Random n’at.

1. My dog died today.

So if I look like my dog died, you know why.

She was old and had tumors and we had to have her put to sleep.  Our other dog, her brother, is NOT. HAPPY.

I expect retaliatory indoor defecation soon.

2.  I finally visited the Pittsburgh Public Market in the Strip this weekend, and I cannot encourage you enough to check it out. I’ll be writing more about it in Pittsburgh Magazine via my column, but I wanted to share this awesome artist that sells there.

These are called Christopher’s Collages.

Far away you see Mike Tomlin exuding badassitude at you:

Close up, you see Heinz Field, Steely McBeam, the city skyline, Santonio Holme’ making his famous catch, the Lombardi and more.

Do you see Waldo? I’m pretty sure I see Waldo. Srsly. Right there.

It’s so fun to grab a magnifying glass and see what you can find in there.  He has all the Pittsburgh sports covered via his collages and even WVU.

While looking at the Penn State collage, I found a tiny little area where he had scribbled, “I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DRAW HERE.”

[In the voice of Candace on Phineas and Ferb] Busted.

Love these. Check them out at Pittsburgh Public Market or right here at the website where you can zoom in on any picture.

3. Big news regarding this year’s Dancing With the Pittsburgh Celebrities event. I’ll be dancing!!!!

Yeah, no. Could you imagine? [shudder]

The big news is that Jamie and Ali’s Haitian Orphan Rescue is one of the four charities that the evening will benefit.

Some celebrities for the event are:

• Jim Krenn’s wife Hedy (People, she is gorgeous. Wowza.)
  • Dennis Bowman
  • Marci Cipriani
  • That freaky guy from the ScareHouse. Not the bunny. The other one.
  • Rashard Mendenhall, who has got to be thinking “What’s Hines got that I don’t?!”

A great fun way to support Haitian Orphan Rescue and to maybe see Rashard Mendenhall wear a deep V-neck shirt. We can hope.

You can buy sponsorships, tables, or tickets. See here!

You never know what you’ll see. Last year, you saw Julie Bologna and you saw that she has a pretty bangin’ bod.

4. Thanks to Burgher Tyler Kozar winning a contest, one million Pop-Tarts are going to be delivered to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh tomorrow.

Roughly twenty seconds after they are delivered, Casey Hampton will burst through the wall like the Kool-Aid man.

5. A robber with his face wrapped up as a mummy with dark cloth held up a Herminie convenience store two weeks ago.

I’d love to see the police sketch of that.

Wait. KDKA had the next best thing!

While you’re on the lookout for the mummy,  there was also a robbery at a bank yesterday.

They didn’t get a surveillance picture, but they think he might look something like this:

Remain vigilant, Pittsburgh!

6. Rob Biertempfel of the Trib tweeted this today about Wild Thing Joe Beimel.

Wild Thing, you make my heart hurt.

(h/t Charles)

1. Aileen
    March 1, 2011 4:44 pm

Is that arm with the tattoos or the other one?

2. Noelle
    March 1, 2011 4:47 pm

I’m so sorry about your dog Ginny, I lost my cat the night the Steelers lost the superbowl, so I know exactly how you feel. He too was ancient and it was time to go, but that doesn’t make it hurt any less.

3. Legallypgh(Kathy)
    March 1, 2011 4:49 pm

Oh Ginny — so sorry about your dog. We lost our dog in October. He was old and spent most of his time sleeping, but I still cried like a baby when I took him to the vet. They become like another member of the family, and in our case, my dog was older than my kids, so he was my first child in a way.

Thinking of you and your family…

4. Sooska
    March 1, 2011 4:52 pm

I am sorry about your dog. It is hard to lose a pet no matter how old or sick they are. I had to put my cat to sleep the day my husband lost his job. Not good times. My remaining cat is happy to be a pampered spoiled brat cat.

About that mummy…white? the mummy bandages or the skin?

5. Amanda
    March 1, 2011 4:54 pm

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your dog! It can be such a hard loss, but I think the memories of life with the pet always makes the suffering tolerable. I hope your other pup takes it easy on you… but I guess we all mourn in our own ways! Perhaps carpet pooping is especially helpful?

6. Gina
    March 1, 2011 5:10 pm

I’m so sorry about your dog. That always sucks.

I was in the Public Market a few weeks ago and fell in love with those collages. The artist’s dad was working and it was obvious he was so proud of his son. That made me love them even more.

