Things that aren’t going to be there anymore

1. Honus Wagner on Forbes

2. Le Cordon Bleu Culinary Academy on Liberty

3. Patrice King Brown on KDKA

First , I’m going to miss Patrice. Who DOESN’T like her?

Second, this being Pittsburgh, where people and even the newspapers still refer to 11 Stanwix as the Old Westinghouse Building and the Regional Enterprise Tower as the Old Alcoa Building, 13 years after those buildings were last occupied by those companies, it won’t be long before an outsider asks for directions only to be told to go past the Old Honus Wagner building or that if they’ve hit the Old Le Cordon Bleu Building they’ve gone too far.

Added to my bucket list: Direct a lost tourist from Oakland to the fountain at the Point by only referring to places by what they USED to be called.

It’ll be hilarious to hear them all, “She said to go past Old Forbes Field, but I don’t see that ANYWHERE. Oh well, when we got close, I’ll look for Murphy’s and The Old Patrice King Brown Building and you look for Fort Pitt.”

1. CrashJK
    January 20, 2011 3:16 pm

As of Feb. 28th (NHL Trade deadline fyi)…add Geno Malkin if HE DOESN’T START SCORING !!!

January 20, 2011 3:22 pm

I am stunned to learn that Patrice is 56. I understand that she has probably not been photographed without on-air-quality makeup for 40 years, but I don’t care. She will still be beautiful when she’s 86, and I’d still wanna ba … um … I’d still be desirous of her affections.

Quick TC poll on who should get the coveted anchor slot, Sorenson or Watson or Antkowiak or … As the PG story notes, it’s EXTREMELY rare for a slot to open, pointing out Johnson/Finnegan have worked together 21 years.

3. Dan (Not Onarato)
    January 20, 2011 3:42 pm

Saw Patrice at a wedding a few years ago. Very friendly and yes bucdaddy shes that beautiful in person. She will be missed!

4. CrashJK
    January 20, 2011 4:15 pm

@bucdaddy…sorry, can’t answer your poll…we only watch WTAE in my house…Wendy Bell RAWKS and Kelly Frey is a babe !

LET’S GO CROSBY & MALKIN-LESS PENS…!!!

January 20, 2011 4:41 pm

I can testify. patrice king brown = hottie. I saw her in my local hollywood video (when it was still open) a couple of years ago and just gorgeous. totally does not look 56.

I hope that she enjoys whatever comes next.

6. Magnus Patris
    January 20, 2011 4:45 pm

I interned at WPXI in the ’80’s. I was jealous of my friend who interned at KDKA. He got to work with Patrice; I got stuck with stinky ‘ol Roxanne Stein and Asa Aarons.

7. HeatherB
    January 20, 2011 5:04 pm

PKB will be missed!

8. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    January 20, 2011 5:19 pm

I love Patrice. When I was in high school, on days off, my girlfriends and I would go down to KDKA for Pittsburgh Today. We had such fun in the audience. During commerical breaks they would talk with the audience and it was a good back and forth. I had a Hubba Bubba speeramint gum addiction at this phase in my teenage years and was blowing bubbles between breaks. At one point I had this huge bubble going and next thing I knew, someone popped it and started laughing. It was Jon Burnett. Patrice started scolding him because she thought it would be stuck all over my face. She was surprised when it wasn’t and had me blow another giant bubble once they came back on air. I got scolded by my mom when I got home because I wasn’t supposed to be chewing gum. Silly story, I know, but I always think about that when Patrice King Brown’s name comes up. She’s a Pittsburgh institution.

9. TripleC
    January 20, 2011 5:38 pm

@ bucdaddy……Watson = schwing!!!!

Or bring back Sonni. Oh yeah that would be good.

10. TV Addict
    January 20, 2011 6:29 pm

KDKA has a long history of showcasing classy women on its prime time newscasts: Patrice King Brown; before her, Patti Burns; and before HER, Marie Torre. Hope CBS continues this fine tradition.

11. Butcher's Dog
    January 20, 2011 7:11 pm

@TripleC: Watson=schwing, indeed! Pronunciation, especially diction, not so much. Delivery gets rushed at times. (Just to prove that some of us males DO, INDEED pay attention to what’s being said!) I’d root for Ankowiack or Sorenstan, personally, unless they bring in an outsider.

12. Sooska
    January 20, 2011 7:23 pm

@CrashJK- you are 14 YO and yell SHOOT an WOOO at the games, right/ cause it is clear you have no clue.

13. The Maestro
    January 20, 2011 7:37 pm

Patrice is certainly 100% USDA certified hottie.

Let’s just hope that they don’t stick tubby Jenn in that slot. I don’t think I could take much more of her blathering on about caregiving. Give it a break Jenn.

14. The Maestro
    January 20, 2011 7:42 pm

@bucdaddy: Kristine Sorensen all the way. She is by far the finest on the Burghwaves these days. I don’t know how Marty ever manages to get out of the house.

Kristine=SMOKIN’

15. djh
    January 20, 2011 9:40 pm

“Regional Enterprise Tower as the Old Alcoa Building” or as some of us who work in theater still call it “the site of the old Nixon.” The “new Nixon” is now replaced by the August Wilson Center FYI.

16. Beatrice
    January 20, 2011 9:58 pm

I haven’t watched the local news for years yet I was so sad to hear PKB’s retiring. Things will just seem kind of weird around here without her on the air. Good for her though. I hope she enjoys a fabulous retirement out of the spotlight.

