Required reading.

Over at the Pittsburgh Magazine site, I’ve got two new things for you to read.

1. First up is my January column “Letters I’ve Been Meaning to Write.”

I wrote to the Pirates and the Pittsburghers of the Year Jamie and Ali. I wrote to Steely McBeam and even to the Parkway East.

A snippet from my letter to the local news stations:

The world is chock-full of legitimately scary things without your Chicken Little, your-cat-might-be-plotting-to-kill-you-in-your-sleep hyperbole. I mean, have you seen the Pirates’ most recent win-loss record or Steely McBeam’s dead eyes?

2. Second, have a read of my next “Five Questions for …” installment, these five for The Fan’s Jon Burton, who has a surprising part-time career in professional wrestling. I asked him about that, about who he’d most like to be in the ring with, how he feels about the NFL fine controversy, and this:

You are a man of many talents … television, radio, wrestling, rugby, weight training, but tell me something that Pittsburgh doesn’t know about you yet.

Go see what his secret talent is! I’ll give you a hint, “Ooooopen aaaaaaarms.”

1. Burgh Boy
    January 4, 2011 7:51 am

In response to your point about the local media: check out the “Condensed News” feature at http://www.daburghboy.com. Cheers!

2. ErinPatricia
    January 4, 2011 11:48 am

Im pretty sure once upon a time he sang a song to me at the Penn Monroe on my birthday…maybe 2-3 years ago. That whole night is a little…fuzzy lol.

January 4, 2011 12:21 pm

Burgh Boy,

Wow. Even condensed into a two-minute read it’s obvious there isn’t even remotely enough news in Pittsburgh to fill the enormous time slot allotted to it.

4. w0x0f
    January 4, 2011 12:38 pm

Speaking of your-cat-might-be-plotting-to-kill-you-in-your-sleep hyperbole, this is hilarious.

5. Michelle
    January 4, 2011 12:55 pm

Jon Burton! What’s sad is I remember him, not from Twitter, not from the news, but from a pro wrestling show he was working back in April. Now that’s funny stuff. I remember thinking he was pretty awesome. Glad to see that he really IS pretty awesome!

6. Burgh Boy
    January 4, 2011 2:10 pm

The news situation is a bit ridiculous. I read through at least 200 articles each morning, and only the dozen or so things that I post on the blog are relevant to “everyone” (and even that is a stretch).

7. NewBurgher
    January 4, 2011 9:41 pm

You all might not believe this, but coming from Dallas, which has so many murders that they don’t even report most of them – I find these cute “news stories” here refreshing. Many a night I’m reading the “news” on wpxi.com on my tiny Blackberry, laughing, but in a positive way, at what they’ll publish here just to take up space. I’m glad that I live in a place now where there’s not much “news” so that when something really egregious happens, like the violent cop story (unbelievable) — it’s not so easy to bury and dismiss.