Bok bok bok goes the puck.

Yeah last night’s Pens game against the Canadiens sucked. Because losing in a shootout SUCKS.

However, there was one play by Evgeni Malkin that made the game worth watching.

You know that paddle with the ball attached? Is that called a paddle ball? You know, you smack the rubber ball up and down on the paddle. Providing yourself with hours of enjoyment?

Geno basically did that with a puck, while surrounded by Habs, while skating at a high rate of speed. I’m not the best judge of speed, but I’d estimate he was skating about 178 miles per hour.

If he had put this puck in the net, it would have been the greatest goal scored in the history of hockey. In my humble opinion.

So. To sum up. Malkin. Paddle ball. Surrounded by Habs. 178 miles per hour. Almost the greatest goal ever.

Hope I didn’t talk it up too much only to set you up for disappointment.

Here’s the clip!

YouTube Preview Image

Geno may not be the most attractive man on the earth, but he is a thing of absolute breathtaking beauty on the ice.

1. Margaret
    January 7, 2011 12:06 pm

I rewound the DVR and watched that about 70 gajillion times. Each time I hoped the puck would go into the net :)

2. Burgh Baby
    January 7, 2011 12:16 pm

That play was sexy, but it’s even sexier with the French voice over.

3. DG
    January 7, 2011 12:21 pm

Agreed, on all counts.

4. Maggie K
    January 7, 2011 12:22 pm

AMEN!!

5. StacyfrPgh
    January 7, 2011 12:51 pm

And that, my dear readers, is what makes Geno so attractive!

6. facie
    January 7, 2011 1:01 pm

Still not as fun to watch as Stamkos’s or Ovie’s tripping face plants, but entertaining nonetheless.

And thanks to three years of French in high school I could understand at least two words!

January 7, 2011 1:33 pm

sacré bleu! mon dieu!

8. greg
    January 7, 2011 1:48 pm

reminds me of the great 66 on the ice!

9. Beatrice
    January 7, 2011 1:50 pm

Wow. I missed some of the game last night, including that part. Thanks for posting that clip, Ginny!

10. CrashJK
    January 7, 2011 2:12 pm

entertaining – sure, did it light the lamp – nope…I’d rather this team work on FIRING PUCKS AT THE NET…and stop the fancy shit….sorry, losing to the Habs, Islanders, (Craps…argh)…hurts.

SHOT THE PUCK !!! – those will be the first words out of my 9 month old’s mouth….I’m serious.

11. Captain Hankaroo
    January 7, 2011 2:58 pm

You might be dyslexic because it was 187mph
    just sayin

12. Magnus Patris
    January 7, 2011 5:44 pm

Again, sorry, I don’t speak Spanish.

13. Larry
    January 8, 2011 2:33 am

Hmm… if he’d actually controlled the puck that last time, right before he bunny-hopped the Hab defenseman, the play would’ve been whistled dead for high-sticking the puck, right?

14. Sophie
    January 9, 2011 9:29 pm

Heyyyyy, Geno is super cute….lol.

15. JRad
    January 12, 2011 5:13 pm

The beauty of this play isn’t just in the beauty of it. Flipping a puck in the air is hard. really really hard. Many poeple just take for granted that it’s Geno and say, “Hey, that’s Malkin, that’s just what he does”. To a point that is true but just so people might fully appreciate what he did I pose the question: have you ever tried to flip a puck into the air from solid ground? Then, assuming you could get it after twenty or thirty tries and not break anything around you, try to hit it out of the air or catch it? It’s no easy task. The hand-eye coordination needed to do that on a regular basis is well above what normal people have. Now imagine doing it on ice, going 178 (haha) miles per hour, with three other people with hockey sticks trying to knock the puck away and knock you down at the same time. Malkin truly makes magic. Thank the hockey gods we have the four horseman (Malkin, Crosby, Staal, and Fleury). They won’t always be perfect but they will always be truly amazing. <3 the Pens. Hope my first response on this site isn't too long for yinz.