Random n’at

1. Yesterday was a snow day for pretty much every child in the Greater Pittsburgh area, and I’ve decided that I’m no longer going to give my kid the snow day news in any normal, “Hey, guess what!” fashion.

Instead, I’m going to wake my kid up by blasting the first three seconds of this old Jim Kosek video from my phone right into his sleeping eardrum.

YouTube Preview Image

I am a fantastic mother, by the way.

2. Posting was light yesterday because I was 11 days past deadline for my March column for Pittsburgh Magazine and I had zero words written. In case you were wondering, editor of mine, no, I did not in fact set a New Years resolution to be better about meeting my deadline. Because that would be an epic exercise in futility.

3. Because I’m facebook friends with him, I can tell you that the Dread Lord Zober got married and his new wife had a baby.

The Dread Lord Zober is now a family man.

Two questions: Who is going to be Lukey’s soul-destroying wing man now, and what is the official title for the wife of a Dread Lord?

(h/t D)

4. Yesterday while dealing with a wireless connection issue, I noticed that someone close to my house has a wireless connection they’ve named “SexMachine2.”

That’s hot.

5. I would LOVE to know who is in charge of the official Steelers twitter account:

Everything I do, I do it big.

[throws signs]

I’m a street G. Or something. Badonkadonk.

I’m just saying random words now.

6. While we’re talking about local musicians, let’s swing from the weed-filled rhymes of Wiz Khalifa over to something completely different, a local Christian rock band, Red Letter Hymnal (that’s their pic up top of this post), and their new hit that’s making rounds in the Burgh:

YouTube Preview Image

As a new fan of Kutless, which Genre my little buddy turned me on to, I love this kind of music.

Wiz Khalifa. Kutless. Tracy Lawrence. Don’t try to understand me. It will break your brain good. I bet even God is all, “Sometimes, I just don’t understand this child.”

7. Reader Jason M. emailed me this link to say that Pittsburgh, the Schenley Park area specifically, may have actually been the location of the real first flight, and then I spent three hours lost in Google archives from the early 1900s reading articles about and by Gustave talking about his “flying machine.”

I love history.

That is all.

8. If you’re looking for me today, you’ll probably find me somewhere deep deep deep in here.

If I don’t post by 3:00 p.m., send a search party made up of David Conrad carrying snacks and wine.

(h/t Woy and Goob)

1. Jim
    January 13, 2011 11:23 am

Go to the Calvin & Hobbes search engine link in comment #8 above and search for Pittsburgh. Hmmmmm….

2. Kaylee
    January 13, 2011 11:27 am

Regarding #7: The actual plane is suspended from the ceiling of Posvar Hall on Pitt’s campus. The story told by the tour guides at Pitt was that the Wrights and Whitehead were back and forth for several years having several prototype planes. Each pairing had several failures but the Wrights succeeded shortly before Whitehead got it right.

January 13, 2011 11:52 am

what is the official title for the wife of a Dread Lord?

“Whatever you say, dear”

4. Allison
    January 13, 2011 11:53 am

Regarding #5: I got them all pissed off at me because I had said that they don’t know how to use social media. I kept all the screenshots too. They were NOT happy with me and accused me of not following them closely enough and then abruptly ended the stream with a “Thanks for following”. Terrible social media on their part.

#3 would be a Dread Lady and Dread Baby. I think.

5. PG Wodehouse
    January 13, 2011 11:56 am

She who must be obeyed?
    Dread Duchess?
    Dreadilocks?
    Overlord?

6. Butcher's Dog
    January 13, 2011 12:30 pm

Dread Lady is grammatically correct, although I like Overlord quite well. Golf commentator and humorist David Feherty refers to his wife as She Who Must Be Obeyed, which is an accurate description for just about any American marriage. Dread Babies would be a terrific name for an alternative rock band. Just sayin’.

7. ~ Anna
    January 13, 2011 12:33 pm

Re: #7 — History….who knew???? I recently started documenting family history for the young’uns, and have become fascinated (can you say obsessed???) with not only the family history, but the history of Pittsburgh. Everyone and everything is intertwined in some way, it seems — I spend hours poring through old newspapers in the Google archives (Bless them for scanning everything) It certainly wasn’t this interesting when the nuns were making us learn it in school.

January 13, 2011 12:38 pm

In Stately Bucdaddy Manor, the lady of the house is known as the Keeper of the Calendar, she who must be consulted and whose permission must be granted before even the smallest extracurricular activity can be scheduled.

Yes, yes she does keep it in a small, velvet-lined purse. How did you guess?

9. Joe K.
    January 13, 2011 1:34 pm

@ Jim #1:

“I wonder where we go when we die. Pittsburgh? You mean if we’re good or if we’re bad?”

If you’re good you get season tickets to the Steelers and Penguins. If you’re bad you get season tickets to the Pirates and are required to write transcripts of all city council meetings.

10. LaReina
    January 13, 2011 2:04 pm

Thanks for the introduction to RLH. Very nice.

11. rose
    January 13, 2011 3:10 pm

“i like christian rock. it’s very positive. it’s not like those real musicians who think they’re so cool and hip.”

;)

12. gunnlino
    January 13, 2011 3:23 pm

“She who must be obeyed ” was first used in the English comedic TV series in the U.S. on PBS ( 1980 ?? ) “Rumpole of the Old Bailey “, where Rumpole, an attorney, had to deal with legal stuff and his wife, She Who Must Be Obeyed !
    Yeah, Yeah you want to punch me, I know. Pain in the ass.

13. Di
    January 13, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks so much for that Calvin and Hobbes search engine! LOVE IT!

14. deb
    January 13, 2011 5:43 pm

So many great christian bands out there that so few people have heard of…Skillet, Relient K, Sanctus Real, Toby Mac, Disciple, House of Heros, 10th Avenue North…glad to see a new band getting some attention. Check out radiou.com for more great music than you ever thought could be out there. Love your blog, always entertaining:)

15. Anon
    January 13, 2011 11:11 pm

#3 Knocked-up Goy

16. aDerek
    January 14, 2011 11:08 am

#4. Just be glad you don’t live in my neighborhood. My husband set up our wireless network as “lovemynuts”. He says it’s a nod to the slap-chop remix song, but I still have to wear a bag of shame on my head every time I step out my front door.

17. NewBurgher
    January 16, 2011 12:28 pm

Ginny – you’ll probably like “MercyMe” as well. They have an awesome song out now called “Beautiful” and actually that entire CD “The Generous Mr. Lovewell” is excellent. Here is the first song on that CD called “This Life”:

18. Bobby
    January 18, 2011 12:56 am

“Steeler Nation,” Ginny? :(

Is it just you in this nation? :P

19. Steelergurl
    January 18, 2011 8:34 pm

Ginny – the ultimate “in charge” dude of Steelers twitter account is Dave Lockett…yup.

20. michael
    January 27, 2011 9:48 pm

i think the new lord heiress should adopt the name isis, the egyption goiddess of love. which she interestingly enough used as her stage name while stripping at blush gentlemans club. there first encounter, the first lap dance, their first kiss. so romantic

21. michael
    January 27, 2011 10:01 pm

or she could go by the name blossom, which she used while stripping at cheerleaders gentlemans club. sure enough, her photo (wearing a yellow evening dress) with her manager mike is still on the cheerleaders website for grand opening. like fing waldo, can u find her in other photos. look close, shes there.