Random n’at

1. And now for my next trick, I am going to hold my breath until that thermometer hits $10,000.

[inhale]

2. I have GOT to get me some more lung power.

Pretend I’m holding my breath. My life rests in your hands.

Don’t let me down. I want to live.

3. Here’s a new way to predict the outcome of Sunday’s game.

Steel.

Versus cheese.

Had to pause this video several times because I was laughing so hard.

YouTube Preview Image

I wonder what they would have done had we been up against, say, the Cowboys.

Watch out, Naked Cowboy!

4. Sunday’s game doesn’t start until the evening hours, so if you’re looking to throw some good karma out into the world before kickoff, consider stopping by the Highland Laurel Gallery in Beaver for their Haiti: The Rising exhibit which will feature many of the pictures Team Tassy took in Haiti.  On Sunday, Tassy, who is recovering here in Pittsburgh following his surgeries, and his lifesaver, Ian Rosenberger and some members of Team Tassy, will be there.

Do you realize how rare it is to call someone a lifesaver and LITERALLY mean life saver? Your husband brings important papers to you at work that you left at home and you say, “Thank you. You’re a life saver.”  But to meet a person, not a doctor, who saw a young man in a third world country dying from a treatable tumor, and said, “We’re going to get that taken care of?”

Very rare.

Go give some pats on the back!

5.  My husband was in Cancun for a few days visiting his parents (yes, having in-laws that live in Cancun is pretty freaking fantastic), and snapped this picture of what used to be Pat O’Briens (where I met my husband!) and is now an empty storefront. The owner, though, found a use for the outside of the building. Steeler shrine.

That’s a terrible pic, I’m sorry. I’ll try to get a higher res version of it from him. But, yeah, how awesome is that?

I bet there’s not a single Casa de los Quesos sign in all of Mexico.

Except maybe on an actual cheese store.

6.  My interview with the Twerrible Towel team is up at Pittsburgh Magazine.

Go read about how they came up with the idea and how they made it all happen.

And see what the answer to this question is:

Do you have to kill me if you tell me this? Where is the Twerrible Towel? Your kitchen? Your bathroom? Your office? A secret bunker?

Five Questions for … Tim Ruff will hopefully be up today!

7.Tim Ruff’s Walking in Pittsburgh has 76,000 views. Whew.

8. The first episode of the Baristas is up and CAPTIONED. Like, REAL captioned! Not, hey, let’s let the computer try to figure THIS word out, but, CAPTIONED!

I love Justin Kownacki for doing that.

And who is this Lacey Fleming girl?! I think I love her too.

I’m going to go cry now. I’m so happy.

Also, “Just tell him it’s decaf. [to the store patron] IT’S ALL IN YOUR HEAD.”

LOL.

My new favorite show.

9. I forget to post this yesterday because, BUSY DAY, but if you missed the goalie fight at the last Pens game …

I need to pause a second to say, GOALIE FIGHT. Two words so rarely put together.

Brent Johnson versus the Islanders DiPietro in defense of DiPietro’s hit on Cooke.

See who wins. With one punch.

YouTube Preview Image

This is the best thing I saw on the internet right after that fight.

That’s church.

10. Today is Steelers Head to Toe day for our school district. Actually, it’s been various Steelers Days all week. I ran out of black and gold stuff to send my kid to school in, so today was repeats.

But check out my nephew.

He wins today.

11. Finally, snapped in Mexico City’s El Angel Square by my facebook friend Carlos, who is my husband’s REAL friend:

Wow. Abrazos y besos to them!

1. SpudMom
    February 4, 2011 11:33 am

I donated my piddly little amount. Sorry it wasn’t more!

2. Jaime
    February 4, 2011 11:46 am

Pat O Briens closed!? So sad! We ate there on our honeymoon!

3. George
    February 4, 2011 11:46 am

Donated. Happy Friday!
    Go Pens and Go Steelers!!!!

4. AngryMongo
    February 4, 2011 11:59 am

…that man licking a steel bar.

Pass the eye bleach.

LOL. I predict you will reach the goal before kick off.

February 4, 2011 12:09 pm

First of all, Cooke deserved to get clobbered for throwing a hip and then taking a dive.

