Red pill.

The Oracle has spoken.

Steeler Nation.

It is now so.

I mean, you could argue with Coach Tomlin, but he’d just shut you down with with badassitudisms like, “I choose not to subscribe to your particular brand of Stupid.”

1. mamabear
    January 11, 2011 5:49 pm

I wondered if you had seen that! Does that make me sad? Or stalker-ish?

2. Butcher's Dog
    January 11, 2011 5:51 pm

And the van that I followed down here in this Southern Carolina city named for its Beach, a van with SC plates, had “Steeler Nation” all over it. Lady wearing a Steeler fleece whom I ran into in a store said, before I could even compliment her on her choice of outerwear, “They’re going to win.” I guess that makes it official.

3. Butcher's Dog
    January 11, 2011 5:54 pm

Oh, and down here during the latest end-of-the-world winter storm, the locals weren’t stocking up on tp/bread/milk. Oh, no. They were out buying propane tanks and portable heaters because the ice was going to cause power lines to break, leaving them to freeze in hellish darkness.

Rookies.

January 11, 2011 6:08 pm

Dear Coach Tomlin,

Your ignorance makes me ill and angry.

— bucdaddy

P.S. Who’s a badass NOW, Omar?

5. empirechick
    January 11, 2011 6:14 pm

uh oh, bucdaddy – I hope mrsdaddy knows where your important papers are…

6. Calmdahn
    January 11, 2011 7:35 pm

Am I a moron? I completely do not get the Matrix references. And the “it is now so”? What is now so? So confused.

7. Kathy
    January 11, 2011 7:52 pm

Can I make that my email signature at work?

8. Virginia
    January 11, 2011 8:22 pm

Calmdahn,

You must have missed the post where we were trying to figure out if it was Steeler Nation or Steelers Nation. Coach says Steeler Nation. It is now so. The Oracle has spoken.

9. calmdahn
    January 11, 2011 8:24 pm

oh. oh.

10. tw
    January 11, 2011 11:44 pm

I saw that Ginny and immediately thought of you. btw…have your fb friends put a little Steeler something on their fb page to support the troops…since we’re going into war and all. :)

11. #1 WI Steeler Fan
    January 12, 2011 10:26 am

Tomlin has spoken- so be it.

January 12, 2011 3:34 pm

Hines FTW, as always.

Tomlin: Only as good as your players.

13. houndogg
    January 12, 2011 4:31 pm

IMO, it should be steelers nation really. “pittsburgh steelers” is a branded identity. pittsburgh steelers football club… you’re going to a pittsburgh steelers game… james harrison plays for the pittsburgh steelers… etc. same with the penguins & pirates. you don’t go to a penguin game or a pirate game. you go to a penguins game or a pirates game. it’s always bugged me when people drop the “S”… but in the grand scheme of things, it’s nit-picky to be SO one sided. that’s why i usually keep this opinion, in particular, to myself.

14. Ty
    January 12, 2011 6:04 pm

The “S” gets dropped all the time if you are referring to one player. Heinz Ward is a singular Pittsburgh Steeler, not a Pittsburgh Steelers.

It’s a Steeler Nation, just like it is an “elephant herd” and not an “elephants herd” (I don’t know why my mind is stuck on elephants).

15. Bobby
    January 12, 2011 9:07 pm

“Steelers Nation” is grammatically correct. It is not a nation of one. There is not one football player.

They are not the Pittsburgh Steeler.

Steelers Nation.

BAM.

16. troysussaves
    January 13, 2011 10:49 am

Sorry, Bobby, but we are talking about a collective noun (nation), and as far as grammar goes, this whole argument is pointless. This is why:

In American English, a collective noun (nation) is singular. For example…

The flock of birds IS flying south.
    The team IS practicing today.
    The rock band IS playing at Heinz Field.

The verb takes the cue from the collective noun, NOT the word that modifies the noun, which in this case would be Steeler(s).

So, grammatically, it could be Steeler or Steelers or Steely McBeam Nation and it would be the same.

Do I have to say bam now? Okay: BAM.

17. steve in denver
    January 13, 2011 10:49 am

My badass “Steeler Nation” sticker disagrees with some of you, but let’s spend our energy sporting black and gold and slapping everything black and purple that looks like ray lewis instead of whining about an S!

18. houndogg
    January 13, 2011 10:55 am

i think you might be missing the brand identity point. “pittsburgh steelers” is the brand… kinda like “wallgreens” is a brand. you wouldn’t say “wallgreen nation” would you? or “hines ward is a wallgreen”…

19. calmdahn
    January 13, 2011 11:07 am

I feel like Ty has the grammatical edge in this argument. either way…

STEELER NATION WILL PREVAIL ON SATURDAY!!!

20. burgher-licious
    January 13, 2011 12:47 pm

People – this is Pittsburgh for god sake. Yinz aht to know that we are NEVER grammatically correct. What difference does it make – we are Steelers or Steeler Nation……bleed black & gold either way. P.S. is it YINZ or YINZES?