I’m not worried

When I heard that Lukey was going to shred a cheesehead at the rally today, it gave me pause. But I dismissed it. Until my tweeps on twitter started talking about it and I really thought about it and got nervous.

That’s the Packers’ Terrible Towel essentially and do we really want to risk the bad juju? Do we really want to be the ones that anger the football gods enough that we forge a Cheesehead Curse in the fires of football hell?

From the Post-Gazette:

To lusty cheers, a wooden replica of a cheese wedge was put through a city public-works shredder today at a pep rally for Sunday’s Super Bowl.

Oh, please. There’s no bad karma involved in shredding a wedge of fake cheese, except maybe Lukey will go home and find that all of his cheese mysteriously rotted while he was gone. Or maybe he’ll wake up in the morning and find angry Wisconsin cows looking in his windows.

I honestly would not care one bit if the mayor of Green Bay used a fake steel beam to beat the shit out of a wooden replica of a Terrible Towel. Have at it. Take a few whacks at Steely McBeam while you’re at it, Mr. Mayor. But touch a REAL Terrible Towel and may Myron Cope have mercy on your soul.

The Karma Boomerang to the Butt was not beckoned here today, folks.

That said. Lusty cheers?

[golf clap], P-G. [Golf clap].

1. bluzdude
    February 3, 2011 4:52 pm

As a Professor of Mojo Studies, (at my own imaginary University… If you can self-unite, I can self-certify), I decree this to be a mojo-neutral event, because it was a mere wooden replica. I am also unaware of any karmic reprocussions stemming from the destruction of a cheesehead, in recent history.

The players from the Bengals, Cardinals and Titans can attest to what befalls a team when they desecrate the Terrible Towel. I don’t see where the cheesehead carries the similar whammy.

Shred on…

2. Noelle
    February 3, 2011 4:52 pm

I don’t think cows with udders can have horns. Is that some kind of hermaphrodite bullcow abomination?

3. Noelle
    February 3, 2011 4:56 pm

@bluzdude: you can give yourself a self-PhD in anything you want as long as it doesn’t end up on your resume. My boss’s dog, for example, has a doctorate in squishology and my dog Solomon has his Juris Doggus from the Mozarf College of Dog Law at the University of Canineville.

4. Noelle
    February 3, 2011 4:58 pm

P.S. Ginny: I donated to Make Room for Kids yesterday, so I can be as dorky as I want to on the comments today, right?

5. bluzdude
    February 3, 2011 5:04 pm

@Noelle,
    That reminds me… back in (real) college I was in this kind of “mock” fraternity, where all rank and file members were given the title of “President,” expressly for use on resume’s. The actual office functions were performed by those we elected as “Grand Poobah, Not-So-Grand Poobah, Scribe, and Embezzeler.”

6. Noelle
    February 3, 2011 5:14 pm

@blizdude, AWESOME. Crappa Kegger Phi?

7. SpudMom
    February 3, 2011 5:20 pm

I’m going with Tappa Kegga Bru.

8. Noelle
    February 3, 2011 5:23 pm

Slappa Kappa Ass?

9. gunnlino
    February 3, 2011 6:13 pm

@Noelle; Yes cows with udders can and do have horns.
    Dairy cows have their horns cut off early in life so they can’t injure each other. They continue their lives otherwise unchanged.
    Take it from an old farm boy.

10. AngryMongo
    February 3, 2011 6:22 pm

@bluzdude
    playing a$$hole doesn’t count…

I know

Drink.

11. Anon
    February 3, 2011 6:49 pm

@gunnlino, Thank you for telling me this about cows. I had NO idea.

@AngryMongo, we played this drinking game in college called Questions. Did anyone else ever play that? Or like Euchre, was it just a middle Michigan sort of thing?

Who ever’s turn it was had to ask a question with multiple answers and then you went around the table giving an answer (al la family feud style) until someone was stumped. The stumped individual then had to drink. The one that got most folks stuck after a few down the line was “What is a food that is naturally blue?”

12. Noelle
    February 3, 2011 6:50 pm

I have no idea why I came up as anon above. Sorry, it’s me.

13. Pensgirl
    February 3, 2011 6:52 pm

Agreed on all counts. However, I’m confused on one point: was it a wooden replica of cheese or a wooden replica of a Cheesehead (which itself being a replica of cheese, would make Lukey’s wooden version a replica once removed)?

14. Bram R
    February 3, 2011 7:03 pm

Was actual cheese judged to be too karma-laden? Where might one find a wooden replica of cheese on a couple hours notice? Does the City employ a public whittler?

15. AngryMongo
    February 3, 2011 7:20 pm

@Anon Never played that. We played BS but a real fun non drinking game is Egyptian Rat Screw

I’m with others. There is no karma damage here. It wasn’t a real piece of cheese and it wasn’t a cheesehead foam head piece. No harm, no foul.

16. facie
    February 3, 2011 7:22 pm

I never considered shredding fake cheese to be a bad omen, until Lukey brought up bad karma or said whatever he said at the rally today. Then I kind of worried, so I kept my cheering rather lust-less. Now if someone had suggested shredding Steely McBeam, I probably could have been on board with that. Regardless, Myron Cope’s daughter was there, leading a Terrible Towel twirl, so we should be okay.

17. Owlgirl
    February 3, 2011 7:56 pm

@AngryMongo: Are you from Bethel Park? Because everyone I know who plays Egyptian Rat Screw is from BP. Or they learned it from a BP kid at a speech and debate tourney.

18. Sooska
    February 3, 2011 8:38 pm

Why the need for violence against fake cheese[head]? Personally, I would have just gotten some real Wisconsin Cheddar and made fondue for everyone at the rally.

19. AngryMongo
    February 3, 2011 11:50 pm

@Owlgirl Nope. Born and bred FayetteNamese. I learned it from a Penn Hills guy.

20. USCMike
    February 4, 2011 1:42 am

Shredded fake cheese?

Isn’t that why Domino’s is running ads to prove that their cheese is real? Or, since I don’t eat their pizza, does their cheese taste like wood chips?? ;^)

And to the thought of shredding Steely McBeam, fire up that wood chipper! The more I see of that silly mascot, the more I think we’ll be the embarrassment of the league if he’s shown on national TV, unless he’s standing next to Goodell, of course…

21. Butcher's Dog
    February 4, 2011 10:14 am

Anyone else thinking we need a football game to start? When the threads get around to drinking games and fake college fraternities, I’m thinkin’ we need more to occupy our minds.

22. Butcher's Dog
    February 4, 2011 10:14 am

Also, Egyptian Rat Screw would make a great band name.

23. Jill
    February 4, 2011 11:27 am

I think we’ve offset any bad Karma, at least on this Blog, by raising almost 10K way before the Monday deadline :)

Go Steelers!!!

February 4, 2011 12:13 pm

B-Dog,

This is partly why I’m a baseball fan. You get a new game every day with, at most, usually 24 hours between them, instead of having to fill 164 hours with yapping about the last game and yapping about the next one.

That’s ONE thing he hated, the noise Noise NOIse NOISE!