Random n’at.

1. If you’re on twitter, perhaps you could take a second to give a virtual hug to Burgher Maria Connelly, who lost her son Christian to cancer last week. He would have turned ten today.

You can read all about the little guy here, including:

Christian maintained his fighting spirit even after being diagnosed with brain cancer in January 2009. The fourth-grader at Brookline K-8 didn’t complain about his surgeries or rigorous treatments, and his condition made him determined to become a brain surgeon when he grew up.

You can send a tweet to his mother here and let her know you took the time to read about her brave son.

2.  Well, it wasn’t shirtless sexhair, but still … Kris Letang named the most improved player in the NHL by Sports Illustrated:

If he threw up, he had to scramble to try to rehydrate before skating. Amazingly, he’s never missed an NHL game with a migraine. “I was dying to play, so I didn’t complain about headaches,” he says.

Letang began taking a new medication last year but still had one bad episode before opening night when he ran out of pills. Afraid to drive home, he slept at the rink after the morning skate. “I need the room completely dark,” he says. “Otherwise when I wake up, it’s like someone is pressing on my eyeball and I see blurry colors that move around.” He still undergoes brain scans twice a year.

Considering I can’t even climb a flight of stairs with a migraine, and he’s playing hockey with them, I realize now what a puny human I am.

Well, I realized it when I pulled an abdominal muscle during an especially violent sneeze, but this just solidifies it.

3. Speaking of the Pens, check out this Make a Wish Facebook photo album from when Sid, Geno, Sexhair and others took the time to bowl with some Make a Wish kids.

Athletes + sick kids = my heart turning to a puddle of goo.

4.  Courtesy of my good friend Jonathan Wander who got it from his good friend Chris (@stavorous), check out what happens when you unsubscribe to Groupon, which was founded by a Burgher, Andrew Mason.

LOVE IT.

5. Slate’s Tom Scocca with one of the most amazing descriptors of Ben Roethlisberger since The Duke of Fug and The Earl of Gross:

“Roethlisberger is the most useful kind of stupid: too dumb to doubt himself.”

Bravo!

(h/t Lea)

6. The Pie Place is celebrating National Pie Day … with FREE PIE!

In celebration of National Pie Day, The Pie Place will be practicing “Random Acts of Pie-ness” by giving a free pie to every 15th paying customer over 18 years of age on Saturday, January 22, 2011 from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

I’ve had their wares as they donated a huge bunch of deliciousness to Ti Kanaval and I ate more than several.

Divine.

And low fat, too!

Okay, I made that last part up. Don’t tell my ass.

7. Kellee Maizee, City of Champions.

YouTube Preview Image

Someone be a dear and help a deaf girl out; get me the lyrics to this.

Regardless, the video is a beautiful tribute to the Burgh and was clearly filmed before all this damn snow.

8. Apparently Tim Benz has picked the Jets to win on Sunday.

So, like, we’re running him out of town, right?  I don’t care if he IS related to Julie Benz.

You get the pitchforks and I’ll get the torches, angry pigeons, and wet, icy Terrible Towels for snapping.

9. Speaking of pigeons, this story was first emailed to me by Randy Baumann who was sure he would be the bazillionth person to send it to me. Nope. He was the first.

THEN a bazillion of you sent it to me.

Police in Colombia have arrested a pigeon that was struggling to fly over the walls of Bucaramanga prison with 1.6 ounces of weed strapped to its back. A police commander called it “a new case of criminal ingenuity.”

What the hell kind of puny pigeons do they have in Columbia that they can’t fly with 1.6 ounces of weed strapped to their backs?

I’ve seen more than one pigeon here in Pittsburgh that could clear a prison wall with a kilo of coke and a fat baby strapped to its back.

1. Aileen
    January 21, 2011 1:09 pm

Great question to for the media to ask Santonio Holmes!

“Santonio, why can’t a Columbian pigeon fly with only 1.6 oz of weed strapped to its back?

“Hmmm, I dont’ know. Did you say the weed was Columbian or the pigeon was Columbian? That might make a difference.”

By the way, did anyone read about the post-game interview with Tom Brady and a Boston radio station?

The interviewer asked Brady why Antonio Cromartie was so antagonistic toward him. Brady responded he didn’t know, because he’s never met the guy.

Mr. Radio Station says, “I guess you have something in common with his eight kids then.”

Ouch.

Mr. Cromartie apparently had 9 children – all under the age of five – and there are no octuplets in there.