I love that you are dancing with the Burgh Stars!

7. Gina
    March 1, 2011 5:12 pm

Wait – I totally missed that you were kidding. Too bad – you should really be dancing. That would be fun.

8. Suz
    March 1, 2011 5:32 pm

This is the hardest thing about owning a pet — having to deal with this inevitable day. I am sorry for your loss.

9. Cassie
    March 1, 2011 5:47 pm

Sorry about your dog. That just plain sucks.

BTW, I totally saw Waldo before I saw you wrote about him.

10. Me
    March 1, 2011 5:50 pm

So sorry about your dog. We know (or at least hope, I guess) that we will out live them, but it doesn’t make it any easier to say goodbye.

11. Magnus Patris
    March 1, 2011 5:56 pm

If Julie did the weather dressed that way instead of some of her more “Star Trek” inspired wardrobe, ‘PXI’s ratings rating would soar!

12. Christina
    March 1, 2011 7:10 pm

So sorry to hear about the dog. It’s a family member you lost and that’s hard.

Christopher’s Collages: They are freakin’ awesome. I kind of regret that I did not buy one (the Pens logo would have been mine), but I was too worried I would not get the thing home safe travelling around the world.

Public Market is indeed wonderful – I still try to get my brain to understand the information it got sent over from my tongue while eating a beer flavored marshmellow. LOVED IT!

13. Christa
    March 1, 2011 7:14 pm

Sorry to hear about your dog. Suckage. Hugs.

14. Tiffany
    March 1, 2011 7:31 pm

Oh Ginny, so sorry about the doggy. :(

However, I have to make a couple of points. First off, I bought a print of that Tomlin collage for my brother in law for Christmas. It is friggin awesome! I used to work with Christopher’s wife, Dawn, and I love that her name appears in the collage, with a heart!

Also, about the pop tarts. I think my husband is trying to be like that kid because he came home with 10, yes 10 boxes of pumpkin pop tarts he found dirt cheap at Big Lots. So, yeah, I could make my own pop tart art too.

15. Drea
    March 1, 2011 8:06 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your dog. It’s tough to lose a pet. If your kids are having a tough time with it, I’d recommend the book “Dog Heaven” (heck, it’s even helpful for adults…).

16. bluzdude
    March 1, 2011 8:25 pm

So sorry about your dog. Just because that trip to the vet was the right thing to do, doesn’t make it any easier. I still tear up thinking about the family cat we had to have put down, due to kidney failure, and that was over 17 years ago.

We’re with ya, sister.

17. gunnlino
    March 1, 2011 8:54 pm

To put it mildly the loss of a loved pup, part of the family is hard. We lost three Yorkies in the space of a year, all standing members of the family. It was difficult.
    They all now rest in little cedar boxes on a shelf upstairs. Is that weird ?
    The dancing thing, I’m in for that.Nothing like a little cash for the kids 1

18. Kristin
    March 1, 2011 9:11 pm

So very sorry about your dog… We had to put ours down on Christmas Eve, and he was only six years old. I still miss the little guy every day.

March 1, 2011 9:44 pm

2. WVU?

*Looks for burning couches*

20. Moxie Bestos
    March 1, 2011 9:57 pm

So sorry to hear about your precious pooch. I still remember the Steelers Sunday that we put our 16-year-old pup to sleep in 1998.

On a lighter note, in the last post, I suggested that Hines Dancing Ward ask himself, What Would Casey Hampton Do? With one million pop tarts, now we know. Hines will need to dance off all of that toasted breakfast sugar.

21. PA Girl in VA
    March 1, 2011 10:49 pm

Back over Thanksgiving weekend, former Steelers JT Thomas and Robin Cole had a booth at the Public Market and they were selling cheesecakes that they made. My husband recognized them and they were kind enough to pose for pictures with my husband ONLY because he could name them :) (If you only ‘suspected’ they were “some former Steelers players’ they didn’t confirm who they were; if you asked “Are you Robin Cole and JT Thomas?” they would say yes.)

The market is a great concept and I hope it grows into the great concept that it can be.

22. Bitter
    March 1, 2011 11:39 pm

Wow. After looking at the first picture, I was not expecting #1. Very sorry for your loss.

23. Scott
    March 2, 2011 12:44 am

Virginia, really sorry to hear about your dog. That’s never easy. After the last couple of months you’ve had, I’m rooting for some good things to start heading your way. Remember what Tupac used to say…keep-a yo head up.

