Walking in Pittsburgh

I am so hungover and it has nothing to do with alcohol.

It has to do with stress and screaming and shaking and worrying and high-fiving and chest bumping and sweating and freezing and rocking and muttering and swearing and begging to be let off the roller coaster that is watching the Steelers play as of late.

While I calm down and write What They’re Really Thinking, why don’t you check out this amazing song and video by Burgher musician Tim Ruff. It’s set to the tune of Walking in Memphis and it gave me immediate chills.  If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook, you’ve already seen this because I went nuts over it yesterday. Please note that Tim has included the lyrics in the video info. You have no idea how happy that made me.

I’ve asked Tim to be the next subject of my “Five Questions for …” series over at Pittsburgh Magazine, because I’m dying to know more about him, how he wrote the song, produced the video, etc.

Enjoy. Love. Fist bump. Make it viral.

YouTube Preview Image

1. Marci
    January 24, 2011 10:36 am

At the game, on the Jumbo Tron it said “Steelers Nation” but when Coach Tomlin said his thank you he said “Steeler Nation.” The debate continues!

2. BeauJacques
    January 24, 2011 10:37 am

Despite an initial urge to jag him for ……non-ruggedness…
    I sent this out to all friends across US yest! :-)

3. BeauJacques
    January 24, 2011 10:39 am

PS ***But, is he chastising for speakin’ Burgh n’at???

4. BeauJacques
    January 24, 2011 10:42 am

PSS- He is!

…she said, “Tell me, are y’inz a Christian an’at?”
    And I said, “Ma’am get your English right!”

Jagoff light-in-his-loafers pussy!!!!!

5. Virginia
    January 24, 2011 10:44 am

It’s a song. Meant to be a humorous part in the song. God. Chill out and watch it with the names or I swear to God, I’ll block you again.

6. BeauJacques
    January 24, 2011 10:54 am

(feels like Belushi after smashing guitar on staircase)

Sorry!

7. Jen
    January 24, 2011 11:04 am

LOVE IT – and he is charming!! Thanks for sharing this. The next two weeks are going to be wonderful – look forward to your posts the next few weeks!!

8. Julie
    January 24, 2011 11:27 am

I work with him! He’s a very talented musician and all-around nice guy! Thanks for posting this, we’ve been listening to it at work all morning!

9. spoon
    January 24, 2011 11:36 am

I think he needs to write a song about commenters on here cuz BeauJacques needs a big ole sloppy hug of love

10. Joe
    January 24, 2011 12:03 pm

Even Dan Rooney said Steeler Nation. I think that is all that needs to be said. Debate over and out.

11. Paige
    January 24, 2011 12:12 pm

I work with him too and he is a FANTASTIC guy. Be sure to ask him how he feels about jagoffs who rewrite the end of the national anthem to display their vocal prowess (or lack thereof). Ream Ruff!

12. Noelle
    January 24, 2011 12:15 pm

hey coworkers (Paige and Julie)!

Tim is the sweetest guy, he deserves all the love from Pittsburgh.

13. Me
    January 24, 2011 12:26 pm

Love this! I thought that the “Ma’am get your English right” line was hysterical. Very nicely done both with the song and the video. Hope it goes very viral!

14. Valerie
    January 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Saw you post it on Facebook yesterday. What an awesome “re-make!”

15. Jenn
    January 24, 2011 1:00 pm

Love it!! Posted it on Facebook for all my friends to see!!

16. mamabear
    January 24, 2011 1:43 pm

What a cute guy! Fun remake!

17. AngryMongo
    January 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Dear lord, Josh Groban and Randy Baumann have spawned!

Just kidding.

Shared it on Facebook and it was ten times better than that Kellee Corn (you call it Maize) video.

18. Shibori
    January 24, 2011 2:04 pm

I call self-united husband! What a cutie! Love it.

19. Burghbird
    January 24, 2011 2:17 pm

I think he should also be tagged as an Adorable Burgher.

