A pox upon them?

We haven’t talked too much about the Pens lately because I’ve been so wrapped up in Steelers news.

Now that the Steelers have pooped out (OMG. I am going to beat this dead poop horse until it poops more poop), we can focus on what’s really important right now, and that is this:

WTF IS GOING ON?!

First, Sidney Crosby, the victim of a head hit, has been out with a “mild concussion” for ten years now. It seems.  The timetable for his return is “WE DON’T EFFING KNOW BECAUSE HE WENT HOME TO NOVA SCOTIA.”

Add to that that Geno, who was previously out this season because of his shoulder and also a sinus infection, is now out for six months with a busted knee. SIX MONTHS. Today is February. March. April. May. June. July. August. Eff.

Add to that, Matt Cooke getting suspended for four games for a dirty hit.

Add to that, Letetsu out, whose name makes me think of the tsetse fly.

Add to that that I’m on a diet and it’s making me punchy.

What’s that spell? Let me do the math for you.

Sidney out + Geno out + TseTse flies + Cookie out + Angry Diet + I want a cookie now = Hockey hell.

Yesterday, we lost 4-1 to the Columbus Blue Jackets, which I assure you, against all odds, is an actual NHL team.

I’m not saying we’re going to fall apart. I’m not saying we won’t make the playoffs. I’m not saying Sidney won’t be back.

We’re still in second place in our division under the Flyers [patooie patooie]. We’re in fourth place in our conference.

We’re still doing okay. We have a lot of heart. A lot of grit.

I’m just saying I’m worried.

And I want Sid back.

And I want a cookie.

1. Cassie
    February 9, 2011 5:47 pm

Bourque was speculating that his whiplash is what’s REALLY keeping him out. I just hope it’s not a career altering/ending issue. I know he’s our golden boy and the NHL’s best player, so they are probably babying him, but the fact that they aren’t saying anything makes me uneasy.

Everyone reacts to concussions differently. Unfortunately two in a row isn’t good for anyone.

2. Magnus Patris
    February 9, 2011 6:04 pm

As my 7 year old said yesterday, “What kind of name is ‘Blue Jackets”? Really dad, what’s their REAL name?” It’s as stupid a name as the Pittsburgh Power (which everyone is talking about, I’m told… by their TV commercials). Gotta be the year for the Pirates or else I may have to start asking for FSN to start carrying the Pittsburgh Quidditch Club. (Google it).

3. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    February 9, 2011 6:08 pm

That sign brought a smile to my face. It’s from the roadways/parking lots on Phillip Island in Australia and the little penguins. I loved that spot. I’m going to light a candle at Mass on Sunday for our big Penguins.

4. Summer
    February 9, 2011 6:36 pm

It gets much worse, and they’re gonna draw random fans from the stands to fill out all four lines.

Let’s go Pens.

5. Christina
    February 9, 2011 7:22 pm

The moment the message comes that Kris Letang is out for the nex two million years because of a papercut on his right index fingertip, I burn my tickets for the 23rd and change my flights from New York – Pittsburgh – New York to New York – Hawai – one way.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not saying Sid is hanging out on his mom’s couch because it’s fun. I know he would give a lot to be healthy and able to play. He loves and lives hockey.
    I just feel like not being told the truth and that is bad. His safety and health has first priority. I’d just like to know what is REALLY wrong with him because it is obviously something serious. I so hope he will be okay soon again.

Never the less – I am frustrated and sad. I am flying around the planet (there is a Europe-New York flight before the NYC-PGH-NYC thing) and now I end up without Geno and Sid (and some more being out). It is none of their fault but I seriously quarrel with my obviously bad karma *sniff*.

BTW – The hash tag for my depressed rants of Twitter is #emptyice.

Ginny: Since I booked in fact non-changable flights and cannot really afford to go on a one-way-trip to Hawai ;o), I will be like planned at the game on the 23rd as long as the Pens have any guys who could at least try to play. Invitation / MRFK offer is still up. Just let me know …

6. Trish
    February 9, 2011 7:52 pm

I read an article about Sid today in which it was stated he was “with his family in a warm weather environment.”

Um … since when is Nova Scotia in February effing WARM?!

My guess is you won’t see Sid till the playoffs. Guess I just have to ogle Max Talbot until then.

7. Aileen
    February 9, 2011 9:12 pm

We bought tickets for tomorrow night’s game as a gift for my son’s birthday, which happens to be Friday – same as the aforementioned object of ogle, Max Talbot.

I can’t stand the silence on Sidney. The longer it goes on, the more ominous it looks.

Good thing that HBO series was on a few weeks ago – if we were watching it now it wouldn’t be a barrel of laughs.

8. Kathy
    February 9, 2011 9:56 pm

Did you steal that pic from my website? :) It’s from Penguin Parade on Phillip Island, btw.

Given the math, you may have better luck getting a cookie. Just sayin’.

