Fight for your right to suck.

Image from the front of the Post-Gazette’s website:

I’m missing some context here, aren’t I?

1. JennyMoon
    February 26, 2011 2:21 pm

Honorable mentions for unsatisfied and angrymongo. (double woot!)

2. BuaeJacques
    February 26, 2011 10:54 pm

@Jenny-

Just tryin’ to call ’em like I see ’em!

(What are you wearing right now???)

3. don
    February 26, 2011 11:09 pm

Public service unions are a complete waste of tax dollars. What we are seeing in WI is another example of taxation without representation. The democrat party cut and ran rather than solve a problem. Broke is a word liberals just don’t get. They can throw money at problems but positive results are rarely achieved.

4. kevin
    February 26, 2011 11:15 pm

Union employees always have the option of looking for work elsewhere . This thug mentality of yelling, waving childish signs and calling an elected official a union buster because he is trying to balance his budget is insanity. Yea, balance the budget, but don’t touch my benefits, nice try. Tell that to the guy who is struggling to pay his mortgage and feed his kids while his taxes increase to pay these people who feel entitled. Thing is any of these union workers can leave and go elsewhere and someone will love to step in and take that job. You really feel that strongly you are getting hosed? Work elsewhere.

5. Barb
    February 27, 2011 2:15 pm

I am a public employee, member of SEIU. I have a Masters in Social work, and have been working at OCYF for many years. I contribute to my pension and my healthcare. I do not make very much money but I love my job.
    Corporate America does not want a middle class. I believe that soon we will have only minimum wage jobs, with no benefits or very high paid jobs for the wealthy. Yeah, let’s stick it to the teachers, social workers and government employees. Remember that we are not the folks who forced a government bailout of the banks and the mortgage industry.

6. Butcher's Dog
    February 27, 2011 7:08 pm

@Barb: Sounds like Church to me!

7. northside15212
    February 27, 2011 10:28 pm

“Waiting for Superman,” a very interesting movie and highly recommended. It contemplates much of what has been discussed in this thread.

8. POLITICALPARTYPOOPER
    February 28, 2011 8:57 am

Holy Crap. 100 comments on this issue? That’s crazy.

Living in Wisconsin, I decided it’s my responsibility to bring some perspective to this debate. First, Madison is not the only city in Wisconsin, but it is the craziest. It’s filled with people who are part of the machinery that runs State government, and most of those people have never held a private sector job; they’ve been recycled repeatedly from department to department and job to job. If you are an “outsider” trying to get one of these jobs, good luck…they usually go to family members or someone with a connection. That’s our democratic process at its finest.

Contrary to the media’s opinion, Wisconsin’s public unions are comprised of more than just teachers. But mistreating teachers sells ads, and so the media have decided that Wisconsin’s teachers are being burned at the stake even as protesters watch, from a small distance, horrified. It’s a great story. Someone will win a Pulitzer; guaranteed. The photos should be outstanding.

I can also say, and I am sure you are grateful to me for this, that the rest of Wisconsin is not burning. I live in Two Rivers, which is 3 hours away as the pigeon flies (sorry Ginny, in Wisconsin, we shoot crows, so we’ve never really seen one fly in a straight line). My town has held no protests that I am aware of. Being one of the several townspeople who doesn’t live in his mother’s basement, I feel secure in saying that if there had been a protest here, I would have known. Now if you want to protest something real, for instance, like why my heating bill went up 25% this year after my gas company claimed that their prices are 35% lower this year over last, then we’ve got something to talk to talk about.

Life goes on in Wisconsin pretty much as usual, and while I am sure that the crowds in Madison want the rest of our country to think that all of Wisconsin is ablaze, I am here to report that if it were, we’d all be celebrating the early warmer weather. It’s 12 degrees this morning, and I live right next to Lake Michigan. Wisconsin is as cold and boring today as it was three weeks ago.

Back to you, Virginia.