Super Bowl Remainders

Just a few things to get out of the way before we say goodbye to football and hello to FIVE HUNDRED BASEBALL!

I kid.

1. Bakerella made this amazing spread of Steelers goodies for a Super Bowl party.

Outstanding.

Kinda makes the black and gold thumbprint cookies we got from Giant Eagle look like poop.

2. In case you haven’t noticed, “Poop” is the theme of Super Bowl XLV here at That’s Church.

Somewhere, there’s a bunch of monkeys flinging poop at each other all, “About time!”

3. Steelers fans are like none other. From When Parents Text:

So THAT’S why we lost. Way to go, Me.

4.  What some of the Steelers are tweeting from verified accounts:

Some of them are using abbreviations and that might be a bit confusing. Let me translate their tweets for you: “Poop.”

4. Before Christina Aguilera effed up the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner in front of 162 million people (ouch), I asked musician Tim Ruff, he of Walking in Pittsburgh fame, which is up to 92,000 views, five questions for Pittsburgh Magazine.  One of those questions was about the National Anthem.

I hear from your co-workers that you’ve got a pet peeve about National Anthem singers. What is it, and what did you think of Martina McBride’s version before the AFC Championship game?

Go have a read to see his answer.

Following the Super Bowl, Tim emailed me to say about Christina that “she went so far with her vocal acrobatics that she screwed up the words. Sick.”

In other words, “Poop.”

5. Finally, if you enjoyed yesterday’s What They’re Really Thinking, perhaps got a chuckle out of it, and haven’t yet thrown a few dollars into the Make Room for Kids fund, consider doing so for our city’s sick kids.

We’ll be taking that donate button down tomorrow morning.

1. Joe K.
    February 8, 2011 1:51 pm

Good point by Tim Ruff about the national anthem. It’s always better when the singer plays it straight, with maybe some embellishment at the last verse. Aguilera tried to stretch every damn note.

I think it was last year I went to a Pirate game and it was just a guy playing saxophone for the national anthem, no lyrics. That was pretty cool.

2. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    February 8, 2011 1:55 pm

She screwed up the National Anthem at the last opening day for the Pirates at Three Rivers, too. I am with Tim Ruff. There’s no need for the embellishment or, in my opinion, the crazy facial expressions. Christine looked like she was in severe pain — like she was trying to take a giant poop after weeks of constipation.

3. Magnus Patris
    February 8, 2011 2:01 pm

Yesterday’s WWTRT was worth at least a $20 donation for MR4K.

pirates: this is the year!

4. G-Man
    February 8, 2011 2:19 pm

500 baseball? Did you move to another city?
    Just want to add here that these Pirates – the ones who lost 105 games last year will only sell fans a single seat in the farthest upper deck sections or standing room only for Opening Day. If you want to sit with friends for the Opener, you have to stay home and watch on TV – OR – buy season tickets. If you are willing to buy at least a 10-game season ticket plan, then the Bucs will let you attend the Opener.
    These marketing guys may be the same ones who built those seats in Dallas that failed the safety test.

5. JennyMoon
    February 8, 2011 2:19 pm

Let’s go Bucs!!

6. Aileen
    February 8, 2011 2:49 pm

I know this is going to sound like one of those 12 step programs – but my husband and I have seen Pirate season ticket holders (all 81 games)for as long as we’ve been married, which is almost 20 years.

Yeah, I feel like a doofus by June most years and our son, who’s almost 13 (and shares a birthday with Max Talbot) has seen the Bucs at home and on the road in six cities. And no, don’t threaten to call CYS on me, that’s not child abuse.

I obviously hope the Bucs do well. I want them to succeed under Clint Hurdle well more than anything. Why? Because I think Clint Hurdle is going to turn out to be a guy like us – he picked Pittsburgh because it has the BEST place in the country to treat his daughter’s disability.

That’s a guy I can respect and support.

7. Lindsay
    February 8, 2011 2:50 pm

I donated the money I would have spent on my super bowl champs t-shirt ;)
    Thanks for your funny posts.

8. Sooska
    February 8, 2011 3:05 pm

#4 Jeff Jimerson, primo anthem-singer.

9. Kristie
    February 8, 2011 3:30 pm

Thanks for the Bakerella link. That Steeler display was amazing! Notice she said Steeler Nation…

10. Bob
    February 8, 2011 3:36 pm

If she beat her kid with a belt on the 50 yd line she wouldn’t be this criticized.

11. Aileen
    February 8, 2011 3:45 pm

Loved the Bakerella link.

I have this mental image of Casey Hampton with a handful of 98’s and chomping away…nom, nom

12. Pensgirl
    February 8, 2011 3:51 pm

What kills me is she used to sing the anthem all the time at Pens games when she was a kid. She should be able to knock it out on autopilot at this point.

13. Butcher's Dog
    February 8, 2011 4:14 pm

Soooo…did anyone else think this about the National Anthem? Stick with me here a minute. Those four fighter jets that did the fly-by within, like, a half-second after the song was over…how far did you think they flew from the time she started singing? My guess is that a big bunch of money went into telling her that she had to take X number of minutes/seconds regardless or they were going to look like morons. You worry more about trying to hit something to the second than about what you’re actually singing and, yes, there’s a chance you’ll blow the words. Maybe that’s not a legitimate excuse, but I’m thinking it was a contributing factor. As usual, just sayin’.

