Tires! Nom nom nom!

An aside: Anything I write today, please know that I’ve got the rest of the world, particularly Japan and Hawaii, on my mind. Utter devastation. Lives gone in a blink. Really a reminder that all we can do is embrace every day we’re given.

__________________

As happens each March in Pittsburgh, the potholes are out of control. Penn Avenue in Lawrenceville looks like a family of Graboids lives under it.

And you know the situation is bad when one single pothole gets its own headline from the Associated Press:

Deep thoughts.

1. Butcher's Dog
    March 11, 2011 2:18 pm

OK, so our weather gives snowmageddon and potholes. Beats hell out of tsunamis and earthquakes and unabated tornados. Even down here, in the coastal Carolina region in which I’m snowbirding, there are ubiquitous “Hurricane Evacuation Route” signs. Nothing like that in Mercer County. When you count your blessings, include those things.

Unabated and ubiquitous in the same paragraph. Consider the gauntlet thrown, readers! Extra points for correct use and spelling.

2. spoon
    March 11, 2011 2:23 pm

I think Banksville swallowed a buick and a schoolbus but spit back out a WPXI van.

3. Robin
    March 11, 2011 2:40 pm

The last line of that story kills me. People with flat tires called AAA? Newsworthy!

4. LegallyPittsburgh
    March 11, 2011 3:24 pm

I think that pothole recreated itself on Potomac Avenue in the City of Pittburgh…I hit it yesterday and got an IMMEDIATE flat tire because apparently the rebar under it is exposed and ripped a hole in my tire the size of my car…good thursday morning to you too!

5. gunnlino
    March 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Does ANYBODY really think the City of Pittsburgh gives a rats ass about us and our tires/driving/bus service ?

6. RPJ
    March 12, 2011 12:07 am

“Question. At what point does a pothole stop being a pothole and become a sinkhole?”

a. When it is big enough to have its own giftshop.

b. When the nearest inhabitant convinces a KDKA camera crew that the outline of the pothole is the spitting image of the blessed mother.

c. When boy mayor shows up for the ribbon cutting.

d. Any of the above.

March 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Time for the tables to turn:

8. Megan
    March 14, 2011 9:03 am

I’m not sure of the official answer to your question, but last week I emailed 311 to complian about a giant pothole at the corner of Fifth and Wilkins, and got a response within a couple of hours thanking me, and telling me that since that one is technically a sinkhole, the water company was going to take care of it. Two days later, it was all filled in and no longer swallowing cars.