My heroes.

The men of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity at Pitt completed the Backyard Run recently, where their members ran a football from WVU to Pitt to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis.

SICK KIDS.

Led by student Dan Timko, they raised almost $8,000! Much more than the $2,500 they raised last year. Psst. You can still donate.

Here they are running:

You can see more pictures at their facebook page.

Here they all are with a big giant thank you to everyone who donated!

I can’t tell you how happy it makes my heart. I sincerely mean that.

I think I already named these guys as Awesome Burghers, but they’re all getting it again for doing what they set out to do.

I just want to hug them all and then maybe cook them a hot meal or something.

I’m such a mom.

November 23, 2010 12:18 pm

Bravo, Phi Delts! Our turn next year.

Looks like they took the side roads. I always figured they ran a straight shot up I-79 and then the parkway. Maybe they use U.S. 19?

What’s the name of the church in the middle photo? All I can read is “(something)haven United Methodist Church.”

2. Billy Brown
    November 23, 2010 12:38 pm

That’s Fairhaven United Methodist Church. It’s at 51 and Underwood St in the South Hills.

Our route is mostly 19 with some back roads, correct.
    Thanks for everyone’s support!

November 23, 2010 1:18 pm

as someone with 3 cousins who died of cystic fibrosis – thank you.

4. K
    November 23, 2010 1:27 pm

I’ve seen so many kids die of CF. It’s a horrific way to die. There are advances SO CLOSE that could mean the end of some forms of CF, and it’s thanks to people like you and your support.

Thank you guys, from the bottom of my heart. If a cure is found tomorrow, it won’t be too soon.

5. LucyLou
    November 23, 2010 1:32 pm

Way to go Phi Delts! Many don’t realize or recognize the community service efforts put forth by the social fraternities and sororities at our area colleges/universities. It’s nice to see the positive highlighted! Great effort by all, it looks like you guys had a good time in the process. $8,000 for CF rocks!

6. Dan Timko
    November 23, 2010 1:35 pm

Thanks to everyone who supported us! The cystic fibrosis foundation has made giant leaps as far as helping those with Cystic Fibrosis. One of our brothers has this disease. He recently just graduated from Pitt and works for the NAVY in Washington D.C. A cure is right around the corner and we’re happy to help speed up the process anyway possible. Look for us again next year!

Hail to PITT! Beat WVU!

7. Tiffany
    November 23, 2010 3:40 pm

These guys are awesome, I <3 them!

8. Cassie
    November 23, 2010 6:09 pm

Awesome, guys. Simply awesome.

November 23, 2010 10:03 pm

*clap … clap … clap …*

10. cmd_45
    November 24, 2010 9:28 am

What a great bunch of guys!

11. becky
    November 24, 2010 10:20 am

No lie, this brings a tear to my eye. Way to go Phi Delts … HAIL TO PITT!!