This is getting ridic.

Today is Steeler Sunday.

It is rainy and 40 degrees outside.

The rain will change to snow later this evening as a cold front rolls in.

We are expecting 2 – 3 inches of snow by tomorrow, Monday.

We may see a whopping 3-5 inches of snow total by Tuesday.

Don’t go out if you don’t absolutely have to during the snow and ice event,” city Public Works director Robert Kaczorowski warned.

1. #1 WI Steeler Fan
    December 12, 2010 2:00 pm

So, I live in Wisconsin and we have been having a full fledged blizzard since yesterday afternoon, still going on. Power was out most of the night. And now the temps are going to drop, with the wind chill going to -25. And yet, I love winter. What is wrong with me?

2. Leenyburgh
    December 12, 2010 2:26 pm

Nothing is wrong with you. I think seeing the forces of nature at work is amazing. We don’t have hurricanes or volcanoes, so I’ll take snow!

3. Kacie
    December 12, 2010 2:57 pm

I am 39+ weeks pregnant. And I am in NO hurry to have my baby. I don’t want to deal with getting across town in crappy weather! I hate winter so stinkin much.

4. Cassie
    December 12, 2010 4:51 pm

Snow doesn’t bother me and my SUV. We handled it in February, I’m pretty sure we’ll do just fine with a few inches of snow and ice. Plus, being from Minnesota, this is NOTHING.

5. Noelle
    December 12, 2010 5:37 pm

Awww, Kacie, congratulations! May I recommend naming him Troy? If it’s a girl, perhaps Julie Bologna.

6. Butcher's Dog
    December 12, 2010 6:08 pm

Can anyone identify when winter weather in December became news? Should we blame (the late) Bill Burns? Someone more recent? Surely in this “it’s not my fault” society someone can be blamed! Think, people.

Also, just sayin’, but Ben proved again what a tough sumbitch he is. And Troysus again proved his divinity.

7. Steverino
    December 12, 2010 6:25 pm

Blame the consultants to local TV news. The more they try and scare you, the more people seem to watch. It’s all about the ratings – they need to sell commercials and insert a minute or two of filler in between. It’s all focus grouped to death and the scripts are mostly written by the consultants. Must use words like “snow event,” “bread and milk,” “icy conditions,” and “caution.”

I’ve been standing in my driveway with shovel at the ready since 7 this morning, waiting for those massive three-inch drifts to sock me in. The humanity.

Honestly, it’s the northeast in December. We’ll survive. We’re a hardy people.

8. Guins29
    December 12, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: snow — send some to Baltimore. I want them to have to cancel and move the Ravens Monday night game. Bwahahaha! And I would like a snow day or two. It’s looking like a LONG time til Winter break at this point. =P

Re: Troysus — halo, he needs a halo! Maybe he can take all the snow that collapse the bowl and melt it and then turn it into wine? =)

9. Joe K.
    December 12, 2010 8:51 pm

The cold, the snow, the darkness, it all feels so natural. Let other people move to the sun belt.

10. YinzerInExile
    December 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Well, whatever the alarmist news stations are doing, it’s working on my mother. The woman has lived all of her 57 years in Pittsburgh and now calls me in a panic when she thinks she’ll have to drive to work in 2 inches of snow. That wouldn’t even have bought me a 1 hour delay when I was in school!

December 13, 2010 12:12 am

A snow and ice what? “Event”? WTF is a “snow and ice event”? Is that, like, a blizzard, a dusting, what? “Snowmageddon” would tell me to stock up on toilet paper and milk and bread, but an “event” tells me absoflickinglutely nothing. Thanks for giving me zero information there, Robert Kaczorowski.

And when did everything become an “event,” anyway? For decades, when a store held a “sale,” we knew what that was. Now car dealers and other stores don’t have sales, they have “sales events.” TV shows don’t have premiers, they have “premier events.” Swear to Godtopus, last spring I saw a notice for, not an Easter egg hunt, oh no, it was an “Easter egg event.”

“Event” is about as bland and empty a word as it’s possible to use. Here’s an example:

“Would you like to come to my event*? It’s going to be a really nice event*. We expect lots of people at the event*. Will I see you at my event*?”

See what I mean? You’re jumping on that, right?

