Random n’at.

1. Things I’ve never had:

• Filet-O-Fish
  • Shamrock Shake
  • Nutella (I’m going to rectify this one very soon, because I’ve been told it is heaven in a jar)

2. While we’re listing things — what? Aren’t you listing things? Go ahead and list some things so I can say, “While we’re listing things …”

While we’re listing things, I’ve gotten the habit lately of researching weird words. Mostly because I’m often searching for the perfect word for something when I’ll stumble across a site that has strange words.

My recent favorite: Circumbilivagination.

It hints at circumcision and vaginas and maybe bile, but really just means “going around in a circular motion.”

Totally going to use this in a sentence.  On my resume.

Or my gravestone.

3. While we’re talking about weird words, do you know that if you’re afraid of the word “circumbilivagination” you suffer from hippopotomonstrosesquippediliophobia? Seriously.

4. This has been a fun post, so far, has it not? Look at all the things you’ve already learned!

5. Here’s something else you can learn: What Hines Ward looks like as a ballroom dancer.

Ladies, while the men are busy putting out the fire in their genitals caused by that picture of Hines’ partner, I gotta say, I understand Hines Ward sends many a heart pitter-pattering, but mine?

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

That word is supposed to be the sound of my heart flat-lining. Also known as an onomatopoeia.

Did I just cause a flare up of your hippopotomonstrosesquippediliophobia?

5. I am not drunk.

6. While just surfing the WTAE site reading about the local man who expressed no remorse about starving his dogs to death, this headline appeared in the sidebar under “More Stories.”

Dog ate toes of diabetic owner as he slept.

First, no way am I clicking on that. Google it if you want the gory details.

Second, is there a word for “fear of dog eating your toes while you sleep”?

Caninaphalangicideaphobia sounds right.

7. Have you noticed this?

David Highfield before:

David Highfield now:

Dear David, THUMBS UP on the new look.

8. I don’t think I’ve linked to this yet from here, but I have a new post up at Pittsburgh Magazine about the amazing Waffle Shop billboard that you can rent for only $100 a week.

A snippet!

Whereas the “About Us” section of Waffle House’s website probably says something like, “We make waffles for you to eat,” but the “About” section of Waffle Shop’s website states, “The shop is a public lab that brings together people from all walks of life to engage in dialogue, experimentation and the co-production of culture.”

That’s incredibly cutting-edge—and for lack of a better word, cool. For a person who is paid to find better words, I bet my pay will be docked this month.

Go have a read. I came up with a dozen ideas for what to use it for! Including a little note to Lukey.

9. It is refreshing when you find a Steeler on twitter whose tweets are informative, funny, and, well, understandable.

Ike Taylor is NOT that Steeler.

I understand the words, but I don’t understand the STRINGS of words. Forget vowels; the man needs to buy some punctuation.

10. News today that Dan Bylsma has been given a three-year contract extension … AS HE SHOULD.

My God, the fact that he’s been able to string together ANY wins with the cut and pasted team he’s working with as of late, he deserves a freaking medal.

This is good news!

11. Also good news … the Pirates are playing .500 ball in the Grapefruit League play.

If you count the bitchslapping they gave those Manatees, they’re ABOVE .500 ball.

I’ll take what I can before the pain comes and drives me to drink, and if you think my Random n’at posts are silly when I’m sober, wait’ll you see them when I’m in the cups.

One word: hieroglyphics.

12. The next person who emails me to ask me if I’ve heard about the new Mike Tyson pigeon show is going to have their email address submitted to a plethora of embarrassing online newsletter subscriptions.

Starting with Impotence and You.

1. SpudMom
    March 9, 2011 1:00 pm

Ginny, you really must check out http://savethewords.org/ if you’re into obscure and weird sounding words.

2. Amy
    March 9, 2011 1:03 pm

Oh man. Oh man oh man. I hereby claim David Highfield as my first self-united husband. I really need to start watching the news more often, because… damn.

3. Cassie
    March 9, 2011 1:13 pm

1. It’s OK if you’re drunk, no one’s judging.
    2. I just made cinnamon pull apart bread and am currently having cinnamonpullapartbreadorgasms.
    3. I am AWESOME at making up words.
    4. Listing things is fun!

