Random n’at.

1. Internet, my house is actually out of milk and toilet paper. So I have to send my husband to the grocery store for milk and toilet paper. During a snow “event.”

I am strongly considering telling him to pick up bread as well, just so he can look like one of those snOMG-fools at the register with only milk, bread, and toilet paper in their hands and the fear of God’s wrath in their eyes.

If I were very brave, I’d tell him to throw a box of condoms on the belt too and then snap a picture of the cashier’s face.

2. For months now, when you search for anything on the Post-Gazette’s website via their search box, it spits out PG-blog post after PG-blog post in the results. Finding an actual news article has become ludicrously difficult, so I’ve been using Google’s site specific search for the time being.

But seriously, P-G, get on that like french fries on a chicken salad from a pizza place already.

3.  Here’s a website Woy first showed me, Yinzpiration, in which the writer of the blog, Kate Showalter (who is beautiful), interviews Burghers who have compelling backgrounds and/or stories and/or experiences.

I’m particularly in love with her latest interview subject, Jesse Landis-Eigsti, who recently moved to Pittsburgh and who wrote a Super Mario Bros. opera.

Amazing.

I also learned he has a blog, Jesse Reviews the World, and just a quick read of the first few posts, it is one of the most well-written blogs I’ve ever read.

Tickets are those random acts of unkindness that seem to signify that your worst suspicions about the world are true: yes, the Man hates you; yes, you are singled out for punishment; and no, there is no frigging Santa Claus.

I’m a new fan of both Yinzpiration and Jesse Landis-Eigsti.

I wonder how you pronounce Eigsti.

I’m going with Eye-g-stee.

It is now so.

4. Make-A-Wish Foundation of Greater Pennsylvania, obviously one of my most favorite charities, is making it SUPER easy for you to donate a few bucks to sick kids this Christmas.

To make a one-time $5 donation, supporters can text WISH to 90999 anytime throughout the month of December and can donate up to five times per phone number. The donation of $5 will be added to your mobile phone bill or deducted from your prepaid account.

Easy peasy! Awesome.

5. Mike Wallace was a cute kid.

(h/t Sonya)

6.  A traveling acupuncturist shared her experiences servicing several Steelers, including the 300 needles James Harrison takes:

She spends roughly 12 hours each Thursday treating at least 10 players at Farrior’s house, where the Steelers hold their men’s “spa night” featuring acupuncture. Ripi cooks dinner for them, and they play cards while they wait turns. She starts with nose tackle Casey Hampton at 3:30 p.m. and finishes with Harrison roughly 12 hours later.

I imagine Casey Hampton takes 600 needles the size of small harpoons.

Somebody alert the Whale Wars crew.

(h/t Aileen)

7. Our local beer guys at Should I Drink That have been nominated for a Podcast Award. This is a big deal!

Go vote for them in the Food and Drink category (scroll down). You don’t have to fill out the whole ballot or anything.

8. Jim Shearer kills it, as per his usual.

YouTube Preview Image

9. My sister Pens Fan walked into her family room the other day and found her one-year-old inside a claw toy machine. LOL. Just kidding. She found her sitting on the couch with her nose buried into a piece of literature, looking at every page intently … this piece of literature to be exact:

She’s being raised right.

10. TWELVE!!

Shhhhhhhh.

1. Cassie
    December 13, 2010 4:12 pm

Your niece IS being raised correctly.

Congrats. :)

2. Angry Mongo
    December 13, 2010 4:15 pm

Remember that scene from The Nutty Professor where he goes to the acupuncturist?

AllISayin.

3. CrashJK
    December 13, 2010 4:48 pm

Shhhhhhh…huh ? It’s very difficult. You realize to achieve 13 we need to win in Hell-a-delphia ?!

Let’s Go Pens…

4. spoon
    December 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Thanks for the shoutout!

So what’s in it for yinz if we win the award? The fine folks at Bocktown are going to throw a party for us, errr you, err hell anyone who wants to come out!

You can vote once a day Mon-Tues-Wed. Tell your parents, friends, grandparents, your ex’s, that guy who begs for change, the Starbucks dude, everyone on facebook… all of them!

Oh yeah we have a swank facebook page too – http://www.facebook.com/shouldidrinkthat

thanks n’at

5. Norm
    December 13, 2010 6:01 pm

I seriously hate having to search for anything on the local news sites. I cannot understand how their search is so bad. They must not know that you can tag content or realize that when searching for a recent story stuff from 2007 isn’t what I want.

It would be nice if the had an advanced search.

6. Kate Showalter
    December 13, 2010 6:34 pm

Many Thanks for the Yinzpiration shout-out!

Being that this project is so young, your praise means a lot. (Thank goodness I have you, Woycheck and the many other great Pittsburgh bloggers to show me how it is done.)

Jesse is a gem, no?! Maybe he will write his next opera about Pittsburgh… or at the very least Primanti Bros.

Did you listen to his latest pop song: “On the Bus Rough”? It’s located at the very bottom of the post. Hilarious.

7. G-Man
    December 13, 2010 7:24 pm

Someone please explain to me how you run out of toilet paper. Srsly. (I shop for it when I still have 2-3 rolls left.) It’s not like the toilet paper suddenly goes sour or grows mold when you are not expecting it. Stores are open every freakin’ day. How do you run out?
    I’m not picking on you, Ginny. It’s everybody.
    One night before it snowed (in Richmond, VA no less) I was in line at Ukrop’s grocery store behind a woman with two 16-roll packs of TP. I bet they don’t go through that much TP in a single night at a hockey game. How much poop can one family generate in a week?

December 13, 2010 7:33 pm

ukrop’s! I miss that place. one of the best supermarket chains ever. top notch customer service.

back when I was living down there….one day while heading out the door to go to work, I heard on the news that a snowflake or two was going to fall. thinking nothing of it on the way home from work that night, I made the mistake of stopping at my local ukrop’s for a couple of things and — literally — no TP, meat or milk in the joint. and, it never did snow…..

9. Jesse Landis-Eigsti
    December 13, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks very much for the shout out! I’m a big fan of your blog… I was sold from the moment I saw the Toy Story reference (“The claw chooses who will go and who will stay”).

If you have suggestions for things that need reviewing, or an opera written about them, just let me know.

10. Burgh Bird
    December 14, 2010 1:54 am

Jesse, you totally deserve a virtual high-five just for uttering the words “If you have anything you need an opera written for, let me know.” Who else on earth can say that and mean it?

11. Burgh Bird
    December 14, 2010 1:58 am

And yes. I have gone to my local CVS in blizzard conditions in actual need of milk and made sure to tell the clerk “I’m not really one of those crazy old ladies who buys milk when it snows. I really am out.” How many times do you think they hear that?

12. Emilie
    December 14, 2010 9:49 am

Can we get the mentioned blogs on the blog roll, pretty please????? Because otherwise, they will get lost in my favorites and then deleted when I don’t remember why I linked them in the first place!!!!

13. boadicea23
    December 14, 2010 11:24 am

I agree about the P-G search being a PITA. I was looking for an “official” obit on Bruce Keidan. While what Gene Collier was lovely, it wasn’t what I was searching for. :(

14. burgher-licious
    December 14, 2010 1:15 pm

Your husband should also stop at the wine kiosk for shits and giggles before placing the toilet paper, bread, milk and condoms on the checkout counter.

15. Pingback: News: Yinzpiration Review | Jesse Reviews the World!