24. Maggie K
    March 2, 2011 12:51 am

Sorry about your dog

25. Jen
    March 2, 2011 4:01 am

RainbowBridge.com

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together….

Author unknown…

26. YinzerInExile
    March 2, 2011 8:12 am

:( So sorry about your pup. I have 2 cats and a pup of my own and I have already expressed to those close to me that they can expect at least one full week of catatonia when they go.

27. Stacie
    March 2, 2011 8:14 am

He will be in MORE pain if he has to complete a full season w the Bucs

28. Erin
    March 2, 2011 10:13 am

I’m so sorry about your doggie. I know that pain.
    In good news, I laughed out loud at the Casey Hampton comment. Bwahahahahaa!!

29. Rachel
    March 2, 2011 10:27 am

Very sorry about your pup…. that’s one of the hardest things in the world to do

30. Vivian formerly NY Luvs Pitts
    March 2, 2011 10:37 am

So sorry about your doggie. :-( I know how it feels to lose a pet.

31. red pen mama
    March 2, 2011 10:56 am

1. Sorry to hear about your dog. It’s one reason I dread getting a pet for my children. Because I know someday we could lose it.

2. Pittsburgh Public Market. I want to go to this so much. It sounds like it is worth the trip to the strip district. One question: is it stroller/children friendly?

4. Laughed out loud at the Pop Tarts/Casey Hampton comment. I needed that.

March 2, 2011 11:41 am

5. Wait … I’ve seen that guy …

*Calls police, turns in Boris Karloff, collects reward*

33. Dan (Not Onorato)
    March 2, 2011 11:48 am

Ginny…sorry about your dog. I hope you and the family are doing well.

The Public Market is pretty cool…was there around Christmas and it was hopping!

34. Monty
    March 2, 2011 11:48 am

@ bucdaddy — And he might have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn’t for those meddling kids.

35. lovesthenorthside
    March 2, 2011 11:50 am

ginny, thinking of you and your family…it’s never easy to let a beloved pet go, and it really, really sucks.

@drea: my 8-year-old son brought “dog heaven” home from his school library when our dog died. i cried like a baby, but it was definitely comforting for my boys. kinda like “i love you forever.”

March 2, 2011 12:15 pm

BTW, there are about 10 comments in the thread of the No. 5 link that I wish I’d written. That’s comedy gold, there.

37. TripleC
    March 2, 2011 12:36 pm

If a majority of the pre-season Pirate related posts have to do with Joe Beimel then there is absolutely ZERO hope (as if we didn’t already know that) for the season. He simply stinks! Period. End of conversation. Oh, and I am well aware he’s going for the “bad-boy-long-hair-tattoo” image, but really folks, he looks like a guy I pass everyday downtown begging for change.

38. Leigh
    March 2, 2011 1:14 pm

I hold firm to this question. How do we really know it was a man dressed as a mummy and not a real mummy.
    Jeez.

39. Sara
    March 2, 2011 1:17 pm

Ginny-I am so sorry about your dog. We lost our dog in July, rather suddenly, and it was really difficult. My heart goes out to you!

On a brighter note, I am soooo psyched you are doing dancing with the Pittsburgh Celebrities!! Before I moved away, I told my ballroom teacher (who is usually one of the participating professionals) that they should ask you!! I am so glad they did!!

40. Domenica Ross
    March 2, 2011 3:40 pm

I met Chris Nix of Christopher’s Collages and he is just as interesting as his art. I know Tomlin signed and loved his piece. I can spend hours looking at Chris’s work and its truly amazing stuff.

41. Chris (Christopher's Collages)
    March 2, 2011 4:28 pm

Virginia, thank you so much for enjoying my artwork, and for the great PR! I’ve been a fan of yours for some time, and what a treat to see you are a fan of mine also!

I am currently working on a “Irish” collage in anticipation of the St Patty’s Day parade…spending every extra minute researching and drawing all things Irish!

I will be doing a “City of Pittsburgh” collage soon, and would love to collaborate with you on the perfect ideas to put inside.

….Then “Roberto Clemente” some time in 2011.

Thank you again for enjoying my artwork!

christopher nix
    Christopherscollages.com

42. Bern
    March 4, 2011 12:06 pm

My sincere condolences on the loss of your four-legged friend, Ginny. As someone who’s been through it, I know how painful it can be.