I hate buzzwords, especially empty, say-nothing buzzwords, and “event” is becoming one of the worst. Now that I’ve pointed it out, you’ll start to notice it everywhere too and, if you have a thought in your head, you’ll ask yourself the same question: Huh? Is a “sales event” like, um, a “sale”? Will stuff be discounted, or does it mean you’re trying to sell stuff at the regular price but camouflaging it in a half-lie to get people into the store?

Knowing American commerce like I do, guess which one I’m betting on.

*–mass murder

December 13, 2010 12:17 am

Butcher’s Dog Says:
    December 12th, 2010 at 6:08 pm
    Can anyone identify when winter weather in December became news?

I’m guessing the instant a news director noticed people will watch the Weather Channel 24/7.

13. BeauJacques
    December 13, 2010 12:43 am

Listen to this guy at the end of this KDKA clip from Sai nite in front of Kuhn’s on Banksville Rd, WORD!!! :

14. Steverino
    December 13, 2010 10:53 am

Wow, that KDKA clip was an eternity for commercial TV – 2 and a half minutes! Mostly they have ninety seconds of filler between the commercials. But since the Steelers were mentioned in the clip, I guess that justifies its incredible length.

15. Butcher's Dog
    December 13, 2010 11:04 am

It’s all show biz, for sure. And it’s all relative as well. In Myrtle Beach last February they were flashing winter weather advisories for the one to two inches they were going to get. Cancelled the entire 6,500-person marathon, too, because volunteers might not be able to get to their spots in the dark in the snow. Whole mess was melted by noon. I could not possibly make this up.

16. Monty
    December 13, 2010 11:20 am

Frankly, I’m grateful to the local news. Last year, I had a tequila and chili event during a snow event, which was followed shortly thereafter by a toilet event. Had I not taken the “load up on toilet paper” advice from the local news in the days leading up to this, I would have had a divorce event.

December 13, 2010 11:26 am

*snicker* Touche, Monty.

The sad part is, there are people who write like that now. You’ll see it everywhere, like “The Number 23” or something. You’ll be back here in a week to tell me I’m right. There was even supposed to be a TV series called “The Event” but I blinked and missed it, apparently.

I think it’s all a sign of that Second Coming event.

18. Scott
    December 13, 2010 1:07 pm

After last year’s disaster, why pile on the guy for telling people to play it safe? Sure, he’s overreacting a bit, but sheesh…after getting drawn and quartered last winter, can you really blame him for telling people to stay off the roads?

Damned if he does…damned if he doesn’t I guess.

19. Virginia
    December 13, 2010 1:37 pm

They didn’t get drawn and quartered for not telling people to stay off the roads or for not correctly predicting the weather.

They got drawn and quartered for being completely unprepared to deal with roads during a true snow emergency two years after they claimed they were developing a plan to better deal with roads during snow emergencies.

There is a giant difference between those two things.

20. Scott
    December 13, 2010 2:11 pm

Ginny,

I didn’t say they got slammed for either of those things and agree with your view of why they were under fire, but still stand by my comment.

I’d file it under “better safe than sorry”….also known as “covering your ass”.

21. PittinDC
    December 13, 2010 2:16 pm

I just can’t believe that there were 2 hour delays today in Pittsburgh. We NEVER would have had a 2 hour delay for a few inches growing up!!

22. JennyMoon
    December 13, 2010 2:23 pm

Monty = LOL

23. Dan
    December 13, 2010 2:36 pm

I’m reading all of these comments about events and I’m hearing them in George Carlin’s voice

24. oldgraymare
    December 13, 2010 3:51 pm

up here in Erie county, we are expecting 2-3 FEET from this “event”. However, our weather forcasters always tells us “they’re not here to scare us, they’re here to prepare us”. So far in the city, just a dusting, not sure what is happening south of I-90. That’s a whole nother universe when it comes to winter weather.

25. Betoon
    December 13, 2010 4:14 pm

Just got a lovely photo from SIL in Akron Ohio of 17 inches of snow and lots of stuff blowing around. I told her to keep it there – we don’t need no stinkin’ flurries. Mike on PCNC could not get his computer working this morning – kept pressing a “button” then walked off camera. Ah the snow gods have gotten to the computer system now. We’ll have to get updates by Market Square Pigeon!!

26. Dan (Not Onorato)
    December 14, 2010 9:49 am

@11 Bucdaddy

I noticed that as well. The word “Event” is the current buzzword and is thrown around way too often!