Fabian!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, you youngsters are not going to know who I’m talking about, but those of you my age who were raised on Laverne and Shirley are going to know and those of you who were teens in the 60s are going to know.

Look!

That is Fabian Forte, a teen idol in the late 50s and 60s. I met him yesterday at a charity event at Bossa Nova put on by Gladys Magazine, a quarterly national magazine that is being produced right here in Pittsburgh by Fabian’s beautiful and lovely wife Andrea.

I attended the event to support their cover girl, Elena LaQuatra. We’ll get to her in a minute, but first let’s talk about Fabian.

When Andrea introduced me to him, she said to Fabian, “This girl is only thirty mumble mumble years old and she knows who you are!”

And Fabian looked shocked and said, “HOW?!”

I said, “Laverne and Shirley!”

Laverne and Shirley were NUTS for Fabian and dressed as maids to break into his hotel room to meet him:

YouTube Preview Image

I am nuts for Fabian. He’s a nice guy! Unaffected, genuine, unpretentious. And he lives in Pittsburgh. Has for ten years.

WHO KNEW?!

Not me.

His wife is a former Miss Pennsylvania who moved to LA and met him. They moved here when her mother, Gladys, got sick, so they could care for her. Gladys died four years ago and Andrea started Gladys Magazine in 2009 in tribute to her.

Here I am with Andrea, Fabian, and Elena:

Look at me. Look at Elena. Me. Elena. Now back to me. LOL.

I AM SUCH A MOM.

Elena, lives in Pittsburgh, is the former Miss Teen Pennsylvania USA, and is 19-years-old. She is the sweetheart who along with Sally Wiggin presented me with the Women and Girls Foundation award I won last fall. She, like her good friend and mentor Gina Cerilli, defies the stereotype that smoking hot girls are either airheads or mean girls.

Elena is like Gina. Genuinely nice and caring. Down to earth.

Girls, I can see fakeness in other girls like it’s a lighthouse beacon shining in the night. It’s my superpower. Elena doesn’t have any of it in her. I adore her, which is why I promised her I’d come to support her at the event.

Elena’s family is Greek, from Ithica, and Elena recently took part in Greece’s Next Top Model. While in Greece, she did a photoshoot for Glady’s Magazine.

Check her out:

You can check Gladys Magazine out here. Trust me, you want to see the entire Greece spread as it is FULL of amazing pictures of Elena in Greece. The magazine often has articles about Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh people in it. I’m told the next edition, that comes out in April is going to feature Michelle Wright’s love story and that the story is “amazing.”

Now I’m intrigued.

And going to work on a signature photograph pose other than my current one, which I like to call Awkward.

1. Steverino
    March 4, 2011 11:41 am

LOVE Fabian! Went to see him perform after our high school prom in 1976 at the Brown Derby in Youngstown. Guess he was on his retro tour then. I remember reading an article in the PG a few years back that he lived in the area. He’s a nice guy. As for Elena…..my goodness. Gracious. My oh my.

March 4, 2011 11:47 am

You know what? Out of the three, I’d still take you home. Cause you make me laugh.

3. Monty
    March 4, 2011 12:04 pm

He looks totally different that he did in the I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter commercials.

4. Pa-pop
    March 4, 2011 12:29 pm

Is it me or does Andrea look 20 years younger than her actual age (just hit 50 last month)?

5. tw
    March 4, 2011 12:34 pm

OMG…thanks so much for the Laverne and Shirley clip…I loved them! Fabian too! And to me Ginny…you’re a youngin’ :)

March 4, 2011 12:40 pm

Pa-pop,

In the face, maybe, but check the neck.

7. Donny Iris
    March 4, 2011 12:40 pm

If there were a channel showing Laverne and Shirley 24 hrs., I’d never change channels.

8. Butcher's Dog
    March 4, 2011 1:20 pm

Yet again, bucdaddy wins (for #2 if nothing else).

9. johnaz6312
    March 4, 2011 1:43 pm

I was laughing my ass on seeing that scene from Laverne & Shirley again. Their insanity in dealing with Fabian was great comedy. And he seemed like such a good sport about the whole thing!!

And who knew that Fabian lived in the burgh? I didn’t. As for Elena, there is plenty of room for her out here in Arizona. She would fit in well with the girls of ASU.

Hey,there is a reason why I live near campus!

10. Barry
    March 4, 2011 1:51 pm

I knew who Fabian was, because my Mother was one of those screaming young girls as a teeny bopper. Now, as far Elena and Gina you couldn’t have hit the nail harder on the head with a jackhammer. Since meeting them I have been nothing but impressed with both of them. And reading what you wrote caused me to gra a kleenex. Thank you.

11. CC
    March 4, 2011 2:59 pm

I don’t know, Andrea looks pretty good to me. Chalk on up for Fabian!

March 4, 2011 3:15 pm

“Clearly, now that she’s 19 and I feel comfortable naming her it, she’s the next official Smokin’ Hot Burgher.”

So there’s a minimum age to being an SHB? I hope there’s not a maximum too or I’m probably almost four years past it.

In any case, I’m (mostly) through lusting after teenagers — one of the few good things about getting older is that every year there are more women I can call “girl” — but if Elena were 30 years older? I’d be all over that.

13. Jann
    March 4, 2011 3:23 pm

Monty- Aren’t you thinking of Fabio?

Ginny- Fabian’s looking pretty good, hmmm?

14. Amber
    March 4, 2011 4:11 pm

That clip is one of my all time favorite tv moments. When he starts singing and Shirley screams, it’s just genius. Still makes me LOL! And I am also thirty mumble, mumble years old!

