Oh, Danny Boy

This image was taken by reader @PghBornnBred who sent it to me on Twitter.

Downtown. During the Steelers rally today, a banner the County had printed:

We’ve all been so busy discussing whether or not there’s an S at the end of Steeler and now Dan Onorato has to go and throw the “THE” bomb at us.

Steelers Nation is wrong. The Steelers Nation is super wrong.

1. Amy
    January 14, 2011 4:04 pm

Not sure if you are a ‘fan” of Heath Miller on Facebook (I think there are a bunh of them, and not sure if any are official), but the one called just “Heath Miller” and the image is of him running out of the tunnel has a status that includes STEELERS NATION. I has a sad now.

2. jmarinara
    January 14, 2011 5:06 pm

Dumb inflatable Steeler characters with block “00” numbers is super wronger.

3. Burgh_In_DC
    January 14, 2011 5:08 pm

There’s one sign that’s been around longer than all the other ones, and it’s got me thinking maybe we’re all off a little. . .

4. Pensgirl
    January 14, 2011 5:43 pm

Since the local government screws up everything it touches, this just proves the correct name is Steeler Nation.

5. JenG
    January 14, 2011 5:51 pm

AGREE AGREE AGREE with Pensgirl!!

Go Steelers!

Love,

Steeler Nation, Bloomfield Division

6. Bram R
    January 14, 2011 7:55 pm

I thought it was the Democratic People’s Republic of the Steelerim.

7. Sarah
    January 14, 2011 8:12 pm

Yikes! Sally Wiggin, the goddess of news, just said “Steelers Nation.”

8. Still A Fan
    January 14, 2011 9:08 pm

I dont recognize anything other than Steeler Nation.

January 14, 2011 9:48 pm

If Sally says it, THAT’S CHURCH!

10. USCMike
    January 15, 2011 1:15 am

Has anyone determined why Lukey was MIA during the Steeler rally HE was co-sponsoring today?

Did he think it was Snowmageddon II and he was at 7 Springs again??

Did he head to Baltimore, thinking the playoff game is over there?

I can’t wait to hear his staff’s excuse for why he never showed up…

11. Lesley
    January 15, 2011 9:15 am

Can I buy an apostrophe, Alex?

January 15, 2011 10:35 am

@jmarinara….agreed. but, that inflatable steeler is still way better than that assclown steely mcbeam.

13. MB
    January 15, 2011 10:47 am

The entire city is confused. So, Janelle Hall and James Farrior both just referred to the Nation as The Steeler Nation. I am going with that.

14. toni
    January 15, 2011 11:35 am

where was steelerstahl?

January 15, 2011 12:36 pm

Do they really still have their Steelers Christmas tree up? Shouldn’t they take that down and put up the Steelers MLK decorations?

16. LaReina
    January 15, 2011 12:45 pm

Luke in Baltimore, good one! Or is he the guy in the Steely McBeam costume?

17. Bobby
    January 16, 2011 1:34 am

I’ll say it again, grammatically speaking, it is Steelers Nation.

Adding “the” isn’t that big of a deal.

The organization is the Steelers (plural), and not Steeler (singular).

18. Butcher's Dog
    January 16, 2011 9:20 am

Anyone else thinking WTRT should be “Anvil Chorus” Edition in honor of all the clanging of passes off Ravens’ hands? And let’s all marshall the hate this afternoon, please! J-E-T-S! JETS, JETS, JETS!

Just my two cents worth.

19. Amy
    January 16, 2011 12:29 pm

Did anyone else notice Ike T making a statement after the Ravens kickoff return early in the 3rd qtr? He just stood there all still after making the hit, and then grabbed his crotch as if to say “suck on that, dirty bird!” I really want a screen cap of that, if anyone can find it!!!!

20. oldgraymare
    January 16, 2011 3:54 pm

It is the Pittsburgh Steelers not the Pittsburgh Steeler, so it should be Steelers Nation.

21. Jenny
    January 16, 2011 9:33 pm

I was at the game last night (WOOOT!), and the Heinz Field jumbotron officially blasts “STEELERS NATION” several times during the game. Sad to say, but I am now officially on the plural bandbus.

HERE WE GO!!!!

22. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    January 16, 2011 11:33 pm

The steelers organization itself uses Steelers Nation. Honestly, I really don’t care which it is. I belong regardless.

23. Burgh is the Word
    January 17, 2011 12:22 am

Wikipedia states:

Nation has different meanings in different contexts. In worldwide diplomacy, nation can mean country or sovereign state.[1] The United Nations, for instance, speaks of how it was founded after the Second World War with “51 countries” and currently has “192 member states”.[2] Nation may more broadly refer to a community of people who share a common territory and government; and who often share a common language, race, descent, and/or history, such as the “Palestinian nation.” The word nation can more specifically refer to a tribe of North American Indians, such as the Cherokee Nation.[1]

Therefore it is Steeler Nation since it obviously is not Cherokees Nation of Palestinians Nation.

Someone needs to send Ol’ Danny Boy a link to Wikipedia.

24. Burgh Bird
    January 17, 2011 10:50 am

Dear Ginny- please, pretty please do a What They Were Really Thinking- Patriots/Jets edition……

January 17, 2011 11:34 am

Your analogy is flawed. “Cherokee” is the name of the tribe and “Palestine” is the name of the proposed nation. There’s no “s” on the end of either. It’s like saying “Pittsburghs Nation,” is wrong, which of course it is.

The name of the team is Steelers.

And once again, I’ll ask any of you with Duquesne affiliations: Are you part of Duke Nation?

Church.

26. windy city steel city
    January 17, 2011 2:53 pm

Yinz is all wrong! it’s Stillers Nation!

27. Jake
    January 17, 2011 3:02 pm

On the Steelers website it is called Steelers Nation. http://www.steelers.com/fan-zone/index.html

28. Duncan
    January 17, 2011 4:45 pm

The Jedi-mind trick thing had me laughing so loud I was drawing attention from my co-workers. LOL!

29. hoosierburgher
    January 17, 2011 7:06 pm

If you were a member of the team, you would not say, “I am a Pittsburgh Steelers.” You would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

30. Tony Vinski
    January 18, 2011 9:39 am

Well, http://www.Steelerbars.com has been around for 3 years now and has over 680 Steeler bars listed. For what it’s worth, almost everyone that has contacted me about the site refers to Steeler Bars (without the “s”). The only time the “s” is used is when people say “Stillers Bar”. My vote is for no “s”.

January 18, 2011 11:35 am

You would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Yes, that would be the singular form. Presumably, there’s more than one resident of “Steelers Nation.” “Steeler Nation” would mean just one, and enormous as he is, I doubt even Casey Hampton could be considered a nation all by himself. He’d need to be a couple hundred acres wide, at minimum.