4. Leigh
    March 9, 2011 1:25 pm

Ike Taylor’s Twitter postings may be the exception, but are a great example of why I don’t get Twitter. Half the time I can’t figure out what the heck people are saying with all the abbreviations, @ and # symbols, etc. Maybe CCAC needs to offer a one day class for social media novices like me!

Thumbs up on David Highfield’s new look. Mrrrrw!

Plus, way to go Dan Bylsma! Well deserved. Good to see new guy Neal scoring. We’re gaining on Philly.

5. CrashJK
    March 9, 2011 1:48 pm

Hine’s partner ???…meh….

Sara Evans causes me to run into ice cold showers everytime…www.saraevans.com

Big props to Neil, Michalek and Fleury – last night you guys were killin’ out there…keep it up Crosby-less Pens !

6. Monty
    March 9, 2011 1:52 pm

Based on the comments so far, David Highfield is not just reporting from Beaver County — he is in fact the mayor of Beaver County. Population: Amy and Leigh.

Side question: Are beaver jokes acceptable on this blog? If not, I will change my name going forward so you have no idea who I am.

7. CrashJK
    March 9, 2011 1:57 pm

Hey Highfield….Elvis Costello called, he wants his “look” back…http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/pv/Elvis%20Costello-8.jpg

8. jamie
    March 9, 2011 2:11 pm

nutella really is heaven in a jar! i have decided to give it up for lent along with hitting the snooze button….

9. MrsWoy
    March 9, 2011 2:43 pm

There is absolutely no redeeming nutritional value in a Filet-o-Fish sandwich but, oh my goodness, I love them! During my pregnancy the F-o-F was one of the very few cravings I had. So much so that Mike asked my OB if it was a problem. It was not, but I did try to reign it in a bit.

10. Pensgirl
    March 9, 2011 2:47 pm

Haven’t had a Shamrock Shake in years. I loved them as a kid, which is a big deal because I hate everything else 1) from McDonalds 2) about St. Patrick’s Day.

I have never watched Dancing With the Stars, so I don’t know anything about Hines’ partner, but in that picture she looks a little bit like Portia de Rossi.

As for Hines himself, he’s a nice-looking man but when he smiles (so, all the time) he reminds me of a goofball kid. I mean that in a good way, but (since I’m not a psycho), finding him kid-like I am incapable of “pitter-pattering” about him.

(Mike Wallace, by contrast….)

11. Mimi
    March 9, 2011 3:09 pm

Nutella IS heaven in a jar. Go to Crepes Parisiennes on Filbert (Bonjour, David!) in Shadyside and get a Nutella crepe with berries, whipped cream, and walnuts on top. You’re welcome in advance. :)

12. rickh
    March 9, 2011 3:26 pm

Not a fan of Nutella. Growing up the filet of fish was the only thing I liked from McDonald’s. It’s the gift that keeps on giving; eat one and you taste it the rest of the day.

Never watched DWTS but Hines’ partner? Sweet sassy molassy, I might have to tune in to see what that’s about.

13. Jcubed03
    March 9, 2011 3:44 pm

I am seconding Mimi’s suggestion. The crepe is to die for as is Nutella straight from the jar. Not that I would know anything about that. :)

14. PG Wodehouse
    March 9, 2011 3:45 pm

Onomatopoeia every time I see ya
    My senses tell me hubba
    And I just can’t disagree
    I get a feeling in my heart that I can’t describe
    It’s sort of lub, dub, lub, dub
    A sound in my head that I can’t describe
    It’s sort of zoom, zip, hiccup, drip
    Ding, dong, crunch, crack, bark, meow, whinnie, quack

Onomatopoeia in proximity ya
    Rearrange my brain in a strange cacophony
    I get a feeling somewhere that I can’t describe
    It’s sort of uh, uh, uh, uh
    A sound in my head that I can’t describe
    It’s sort of whack, whir, wheeze, whine
    Sputter, splat, squirt, scrape

March 9, 2011 3:55 pm

Things I’ve never had:
    A Shamrock Shake
    Nutella
    a tattoo
    a three-way… er… I mean…
    An Enhanced Nighttime Entertainment Experience.

16. Tam
    March 9, 2011 3:59 pm

The news guy…but not Hines? uh – that’s a miss.

Disco Dan – now that’s great news!