At the risk of over repetition: the Bucs are goin’ worst to first in two years. Write it down. To those who think they’re not willing to spend, let’s not overlook that they got a high school pitcher last year in Round 2 who fell that low because he wanted Round 1 money. Presumably he got it. And they’re gettin’ the overall Number One this year, for whom they will probably pay what the market requires. Like Benny, let’s give ’em some time and space to show that they’ve moved on from past mistakes before we throw more dirt on the grave.

14. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    February 8, 2011 4:33 pm

@Aileen — I think I have to join you in that 12 step program. This is my 20th season as a Pirates season ticket holder. I’ve seen the Bucs on the road in NY, Chicago, DC, Seattle, Boston and even San Juan, Puerto Rico. I am optimistic about this season, but then again, I’m optimistic every season.

15. jeff
    February 8, 2011 4:35 pm

I came back here to trash talk (after many months away). Instead I’ll pass. Unlike the 2001 AFC Championship game, which started my intense Steeler hatred, or 2004 which only served to make it worse, Hines Ward and everyone else lost with class, and held themselves accountable for the loss. No matter how much you want to analyze how long Belichick shakes the other coach’s hand, the Patriots always take accountability for every loss (or win), and move on to the next game, and I appreciate seeing that in the Steelers. I wish you all a wonderful and healthy off-season, a .500 Pirates season, and many self-accountable Steelers losses in 2012 (because we all know the 2011 season isn’t going to happen).

16. jeff
    February 8, 2011 4:39 pm

Oh… and a word of warning. I think you all are starting to finally get a taste of what happens when you win too much. People hate a winner, and will latch onto any reason to justify it (eg Roethlisberger, Harrison)… it happened in New England (well before the spygate crap, though that allowed many Steelers fans to justify their hate) and it happened this year (with a LOT of Packer bandwagon jumpers). Welcome to the club, which at the rate Brady is going, I (as a Patriots fan) am currently leaving…

17. Pensgirl
    February 8, 2011 4:53 pm

“My guess is that a big bunch of money went into telling her that she had to take X number of minutes/seconds regardless or they were going to look like morons.”

I did actually think about it at the time, but I assumed the TV schedulers set the minimum and maximum range for the song, she was permitted to style an arrangement that feel within that range, and then they timed the fighter jets’ arrival off her arrangement and told her she had to stick diligently to her time.

18. Pensgirl
    February 8, 2011 4:54 pm

*fell not feel

19. Andrea
    February 8, 2011 5:01 pm

And I thought we were the only ones that continued to enable the Pirates by owning season tickets. We too have seen the team on the road….

I like to think of spring as the time of eternal hope…the snow will stop, the sun will shine, my plants will come up in the garden and the Pirates will play decent (.500 ) ball. I have a 17 year old son who loves the team, hopefully he will see a winning season this year.

February 8, 2011 5:15 pm

poop.

21. Woy
    February 8, 2011 5:31 pm

Hey Ginny – can you give me the telephone numbers of your sisters? I want to coordinate a Pirates intervention immediately.

22. Linda
    February 8, 2011 5:35 pm

Just bought Skyblast seats-Go Buccos!

23. YinzerInExile
    February 8, 2011 5:58 pm

Pitchers and catchers report on the 13th!!!

And that was, seriously, my pick-me-up thought yesterday.

My mum is on her way to the ballpark this weekend to pick up her partial plan, as well.

LETS GO BUCS!!

24. CMA
    February 8, 2011 6:39 pm

RE: Tim Ruff comments…CHURCH!

Whipping Boy from The X posted on Facebook that there is actually a technical term for it! Check out his page on Facebook!

Whipping Boy: “hmmm, turns out there is a word for this… this thing that I hate, that Xtina abused….”

25. BeauJacques
    February 8, 2011 7:17 pm

ANYBODY, and I mean anybody who spends even $1.00, or even accepts free tickets and goes to a Pittsburgh Taxpayer-financed Nutting Family-Fund game in PNC Park is a horse’s ass, on a par with donating cash to Al Queida!!!!

26. BeauJacques
    February 8, 2011 7:19 pm

Scalp ALL tose free tix and donate to one of Ginny’s projects!!

(Looking into matching anti-Nutting donation money!)

February 8, 2011 9:25 pm

BeauJacques,

I love you, man, but shut up.

28. YinzerInExile
    February 8, 2011 10:30 pm

@BJ — seriously, I love baseball. And the Pirates are my home team. The way the team is run may give me pause, but I only get one home team, so I’ll be damned if I let the Nutting’s rob me of baseball.

29. POLITICALPARTYPOOPER
    February 8, 2011 10:34 pm

I just got off the phone with Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder. I made them promise not to beat your Pirates 20-0 if Ginny will actually go to a game again.

What do ya say Ginny?

30. Cordicron
    February 9, 2011 6:57 pm

Myron Cope absolutely despised singers who felt it necessary to jazz up the Star Spangled Banner! He said it doesn’t need any more notes than what was written. Yoi and double yoi