January 21, 2011 3:15 am

I dunno about Watson. She kinda has dead eyes, like they’re looking out of tunnels. Plus on shots from the side you can see a little neck wattle. I think she’s 45 hoping to look 35.

18. CrashJK
    January 21, 2011 8:22 am

@sooska -nope, not 14…sorry to burst your bubble and I don’t shout “woo” or “shoot”…I watch every game and note the ineffective manner at which this team plays at some time (case in point…last night in NJ). Geno turns over pucks (almost at the level of Gogo), takes stupid penalties and does NOT have the scoring production of someone taking a 8.7 million dollar cap hit on the team…sorry, pure economics. And it’s not just this season, last season too…I do like Geno, but something has to happen soon….In Shero we trust !

19. Scott
    January 21, 2011 10:53 am

Oh no!!! The cooking school that has been a fixture in Pittsburgh since the 1980s is closing!!! What will we do!?!?!?! ;)

20. Dan
    January 21, 2011 10:58 am

1. Forbes Field and Pitt Stadium should have never been demolished.
    2. Used “old westinghouse building” this morning
    3. @Crashjk – are you the leader of the bridge jump club?
    4. HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!

21. Baba Wawa
    January 21, 2011 12:07 pm

my orthodontist used to be in the Jenkins Arcade Building (dr. payne, if you can believe)…can’t remember where it was exactly

January 21, 2011 12:29 pm

I would happily take instructions to make a left and a right at Patrice. And a forward-backward-forward-backward-forward-backward …

23. Scott
    January 21, 2011 12:40 pm

I used to ride the bus to school with Patrice’s son, and have a great story about her. Unfortunately, it cannot be shared here.

24. CrashJK
    January 21, 2011 12:48 pm

@Dan – no bridge jumping here…just calling out an obvious problem. Do you have any idea what 8.7 million would get this team in terms of TWO POWER FORWARDS !? Unless you like having a Porsche in the garage, that only runs once every two weeks and you are still making payments on it ? And you continually tell yourself…”man, it has potential…I just have to figure out how to repair it or talk nice to it or ??? ”

Again, I do like Geno for what he has done and how he has learned English…but you can’t deny we are paying for someone who has continued to under perform for one and a half seasons…and we do have this salary cap thing…

Peace, out….oh and the Devil and their trap – SUQ!

25. empirechick
    January 21, 2011 1:04 pm

@Crash – and I think that ‘salary cap thing’ is exactly why Geno won’t be traded. I agree he’s underperforming, but what team can take that big a hit against their cap? You have to move two $4M guys for one Geno – even assuming he plays lights out for another team, that’s a big commitment to make.

26. djh
    January 21, 2011 1:28 pm

Baba Wawa – Jenkins Arcade was demolished and replaced with Fifth Ave Place aka the Highmark building

27. CrashJK
    January 21, 2011 2:46 pm

@empirechick – A Geno trade would end up a multi-team deal..there are several teams not spending anywhere near there cap space (Nashville, St. Louis, Long Island come to mind)that could take on 71’s salary, but shuffling players for other teams would be required – not an easy deal. So we sit and wait until Feb. 28th and see what Shero does…y’all can call me a clown and laugh if Geno stays and lights up the pipes on our playoff run this spring, or ???

January 21, 2011 6:00 pm

pitt stadium should have never been torn down?!?

I am sitting here at my desk as I type this. above my desk, on the wall, is my framed poster of a picture of pitt stadium from one of the last games to ever be played there in 1999.

I had 8 great years of memories there (4 for my undergrad, 4 for my sister’s).

but — it had to come down.

no doubt.

29. LaReina
    January 21, 2011 7:57 pm

I went to Pa. Institute of Culinary Arts, the predecessor of Le Cordon Bleu, and had my “Soups and Stocks” class in the Liberty Ave. kitchen. Good times! Sorry to see it leaving.

30. Burgh is the Word
    January 22, 2011 2:34 am

93 years and no more Honus Wagner. It survived the Steel Mills shutting down, the mass exodus of Pittsburghers to parts unknown, but couldn’t survive the new stresses of modern business.

This is a rather troubling sign if you think about it. I am of course not saying that sky is falling, but when things close that have been absolute bedrock to the people of this city, it might be wise to look up every once in a while.

31. BeauJacques
    January 22, 2011 10:23 am

uhhhh,

it will ALWAYS be the Alcoa building!
    it will ALWAYS be the Westinghouse building!
    it will ALWAYS be the Gulf building!
    it will ALWAYS be Max Azens Furs!
    it will ALWAYS be the Warner Theatre!
    it will ALWAYS be GC Murphy’s!

and last but not least,

they are, and will ALWAYS be the 6th, 7th, and 9th Street Bridges!!

fuck all this “trendy,” “re-branding” bullshit!

But, it’s not gonna matter really cuz after the parking debacle
    (to pay Officer Paul Abel’s juicy pension) there’s going to be nothing downtown but commuter office lunchers anyway!
    7-11’s and lunch joints…..

32. BeauJacques
    January 22, 2011 10:32 am

Fuck “trendy,”
    Fuck “trending!”

(except on betting lines :-) )

33. BeauJacques
    January 22, 2011 11:23 am

definition of “trending”-

sheep without brains looking for what the other brainless sheep are doing!

AKA dumb ‘herd’ instinct, a la, Dems’s in Pgh!

Happy F’ing New Year!