Egg with eye of newt

Over at Twitter there’s a fantastic hashtag —

Uh, let me translate for those of you not on Twitter: “Over at that site where people communicate in 140 characters or less, there’s a fantastic label categorizing certain messages…”

That category is this “Whatmakesmeayinzer.”

Forget for a moment our debate over whether “yinzer” is positive or negative because I am right and you are wrong and yinzer is negative.

[winky emoticon so you know I’m just kidding]

The point of the hashtag is, “What makes it evident that you’re from Pittsburgh.”

There are some really awesome ones:

But this one really struck home:

I didn’t realize until I was married that “dippy eggs” or “dip eggs” as we called them in our family, was not the correct way to refer to it. I always ordered dip eggs at local restaurants and I was never given a “WTF?” look.  I would ask for dip eggs and they’d bring me dip eggs goshdarnit. Eggs that you dip your toast in. This is so basic.

So I got married ten years ago and one morning I asked my new husband to make me some dip eggs and you’d have thought I’d ask for eggs with hair of goat.

“Dip eggs? What is a dip egg?”

“An egg. That I can dip my toast into. Dip. Egg.”

“Would you be meaning an over easy egg by any chance?”

And that’s when I looked at him like he’d said “egg with ball of donkey.”

Over easy? Who ever heard of such a thing?

So I learned him good and then asked him to say “focus” for me.

1. red pen mama
    November 19, 2010 1:42 pm

We grew up saying dippy eggs in my house. We STILL say dippy eggs, and I married a Pittsburgh boy who knows what dippy eggs means.

And did you ever notice that dippy eggs on toast with grape jelly (what?) makes the dippy green?

I’m going to go play at Twitter now.

2. CrashJK
    November 19, 2010 1:52 pm

Speaking of Eat n Park….that chick, Sarah Marince scares ME !!!…Those HUGE TEETH and wrinkled eye-brow, sorry….ain’t diggin’ it (not to mention those stupid, fake commercial extras raving about the “food”). Then again, it’s professional grade compared to King’s lo-fi commercials that rival South Park for junior high graphic skills…..so be it…

LET’S GO PENS….oh, Sarah sang the anthem at Wednesday’s game….the glare from her teeth and MAF’s teeth should be harnessed for alternate energy sources…just sayin’…

3. MadMadMad
    November 19, 2010 1:53 pm

Love the one about directions using no-longer-in-existence landmarks. People in Beaver County (I know, I know, it’s not technically *Pittsburgh*) still give directions using Spotlight 88 (an old drive-in theater) as a point of reference – despite the fact that it was wiped off the map by the tornado that rolled through in May 1985…..

4. Karen Dickinson
    November 19, 2010 1:56 pm

I think it’s evident I’m from Pgh because my kids, who were born and raised in Florida say “gumband”, “dishworsher”, and pronounce the word “Color”….”keller”. Too bad they never learned the meaning of “Turn Bill Burns on”

5. spoon
    November 19, 2010 2:09 pm

I wreak of love gone sour, suspicion and big hair #whatmakesmeayinzer

6. Ms Redd
    November 19, 2010 2:17 pm

I have been gone from Pittsburgh a long time but I still say I have to redd up the house.

7. bluzdude
    November 19, 2010 2:28 pm

I listened to a Steelers game with an earphone wired up under my jacket during my grandmother’s wake.

8. SpudMom
    November 19, 2010 2:28 pm

I tweeted a pic I took today at Dunkin’ Donuts with the comment “Only in Pittsburgh” – it was a picture of a Caution: Wet Floor sign and someone had taken a Shaprie, crossed out “Wet” and written in “Slippy.”

9. Pensgirl
    November 19, 2010 2:29 pm

I am not on twitter, so this will have to suffice:

Because I pronounce it “Turtle CRICK.”

10. JenEngland
    November 19, 2010 2:29 pm

I grew up outside of Philly but my parents are both from Pittsburgh. So I eat dippy eggs, my cousins have a crick behind their house, and my car needs washed. Glad I moved home where it all makes sense.

11. alison
    November 19, 2010 2:32 pm

i posted countless #whatmakesmeayinzer tweets yeseterday. i honestly don’t know how many. i had someone threaten to “unfollow” me if i didn’t stop! but i really enjoyed reading what other people posted as well.

and this blog post gave me a crazy craving for dippy eggs and buttered toast… man!

12. DG
    November 19, 2010 2:38 pm

My first week of college out of state I asked my roommate (from NYC) for a “gumband”. I didn’t even know how to explain it any differently…

@bluzdude: LOL!

13. Jagoff
    November 19, 2010 2:46 pm

The toilet sitting in the middle of my basement. Didn’t know there was anything weird about that until you wrote a post about it.

14. Mike
    November 19, 2010 3:29 pm

I was shocked (and still am) when in college that people from outside the area did not know what a jaggerbush was. I had no other words to use. Took me a bit to come up with ‘thorn bush.’

