I need an intervention

The first step to recovery is admitting you’ve got a problem and I have got a big problem. I AM the problem.

Call it optimism. Call it hope springing eternal and making me drink the hopey/changey Kool-Aid. Call it aiding and abetting and enabling.

I am excited for Pirates baseball.

The team that lost 105 games last season. The team that at some point in the last eighteen years stopped trying to be a winning team and instead became content to be a stepping stone to a winning team. The team that raised some ticket prices this year despite it all.

THAT team? Has me excited because they’re down there in Florida working out under a warm yellow sun with a still-perfect record for the 2011 baseball season.

I know. That kind of optimism is truly pathetic.

They smack me and they hurt me and they crush my dreams, and yet I come trotting back into their arms like a puppy that just took a newspaper to the nose and just wants to be loved.

Things I’m excited about:

1. Maybe Charlie Morton won’t suck so hard this year and can make the roster armed with his new perspective after his time in the Dominican, and show everyone that last year’s abject suck was a fluke.

Also, via Tall Cathy, check out Charlie on the guitar being all croony and sexy:

YouTube Preview Image

2. Joe Beimel = Wild Thing?:

3. It is very unlikely that the Pirates will lose MORE than 105 games this year. VERY unlikely. She writes with gross hopey/changey optimism.

4. Maybe we won’t let an opponent score 20 runs without scoring maybe ten or fifteen of our own.

5. Maybe we’ll beat the State College of Florida Manatees in a decisive fashion!

6. Opening day! Where if I don’t get drunk on hopey/changey, I can get drunk on beer.

In my defense, I’m not going so far as to say this is the year again, because look at the giant bite marks on my ass from last year.

But I hope it could be the year.

Maybe it will be the year.

[blink]

THIS IS THE YEAR!

Damn.

Which way to rehab?

1. HollyT
    February 14, 2011 3:34 pm

I too suffer from this same disease. I will join you in rehab.

2. inBrookline
    February 14, 2011 3:39 pm

Nutting still own the team?

Nope. Not the year.

3. BeauJacques
    February 14, 2011 3:44 pm

Step 1:

Admitted we were delusional, Nutting-family duped cash donors and our lives had become unmanageable.

4. TripleC
    February 14, 2011 3:46 pm

I had as close to zero hope for this season, but when they brought back the likes of Joe Beimel I officially threw the towel in. Just a sad joke.

Good for Beimel though, he’s somehow collected a MLB paycheck while going a combined 23-31 over the last ten years.

5. Leigh
    February 14, 2011 3:52 pm

So, I started reading this post and immediately thought to myself…no way, not reading this…scrolled down and saw that picture of Joe Beimel. I have no idea who he is, but for a brief moment I actually thought about checking out a Pirates game…

6. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    February 14, 2011 3:55 pm

I always believe that this year will be THE year. Can’t help myself. Go Bucs!

7. CrashJK
    February 14, 2011 4:13 pm

I’m in for a great season ! Gotta have some hope for Clint Hurdle and last years young core – Walker, Tabata, Alvarez & McCutchen..add in GI Jones and Super MEEK – I like this team….as I listen past the grave yard of starting pitchers…

Let’s Go Bucs ! (and Baby Pens! )

8. mfj
    February 14, 2011 4:14 pm

I’m especially hopeful, since I’ve been putting up Ross Ohlendorf numbers at work lately. Already planning what I’m going to do with all that extra money.

9. CrashJK
    February 14, 2011 4:14 pm

…damn that should be whistle past the graveyard of starting pitchers…ah, y’all knew that, right ?

10. CrashJK
    February 14, 2011 4:16 pm

When did Eddie Vedder sign on as a Pirates pitcher ?

Will he be our version of San Frans’ Brian “the beard” Wilson ??? We got Super MEEK…how about a closer from the dark side ???

11. jamie
    February 14, 2011 4:24 pm

i’ll see you all at rehab one day! i love my bucco boys despite the suctitude!

12. Lee
    February 14, 2011 4:30 pm

@leigh: scrolled down and saw that picture of Joe Beimel. I have no idea who he is, but for a brief moment I actually thought about checking out a Pirates game…

Seriously.

13. Aileen
    February 14, 2011 4:38 pm

Opening Day is an official, honest-to-goodness, I am taking the day off from work, holiday in my house.

This means if the Home Opener is not the same day as the Season Opener, there go 2 days.

14. #1 WI Steeler Fan
    February 14, 2011 4:43 pm

I think it is a natural reaction to see a sports team wearing the gold and black and I have to root for them. I think you get a special injection when you are born in a Pittsburgh hospital that lasts through your whole life, no matter what. I love the Pirates, Penquins and Steelers and am an ardent fan, year after year, losing season after losing season.

15. Lindsay
    February 14, 2011 4:50 pm

I think we’ll see you kiss a pigeon full on the lips before we see the buccos win.

just sayin…

16. YinzerInExile
    February 14, 2011 5:07 pm

I am *stoked* about the season! Hoping I can make it to some spring training given that relative proximity to Bradenton seems to be the only perk of temporarily residing in godforsaken Georgia.

February 14, 2011 5:18 pm

you.

all.

need.

help.

seriously.

for the love of roberto clemente.

