Reaching for the stars.

And I say that as the unofficial driver of the bandwagon.

February 21, 2011 12:14 pm

This post is the equivalent of throwing five pounds of fresh ground beef into BeauJacques’ cage. You knew that when you wrote it, right? And you wrote it anyway. Did you give him a heads-up before you wrote it so he could have 20 anti-Nutting poo piles stacked up beside the PC to fling at fans like me all day?

*sigh*

I’ll come back later in the week, once all his ammunition is (momentarily) spent.

2. Aileen
    February 21, 2011 12:18 pm

I understand, Mr Nutting.

My question to you is: have you sold the club to the Rooneys or to Lemieux Group?

If so, I would then possess legitmate hope, instead of the annual spring time hope that I have that causes friends and colleagues to wonder if I need to committed to Torrance State Hospital.

As a matter of public service to my fellow Pirate fans out there, Mayview is no longer accepting patients. It’s closed – even to us.

3. G-Man
    February 21, 2011 12:25 pm

Fear not! The 18-year string of losing seasons and the 31 year drought since the last NL championship will end this year. If for no other reason than the team has bought new bright yellow (read: Bumble Bee) spring training/batting practice jerseys. Rumor has it that’s the only money Nutting will spend this year.

February 21, 2011 12:36 pm

good luck with that.

5. Joe K.
    February 21, 2011 1:28 pm

THIS IS THE YEAR!

Hah.

6. spoon
    February 21, 2011 1:30 pm

Bob needs to go talk Dr Leo Marvin.

baby steps bob, baby step

7. Paul
    February 21, 2011 1:35 pm

It would be very very hard to hear Nutting, he who spends almost nothing on player salary, say stuff like this. As if the Pirate’s biggest problem the past 18 years has just been a lack of effort. What a joke.

8. fone guy stan
    February 21, 2011 1:39 pm

OK unofficial driver of the bandwagon, save a spot for me. Here’s why. I know a business owner who is not very busy lately because of the recession. He told me the other day that his phone is gonna’ start ringing. Odds are in his favor that his business will pick up. It’s the only direction it can go! Great positive attitude. With that way of thinking, The Pirates have been down for so long, the only way they can go is up right? Anybody?…I know, we’ll see at mid season.

9. Duncan
    February 21, 2011 1:46 pm

Give me a break! That is SO much BS! Why doesn’t anyone have the stones to call him on it? Driver of the bandwagon? What have you been inhaling? The only place your bandwagon is going it to last place – AGAIN! Give me a reason to give a sh!& and I will consider giving them a second look – but only if they are playing 500 ball at the all-star break.

10. HorseShoeBend
    February 21, 2011 2:03 pm

He said “it’s not going to be a year where small bits of incremental progress are adequate.” (Note small bits part.) Jen Langosch http://bucsbits.mlblogs.com/ (is that what h/t is used for?) She’s great also.

Many, many, more “small bits” he spews much to our chagrin in that read. He is mediaorically a debacle – the poor man. The talking points this year to summarize and energize us all then are : Well I’m not sure really – small bits of something and I’ll just go with this quote from same interview from same babble session: “Our current payroll is more a reflection of the players we have than a reflection of a limitation that is put on [GM Neal Huntington]” Really? This needed further clarification? But again -poor dude. It is a challenge and you know they did plan/rehearse all of this for weeks so let them just get it over with. K. Not much longer.

Anyway…..How about we go with:

talk is cheap – let’s play ball

for bandwagon slogan this year.

11. JennyMoon
    February 21, 2011 2:17 pm

OMG bucdaddy that was so awesomely funny!

12. Butcher's Dog
    February 21, 2011 2:30 pm

@Duncan: we’ll save you a big ol’ slice of crow for later on. They’re better because, well, they’re better. Hurdle has more fire than Russell, McCutcheon in his second full year, Walker set at a position (plus he gets to work with Maz in spring training), Pedro and Tabita both have a handle on big-league life, and with the exception of Maholm all the soft-toss lefties are gone. Two burners for closer spot in the bullpen. They are better and will continue to become even more so.

And those who want more money spent on salaries: Does “Derek Bell” mean anything to you? Money needs to be thrown at the right people, for one thing. And the right people aren’t coming here until we show we have a chance to win. That happens this year.

Finally…BeauJacques? De-caf for awhile, please. None of us want to log on to find a note from BelleJacques (which would be Mrs. BJ, right?) that you hit the front of the checkout line while in the midst of an entry.

13. Joe K.
    February 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Looks like Butcher’s Dog got his CDL to be the official driver of the bandwagon!

14. Rich D
    February 21, 2011 4:14 pm

I drew my line in the sand back in 2006. I won’t go to another Pirate game until they’ve recorded 82 wins in a season.

15. Butcher's Dog
    February 21, 2011 5:10 pm

@Joe K: Nah…Ginny drives the wagon hands down. She’s jumped out front and then face-planted enough that she deserves the driver’s seat and the giant airbag. Still, all you have to do is look at what’s there now instead of what was there last year at this time to know they’re better. And I’m stickin’ to my story: worst to first in two years.

And…anyone who doesn’t think it’s possible, please read Colleen Hroncich’s book: The Whistling Irishman: Danny Murtaugh Memories. She’s his grandaughter and what happened in 1960 wasn’t predicted by anyone, either.

February 21, 2011 7:43 pm

who cares about “fire”? (other than setting the pirates on fire?)

the key for the succos: spending money wisely.

and, spending it on talent.

I’m trying to stop laughing…..

17. Woody
    February 22, 2011 2:44 pm

That’s the equivalent of telling your five-year-old child to stay in his room until he gets a 1600 on his SAT’s.