15. YinzerInExile
    November 19, 2010 3:37 pm

It is consistently pointed out to me, by other displaced yinzers as well as people from Bawlmer (who think they can talk), that my tell is ye olde exclusion of “to be.” The laundry needs done, the dishes need washed, etc.

First week at college out of state I ran around a mall asking innumerable people where I could find a MAC machine. Nobody knew what I was talking about. Finally, I asked a perplexed individual where they went to take cash out of a machine. “Oh, you mean an ATM.”

And yes! Dippy eggs! It’s so *obvious*!

16. red pen mama
    November 19, 2010 3:45 pm

I had a roommate (from outside of Philly) who went on a RANT about “to be” once. I had no clue what he was talking about.

17. Burgh Baby
    November 19, 2010 3:58 pm

I have lived in Pittsburgh for ten years. For ten years, I have looked at yinz like you have 17 heads when you say “dippy eggs” because I had no freakin’ clue what the hell you were talking about until I read this post. I now feel . . . not smarter. Something else.

November 19, 2010 4:22 pm

another reason not to use twitter.

November 19, 2010 4:25 pm

@crashJK — I am in total agreement with you there about sarah whatsherface. she sang the anthem at one of the steelers’ pre-season games this year and her teeth made it impossible to see the field.

also agreed about those king’s commercials. I want to punch that dude in the hash browns.

20. JennyMoon
    November 19, 2010 4:29 pm

I agree w/Spoon. Love The Clarks!

21. Pa-pop
    November 19, 2010 5:01 pm

My wife says “dip eggs” but she was raised in New Middletown, OH. Apparently the Yinzer gene pool travels. I’m also the dip who makes the eggs she asks for.

22. eileen
    November 19, 2010 6:11 pm

Harrrd is Haaard. Howard is hired, of course.

23. Christa
    November 19, 2010 6:16 pm

I totally call it dippy eggs and I am from Maryland. But that possibly might just be MY family as I can’t order them that way at restaurants. Why does “over easy” make sense and “dippy” does not? I don’t get it.

24. facie
    November 19, 2010 6:21 pm

Nice, bluzdude!

I too had the “to be” problem. One of my college roommates looked at me as if I were on crack when I said that. To be fair, I had no idea what she was talking about when we would head to the dining hall, and she said she was getting on line (before, you know, there was “online”).

I do wonder if it is a Burgh thing to wear Steeler attire on Fridays before the game as well as to church on Sundays.

25. Baba Wawa
    November 19, 2010 6:45 pm

i still call the parking garage on smithfield the “old gimbels parking garage”….everyone knows what i mean

26. PA Girl in FL
    November 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Ginny, while you have posted about the ‘interestingly’ named towns in eastern PA, I didn’t think it was odd that I was from Beaver till as an innocent 17 year old, many years ago, I walked across my college campus with my high school shirtshirt that announced “BEAVER” in four inch tall letters…..It was ‘splained to me…

27. Cordicron
    November 19, 2010 7:40 pm

Someone yells Kennywood’s Open and everybody checks their fly to see if it is open…

28. PittinDC
    November 19, 2010 8:39 pm

I ALWAYS drop out “to be.” When I write, it is always in there, but when I speak, it never is! The one word that I say all the time that makes people in Maryland look at me like a crazy person is “nebby.” I had no idea that only people in Pittsburgh said nebby. I now have a friend that teases me about the word by saying it in an obnoxious Balmer accent.

29. NewBurgher
    November 19, 2010 8:46 pm

@facie – it is a Burgh thing. I lived in the Dallas area for 20 years, and for all the yapping you hear about the Cowboys, you all would be shocked at how *few* people wear their gear down there. I swear I used to see more people in Steeler gear then in Cowboys stuff. In the same way, I was once walking into an Albertson’s, wearing an old DVE sweatshirt, with the tiny DVE logo on it on the front, and I mean tiny. Some guy stopped me in the parking lot to ask if I was from da Burgh – I couldn’t believe he noticed it.

We had a neighbor who was born and raised here, and had to move down there for work. He told us he still had no idea when people in Dallas would give him directions and say “go east, south” – whatever way at a given intersection. LOL I guess all those years of any car trip probably taking you in at least 3 directions through the winding roads here before reaching your destination, just does not equal using the compass points for directions. :)

30. redram1
    November 19, 2010 10:16 pm

Dip eggs? Don’t forget the other breakfast staple… mothers oats!

31. facie
    November 19, 2010 10:27 pm

Redram, Mother oats! I have not heard that since I was probably six (though I remembered them as mothered oats).

I used to say “are” and “our” the same way, as pretty much every one around here does. Not sure if pronouncing “Don” and “Dawn” the same is a Burgh thing too. And I still can’t say “iron” very well (i.e., with two syllables). I wrote a paper on Pittsburghese during my senior year at Penn State. I and hundreds of people before and since, no doubt.

