Thankfully.

Yesterday on my way to town to see Rock of Ages a car tried to dart across Route 30 and plowed into my Mom-DorkMobile, pushing my SUV into the oncoming traffic lanes. Luckily, no one else hit me and other than feeling sore and a weird numbness in my fingers that has since subsided, I’m just fine and dandy and THANKFUL.

Thankful that it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. Sure my car was towed, my front end looking a bit mangled, and one of my tires pretty much disintegrated, but I’m okay. My kids weren’t with me. I didn’t break any bones. I made it to the show on time after the wonderful East McKeesport police officers took good care of me and made sure I got where I needed to be after my car was carried off looking all sad and droopy and smoky.

I’m hoping my car won’t be a total loss because David Conrad’s butt was in that car. It’s a collector’s item for the love of God! At least they could give me back the passenger seat and I could have it installed in a new car.

That wouldn’t be weird at all.

But seriously. The close call made me especially thankful for the simple things in life, you know?

Life can suck. Life is hard. Life hurts.

Embrace the joy where you find it, no matter how small, and be thankful it was there for the finding.

Much love to you all and I’ll see you Monday!

1. San
    November 24, 2010 9:32 pm

I’m thankful you’re ok!

2. Burghthing
    November 24, 2010 9:52 pm

I’m thankful for you Ginny. Thankful you’re OK, too. Now go and enjoy the holiday.

3. Suz
    November 24, 2010 10:17 pm

Glad that you are okay. Be careful out there!

4. Sue
    November 24, 2010 10:43 pm

So glad you weren’t hurt. Enjoy your Thanksgiving and I am proud of you for graduating from “cups and ice”.

5. G-Man
    November 24, 2010 11:26 pm

Ginny – so glad you’re not hurt. I know the feelings you describe. In late February my car was spun around within walking distance of my house by a driver talking on the phone who ran a red light. My car was totaled but I was unhurt, like you.
    You reminded me I need to be thankful for that on Thursday.
    Best to you and your family.

6. Scott
    November 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Glad you’re ok. Happy Thanksgiving.

7. steeler_tom
    November 24, 2010 11:35 pm

I’m thankful to that you are ok.
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving Ginny, I’ll include you in our blessings, since you’ve blessed so many lives (even if you did shame some of us into being better people at more than appropiate Times)
    Thank you for everything you do and write! =-D

8. Christina
    November 24, 2010 11:45 pm

…”pushing my SUV into the oncoming traffic lanes”

That was really dangerous! I am so happy that nothing really bad happened to you.

Now take some time off, take care for yourself and your numb fingers, relax and enjoy Thanksgiving with your wonderful family.

BUG HUGS

Christina, from Barcelona at the moment.

November 24, 2010 11:53 pm

Jesus, Virginia. I hope Mr. Virginia doesn’t take tbis the wrong way, but: I love you, honey, and I’m glad you’re OK.

Many years ago, I was sitting at a red light on Route 30, in the right hand lane, and I was looking at the car stopped in the left-hand lane when a drunk plowed into it from the rear and shoved it all the way across the intersection. Once I ascertained that everyone was OK, I cheerfully pulled to the side and waited for the cops to show up, so I could tell them unequivocally who was at fault, in hopes that they’d put him away for generations.

Drunk drivers give us casual drinkers a bad name.

10. bluzdude
    November 24, 2010 11:57 pm

I’m so happy you’re OK, Ginny. That could have been so much worse. I think we all have something else to be thankful for on Thursday.

Plus, if your hands wouldn’t have un-numbed, you would have had to hire an editor.

11. Chris
    November 25, 2010 12:58 am

Glad to hear you are OK–enjoy the family and the holiday…

12. Guins29
    November 25, 2010 9:29 am

Glad you’re safe, Ginny!! Take care, have a happy Thanksgiving!

13. annietiques
    November 25, 2010 10:22 am

Ginny, I am including you in my daily prayer “To envelope my family in safety”.

As I say to each of my children and husband as they leave our home, “Be careful, I love you” this includes you and yours!

Have a wonderful holiday.

14. Wendielu
    November 25, 2010 10:35 am

So glad you’re ok. One more thing to be thankful for today!

Now, am I to understand you made it to the show? Where were you sitting? Did you get a good look at the crazy woman in the front row dancing up and down the aisle and eventually being removed FROM THE STAGE by a PA??!?!?!?

(wasn’t me.)

I thought, “Surely Ginny will have something to say about this.”

Rawk!

15. cmd_45
    November 25, 2010 10:44 am

We hope you are still feeling okay and having a blessed Thanksgiving day.

16. Magnus Patris
    November 25, 2010 10:51 am

Glad your OK. Happy Thanksgiving to you and David; your husband, not Conrad.

17. Butcher's Dog
    November 25, 2010 11:27 am

Add me to the “glad you’re OK” list. Also, you should try to spend at least a bit of today trying to bring the rest of your physical person up (or down!) to the level of numbness of your fingers. Just sayin’.

Love the ones you love, people. They’re all we really have in the end.

18. e3
    November 25, 2010 12:18 pm

Very glad you are okay! I am thankful for thatschurch.com, it is part of what makes Pittsburgh awesome.
    Hope you get lots of hugs today!

