Sidney Crosby is not human.

Update: Debate as to whether this is real or CGI. Have at it.
————————–

I love twitter because it is full of girls who love hockey and who are awesome at finding hockey-related things on the internet.

This is one that @GenD80 found and was retweeted by @KylieD87.

I can’t even stand this. It’s so spectacular it makes my heart race and the hairs on my neck stand up.

Sidney Crosby isn’t human. He doesn’t walk with us, he walks AMONG us.

November 20, 2010 11:36 am

Cheese and crackers, that’s like that Tiger Woods commercial where he bounces the golf ball on the club head for 30 seconds, around and between his legs and behind his back, and then bats it into the right-field seats.

The one that gets me is the last one, him picking off the rolling puck. If he made it roll just so he could do that, I will find a way to give birth to his children.

2. BB
    November 20, 2010 11:43 am

holy jebus. why does the entire arena not bow down to him during each & every game?! i thought this was the video where he lined up the pucks and shot them all in to the net. i’m so glad it wasn’t, because this was far more impressive!

3. bluzdude
    November 20, 2010 11:45 am

I’m sorry, but put me in the camp that thinks it’s CGI. They’re very good at that stuff now.

Also, think back to the “basement dryer” commercial with Max. If Sid was this accurate, he’s have NEVER missed that giant dryer opening, ever.

4. Cordicron
    November 20, 2010 11:50 am

I don’t think Sidney would ever consent to phonying a video. He’s that good!

5. Brennie192
    November 20, 2010 12:19 pm

No way. Look at his expression after. He is not a good actor, no way he would fake that.

6. Kelly (@loosgroov)
    November 20, 2010 12:34 pm

I’m going with Not CGI. He misses one. And if someone CGIed that in, what was sidney doing? just shooting pucks at the boards for no reason? I’m looking it up further. Do you think Snopes knows about this? :)

7. Kelly (@loosgroov)
    November 20, 2010 12:43 pm

after further investigation, it would appear the video is a reebok promotion to show the accuracy and awesomeness of their new stick. i think if they CGIed that, people would be pretty pissed. so i’m still going with NOT cgi.

8. bluzdude
    November 20, 2010 1:05 pm

The fact that it’s a commercial for Reebok should make it more suspicious, not less. There are a whole series of commercials showing athletes doing amazing (and pretty much impossible) things. All are CGI’d. And the athletes are prohibited from talking about them.

9. Kelly (@loosgroov)
    November 20, 2010 1:21 pm

it wasn’t a commercial, it was a promotion video on the NHL network. and you seem awfully down on commercials when you used one in your comment to illustrate reality.

seriously, it looks real. who cares?

10. Christina
    November 20, 2010 1:33 pm

Exactly – who cares?

Maybe it was cut together (cutting some more misses out), but basically I believe he can do that and that he did it. He is THAT good.

And I LOVE that grin at the end – that alone is worth watching :)

BTW: Thank you Sid, Sexy Hair & Flower – you made my night yesterday!

11. bluzdude
    November 20, 2010 1:41 pm

Commercial, promotional video… no matter… it’s still the same principle.

And it only matters because on Ginny’s twitter, she asked peoples opinion on whether or not CGI was used. I contributed mine.

I’m not trying to denigrate Sid in the least. I think he’s the best player in the league. But come on… there’s no way he makes one puck roll along the boards so he can then pick it off.

I wish it were so. Go Pens.

12. Kelly (@loosgroov)
    November 20, 2010 1:56 pm

heheh, the funny part is, i don’t really care if you denigrate sidney because i just moved to PGH from Buffalo, and i love the Sabres. (no-one punch me! having a really crappy team is enough punishment!) I just thought the rolling puck part was a happy accident that he capitalized on. agree to disagree and maybe we will find out soon if it’s real or not. Go Sabres. (again, no punching. i’m here reading That’s Church, right? close enough to being a Pens fan) :)

13. CrashJK
    November 20, 2010 2:39 pm

Nope…pretty darn human, just finished the cover story in the new Pittsburgh magazine…(page 40). Ok, I read your column first Ginny – I scored 100 % on the quiz !

Sid is human, a good soul and we are blessed to have him and his talents here in da ‘Bugh. I’m glad my 11 year old son holds him as a sports role model.

LET’S GO PENS !!!!

14. Cathy
    November 20, 2010 2:54 pm

Who care CGI or not. Darn he’s fine!! Has anyone noticed (No offense to Mr. Sex Hair) but Mr. #45 Asham has some lucious locks of his own.
    But I digress. Sid’d the man in all things hockey and i belive he can do anything with a stick and puck but my love is still rooted in some free candy…yyuummmmm

15. Baraboo
    November 20, 2010 3:40 pm

What is CGI?

16. red pen mama
    November 20, 2010 3:53 pm

I would guess not CGI (@Baraboo: Computer Generated Image — in other words, special effects), but I also don’t think he did this in one take. I think after he knocked down the pyramid a couple of times, he probably noticed the occasional puck rolling along, and he decided he would take advantage of that if it happened while filming. That said, I still think it’s a pretty neat trick. I probably couldn’t stand up on skates and hit a puck, let alone pick off one or two from how-ever-many feet.

17. Dave
    November 20, 2010 4:08 pm

It’s spliced together. (Sorry to disappoint.)

Before the last puck is shot, that last puck is the only one left in the vicinity of Sid. After it’s shot, and the camera moves back to him, two more pucks appear on the ice.