9. Butcher's Dog
    February 10, 2011 9:18 am

One of the problems with concussions (says the retired English teacher) is that no one really knows what’s going on inside the cranium, either physically or mentally. And if you expect openness from a hockey team on the state of injuries then I want to know what is the color of the sky on the planet you’re from. Because down here on the Big Blue Marble, calling it anything more than an “upper body injury” is considered Wikileaks transparency.

@Ginny: On a diet, eh? Want a cookie, eh? And you thought there’d be no lasting effects from Arbor Mist! Next time have bucdaddy recommend some beers from Sharper Image, or I can give you the name of a nice buttery cabernet sold in PA in 1.5 liter bottles only. Anything but Arbor Mist.

Finally, anyone else thinking maybe the city’s jinxed with all the injuries? Steelers lose most of the offensive line plus Aaron Smith and Troysus (for a time), Pens have ’em dropping like flies, and Pitt hoops has Ashton Gibbs down two weeks with a knee injury. Any way we can pin this on Lukey’s partying? Or on City Counsel? Or the parking issue? Discuss.

10. bluzdude
    February 10, 2011 10:14 am

You want a good diet? Swear to yourself you will only have one cookie for each Penguin goal.

11. mis
    February 10, 2011 10:33 am

I am worried too. And I still think something was up with Troysus and they just wouldn’t tell us. Or maybe he just sucked the last 3 games.
    Who knows. At least Fleury is still ok. If he wasn’t my daughter would be in hysterics – major crush going on there.

12. CrashJK
    February 10, 2011 10:36 am

Well…thanks for bring us back to hockey talk (until you find that NY Jet’s QB Mark Sanchez has a 17 year old girl friend – then it’s back to QB’s and their penis problems…)-

Yes, things are not well at the IceCube (aka CEC) – at least MAF and Staal are healthy (then again, number 11 better get his shit together and pick it up – someone has to start leading and scoring now), but tonight we get a new four pack of AHL Baby Pens to work with – whoo hoo….more minors !!!

I’d hate to be Uncle Ray Shero right now – his first question is “WILL Sid return this season ? Gotta figure it’s a matter of do you write off this season as SUCK and then hope for 2011/12 or do you make some trades (by 2/28)to add some major scoring star power and give away some fan favorites and minor league potentials – then the Cap Space BS….

Oh well – I ramble, I need coffee….Matt Cooke Monster got the shaft…I love Cooke Monster, glad he’s a ‘Guin…

Let’s GO Banged up PENS !

13. Pam101
    February 10, 2011 10:53 am

Amen Sister.
    And I so want a cookie too.

February 10, 2011 10:54 am

Next time have bucdaddy recommend some beers from Sharper Image

Um, on the shelf next to the humidifers?

Oh, you meant Sharp Edge! I dunno, I don’t get the sense Ginny could handle serious beer. This is someone who pines — nay, YEARNS — for her long-lost Zima.

Although I DID properly train Mrs. Daddy and now she can never go back. So maybe if Ginny had a Dirty Ho …

15. empirechick
    February 10, 2011 11:06 am

@bucdaddy –

I’m curious about the buttery cabernet…

16. BB
    February 10, 2011 11:17 am

the NHL used to release the injuries in detail, but no longer due. it’s annoying!

we’re not dead in the water yet…but without those boys the team isn’t very consistent. and lack of consistency doesn’t bode well for the playoffs…

February 10, 2011 11:28 am

are the hanson brothers still available?

February 10, 2011 11:42 am

empirechick,

Cabernet? What’s that?

Butter, I know.

*wink*

19. empirechick
    February 10, 2011 12:37 pm

whoops! I meant @Butcher’s Dog…

My apologies, bucdaddy, I didn’t mean to impugn your reputation!

20. Butcher's Dog
    February 10, 2011 12:38 pm

@empirechick: that was me, not bucdaddy. I know…all us old farts look alike, especially online!

I’m not sure of protocol here concerning naming specific brands and labels. I have no personal stake in any wine company, but I don’t want to do something Ginny doesn’t like. Don’t really want to post my personal e-mail either. If Ginny says it’s OK to mention the label, I will. Can’t really think of another way other than having you post your e-mail, which I really don’t want to see either. We’re all happier, I assume, behind this cloak we all share.

21. Joe K.
    February 10, 2011 1:29 pm

Pens called up four people I never heard of today. Remember the Muskegon line in the 90’s? Jock Callender, Mike Needham, and one or two others I can’t remember. LET’S GO PENS!

22. Pa-pop
    February 10, 2011 2:44 pm

If Myr’n was alive and covering hockey, I could hear him now: “Hm-ha, the Penguins today called up four guys named Harry…”

23. CrashJK
    February 10, 2011 4:26 pm

@Joe K. – I believe tonights 4 call ups are to display “trade bait” talent to the rest of the league…Feb 28th is fast approaching and Uncle Ray has some shopping to do.