32. Heather
    November 19, 2010 10:32 pm

No one on the south knows what a hoagie is. And then they’re all ‘Oh, you mean Subway?’ Um…NO. Totally not the same.

33. Heather
    November 19, 2010 10:33 pm

IN the south. Should be IN. sheesh.

34. empirechick
    November 19, 2010 11:40 pm

Measuring distance by time is a Burgh thing??

It makes perfect sense to me – 5 miles on 79 and 5 blocks in Downtown are very different distances, but both about 5 minutes.

35. Clair
    November 20, 2010 12:26 am

one night I was looking for something to wrap around a deck of cards. we were at my in-laws (we lived in AZ at the time). I asked if they had a gumband and they looked at me as if my head had just exploded…hubby did too! I asked again and was like “you know, to hold the cards together?” ohh…a rubber band? uh…DUH, or so I thought! I had never realized that gumband was foreign outside of the ‘burgh.
    Also, when I was pregnant with my now 13 y/o, I was craving Wise chips in the worst way…again, we were living in AZ…and I asked hubby to get me some cuz he was going to the store for something else. he looked at me like an alien with 2 heads and I said “Wise…you know, the one with the owl on the front?” No dice…no Wise in AZ!! he had NO idea what it was and again, I had no idea that they were not out west! oh it was a sad day LOL. from then on, hubby refers to Wise chips (which were plentiful here in VA when we moved here but now are very hard to find!) as “owl chips.”
    and while I dislike dippy eggs, my oldest loves them but yeah, trying to order them in a restaurant in AZ, or even here in VA depending, is very difficult!

36. Joey
    November 20, 2010 10:03 am

I am a dentist in Hershey. My staff roll their eyes when they ask me how long I need for a procedure…I’ll say “nour” for an hour. Oh and Langcaster (Lancaster) is
    close by. They hate that!

November 20, 2010 11:48 am

The other day on another blog I frequent, somebody dissed Pittsburgh and I called him a jagoff. I bet he has no idea …

Is Sarah Marince the blonde in the E’nP commercials? I’d argue that she’s hotter than Gina, which takes some doing, but, yeah, she could tone down the teeth just a little bit.

Bucdaughter lives in Connecticut, where they call a yard sale a “tag sale” for reasons I don’t understand. In their favor, there’s a “Wings Over” a couple blocks from her apartment, something we could use 50 of around here.

*makes Frownie Brownie face*

38. NewBurgher
    November 20, 2010 12:54 pm

Moving onto CT, the first time we visited my SIL and her husband there, we went to the grocery store, get out of the car, and I hear my daughter start laughing hysterically. Then she runs over to where the shopping carts are kept and starts snapping pictures of their sign “return carriages here.” She was still laughing in the store, and once back in Texas told everyone the story “carriages – bwahahahah”. And you can all imagine her reaction to the toll booth guy’s accent outside of Boston …

39. DG
    November 20, 2010 11:26 pm

@ PA Girl in FL: THANK YOU. I thought I was the only one.

40. Angry Mongo
    November 22, 2010 9:21 am

My wife always said “dippy eye eggs” and I never knew what she meant and I’m from Fayette County!?!?!

But I completely forgot that was a SWPA thing. I’ll have to add that to my collection… and eventually, Pop and Slippy

41. PG Wodehouse
    November 22, 2010 9:59 am

This is a sad day for me. I lived in the South Hills for 30 years before moving out here. After reading this blog and Ginny’s column, I have come to realize that I’m not and never was a Pittsburgher. I had no idea what dippy eggs were, always use to be, don’t say worshed, cringe when I hear yinz, and am flabbergasted that yinzer has become some sort of affectionate nickname for the people of Pittsburgh.

42. PG Wodehouse
    November 22, 2010 10:05 am

I will admit to pronouncing Don and Dawn the same, along with gumbands and pop (not soda). Also, I know what a bug on the rug, a hoover and a bloop and a blast are. Maybe there’s hope for me yet.

43. Tracy in SC
    November 22, 2010 10:19 am

There’s the words and phrases (and dropped verbs) that scream Pittsburgh: Spigot. Rubbish. Redd up. J’eatyet? Dippy Eggs. Jagoff. Sliberty. Souside. But it’s also the dialect as a whole – the accent (for lack of a better term) with which they are said. It’s disctinct, easily recognizable anywhere, and it’s… well, HOME.

44. PG Wodehouse
    November 22, 2010 10:52 am

At least Pittsburghers know the proper pronunciation of Carnegie.

45. Ian Lindsay
    November 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Dippy eggs…. That is what the kids back home use to cal them. In Reading, Pa. Have not heard that term in a while….

46. toni
    November 22, 2010 2:02 pm

Here’s one that might be seldom heard…….anyone remember onion snow?

47. burgher-licious
    November 22, 2010 5:20 pm

When something goes bad I scream “Yoi” – but when its really bad it gets a “double Yoi”. Its more of a tribute than a Yinzer thing.