Dropping name.

Not surprising to me, Pittsburgh was once again named the Most Livable City by the Economist Intelligence Unit, and by extension, the highest rated US city in the list of the World’s Most Livable Cities.

I don’t need to do the BOOYAH! or the BAM! or the Hoorah! or the YOU SUCK YOU SUCK YOU SUCK YOU SUCK, PITTSBURGH RULES! thing because it’s been done.

I’ll leave my gloating for those private times that I’m driving through, say, Cleveland, at which time I will roll down my window and fart into the wind. The word you are searching for is “classy.”

The only thing I want to say about this is this, and I’ve told you this before: When I had lunch with David Conrad that one time …

BOOM! goes the dropped name.

Watch your head because here comes another one … DAVID CONRAD.

What? Is there some rule that you can only use each name once when dropping them?

Anyway, we talked about Burghers who don’t see the opportunities they have in Pittsburgh and how it baffles us.

I personally don’t understand how people can find the city boring or lacking in opportunities to build a rich and fulfilled life here.

Don’t get me wrong. I understand the challenges one might face especially in the job hunt, but any city, whether it’s Pittsburgh or Phoenix or [gag] Philadelphia, becomes what you make of it for yourself, and what being “Most Livable” means is that despite its faults, it’s easier to make something of it in Pittsburgh than it is most other places in the world.

I love that.

I hope you do too.

If not, I have a pair of “PittGirl Cult of Personality Rose-Colored Glasses” you can borrow, but you have to give them back before the Pirates home opener.

1. Cassie
    February 23, 2011 1:31 pm

Not only all of the above, but where else can you live 15 minutes from the city and still pay less than 200K for a house? A decent house? Mine is 10 years old.

Answer me that.

I love Pittsburgh.

2. Noelle
    February 23, 2011 1:34 pm

I hear ya girl but we GOTTA get the port authority thing under control. Sigh….

3. Clair
    February 23, 2011 1:41 pm

just makes me wanna move back home more. And hubby would rather move to Pittsburgh than back to his home of Tucson, or so he has said. Maybe some day hubs will be able to find a good job in his field (IT)up there and we can achieve that dream. HAHA. after all, my son does want to go play football for Pitt…he graduates in 2017 LOL. I have 6 years! HAHA.

4. Joe K.
    February 23, 2011 1:45 pm

Except for going to the beach, for recreation & culture you can do nearly anything you want in Pittsburgh, and yes, the weather usually isn’t that bad for it. You touched on the job market, and that’s the big thing. I know a lot of people that had to move for jobs, my brother, for example, graduated college in 1984 right with the collapse of steel. IMO the private sector job market just sucks around here, I see a lot of places that seem to think in terms of hanging on rather than expanding.

I also have trouble reconciling these most-livable rankings with stuff like the city pension crisis and the fact that state oversees city government, maybe those things aren’t considered in the rankings.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot to like here (even the weather!), but there can be monumental frustration with finding a career.

5. Joe K.
    February 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Just as an example of the job market, I have the job I have now because someone died. Prior to that I was cutting grass at a cemetery and prior to that I was collecting unemployment for an undisclosed number of months.

6. Sheepthemoon
    February 23, 2011 2:17 pm

Even though I moved back to the ‘burgh 11 years ago, I STILL get people telling me “I can’t believe you left Ft. Lauderdale to come back HERE.”

I try and tell people something like this … putting down your roots is a lot like choosing a mate: You understand that everyone has flaws, it’s just a matter of whether an individual’s flaws are acceptable to you or not.

Yes, the city/area/state has its problems. So does everywhere else. If you find Utopia … you know, that place where the weather is perfect all the time, jobs are plentiful, there are no taxes, beer and pizza are available (for free) on every corner and you get to ride non-CO2 emitting unicorns to work daily … then please, let me know where it is. I want to go, too.

In the meantime, I’ll stay right where I’m at, cause I love this area … lumps and all.

7. PittStudent
    February 23, 2011 2:26 pm

I never understand the students who complain about the lack of things to do in Pittsburgh. They are idiots (and mostly from Philadelphia suburbs!).

I have spent the past four years falling in love with this city. I am leaving in the fall for graduate school elsewhere, but plan on moving back as soon as possible. If the Port Authority dies this slow, painful death, though, I think that Pittsburgh would stop being so livable for me.

8. Steverino
    February 23, 2011 4:05 pm

Lived here for thirty years and love every minute of it. It’s big enough so you can be anonymous but small enough where you can be invited over for Sunday dinner. Top notch arts and culture, diversity getting better all the time, improving and varied economy, and high quality of life. Plus the natural beauty of the setting is a big plus. I keep running into more and more people who have moved here from someplace else.

I’m not at all surprised we’re the 29th most livable IN THE WORLD!

9. SpudMom
    February 23, 2011 4:11 pm

I post this same thing almost every time this subject comes up – I moved here 10 years ago from the Detroit area because my husband (then fiance) was born and raised here, worked here, and had the (far) better of our two jobs.

I fell in love with Pittsburgh the very first time I visited. I love it here and I don’t want to leave.

10. PensFan024
    February 23, 2011 4:22 pm

When people say there is nothing to do in Pittsburgh it can be translated to this:

There aren’t enough trendy meat market night clubs where I can get drunk and do things that I may or may not regret in 10 years but would never do when I am sober.

