The balmy clime of eastern Pennsylvania

Washing after-dinner dishes while boy child does homework, girl child runs around screaming “My egg! My egg!” (don’t ask), and husband pores over even more insurance paperwork.

Me: “You know what this family needs?”

Son: “Cookies?”

Me: “No. We need a trip to someplace really really warm.”

Son: “Like Mexico?”

Me: “Yes! Like Mexico.”

Son: ” … or Philadelphia?”

Husband: “PHILADELPHIA?!”

Me: “Cookies sound good.”

Iz r children learning?!

1. Amy
    January 11, 2011 10:33 am

Does your son know something that I don’t? Because I’m headed to Philly next week, and I’d LOVE IT if it would be warmer than it is here. I’d settle for a measly ten degree difference.

2. Magnus Patris
    January 11, 2011 10:55 am

I believe you misspelled the name of that ‘ville; it’s PHILTHADELPHIA. Please make the appropriate changes to your spell checker.

3. oldgraymare
    January 11, 2011 11:26 am

But it’s always sunny in Philadelphia :)

4. Christina
    January 11, 2011 12:41 pm

Thanks – I spit my Coke all over my table ;)))

Cookies for me, too, please. We’ll have snow again tonight.

5. Margaret
    January 11, 2011 1:04 pm

We are going to Philly on Friday for the weekend and the weather there can’t be any worse than it is down here right now (cold – almost freezing – and rainy). We will be playing tourists, so fingers are crossed for at least SUNNY weather.

6. tw
    January 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Hey, your son is kinda right. After being transplanted here in the outskirts of Philly I can definitely say that we get much, much less snow out here and it’s probably a few degrees cooler in general. With the exception of last year, we probably get less than 12 inches total all year…if we’re lucky. Some years the kids get no chances to go sledding. A lot different from when I grow up around Irwin.

btw…it’s supposed to be high 20’s, low 30’s for the weekend and sunny.

7. tw
    January 11, 2011 2:12 pm

meant to say a few degrees warmer…oops.

8. Margie
    January 11, 2011 2:32 pm

He must have the same teacher as a former co-worker of mine.

One early morning she needed to call one of our vendors in Florida and told me she needed to wait another hour to call. I asked why, she told me they were in the Central time zone. I was left scratching my head on that one. Needless to say, she still works in retail.

9. Sooska
    January 11, 2011 3:16 pm

Philadelphia, Mississippi perhaps? or the original Philadelphia in the country of Jordan?

Eastern PA is a hole and all they get is ice; they can’t take care of the roads and don’t know how to; nor can they drive whether it is dry, sunny, ice or snow. (Philly the city is actually quite nice except for Philadelphians of course.)

10. SNS
    January 11, 2011 3:31 pm

@ Margie – part of Florida is in the Central time zone.

11. Amy
    January 11, 2011 4:05 pm

Like @SNS said, part of FL is CST. BUT- it’s the very furthest northwestern area of the state, so it depends where she was calling. From my limited experience (I’ve lived here for more than 10 years, but rarely go to that part of the state), not much is there aside from vacation spots on the Gulf (meaning industrial or commercial vendors).

12. bluzdude
    January 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Perhaps the boy has heard that Philly is like a little slice of hell; hence, the warmth.