Random n’at.

1. I like to read the comments that go into my spam queue because it’s how I stumble upon awesome spam comments like this:

I am glad to be a visitant of this gross blog ! , thankyou for this rare information! .

You’re welcome, you disgusting piece of shit! Come again, before too soon!

2. THON is awesome because it’s for SICK KIDS, and this year Penn State students raised via THON over $9.5 million dollars.

With the reveal of this year’s fundraising total in the Bryce Jordan Center on Sunday afternoon — $9,563,016.09 — it seems there are no limits in sight for the Interfraternity Council/Panhellenic Dance Marathon and largest student-run philanthropy’s fight against pediatric cancer.

Cancer is such a bitch. Pediatric cancer is the mother bitch. This is a giant slap to the face of pediatric cancer. Awesome.

(h/t Lindsey)

3. Some of you have asked about donating games to the Make Room for Kids effort. I’m working on putting something together for you all. Perhaps a wish list or a list of which gaming systems we have that we could use games for. Sit tight and I promise to give you an outlet for donating what you’ve got.

Gracias!

4. Haiku master Will imagines what would happen if me and Burgh Baby’s mom took on Dee Thompson and Alby Oxenreiter.

Bring it on.

5. I like to think of flesh-eating bacteria as a fake thing — a funny thing we like to say but that doesn’t really exist. “East Kabumfuck.” “Rumplestiltskin.”  “Flesh-eating bacteria.”

I do not like to hear this about a Burgher:

In my opinion, I think Dr. McCormick saved his life,” said Robert Kang, the plastic surgeon who later would graft skin over gaping, muscle-deep wounds that covered both sides of Mr. Wise’s lower abdomen and groin.

Oh my God. You must read the whole article.

I am THIS CLOSE to Google Image searching for “flesh-eating bacteria” but I can’t bring myself to do it.

One of yinz do it and tell me how bad it is on a scale of 1 to Vomit. Thanks.

6. I’m not normally a tattoo, beard, long-hair kind of girl, but screw it. I am confirming that I want Joe Beimel to make the team this year.

I bet he’d be fun to watch.

From photo day down at Bradenton:

I mean, if we’re going to suck again this year, at least give us something fun to watch.

Related: Ryan Doumit’s alien eyes scare the bejeezus out of me.

Don’t stare at them too long. Bad things happen.

1. Holly
    February 21, 2011 4:48 pm

I shouldn’t have googled it…Easily a 10 on the vomit scale!

2. Maggie K
    February 21, 2011 4:49 pm

100x beyond vomit, don’t google the images

3. Betsy
    February 21, 2011 4:49 pm

#1 made me LOL. Spam comments are the best. And I met Ryan Doumit at McFaddens after one of the Yankee games a couple years ago. He was very nice – the eyes are much less alien-like in person. That photo looks like someone got their hands on some bright white under eye concealer and had a field day.

4. Sarah
    February 21, 2011 4:49 pm

Ginny, looked up the flesh eating bacteria images. I’m not a fan of disgusting images, and I didn’t think the google images were too terribly horrific. On a scale of 1 to Vomit, I’d say that it’s on the lower end. Hope that helps!

5. CrashJK
    February 21, 2011 4:53 pm

Doumit should have been traded for a slushy machine and a hot dog cart during the off season – he’s a waste of money and a roster spot imho…It would be fun to see Beimel make the team…maybe he’s slightly off center like San Fran’s Brian “the beard” Wilson…would be cool to have a dark character on the Bucs !

Let’s GO BABY PENS and crew – Destroy Ovie the douche tonight !!!!

6. Heather
    February 21, 2011 5:05 pm

I hate that I’m sorta wanting to google flesh-eating bacteria right now. Especially since I need to start dinner.

7. Butcher's Dog
    February 21, 2011 5:16 pm

Bucs get even better as soon as Doumit goes to another team or the NL adopts the DH rule, which I hate. There’s just no place for him to play in the field where he won’t kill us. In a quote once attributed to Pete Rose: “The white rat [meaning the ball] will find you.” And when he’s out there, it does.

8. Tracy
    February 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Joe=Hawt. I’d throw cash out the window to watch him play.

9. Michelle
    February 21, 2011 6:27 pm

THON is awesome. It’s a personal goal of mine to make it up there one of these years… One of my really good friends spoke on Sunday during family hour (he has stage 4 cancer). It’s a brilliant cause, and it makes me feel so good to see so many people come together to raise so much money to help people like Nick (through amazing things like the Four Diamonds fund).

10. Noelle
    February 21, 2011 6:28 pm

Not a “long hair kind of girl”? Shut the Front Door! Chris LeTang? Hello?