19. Xena
    November 25, 2010 12:55 pm

Ginny, So glad you are OK. But get to a doctor about that tingling, even if it is gone. I was in an accident years ago and had a sore neck for a long time. I just suffered with it, not being a lawsuit-happy, neck-collar-wearing sort of person. But last year, I had an extra as part of trying to figure out what is wrong with my shoulder, and there is a chip of neck bone floating around. The chiropractor (a very good one who is not out to suck up your insurance) said, “When were you in a car that was hit from behind?” That was 30 years ago. Get checked out NOW–not so sue someone, but to know why those fingers were tingling.

20. Xena
    November 25, 2010 12:56 pm

Not “extra”–X-Ray. Damn autocorrect.

November 25, 2010 1:02 pm

Xena makes a good point. Bucdaughter has been in a couple accidents and I have instructed her NEVER to hop out of the car and say, “Don’t worry, I’m OK.” Because a day or week or month or 30 years later you can have a problem that entitles you to compensation but that you may have forfeited at the time by announcing that you were fine. Back and neck injuries provide a lifetime of torment. It’s not a matter of being lawsuit-happy, it’s a matter of getting what you are entitled to.

22. Robin
    November 25, 2010 2:01 pm

Thankful YOU’RE ok!

23. Joe K.
    November 25, 2010 2:16 pm

I’ve been in fender-benders but never pushed into an oncoming lane like that. Glad you’re OK.

24. MrsGJG
    November 25, 2010 10:30 pm

I’m glad you’re ok, sister. I would have freaked the freak out. Brace yo’selves.

25. NewBurgher
    November 25, 2010 11:24 pm

Ginny, so glad you’re ok, I’ve learned so much from you over the past year since arriving from TX about da Burgh. Already loved it already anyway, but at least now i know what the “strip district” is, and I always know what’s going on here! I have to 3rd the recommend that you see a doc about that numbness thing, even if it went away. An older lady ran a stop sign and ran into my daughter’s car last year, right into the driver’s side, knocked her unconscious. She was released from hospital same day but has started getting headaches this summer, I’m almost positive it’s related. Better you get checked out and make sure you’re really ok! Take care and I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

26. Maggie K
    November 26, 2010 10:45 am

Glad you are ok as that could have turned out horrible. Those close calls in life always make you realize how thankful we should be!

27. YinzerInExile
    November 26, 2010 12:30 pm

Yegawd! Glad you came through it unscathed!

28. Just A Simple Man
    November 26, 2010 12:54 pm

Glad your OK… THE most important part.

Now for where David Conrad sat, you can always pull the seat out if it’s totaled and install it near your “Pittsburgh Potty”. Kind like a lounge chair, just sayin.

29. Ms. Redd
    November 26, 2010 2:36 pm

So happy that you are okay after that incident. Did you happen to get a desription of the car that caused all this for the police? Also.that tingling in your hands could have come from hyperventilating- which, considering what you went through, would not have surprising.

30. Ms. Redd
    November 26, 2010 2:40 pm

Re #28- you could always take the “Conrad” seat, get David to autograph it and auction it off for one of your charities!

31. Bitter
    November 27, 2010 2:49 am

Really glad to hear you’re okay! It seems like every time I open the news apps this week, a new, fatal car crash or three are being reported. Has anyone else noticed that?

32. Beatrice
    November 27, 2010 4:46 pm

Glad you are okay. And I’m very impressed that you still made it to the show! Great post — thanks for reminding us all to be, well, thankful for the little (actually the big) things.

33. red pen mama
    November 27, 2010 8:25 pm

Car accidents are scary. I am glad you are okay.

Hope your Thanksgiving was great.

34. Jen
    November 27, 2010 11:24 pm

whoa! Did I miss this on Twitter? So glad you’re alright! That would have been scary.

35. Matt DC
    November 28, 2010 1:24 pm

My immediate thoughts upon reading your post:
    1. Q – Were the kids there? A- No, thank God.
    2. Q – Are you okay? A – Apparently yes, thank God.
    3. Q – Will this incident adversely affect your ability to produce a WTWRT post tomorrow that renders me incontinent? Again? A – TBD.

36. Pensgirl
    November 29, 2010 11:15 am

I agree that you should get checked out, if you haven’t already. Don’t rely on your memory of the event…your brain just had too much to do at the time of impact to record everything that happened to your body. When I was rear-ended as I sat at a red light, the only reason I ever “knew” my head must have hit the wheel was that later that day, there was bruising on my temple. I never actually recalled my head hitting anything, just a general pitching forward. It’s worth the hassle of a doctor visit to be sure you’re really OK.

37. Rita
    November 29, 2010 1:09 pm

So glad you were okay. Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. To all you parents out there reading this. School has been out in Birmingham, AL this past week. They’ve lost now SIX teenagers to auto accidents this week alone. Apparently, all were due to excessive speed. I’m sorry and I’m not a mother, but why do 15 and 16 year old girls need to be out at 3 a.m.? The 15 year old burned to death in the vehicle. The 16 year old driver’s father is a medic and was first on the scene to find his daughter standing in the street after having been ejected. Watch your children, please. V, didn’t mean to get on a soapbox, and again, glad God was watching over you.

38. Kathy
    November 29, 2010 2:11 pm

glad that you are okay. If the car is a loss, you’ll have a clean car without having to do any work! I don’t recommend it weekly, but still.
    \
    You could keep the passenger seat and put it in the living room. Perfect for watching Sunday football – even if the Steelers are sucking wind, you can say, “lalala Steelers aren’t losing but I don’t care because I’m sitting where David Conrad sat.” you may want to use your inside voice or your real-life hubby might complain and say, “focus!”

39. Mermanda
    November 29, 2010 4:17 pm

Glad to hear you were okay, Ginny. I hope you had a good holiday.