The War on Potholes begins anew

When I saw the headline …

… my first thought was, “How about we just call and tell them where there AREN’T any potholes?”

Seems easier to say, “Hey, I found a ten foot stretch of road without potholes” than to say, “Hey, I hit 35 potholes while in Shadyside. Here they are in order of depth and viciousness.”

Also:

Complaints should be as detailed as possible.

Details. I can do details.

Dear Lukey, the caller who just called 311 and said, “A giant pothole on Fifth, six inches deep and shaped like Afghanistan, just ate my muffler, burped loudly, and then grabbed its balls and flipped me off?”

Wasn’t me.

1. G-Man
    February 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Ed: How deep is that pothole?
    Johnny: That pothole is so deep 33 Chilean miners were spotted climbing out.

2. Duncan
    February 10, 2011 4:03 pm

That pothole can’t be an exhaust port from hell because it’d be warmer if it was.

3. Erin
    February 10, 2011 4:45 pm

haaaaaaaa. awesome.

4. PK
    February 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Even though the city barely salts the East End streets these days (thanks Mr. Kazamawhoski) we have some of the WORST potholes. Shady Avenue & Monitor near Mindadeo Elementary is practically worn down to the original brick. And on Highland there’s no room to try to dodge them – even on the section they just paved last summer.

Why can’t we have one of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WN8uQnE8VE&feature=related

5. Burghbird
    February 10, 2011 7:08 pm

Pioneer Avenue near Brookline Boulevard looks like downtown Baghdad.

6. jdp
    February 10, 2011 7:19 pm

I hit a sneaky one so big that now my whole car pops, creaks and sounds like something is about to fall off every time I turn or hit a minor bump. I’m afraid its my windshield or something and its going to fall out. I’m hoping its just that its SO DANG COLD and the noises will stop when the temps here (north of you) get above single digits.

7. Julie
    February 11, 2011 9:52 am

shadyside is always bad. shady ave near walnut – bad, shady ave near penn – bad, ellsworth – bad, centre – on and off bad. please summer come soon.

8. Matt
    February 11, 2011 10:46 am

This made me think of the App Boston is testing that will automatically report a pothole when is senses your car going over one.

9. Julia
    February 11, 2011 2:11 pm

You know, if they would fill potholes that aren’t already filled with water and mud, I bet some of the repairs would actually last longer than two months.

No joke either! The news was showcasing the new war on potholes, and they showed a video of a road crew patching a deep pothole. Except, wait for it, the damn pothole was filled to the top with water, then they poured that patching shit in. It’s not going to freaking work if you don’t even attempt to do it right!!!

10. rebelliousflaw
    February 14, 2011 9:08 pm

This totally made me LOL. And, I actually pulled out my iPhone, snapped a pic and uploaded it through the City’s iBurgh app. The pothole I sent in the photo appears to have since been patched. Or maybe it’s just well packed with some poor guy’s tire.