If you’re into non drinking fun there is plenty to do and it’s almost always affordable or free. If you live in the suburbs you are only 15 minutes at most from the city and 45 minutes at most from the country. If you can’t find something to do you’re not looking.

11. Steverino
    February 23, 2011 4:50 pm

Really, you could be busy every night of the week if you wanted to be. And there are more than enough organizations (professional and social) to keep you busy.

12. TB
    February 23, 2011 5:09 pm

I moved here a year ago and love it, but Pittsburgh has two serious problems: One is the PAT situation. The high cost of service combined with its unreliability is a major issue for the city. There is no way Pgh deserves to be a ‘best place to live’ when it cannot provide low-cost, dependable, and affordable public transit to its citizens. If I am paying $5 round trip to get to work each day and I may or may not actually get there or back home on-time, it isn’t that great of a deal. This isn’t even considering the environmental benefits of mass transit for a city that prides itself on going green.

Second is the library situation. I voluntarily pay for my library card and will happily continue to do so, but it shouldn’t be this way. Libraries are a necessity (much like public transit) to any city being given high quality of life honors.

I love Pittsburgh, but these two issues break my heart.

13. SpudMom
    February 23, 2011 5:58 pm

TB – who makes you pay for a library card?! The Carnegie Libraries don’t and I have a card for the library association of allegheny county (which covers many suburban libraries) and it was completely free.

14. Butcher's Dog
    February 23, 2011 6:30 pm

@sheepthemoon: I was told a long time ago that “Utopia” translates literally to “No Place”. Just sayin’.

15. Kristin
    February 23, 2011 8:06 pm

@TB: are you talking about the DonorPlus card at CLPGH? That’s completely optional if you want to help fund the library system. You can still get a free “Classic” card with proof of Allegheny County residency that allows you to take out all the books you want.

16. BeauJacques
    February 23, 2011 8:44 pm

@SpudMom- Hey! Don’t mess up my library card fee scam on newbies!!

17. cmd_45
    February 23, 2011 9:12 pm

@TB- How far do you have to go on the bus? Depending on the distance, parking and traffic, $5 could be a bargain. Could be less than running a car.

18. Will C
    February 24, 2011 12:11 am

You know, I don’t really get the people I hear moan about there being no jobs or nothing to do in Pittsburgh. I am constantly having fun in this city, enjoying great times with my friends. There are tons of jobs here if you are in the right fields. I will agree there isn’t much in the way of manual labor, and if that is your specialization you are probably hurting and can smack me over the moaning comment.

But you know, if you went to college, worked hard, got good grades, got your degree, there is likely a job for you. It may not pay gazillions, but there is one that puts food on the table and a roof over your head.

I’m not a natural born ‘Burgher. I was born and raised in East Tennessee. I went to the University of Tennessee and my neighbor across the hall was from Pittsburgh. I made fun of his dirty burned out Steel City for over a year and he always told me I was dead wrong. Then his mother was sick, and without a car, he needed a ride. He had become a loyal friend and I offered to drive him up here. He brought me through the Fort Pitt Tunnel and I’ve not had one dirty word to say about the city since.

He graduated a year before me and kindly helped with distributing my resume in Pittsburgh. I didn’t expect many response from Pittsburgh, but I got more calls for interviews from Pittsburgh than I did Charlotte or Atlanta, in fact I got a ton more. I thank my lucky stars for picking Pittsburgh. With the financial collapse, I would be without a job if I had chosen Charlotte. I would still be stuck in six lanes of gridlock traffic if I had chosen Atlanta. I chose Pittsburgh and I will never regret it, EVER.

February 24, 2011 2:17 am

Jeff Reed says that’s bullpucky.

20. BS
    February 24, 2011 11:30 am

@Clair,

FYI, I just went to Monster and searched “IT” and “Pittsburgh, PA.” There were 1000 jobs posted in the last 60 days.

(I’m with Will C. on the “not getting the people who moan about the lack of jobs” here.)

February 24, 2011 12:36 pm

Is there a link to the rankings? I want to see if Roanoke, Va., where I used to live, is still at or near the bottom.

I’ve lived in cities at both ends of the ratings (the town I live in now was once rated in the top 3 small cities in America) and had good times in all, so my conclusion is you make your own fun and are responsible for your own entertainment, health and well-being wherever you are.

22. Christy
    February 24, 2011 1:05 pm

So true. My family is from Pittsburgh but I grew up in Somerset (groan)… as soon as I finished college I knew where I wanted to be: Pittsburgh. Thankfully with a few strokes of luck, I found a house and a job. I’ve never been happier. I LOVE MY CITY!! I don’t understand the people that don’t take advantage of all this city has to offer. I may live here but you can still find me visiting the museums, snapping touristy photos at the Point and just generally being HAPPY with this Pittsburgh life!

23. LisaB
    February 24, 2011 5:53 pm

Question: if you do the classy thing and fart into the wind in Cleveland…would they even notice?

(On second thought, they might…it would smell like perfume to them.)

Gleefully gloating at my Cleveland friends…

24. Lauren
    February 25, 2011 11:21 am

I think sometimes it’s easy to take for granted how much Pittsburgh has to offer, especially if you grew up there like me. Then you move to El Paso, and realize how good you had it : )