2. Legallypgh(Kathy)
    January 21, 2011 1:09 pm

OMG – as a fellow migraine sufferer, I cannot even IMAGINE playing hockey with a migraine. Wow, am I a wimp!

3. AngryMongo
    January 21, 2011 1:10 pm

What is the air speed velocity of an unladen pigeon?

New York or Pittsburgh?

AHHHHHHH

4. Joe K.
    January 21, 2011 1:33 pm

#5. “Roethlisberger is the most useful kind of stupid: Too dumb to doubt himself.”

On one hand I can see why this is funny, on the other I do get a little weary of this kind of snarkiness all over the place these days. Ben only had 5 INT’s this year, he must have some kind of brain power to understand the game well enough to only throw 5 picks.

OK, I’ll stop getting worked up about a Slate column now.

5. Jill
    January 21, 2011 1:55 pm

#7. The video is better WITHOUT the lyrics. The Pittsburgh backdrop is the only good thing about it. Trust me.

6. Andrea
    January 21, 2011 1:59 pm

I thought pie day was 3.14!

7. AngryMongo
    January 21, 2011 2:05 pm

@Andrea
    That’s International Pie Day.
    This is National.

Don’t quote…
    I can’t back that up.

8. DG
    January 21, 2011 2:16 pm

#1. My youngest son turned 11 today. I’m not on twitter, but will offer her my prayers.

9. Sara
    January 21, 2011 2:47 pm

I interned at ESPN radio in college, and what I remember of Tim Benz then was a skeevy guy who hit on the female interns and had serious Napoleon Syndrome. Something tells me that doesn’t make him a soothsayer when it comes to football. He can suck it. Here We Go Steelers!!!!

10. Cassie
    January 21, 2011 2:50 pm

Don’t worry, Ginny. On Pie day, it’s free calories. Your ass won’t mind. In fact – on days like today when the wind is whipping and it’s effing cold out, an insulated ass is a happy ass.

11. Maggie K
    January 21, 2011 3:51 pm

I agree with Jill the backdrop of Pittsburgh in that video is the only good thing

12. Carol P
    January 21, 2011 3:51 pm

totally agree with @ Jill. In the case of this video, being deaf is a strong asset.

13. Brittany
    January 21, 2011 4:24 pm

the back drop and the cute Pgh shirts are all that video has going for it

14. Laura
    January 21, 2011 4:47 pm

At 1:02… am I hearing things or does she say “Our 4 rivers…”????

15. Jen Bailie
    January 21, 2011 4:53 pm

Ginny, as you know, Maria is a very good friend of mine. Christian was an amazing little boy who I am so happy to have known for a few years. Thank you so much for mentioning them. It will mean a lot to her.

16. Bobby
    January 21, 2011 6:37 pm

A terrible rap song. But, then again, is there a good one? Worse yet, she has her history wrong when she states that the Mon and the Nile are the only two rivers that flow north. Here’s your geography lesson for the day.

Steelers, 24 Jets, 10

17. Silica
    January 21, 2011 9:06 pm

@Bobby There are good rap songs, but this one sure isn’t one of them. Still, Pittsburgh looks pretty good in the video.

18. BeauJacques
    January 22, 2011 10:02 am

Lucky to be deaf on this wigger piece of shit video!!

Excepting that I’m reg hetero male who’ll always watch a blonde dancing, it’s terrible!

I feel soiled.

19. johnaz6312
    January 22, 2011 10:57 am

Ugh, this video is horrible. Soon as it started I started making that face like I just ate something bad and the taste wouldn’t go away. She is a great looking girl but it doesn’t make up for the fact that the song and video sucks!!! Big Time!!

20. johnaz6312
    January 22, 2011 11:25 am

Hey!! This video is better with “mute” button on. Now were onto something here!!!!

21. Sooska
    January 22, 2011 5:29 pm

#2 I had forgotten that Letang got migraines. Asa fellow sufferer I cannot begin to understand hwo he plays hockey.

#6 Pie Day is a grand idea. Regarding Pi Day: NO E!!! Pi Day is March 14 (3.14) Pi Minute happens twice on 3.14 at 1:59 am and 1:59 pm. So geeks celebrate twice on one day. nice, huh? they eat pie, with an e. Too much? well Pi Approximation Day is July 22 or in common international date format 22/7, which means divide 22 by 7 and you get….PI. no “e'”

22. Tashina
    May 17, 2011 1:19 pm

Kellee Maize includes all her lyrics with her videos on her web page.

23. Jam
    May 25, 2011 12:51 pm

Kellee’s video is sweet I love all the Pittsburgh scenes!