David Conrad really loves Pittsburgh

There’s an op-ed piece in today’s Post-Gazette by my charter self-united husband and future best friend David Conrad in which he talks about the Civic Arena and what he hopes ends up happening to that plot of land. He’s not fighting to save the arena, it seems; he’s fighting that whatever replaces it is worthy of Pittsburgh.

It is an amazing work of art.  Yes, an editorial work of art that makes you want to stand up and put your hand over your heart and say things like “Of thee I sing.”

A snippet:

The Lower Hill development will for better or worse remake the face of the city for the next 50 years. There’s no larger, more central piece of property left to dream on. And that’s what should happen. What is built there shouldn’t just make a dime, it should make everyone, black and white, drop their jaws.

Pittsburgh, hard-bitten and practical though it seems, is a magical place. It’s weird and warped and beautiful and it makes you want to fight for it. The number of men I’ve seen cry openly as they told me how they wished they could move back here I can’t count.

Right now, we’re just starting to stanch the population loss, we’re getting people to love it here, we’re riding a national obsession with “authenticity,” we’re the heart of Steeler Nation, we keep getting called the “most livable city,” and we might be the only place in America were Republicans and Democrats could actually find some middle ground.

The city’s at a turning point. Pittsburgh’s poised to make it. And we are about to run smack into the greatest financial crisis in the city’s history. What to do?

Break the law. Yes, you heard me. Declare, as a group, that “we” the people of Pittsburgh “own” what happens here.

The entire thing is just filled to the tippy top with amazing words arranged in an amazing fashion in a way that makes you want to see the lower Hill get what it deserves, and I’m not just saying that because he’s my self-united husband who will one day be my best friend even if I have to risk jail to MAKE HIM LOVE ME.

Regardless of whether you agree with him or not, you’ve got to love a man, a Hollywood star at that, who is so committed to a city where his family no longer even lives, that he passionately fights for it instead of just walking westward with his giant sack of money slung over his shoulder.

I love him. And if you love him too, let me know and I’ll give him a hug for you, because, seriously, step off.

Also, “Steeler Nation.”

[awkward kung fu moves]

1. Bethany
    February 11, 2011 1:06 pm

Truly awesome piece! (Please note: this statement is in no way me trying to make a move on your man)

2. athletichic
    February 11, 2011 1:08 pm

Seriously, is he single? Seriously.

3. Cari
    February 11, 2011 1:08 pm

HEART you David Conrad! Please give him a hug from California! :)

4. Pingback: Tweets that mention That's Church » David Conrad really loves Pittsburgh -- Topsy.com

5. Michelle
    February 11, 2011 2:20 pm

And THIS is why I love this man.

6. HeatherB
    February 11, 2011 3:10 pm

He gets it! We need to use our voices to take responsibility for the future of our city. It’s not enough to have an opinion; we need to speak up and be heard. I’m so pumped after reading this!

7. Christina
    February 11, 2011 3:20 pm

Some thoughts about this:

1) Damn good writing, but that’s not a suprise. He proofed that talent a couple of times before.

2) HOPEFULLY people will now finally understand that this is not exactly about keeping the Igloo for whatever it might cost. David said months ago in a radio interview that he does not really care if the Civic Arena itself stays or not AS LONG AS the new building / complex replacing it (with pieces of the old strutcture or without) will do good for The Hill District and the city in general – and that would not be another mall, cinema and the standard restaurant chains. And that this is very much about not making the same mistake twice, which is never good.

3) STEELER NATION it is *hehe*

4) Braddock? Can please somebody film the moment the first guy steps up to David and tells him to shut up and stop talking Pittsburgh topics because he is not even living in the city anymore?
    I expect a single, elegant Brent Johnson kind of punch from David and I do not want miss that one like I missed the goalie fight ;)

February 11, 2011 3:23 pm

we’re the heart of Steeler Nation

Oh no, he DI-n’t. I bet you edited out the “S.”

9. TripleC
    February 11, 2011 3:42 pm

Good article. But have you ever thought of writing for Playgirl?

10. Stefanie
    February 11, 2011 3:47 pm

When I read this piece this morning in the paper, my first thought was, “Man, I gotta see what That’s Church says about this!” David Conrad = Virginia Montanez in my head! That being said, awesome thoughts about the situation!

11. Bram R
    February 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks for highlighting this. I don’t click on the “Perspectives” tab with enough regularity to have caught it.

12. Carol
    February 12, 2011 2:28 am

That was a very good opinion piece…yes, he can definitely write. As much as I wish we could somehow keep the Igloo around, I’m afraid it’ll be destroyed sooner than we think. I wish progress didn’t usually mean destruction, that we could respect and improve on the builders of our past.
    (Insomnia is a pain.)

13. Kayaker
    February 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Loved the article, If that man didn’t already have a profession I’d swear he was gunning for a public office.
    He totally cares about the city and is very knowledgeable about many facets of community development.

Glad to see somebody use their voice to bring attention to a issue that will impact a lot of people as well as the city itself

14. Pingback: The Blog of Burgher Jon » Sauerkraut Sunday: The Bird Flue Edition

15. Anette
    February 20, 2011 7:42 pm

Please give him a hug and a peck on the cheek from me as well! And thank you for bringing him closer to us! ;) greetings from Istanbul, Turkey. Another city worth fighting for and definitely worth a visit, or two!

16. waltraud warwick
    January 19, 2012 9:14 pm

this is in response to braddock comment I came to the USA when I was 15years old Have been here over 50years I am still talking and bragging about my home town in germany and as the person from turkey has said I am brought of my city in germany named gelnhausen that was built in year 1190