone, I hope he comes here and kicks ass.

But does his name have to be Hurdle? What? We couldn’t hire Billy Impediment or Ollie Obstacle? Like it’s not hard enough?

November 19, 2010 10:53 pm

Doesn’t Ollie Obstacle run in the pierogie races?