15. Butcher's Dog
    March 4, 2011 4:26 pm

There are worse things (I’m lookin’ at you, Mike Tyson kissing a pigeon!) to look at all weekend than Laverne and Shirley. No more posts until Monday, please, unless Elena is at the top of whatever else comes up. As usual, just sayin’.

16. elysianfantasy
    March 4, 2011 4:43 pm

Ginny, not that I don’t love you – but I kinda think I’m turning into fans of Butcher’s Dog, bucdaddy & Monty. Yet again, they have succeeded in making me guffaw in my cubicle!

The only reason I know Fabian is from 6th grade music class when our teacher decided we should do a history of rock and roll and watch copious episodes of American Bandstand. I think I was the only dork who actually enjoyed it.

17. Clementine
    March 4, 2011 8:14 pm

Did you know Lenny & Squiggy were born in Pittsburgh? Michael McKean and David Lander were attending Carnegie Mellon and developed the Lenny & Squiggy characters for an acting class.

I love Laverne & Shirley!!

18. PAIGE/CASSIE DOWNEY
    March 4, 2011 9:35 pm

ELENA WE LOVE THAT POSE YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL. AS FOR FABIAN ………. WHO ISNT HECRAZY FOR HIM!. ONE THING I NEVER FIGURED OUT TOUGH ON LAVERN AND SHIRLEY. 2468 WHO DO WE APPRECIATE? SHAMEEL SHAMOZZLE DADA DA INCORPERATED? WHAT INCORPORATED? AND SQUIGY PLAYS THE PENGUIN ON THE OSWALD CARTOON NOW!! AND WE LOVE GLADYS MAGAZINE, ANDREA, FABIAN, AND SAVANNAH KENICK!

19. empirechick
    March 4, 2011 10:09 pm

hasenpfeffer

March 5, 2011 1:58 am

David Lander, who played Squiggy, is a huge Pirates fan. Back in my days as an intrepid news reporter I had lunch with him in the Astrodome to talk Pirates for an hour. It was a fun time, I got a good story out of it, and I’ll always remember it.

When the Pirates had their AAA farm team in Portland, Ore., he was a part-owner, so he put his money where his mouth is, too.

David has been bravely battling some serious health problems for years.

Wiki sez:

“Lander suffers from multiple sclerosis. Officially diagnosed on 15 May 1984 at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, he went public in 1999 and regularly speaks at related conventions. In 2002, his autobiography was published, Fall Down Laughing: How Squiggy Caught Multiple Sclerosis and Didn’t Tell Nobody (ISBN 1-58542-052-2), written with Lee Montgomery.”

Squiggy was a pain in the ass but David deserves respect and affection.

Michael McKean did all right for himself too. (“This one goes to 11” … or was that Nigel?)

They also show up as a variation of Lenny and Squiggy in one of my favorite stupid movies, Kurt Russell’s “Used Cars.”

21. TheQueen
    March 5, 2011 2:01 pm

This is to BucDaddy “do you even have a neck” or do just sit around all day and trash people. Believe me I shop with Fabian’s wife and she looks hot from the neck down too!

22. Butcher's Dog
    March 5, 2011 2:21 pm

@TheQueen: I don’t think bucdaddy was trashing Fabian’s wife. His “neck” comment was in reference to the fact that someone indicated that she and Elena looked the same in the picture. One’s 50 and the other’s 19. He was just pointing out that a closer look would indicate some age difference.

And if you think bucdaddy trashes people, you haven’t read much of some of the other posters. He’s pretty mild most of the time. Try not to be oversensitive. We’re all about the love here.

March 5, 2011 6:24 pm

B-Dog in MY corner.

And, co-rect.

24. Butcher's Dog
    March 6, 2011 8:07 am

@bucdaddy: In the words of Theo Kojak, another bald guy with an attitude: “Who loves ya, ba-beee?!?!”

March 6, 2011 3:59 pm

Bald head, bad attitude, lollipop.

Loved me some Kojak in the day.

“Stavros, get in here!”

26. Tam
    March 6, 2011 9:15 pm

quite the bro-mance happening here…

27. Butcher's Dog
    March 7, 2011 8:26 am

@Tam: Bitter, party of one! Your table’s ready!

See, it’s just that from time to time those few remaining old guys among us gotta turn out to support the cause. And anyone who doesn’t recognize bucdaddy’s contribution to our little corner of the Internet (I’m looking at you, TheQueen!) obviously hasn’t been paying attention.

28. Kathleen Cahalan
    March 7, 2011 9:28 am

“Turn me loose, turn me loose I say.” Fabian is still a hottie!

March 7, 2011 11:30 am

B-Dog,

Maybe she meant our bromance with Kojak and not of each other? Though it’s 2011, man, it should be safe for us to come out of the closet and declare the Love That Dare Not Speak Its Name if we want to. Everybody says so, especially in enlightened, forward-thinking places like Pittsburgh and West Virginia.

30. Butcher's Dog
    March 7, 2011 12:51 pm

True enough, bucdaddy. Between the Pirates, Kojak, and Holy Grail we have a lot going on.

A side note: some people aren’t tough enough for sarcasm. That’s why God invented yelling and screaming.

31. Bulldog
    March 7, 2011 5:18 pm

I’ve gotta say that the “side” show here is really getting to be about as good as the main attraction. Just when I think that Ginny has reached insurmountable heights with a post, I come to the comments only to be doubled over with laughter. Thanks to those of you who make this such a great “little corner of the internet.”

March 8, 2011 10:57 am

B-Dog,

Seems like a good time for my favorite bald joke:

Two guys sitting in a bar, one of them completely bald, with a magnificent shiny dome. Other guy gets a few drinks in him and decides to be a wiseass. He reaches over, rubs the bald guy’s head and says, “Huh! Feels just like my wife’s ass.”

Bald guy reaches up, rubs his own head and declares, “Hey, you’re right! It does!”