Second, the goalie “fight” reminds me of the old line, “That would be a two-hit fight: Me hitting you, and you hitting the [ice].” I chuckled at DiPietro being all “Don’t hit me, man! PLEEEEEASE don’t hit me.”

I intensely dislike hockey fights, I think that if they can largely eliminate fighting (if that’s what you want to call it when baseball players slap at each other while the bullpens take 30 minutes to arrive at the scene) in the other three sports, they can largely eliminate fighting in hockey. But damn, if hockey fights aren’t easily the best.

6. Rachel
    February 4, 2011 12:10 pm

I love watching that meter climb! Pittsburghers near and far ROCK!!!!

7. Kacie
    February 4, 2011 12:15 pm

I like that there’s .47 on the ticker! It’ll hit $10k by the end of the day. GO PEOPLE.

8. Butcher's Dog
    February 4, 2011 12:34 pm

@bucdaddy: Gotta disagree. Cooke was skating by, although probably more closely than he needed to, and Fragile Ricky (the $100-plus million dollar man) came out to get him. He had a butt-whipping coming. And, while hockey fights can sometimes be redundant, they tend to clear the air and help teams focus (sorry Ginny’s husband is in Mexico now and not available to read that sentence out loud). Max and “Ssshhhhhhh!” can arguably be said to have won the Cup. I wasn’t liking how that game (and hence series) was going before that. Plus, I’m lookin’ for some gloves on the ice Sunday afternoon against the Crapitals, since they’re the ones who scrambled Sid’s cranium. Watching that will be theraputic.

As to other sports, basketball fights are the nastiest because they usually start with a sucker punch and there’s no padding. Baseball fights are the worst, although if it’s possible to get injured and out for the year by jumping on home plate and having teammates pig-pile you it calls into question the “athleticism” of those involved. I love baseball and am sticking to my statement that the Bucs will be worst-to-first in two years, but hockey players are probably the second-best conditioned athletes in the world next to the people in Cirque du Soleil.

9. Christina
    February 4, 2011 12:42 pm

FINALLY within in the all the football crazyness I got the see the famous GOALIE FIGHT I missed because I was SO tired and crashed in my hotel bed in London.

It’s GORGEOUS! I LOVE the reaction of the Pen’s bench *hehehehe* – those guys had fun!

But now somebody please tell me what is REALLY wrong with Sid. My game is in 2.5 weeks and I would be sooooo sad not to see him play. I mean, I am flying half around the planet to do that *sobbbbb*.

—-

At this second only 70$ left to 10k! AWESOME STUFF!

—-

LET’S GO STEELERS LET’S GO!!!

February 4, 2011 12:44 pm

B-Dog, It sure look to me like Cooke was the one who altered course at the last instant and stuck a hip in. Thought he got what was coming to him.

I enjoy baseball fights simply to watch the relievers come … um, “running” in from the pen. I always think, “You know, if they really want to fight, why can’t they go at it out there?”

I saw a fight at a Hershey Bears game several generations ago that looked like something out of a Looney Tunes cartoon. I don’t have time to describe it right now but it was the best fight I never saw.

Gotta go make lunch.

11. NicoleinTallahassee
    February 4, 2011 12:50 pm

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pittsburgh is so kick-ass!!! Over $10,000 and counting baby!

12. Old NorthSider
    February 4, 2011 1:08 pm

Love the pic of your nephew. Brought back happy memories when I sent my son to elementary school all decked out in his Steeler Gear/Jerome Bettis jersey. I somehow wrote Pittsburgh Day on my calender when it was truly Picture Day! Best school picture ever! The dread on his face when he yelled at the window of the school bus– “It’s picture day not Pittsburgh Day!” was priceless.

13. Mary
    February 4, 2011 1:09 pm

Look at that! More than $10,000, and it’s only Friday! Surely this earns us a dorky photo or two. Please, Ginny?

Thanks for your efforts on behalf of Make Room for Kids.

