WTF, Phil?

I object so strongly to this that I’d be found in contempt of court for my continual objection after my objection had been overruled.

What kind of late-winter, practically mid-March bullshit is this?!

A winter storm watch has been posted for Western Pennsylvania for Thursday evening through Friday evening.

Six inches or more of snow is possible during that time, along with wind gusts up to 25 mph, meteorologist Lee Hendricks said today. It will be the type of wet, heavy snow that can cause power outages and the winds will create blowing and drifting that will restrict visibility, the weather service said in a statement this afternoon.

In a stunning coincidence, I also released a statement this afternoon.

It was mostly swear words and angry threats of rodential violence.

OMG. Say it with me.

Rodential Violence would make a great band name.

1. HorseShoeBend
    March 9, 2011 6:46 pm

Rodential Violence is the warm up band at the exterminators convention silly. Guess who the lead was?

Step away from the computer and fill your glass please.

2. HeatherB
    March 9, 2011 10:53 pm

Is that a prairie dog? I LOVE prairie dogs. They almost make me forget how much I hate March snow.

3. Butcher's Dog
    March 9, 2011 11:20 pm

As previously reported (by me), groundhogs reputedly taste like chicken. Just sayin’.

If the ‘newspaper’ you were reading when son asked the question was the Trib, his use of air-quotes is inspired and spot-on accurate. Again, just sayin’.

March 10, 2011 2:01 am

I’ve had chicken that tasted like groundhog.

Ain’t sayin’ where. Just sayin’.

5. Cathy
    March 10, 2011 7:59 am

Groundhog tastes like beef. First hand experience. Ate it a lot as a child in Hamburger Helper meals. And even prior to the impending “eff up my weekend plans” I thought the rodent should die. I have deepseeded rodent issues :)

6. Dan (Not Onorato)
    March 10, 2011 9:00 am

Actually “Deepseeded Rodent Issues” would be a great band name.

7. emilie
    March 10, 2011 10:17 am

You can blame me – it’s my birthday and it’s almost a given that we get some type of snow (flurries, accumulation, winter storm) on my birthday. happens every year so it seems. but yeah – eff (or since I gave up cursing for Lent – COCONUTS!)

March 10, 2011 10:24 am

Deep-SEATED Rodent Issues would be a correct band name.

9. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    March 10, 2011 10:36 am

This doesn’t surprise me at all. Snow right around the Pittsburgh St. Patrick’s Day parade every few years or so is not unusual. Hopefully, it won’t be as bad as in 1993. The parade, however, will go on. Rain, shine or snow.

March 10, 2011 10:46 am

This is what you get for listening to that idiot Gus.*

(signed)

French Creek Freddie

*–Why is it OK for Pennsylvania to use an animatronic groundhog to sell lottery tickets to gambling addicts but Camel can’t use Joe Camel to sell cigarettes to nicotine addicts?

11. spoon
    March 10, 2011 10:57 am

Hey give Phil a break, he’s predicting for the whole world here. Its an early spring, just not here where nothing is ever normal.

@bucdaddy because lottery ticket money goes to old people and the state. Now if we Gus would smoke some smooth turkish and domestic blend of a Camel it’d be OK.

March 10, 2011 11:36 am

spoon,

I’m gonna take a wild guess here and suppose that the biggest consumers of lottery tickets (i.e., the people getting their pockets picked most frequently and effectively) are … old people. But I’ve long felt the function of government is to take $1 out of your left pocket, subtract 40 cents for overhead, put 60 cents in your right pocket and expect you to throw a parade, so maybe I’m just cynical that way.

Also, government continually tells me how harmless the lottery is (except for the “Please play responsibly” tagline that lasts about a second in every Gus ad). So I have to wonder why people under age 18 aren’t allowed to play. Hell, a 7-year-old is allowed to use a hunting rifle to kill deer and bear, but he can’t buy a scratch-off ticket to pay for his college tuition? Isn’t there a lot of allowance money that Pa. could be using to fill budget holes? I hate the lottery, but even I’ll admit that would be a better use of teen-agers’ money than, say, on tickets to “Twilight.”

13. Dan (Not Onorato)
    March 10, 2011 11:57 am

No offense Bucdaddy (Im a fan of yours afterall)…I meant Deepseeded (as incorrect as it is)

14. seaNskibum
    March 10, 2011 11:59 am

You all can complain about what you want. I’m gonna make lemonade out of lemons and head on up to the Springs to party with Mayor Luke for Snowmageddon 2011! I might even get some skiing in!

15. Cathy
    March 10, 2011 12:02 pm

So I’m gramatically incorrect….oh well, it’s the least of my worries. Deep-seated/deep-seeded…I still hate the rodent. :)

16. hello haha narf
    March 10, 2011 12:19 pm

don’t hate me, but i love winter and expect snow in march. for the most part i am incredibly confused by pittsburghers who seem shocked when it snows on halloween or st. patrick’s day.

17. Butcher's Dog
    March 10, 2011 12:56 pm

The Lottery (in all its emanations): Tax On Stupidity.

That’s from a former student; I never steal credit for anything.

@Cathy: it’s not so much a matter of being ungrammatical as it is of pronunciation. Most people SAY “deepseeded”, so that’s how it gets written. Toward the end of my teaching career the most common head-desk moments came when I had to read “then” when the writer meant “than”. And it’s all pronunciation. Kids say “taller then, bigger then, richer then, hungrier then” when they mean “than” each time.

Sorry to go all old-fart-former-teacher on everyone. As you were.

18. Scott
    March 10, 2011 12:59 pm

So much for the “I can’t wait to break out my comfy sweaters and do-me boots!!!!!”….but I’m sure we’ll see that post again this fall.

19. JennyMoon
    March 10, 2011 1:06 pm

As I stated on my FB page, I apologize for the snow tomorrow. It’s my fault for thinking earlier this week that I made it through winter without having to shell out more money for new tires! Please forgive me!

20. red pen mama
    March 11, 2011 11:16 am

I usually don’t complain about weather, really I don’t. I understand the consequences of living in/near Pittsburgh. Hell, I grew up in Erie! But between last year’s pregnancy, a baby born in December, and winter in general, I feel like I’ve been cooped up — quite often with my three loverly children — for more than a year. I need me some sunshine and fresh air! And my ass, frankly, needs some walking.

21. Julie
    March 11, 2011 3:34 pm

Virginia, I just keep coming back to that awesome rodent picture. Would you mind terribly if I stole it to use for my Facebook profile pic? I giggle every time I see it!!