11. RedInDaBurgh
    February 21, 2011 6:38 pm

Ginny, I work in the microbiology field and have attended seminars with graphic pictures of necrotizing fasciitis. I still cringe every time. Worst is when you ask yourself “what part of the anatomy is that?”, then figure it out. In the name of all that is holy, don’t look those pics up! Because if you’re just a wee bit squeamish, it won’t turn out well.

12. Aileen
    February 21, 2011 7:41 pm

When I look at that picture of Joe Beimel, that’s what I picture John Belushi would have looked like if he played baseball.

February 21, 2011 9:35 pm

When’s Doumit’s baby due?

14. Cassie
    February 21, 2011 9:43 pm

I’ve packed wounds that were grosser than that. Can we say re-opened c-section? YUM! Being a nurse is AWESOME sometimes.

Google stage four decubitus. That, in a nutshell, is what I get to play with on a daily basis. Woo!

15. Aileen
    February 21, 2011 10:14 pm

Bucdaddy:

Don’t you mean Pedro Alvarez? I haven’t seen photos, but I’ve been reading that he looked to be abour 240 when he reported to camp.

Maybe he thought he was going to Steeler training camp.

16. Dave White
    February 22, 2011 9:49 am

Oh, thank god I’m not the only person creeped out by Doumit’s creepy eyes. For some reason he always reminds me of the Faces of Belmez.

17. Burgh Bird
    February 22, 2011 10:24 am

Please compare and contrast Doumit’s alien eyes to Brooks Orpik’s crazy psycho-killer eyes.

18. Erin
    February 22, 2011 10:38 am

Oh Cassie, why did you tempt me to look up c-sections? Oh dear. Let me say a resounding Thank God now that my incision didn’t become infected. Whew.

February 22, 2011 10:58 am

you too would look like doumit if you lost your everyday catching job to a guy who barely hits over the mendoza line and goes through every day hoping to dear God above that the succos trade him. or, shoot him. whatever.

20. hello haha narf
    February 22, 2011 11:05 am

DO NOT GOOGLE IMAGES OF IT. i actually had that flesh eating bacteria. anything called necrotizing fasciitis is gonna be a bitch, and it was. fortunately they caught it way early and after uncountable bags of iv penicillin and antibiotic cocktails got it under control. but lemme tell you, when you hear “amputate” in regards to your arm, it is enough to blow your mind. SUCKS!
    (thank god for my excellent doctors who didn’t have to amputate anything and won the war against the evil infection.)

21. YinzerInExile
    February 22, 2011 11:44 am

I have long thought that if Doumit (with too much iris) and Mendy (with not quite enough–even though he’s adorable) got together they could share irises and come out a normally-iris-ed person. But then I’d be fearful that Doumit’s intense suck would rub off on Mendy and, seeing as how (as I mentioned) he’s a cutie anyway, I just think we’d be better off to send Doumit away forever.

Also WHY IS HE STILL A PIRATE??!?!?!??????

February 22, 2011 11:58 am

He’s still a Pirate because …

a) He can’t hit (much)

b) He can’t catch

c) He can’t play first base

d) He can’t play right field

e) He’s under contract for this year

f) That contract is too large for anyone to take it off our hands considering a, b, c and d, and yet …

g) He’s not bad enough (despite a, b, c and d) to just eat that contract.

h) The Pirates need a backup catcher anyway.

i) Unlike in the football world, where a contract is a contract only as long as management wants you around, baseball players get paid whether they make the team or they’re playing golf all summer.

23. Aileen
    February 22, 2011 12:20 pm

@Bird Burgh – you beat me to it. I was going to say the only remedy for Doumit eyes was to take a shot of Orpik.

24. Cathy
    February 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Now in defense of the OH SO SEXY Orpik, you are allowed to have crazy psycho eyes…if you are an asset to your team. And his psycho eyes go with the whole “I will hit you very hard and laugh while you try to figure out what arena you are in”. People are scared to see his eyes honing in on them.

Doumit just looks crazy, no real reason to either. It’s not like he scares runners into not stealing bases or scares the ball into sailing over the outfield wall.

Mmmmm Orpik…Free Candy anyone?

25. empirechick
    February 22, 2011 1:34 pm

Ah, baseball – a sport where a below mediocre player can make $3M, while hockey’s BEST player makes $8.7M. Hard to imagine why the Pirates can’t compete – salary cap, anyone?

26. Joe K.
    February 22, 2011 1:48 pm

Baseball. It’s like nobody thinks the Pens are going to be in the playoffs. . .

February 22, 2011 2:54 pm

They will, but not for long.