14. Colleen - Mommy Always Wins
    February 4, 2011 1:09 pm

Um, you DO know they make those “terrible towels” in Madison, WI, right? There *may* be a reason they made them black-on-gold in stead of the other way around… ;)

15. Joe K.
    February 4, 2011 1:28 pm

Brent Johnson rocks. Overlooked among the Pens stars is that they’re now one of the best defensive teams in the league.

February 4, 2011 2:04 pm

Mmmmmmm, Omaha steak salad with fries out of the oven …

OK, where was I?

This was the early ’80s. We were at the Hershey arena watching the Bears play the Adirondack Red Wings, and the Bears were getting their butts kicked, it was like 6-2 with about seven minutes left in the game, and there had been a lot of chippiness all game when suddenly about five fights broke out. The refs went from one to the other but every time they quelled one another started somewhere else. This went on for maybe five minutes until everyone settled down and it came time to hand out penalties.

The refs kicked three players out of the game, two Bears and a Wing. The two Bears headed down the ramp to the locker room. The one Wing started down the (same) ramp (there was only one way to both locker rooms, apparently), when he stopped and turned and made a sort of “Come on!” gesture to the Bears’ goalie, who took off after him DOWN THE RAMP, followed by most of both teams’ remaining players.

We looked at each other, half expecting to look up to the third tier of seats and see the players come pouring out of an entrance, chasing each other around the arena like some Three Stooges routine.

They all spent maybe 10 minutes back there, everyone except the refs (who clearly wanted no part of leaving the ice) and maybe half a dozen players, one of whom was the (late) legendary Spinner Spencer, who sat atop one of the goal cages with a grin, sort of looking around like, “Can you BELIEVE this shit?”

Eventually players started trickling back up the ramp and after awhile they restarted the game and finished it.

I’ve never seen anything like it, before or since.

17. empirechick
    February 4, 2011 3:20 pm

@bucdaddy –

You are one of my favorite commenters, but you are dead wrong about Cooke and DiPietro. Cooke is no angel, certainly, but he didn’t do ANYTHING in this case.

My seats are in 212, just to the left of the net, so everything was right in front of me. On the replays from center ice it’s hard to tell, but Cooke was heading to the loose puck in the corner and DiPietro completely stepped out into him. It was so obvious that I couldn’t believe the ref didn’t call a penalty.

But the goalie fight was fabulous – not much of a ‘fight’ really, but the arena was going NUTS as Johnson came down the ice. Next to being at Game 7 in Detroit, it’s quite possibly my favorite hockey moment. BTW, DiPietro is out 4-6 weeks with facial fractures. Ha!

@Christina –

Hopefully Sid will be back before your game. He started skating earlier this week, so that’s a good sign.

18. Butcher's Dog
    February 4, 2011 4:56 pm

Empirechick beat me to the news that DiPietro’s out 4-6 weeks. Facial fractures and knee swelling. That’ll teach ’em to mess with Johnny.

Christina, we’ll be praying for you but not all that hopeful. He’s gotta pass post-mild exercise tests, then post-hard exercise tests, then condition for game activity. I’d put the over-under on all that at two and a half weeks and may be tempted to take the over. Cross your fingers.

February 4, 2011 5:51 pm

empirechick,

Well, it’s a close call. It looks like DiPietro starts to move to his right and then changes his mind and shifts back a little to where he was originally. It appears Cooke shifts to HIS right to go around diPietro and then shifts slightly back left, as if he expected diPietro to slide out of his way. Without doing a frame-by-frame Zapruder analysis, it’s possible they both thought the other was going to move aside, and therefore they could stay in the original spot (diPietro) or move in the original direction (Cooke). I think if they were basketball players you’d call diPietro for a blocking foul, because he wasn’t stationary, but if it were a less spectacular collision you wouldn’t call anything at all, just incidental contact.

But yeah, I can see how you might see it the other way.

You beat me to the 4-6 weeks thing too. Johnson broke his face with one punch. Ouch.

20. Smith
    February 4, 2011 8:54 pm

Haha. I dated “Ben” from The Baristas in high school. Sooooo Pittsburgh.

21. MiamiShyner
    February 4, 2011 9:04 pm

Would you be so kind as to tell me where exactly that Patty O’s is? Or just tell me it’s not the one across from The Royal. I have memories like Janie. :)