18. mark
    November 20, 2010 9:14 pm

Let’s remember this is the same Sidney Crosby who put a baseball in the Allegheny River with little to no baseball playing history. Not CGI, he’s simply super human. All he does day in and day out is practice with a stick and puck so why goofing around with no pressure wouldn’t he be able to pull this off.

19. B-boy
    November 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Going with Dave on this one. Them two pucks at the end came out of nowhere. Still a cool vid though.

20. steeler_tom
    November 20, 2010 10:23 pm

S’cool….
    Dang good video…

21. Fake Schamke
    November 21, 2010 2:17 am

Although it probably IS CGI, that doesn’t mean he can’t do it.

If a quarteback can hit a target 50 yards away most of the time, why can’t the best hockey player in the game hit a target 10 yards away?

22. Neesie
    November 21, 2010 10:12 am

Even if it was spliced together, I don’t doubt that he can aim that accurately. It’s not like these guys are just randomly shooting at the net and it’s lucky when they score a goal. They are picking corners, aiming above the goalie…etc. That’s why I love the NHL skills challenge (before the All-Star game)..amazing stuff.

Mmm…I love hockey players. Especially Sid. :)

23. LisaB
    November 21, 2010 12:27 pm

It is spliced (well spotted on the two-extra-pucks thing) but who cares? He still hit that rolling puck, and he’s still superhuman. Go Sid!

Asham is a hottie, but I sooo miss Jordan Staal.

24. Butcher's Dog
    November 21, 2010 2:01 pm

I’m with Kelly on the “happy accident” part of the rolling puck. The shoot was part of him testing out the new Rebock sticks. There’s more with him shooting at a net that’s not anchored and basically driving it backwards with each shot. He’s the man and more genuine than most of the non-hockey Pgh. sports figures. I’m going with the non-CGI camp on this one.

25. brybry
    November 21, 2010 11:02 pm

@bb – The other video (The one of sid lining up the pucks and shooting into the open net) is actually just as impressive, I think. In that one, if you pay attention, he hits the back post with every shot. He’s also taking slap shots, which are much harder to aim than wrist shots, and shooting hard enough to actually move the goal with each shot. Just sayin’.

26. Angry Mongo
    November 22, 2010 9:25 am

@Fake Schamke

“Brett Farve is 40 years old, yet can still hit the pylon in the back corner of the endzone 9 time out of 10 throwing from the 40 yard line.”

Yeah, but he has all these bad intentions in doing it.

27. red pen mama
    November 22, 2010 9:40 am

And just to be clear: editing is a different animal than CGI.

November 22, 2010 1:33 pm

let’s put it this way.

if he did it then, he could do it again.

like, say, during a live sports broadcast at 6:40pm with pompeani live from the consol.

make it happen, bob.

29. fake
    November 22, 2010 6:39 pm

This is 100% CGI’d (alteast the last part is).

Take a look at the pile of pucks at about 0:17 or so, right when he flips up that one puck that starts rolling, you’ll notice after when they pan back for a second, there’s another puck sitting to the right of that pile that appeared out of nowhere. Also, take a look at the puck before it starts rolling. If it look closely, the puck itself looks really fake, and the way it bounces up and falls to the left before it rolls looks really unnatural. There are also two pucks to the left of Crosby on the ice that appear at 0:17 that weren’t there previously.

30. JONESY
    November 22, 2010 7:58 pm

this is definatly not CGI’d but it is spliced together… why the hell would they CGI in those 2 pucks after hes hits the rolling puck? its still pretty sick that he can do all that even if its not all in a row

31. Cassie
    November 22, 2010 9:46 pm

Reminds me of the Tiger Woods Nike commercial where between filming, they catch him dribbling the golf ball on the end of his club and whisper to him, “Hey, Tiger, we’re filming,” and he throws it up and drives it.

It takes talent to do that kind of stuff, regardless if it’s CGI’d or not. Clearly he can pick off a rolling puck. He’s the shit. That’s all.

32. fake
    November 23, 2010 12:08 pm

the frames where pucks become visible out of nowhere are spliced, but the rolling puck is definetly CGI’d. I mean just look at it closely…it looks fake as hell.

33. bobblehead joe
    November 26, 2010 3:43 am

@Fake

Good call on spotting those edits but I don’t think there’s any use of special effects beyond the edits. I mean, if they used CGI there would be no need for the editing, right? And if it were CGI, they wouldn’t have made the mistakes with the misplaced pucks.

Hitting a puck that’s rolling at 1mph is not a big deal for an elite player like Crosby. He’s going to miss sometimes, but it’s not worth CGIing something that he can clearly do. We’re talking about an athlete that can routinely make an 80foot saucer pass to a guy moving 20mph while someone’s trying to take his head off. That takes way more skill than is displayed in this commercial.

Definitely edited/spliced. Not likely CGI’d.

I’m interested to hear more about the other one where Crosby is moving the net with his shots. If the net’s off it’s moorings and it took place on fresh ice, I could totally see that being real and I doubt he’s the only guy in the league who could do that. When I go to Flyers games, every warmup right before the final buzzer Danny Briere lines up 5 pucks at the top of the left circle and slaps them one at a time in the exact spot… top right corner off the post. I mean, look at Stamkos. About 12 of his goals are pretty much the exact same goal and he’s doing that in a game.

These players are just incredible.

Switch to our mobile site