Commence with the freaking out.

You may have heard the rumors that Dark Knight is set to film a good number of scenes in Pittsburgh this summer, but they’ve been just that, rumors.

You have one man to thank for this tidbit of info being picked up by the local media, the owner of the ScareHouse, Scott Simmons who picked it up via an item in the Hollywood Reporter. But the Reporter article wasn’t very clear and Scott himself was all, “Wait. I can’t tell, but does this mean Dark Knight is filming in Pittsburgh?!”

People didn’t care if it was true or not. After Scott found the article, twitter went nuts and then the local media went nuts reporting the rumor with headlines like “Dark Knight to film in Pittsburgh?”

I emailed the film office, like others did, but was given no confirmation. More of a “we’ll see!” So I decided to wait and see. I didn’t want to be all SQUEEE only to have my squeee viciously popped. Sad squeee. Worse than a sad trombone.

Then came news that Corbett froze the Film Tax Credits until the budget is complete next month and Nancy Mosser casting said this:

FILM FRIENDS FRIENDS WHO WANT FILM TO CONTINUE IN PITTSBURGH: Yesterday they announced the next BATMAN movie will film in Pittsburgh. This movie is coming because of the PA Film Tax Credit. This is the only tax program in PA that costs us nothing & brings in a ton of money.

TODAY we got news that Corbett put a freeze on the tax credit until after the budget is finalized next month. The producers of Batman and 2 other movies have all said if the money is not released they WILL go elsewhere and Pittsburgh will lose an astronomical amount of money.

Call, write or email your representative and the Governor & tell them to release the tax credit so we have work & BATMAN!!

But even then, Batman was still just a rumor, so I again went to the Film Office armed with the Nancy Mosser info and still nothing was confirmed.  So I kept quiet. Waiting. And hoping.

Now Scott posts this picture on his twitter account, taken February 18 and “we’ll see” has basically become “SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE?!”

Director Christopher Nolan spotted on Smithfield.

It’s still not confirmed by the Film Office or Warner Brothers and the tax credit thing still might come into play, but for now …

Holy superhero. Batman. Pittsburgh.

To the Stalkermobile!

1. CrashJK
    February 22, 2011 2:02 pm

What ? No snowmageddon post ? I got stories !!!

Batman…meh….I’m all about IronMan, Cap America and THOR !!!! Oh yeah baby – chicks dig that hammer….

2. Baba Wawa
    February 22, 2011 2:06 pm

mmmm..wiener world

3. Pam_Wow
    February 22, 2011 2:06 pm

This picture can’t possibly be from today, can it? There’s no snow. No boots. No sunshine melting puddles and puddles of slush. Blue Shirt Dude isn’t even wearing a coat.

But it’s still a picture of Nolan in the Burgh. I’m hopeful this is a good sign that Batman is coming to the Steel City.

4. Aileen
    February 22, 2011 2:11 pm

I have a question – and I’m not trying to be funny. Maybe someone can fill in the part that I’m not getting. .

I thought Republicans were in favor of tax credits and tax abatements, less taxes, etc. – because it is a means to stimulate business. And, Tom Corbett is a Republican, right?

So what am I missing? Doesn’t this position fly in the face of what is a traditional Republican position when it comes to taxes?

5. Pa-Pop
    February 22, 2011 2:11 pm

Audio at Smithfield location revealed an intense discussion of what to get at Weiner World.

6. ajm
    February 22, 2011 2:18 pm

@pam_wow– you’re right. No way is that pic from today. Props for mad observation skillz.

7. Pingback: Tweets that mention That's Church » Commence with the freaking out. -- Topsy.com

8. Derp
    February 22, 2011 2:24 pm

You forgot that the GOP hates Hollywood.

9. Derp
    February 22, 2011 2:25 pm

That was supposed to have an @Aileen, but I put that in the website address. Whoops. :o

10. amy
    February 22, 2011 2:30 pm

I was just going to say…then I saw Pam_Wow beat me to it. That pic isn’t from today, especially after just driving through downtown. Last week? Perhaps. I hope so!