And I too thought the Pittsburghese line was hysterical!

20. Carol P
    January 24, 2011 2:40 pm

Darling and the man can carry a tune! #17- very funny!

21. Christina
    January 24, 2011 3:05 pm

HANGOVER … yeah. Ask me … When all was over and my blood pressure back to normal it was 5 am here in Germany and my alarm was set to 8.30 am. OUCH!!! But it was worth every minute of pain today being super duper tired and hungover.

The song … I LOVE IT! I will listen to it every day until the 23rd of Feb, when I will actually walk in Pittsburgh :)

And he is kinda cute! Looking forward to the 5 questions …

22. burgher-licious
    January 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Love his little grin – and yes, this was a gazillion more times better than the Maize, or whatever her name is video. You can actually understand him:) I don’t really facebook – but I can send to all my family:)

January 24, 2011 4:23 pm

if only I could stand the original, I’d check this out….

24. Mary
    January 24, 2011 4:23 pm

Well, what do you know? It looks as though the P-G is even arguing with itself. Behold, the Post-Gazette’s STEELER Nation iPhone app: http://www.post-gazette.com/steelernation/iphoneapp.asp

25. Moxie Bestos (formerly Amy L.)
    January 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Love his smile and the line about the 61C giving a ride even without the right fare. Maybe that’s why Port Authority is in such trouble.

26. jann
    January 24, 2011 4:52 pm

I so miss living in Pittsburgh – even more after watching this. Excellent job!

27. Lee
    January 24, 2011 4:59 pm

BeauJacques, it’s 2011. “light-in-his-loafers” –seriously?
    Who talks like that?
    When a guy from Pittsburgh writes a song about how awesome Pittsburgh is, we don’t look for a reason to complain about him, we lift him up. That’s what Pittsburghers do.
    Grow up!

28. Summer
    January 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Cute, nice voice, GREAT smile, great song in which he even manages to name-check the Bucs and Pens. All-around win.

29. Pingback: Tweets that mention That's Church » Walking in Pittsburgh -- Topsy.com

30. Jen
    January 24, 2011 7:10 pm

I want to know where that Steelers store (shown in the video)is…. looks like downtown???

31. SNS
    January 24, 2011 7:19 pm

@ Jen. That Steelers store is downtown at Fifth and Wood.

32. VAgirl
    January 24, 2011 7:39 pm

Loved it and I laughed when I heard the section get “your english right”. I soooo agree with the way performers get carried a with the star Spangled Sanner ala Whitney. It is on my facebook page…here we go.

33. Stella
    January 24, 2011 8:14 pm

Love this song. We’ve been playing Steelers songs all week. The song that everyone loves. Steelers Ladies. A big hit by the local group In Acchord.

We will add this song to our line up of Steelers songs.

P.S. — When working in sports marketing, I was told by the Steelers that it’s Steelers not Steeler.

34. kevin
    January 25, 2011 11:19 pm

I know in the days of political correctness I’m gonna’ get whacked, but that is about the gayest thing I’ve seen in a long time. Ginny???? What the He*% were you thinkin’? This puts the Burgh back 20 years. I think i am gonna be sick!

35. Valerie
    January 26, 2011 7:19 am

@kevin – People like you put the Burgh back 20 years, not talented young people like this guy.

36. Lee
    January 26, 2011 9:11 am

@Valerie, good call.
    @Kevin, people who call things ‘gay’ because they don’t like them sets everyone back about 200 years.

37. kevin
    January 26, 2011 12:56 pm

The political correctness police did strike as I suspected. Ouch, it’s a phrase commonly used here in the Burgh but touche’ to Val & Lee for not disapponting me in the response.

38. Lee
    January 26, 2011 2:10 pm

@kevin, it’s a commonly-used phrase everywhere — doesn’t make it okay. And honestly, why would anyone want to pick on the guy singing about how awesome our city is? I just don’t get it.