17. spoon
    March 9, 2011 4:59 pm

Had a Filet-o-Fish and shamrock shake for lunch. At least the shake was good :)

18. Christina
    March 9, 2011 5:16 pm

You NEVER had Nutella??? DAMN … if I would have known this earlier.

Mimi’s recommendations btw sounds like the perfect way to make first steps in Nutella country – a place you will never leave again.

19. kejad
    March 9, 2011 5:33 pm

Hey, Highfield, Greg Proops called. He wants his glasses back.

Oh – I almost forgot: 50,000 fat Pittsburgh douchebags also called. They want their goatee back.

20. Jann
    March 9, 2011 5:57 pm

Hines is such a cutie! My sister said I can vote for him 10 times on one computer (is that true?)
    If so, I’ve counted up four computers i have access to, so they will all be voting for him.

21. Rebecca
    March 9, 2011 6:25 pm

Jann…..The announcers on DWTS say that you can vote 10 times per email address, so you may not need to run around to different computers to make your votes. :)

22. Anthony
    March 9, 2011 7:39 pm

Hey Highfield, Frasier called–he wants his look back.

23. Kathy
    March 9, 2011 7:47 pm

Ahhh, but have you heard about PETA protesting the pigeon races at his house? I double dog dare you to write a post that unites them against you.

24. Kathy
    March 9, 2011 7:47 pm

oh, and try the shamrock shake. yum.

25. Angie
    March 9, 2011 9:59 pm

I found somethign better than Nutella… it is from Peanut butter & Co. —> Chocolate peanutbutter…. it is heaven in a nutshell!!!!

Nutella is good but this is out of the world…

Just a thought….

26. Clair
    March 9, 2011 11:14 pm

Nutella ROCKS. and the chocolate peanut butter referenced above? also quite tasty! Filet O Fish? biech! lol. Can’t say anything about the shake, as I have never had one. But my oldest is in total love with them!

March 10, 2011 12:12 am

5. Here’s a word for you:

Hyperventurbation

And props to 14. PGW for the Todd Rundgren ref.

28. JillM
    March 10, 2011 8:49 am

Nutella was big in my house when the kids were taking French in HS – apparently “french cuisine” LOL.

I have to say Filet o Fish are my guilty pleasure. I know they are horrible, but oh so yummy.

I’ve never had a shamrock shake, but my son has had one a day for the past month – I really wish I had the metabolism of a 19 year old boy (then I could have a filet o fish more often!)

29. red pen mama
    March 10, 2011 9:33 am

I may have had a filet o fish sometime in my dissolute youth. I have tried a shamrock shake, and I find them utterly disgusting.

I make lists all the time. I can’t get through my day without a list.

My husband’s favorite phobia (he’s a psychologist): triskaidekaphobia. “It’s fun to say!”

I learned the longest name for a fish last night: humuhumunukunukuapua’a. It’s Hawaiian.

You’re welcome.

30. addie
    March 10, 2011 9:44 am

Love The Waffle Shop, love the billboard. Do you know about Conflict Kitchen, their sister project around the corner? http://www.conflictkitchen.org/

Also, I’d totally pitch in 5 bucks to fund a That’s Church branded message to Luke. :)

31. Steverino
    March 10, 2011 10:35 am

Filet of fish is a real misnomer. That piece of garbage is a chemical concoction of God-knows-what with artifical flavoring.

March 10, 2011 2:20 pm

And that would make it different from everything else on the McDonald’s menu how?

I’ve been boycotting McD’s because of the execrable “I’m lovin’ it” campaign, but after all these years I’m thinking I should just turn that into a general boycott. Not like there isn’t a Wendy’s or Burger King or Hardee’s somewhere.

33. Ravishing Rick
    March 11, 2011 10:55 am

Highfield is sporting the French Paparazzi look, or he discovered crack

34. Betoon
    March 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Shamrock shake – coworker brought one into the office last year that was so big it should have had wheels. At some point she gave up on it and kept running to the bathroom.
    Filet O’Fish (for St. Paddy’s Day) – fond memories but have not eaten one since taking lipitor. And Ike Taylor’s twitter – I was helping a man who was struggling with English – after everything I said to him he would say (and I quote) “I do not understand the words you speak.” Ditto!

35. Brian
    March 16, 2011 12:34 am

When you come to Pitt-Greensburg this Friday, I’m gonna have a jar of Nutella for you. Seriously. By the way, looking forward to your visit here.