11. ScareHouse Scott
    February 22, 2011 2:35 pm

I just sent a message to Justin to find out when he took the photo – I’ll update when I hear back from him

12. elysianfantasy
    February 22, 2011 2:36 pm

@Aileen, you beat me to it. I don’t want to get political, but I just hope the governor thinks about how many millions of dollars will be spent in this state keeping many businesses afloat. The more we can attract high profile entities like this to our city, our public perception increases, which would not only mean more industries setting up stakes here, but more jobs and more people moving to the city. And I for one, would like the opportunity to hone my celebrity stalk…I mean spotting skills. :)

13. rose
    February 22, 2011 2:44 pm

i believe the report on kdka (tv) said the pic was taken last friday.

14. CrashJK
    February 22, 2011 2:49 pm

@Derp – I think more appropriately Hollywood and it’s “ilk” hate the GOP…Bruce Willis and Mel Gibson not included in said “ilk”….

15. ScareHouse Scott
    February 22, 2011 2:52 pm

Rose is right – the photo was taken last Friday on February 18th. Sorry bout the confusion.

16. pghredhead
    February 22, 2011 3:07 pm

Not sure what Michigan’s previous film credit entailed. But I read this article yesterday in the Detroit Free Press. A new proposal by Michigan’s governor is driving The Avengers shoot out of Detroit. Maybe @CrashJK will get his Iron Man and Cap wish after all.

17. Sara
    February 22, 2011 3:08 pm

Squee indeed! I saw a news item on the tax thing last night and it was enough to irk me WITHOUT Batman being in play. I have no idea why every few years they go after this when it’s clear that those incentives have done nothing but brings tons of business to the region. I mean, we have movie crew people that can now afford to make a career out of movie work while living and raising kids in this region because there’s enough work for them. Shouldn’t that be enough? Aren’t JOBS tantamount these days?

18. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    February 22, 2011 3:45 pm

Notwithstanding the whole issue of whether the Governor has frozen (or even can freeze) the current year’s available credits, I heard that the production might be having difficulty meeting the cost threshold to even qualify for the tax credit. The production has to show that a certain percentage of the overall budget will be spent in PA, and with the multiple locations and Pittsburgh not being a primary location for filming, that’s not a given. I checked with a friend at DCED and they were directed not to process any applications until after the March 8th budget address.

19. Just A Simple Man
    February 22, 2011 3:54 pm

Gotta love Tom Corporate. Good way to stimulate the economy Tom.

20. Pingback: Christopher Nolan Spotted Downtown, Shoveling Snow? in Boring Pittsburgh

21. ReadingComprehension
    February 22, 2011 4:22 pm

“Now Scott posts this picture on his twitter account, taken FEBRUARY 18 and “we’ll see” has basically become “SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE?!”” (emphasis added).

22. Pam_Wow
    February 22, 2011 4:37 pm

@ReadingComprehension: The sentence you quoted has been edited since the post was originally published. The post originally stated that the photograph was taken TODAY by a ScareHouse actor/AIP student. [Emphasis added.] But it’s all been cleared up now, as you can see by your excellent reading comprehension skills.

23. Al Lambrini
    February 22, 2011 5:19 pm

granting tax breaks to an industry that has a proven record of shopping around for best deal without any commitment to stay here or anywhere else(1980s-90s), while forcing other businesses who have been here for years/decades to carry the load seems a little ass backwards to me.

24. Just A Simple Man
    February 22, 2011 5:29 pm

@Al Your point speaks to the majority of the business ventures in this country today not just the film industry. Not much “commitment” in the business climate these days I’m afraid.

25. Al Lambrini
    February 22, 2011 5:41 pm

i’m still here were my tax break

26. Butcher's Dog
    February 22, 2011 8:13 pm

Anyone who uses [insert any politician’s name] and “think” in the same sentence got here from a planet with a different colored sky than the one we’re lookin’ at. Just sayin’.

27. Carpetbagger
    February 23, 2011 12:00 pm

Can the villain be Mr. Cheesehead? Or The Raven?

28. DG
    February 23, 2011 12:35 pm

I’m pretty sure I walked past those dudes on Friday and my only thought at the time was “nice job blocking the entire sidewalk, jagoffs.” Glad I didn’t say it out loud.

29. Scott
    February 24, 2011 3:16 pm

I might have to call off work all spring and summer if they film Batman here! Such a big fan of superhero movies! That said, this summer is going to ROCK for movies…Cars 2, Transformers, Harry Potter, X-Men, Green Lantern, Thor, and Captain America!! WOW!