18. PittinDC
    February 14, 2011 5:19 pm

My husband is a die hard Orioles fan, so we are going down to Spring Training to watch the O’s take on the Buccos. I do not have as much eternal optimism regarding the Buccos, so my main reason for going is the hope that it will be warm by March in Florida, because I am sick of being cold. But I’ll let you know if they look decent at all.. or at least if there are any new hot guys to root for :)

19. Pa-pop
    February 14, 2011 5:47 pm

My desktop PC wallpaper is a picture of Forbes Field taken from the uppermost deck behind home plate. It’s a hazy summer afternoon. The Longines clock atop the scoreboard in left says it’s 2:30. Most of the seats are full. The shadow of a light tower is creeping toward the batter’s box. Beyond the outfield wall is the Carnegie Museum, the iconic tower of CMU’s Hamerschlag Hall, and – in the distance – Schenley Park. One of the Bucs has just lifted a fly ball to right-center. The photo was taken in 1968 or earlier because there are ten teams listed on each side of the scoreboard. I would just love to bottle up whatever it is in that photo and pour it out all over PNC Park and restore that feeling of competitive baseball again.

20. Aileen
    February 14, 2011 6:15 pm

@PittinDC –

I went to see the Pirates play in Baltimore 3 years ago. Camden Yards is my favorite place to see the Bucs away from PNC Park. Great ballpark.

February 14, 2011 6:44 pm

Don’t wet your panties just yet. This team isn’t a WHOLE lot better (if at all) from last year, but it’ll be danged near impossible to be 57-105 two years in a row. So 65-70 wins sounds about right.

So … do I take from this that you’re going to the opener? Look for us in Section 131, I think it is — two sections to the left of the bleachers, right in front of the 475 Club, can I get a witness, spoon?

Look us up, we’ll buy you a REAL beer.

Actually, I was hoping against hope that maybe Las Velas would reopen by then, and we could do lunch there. Can you give us an update, Ginny?

22. BeauJacques
    February 14, 2011 6:52 pm

You people are sick, sick, sick!!!

You need to take every dollar, quarter, dime or nickel you would spend on gas, parking, over-priced food and beer, &
    tickets- all going into the evil Nutting family coffers-
    and:
    DONATE it to Virginia’s Make Room For Kids!!!

Even if someone GIVES you tix to that handsome toilet bowl, DON’T GO!! Sell them and donate the bucks!!

Nuttings= organized crime!! Don’t support it!!

23. cmd_45
    February 14, 2011 7:03 pm

Can I just remind you of your disappointment last year? Is it worth it?

24. Kathy
    February 14, 2011 7:07 pm

does this mean I get to lose another $5 to MRFKs?

Go Pirates!

25. debbiebear51
    February 14, 2011 10:42 pm

My hubby and I are gluttons for punishment…leaving March 5 for Fla. We have tickets to 13 (yes, that’s 13!) spring training games. Ever the eternal optimist, I hope we’re not depressed and breaking out the Zima by the end of May! Btw, Charlie Morton, WHO KNEW???? Hang in there, Ginny!

26. ShannonSharpe
    February 14, 2011 11:01 pm

Ginny, I love you but you are on crack!

February 15, 2011 2:11 am

BeauJacques,

Shush, baseball fans are talking.

28. BeauJacques
    February 15, 2011 3:12 am

I AM a baseball fan!!

Any true baseball fan should boycott EVERYTHING Nutting!!!

Starting with YOU Bucdaddy!!

You oughtta be ashamed of yourself!

29. BeauJacques

#BNMSwhores

32. BeauJacques
    February 15, 2011 3:22 am

OK, I’m shut off, nite.

33. spoon
    February 15, 2011 11:38 am

I think we need “That’s Church night at PNC Park”

burghbaby can wear her cinderella dress.

34. Dan (Not Onorato)
    February 15, 2011 12:03 pm

OK Ill say it….

“Theyre still sh*tty”

BUT…if they are even flirting with .500 ball in September…youre going to think that were playing in the playoffs…and yes…I’ll be rooting them on regardless

35. Tyler
    February 15, 2011 1:53 pm

I agree, I feel the same way too… Add me to the intervention list!!

36. davethecfre
    February 15, 2011 1:53 pm

1) When did Joe Beimel get his tatoo sleeve? He didn’t have it in his first go around w/the buccos. http://www.piratesprospects.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/579192.jpg.32715_crop_340x234-300×206.jpg

2) When the Pirates spend a little more time on instruction in the minor leagues they will then start to reap the benefits of teaching winners. Heck, they fired the mgr from their only minor league team with a winning record because of a difference of opinion. His opinion was that we should win…

3) Pirates will lose 109 this year. Bet on it.

4) There are kids graduating high school this year who haven’t been alive to see the Pirates with a winning record. ‘Nuff said.

February 15, 2011 10:22 pm

BeauJacques,

If you think the team under Nutting is operating the same way it did under McClatchy and you can’t see the differences then you’re not paying attention. Enjoy your summer.

38. BeauJacques
    February 15, 2011 10:55 pm

BucDaddy-

Stevie Wonder can see that it’s the SAME MILK’EM THIEVERY!!!

Passed by one thief to the next! Period!!

39. Pittsburgh Tom
    February 15, 2011 10:57 pm

I’m so into it this year, I bought season tickets. At the very least, it’ll be my first time to get to go to opening day in my 30+ years as a Pirates fan.