Someone get that man an Epilady. Updated.

I’ll let reader James who sent this to me explain:

Sweetwater Brewery here in Atlanta brews some off the wall project beers from time to time, in what they call their Dank Tank series.  They don’t make them for very long, and when they are gone, they’re gone.

The latest is called Mean Joe Bean, and one look at the label tells us that SOMEONE there is a Steeler fan!

Click the picture to see the whole label of Mean Joe Bean:

So many questions!

Is that supposed to be Joe Greene wearing panties and heels?

Do they know something I don’t know?

Is Lady Gaga looking at this and getting some costume ideas?

Do I ever want to drink a beer that came from The Dank Tank even if it is described as “so good you’ll need your Terrible Towel to wipe the tears?”

Is coffee-flavored beer available anywhere around here so I can try it?

Will I ever be able to mind-erase the mental image of Joe Greene wearing panties and heels?

Is the Neuralyzer a thing yet?

Would Dank Tank make a good band name?

I NEED ANSWERS, PEOPLE.

Update: And some answers are rolling in thanks to Atlanta resident Allison who tells me that is the Dank Tank mascot and here’s a picture of him her it.

Yowza. I changed my mind. I want THIS picture Neuralyzed out of my brain.

1. Butcher's Dog
    March 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Drunk Tank would make a better band name than Dank Tank. Just sayin’.

I’m thinkin’ Sweetwater might need a good lawyer or three ’cause they appear to be tip-toeing around some copyright issues, especially on recognizable names. Also, 22 oz. of 8.5% alcohol and coffee sounds like a real bad idea. Seriously, who wants to be around a drunk who can’t sleep it off? As usual, just sayin’.

2. Steve S.
    March 15, 2011 2:46 pm

There are plenty of beers brewed with coffee that are readily available. Many of them are stouts or porters. Founders makes a Breakfast Stout which is very tasty. There’s also the harder to find Founders KBS, which is the Breakfast Stout aged in bourbon barrels. Peak Organic makes an Espresso Amber Ale that I enjoy. But if you’re looking for something local, East End’s website says that have some bottles of Eye Opener Coffee Porter.

3. Bill G
    March 15, 2011 2:58 pm

Try Kona Pipeline Porter. Now I made myself thirsty.

4. Mike
    March 15, 2011 3:02 pm

I second number 2, Founder’s Breakfast Stout is excellent.

Next time you’re in Regent Square or Monroeville, check out D’s Six Pax and Dogs, awesome beer selections, they’ll help you out with any questions too!

5. Allison
    March 15, 2011 3:05 pm

1) No, that’s the Dank Tank mascot of sorts.
    2) They know how to make beer really well–they’re the best in Atlanta.
    3) Possibly.
    4) Yes. The beers that they come with up in the Dank Tank are delicious.
    5) Not sure since I’m in Atlanta. :)
    6) Yes, because it’s not Mean Joe. :)
    7) No.
    8) Yes.

6. Steve Farace
    March 15, 2011 3:05 pm

what’s not to like about a dude in heels sporting a MJG jersey?

y’all should take a trip down south and see “it” for yourself – and taste some of this great brew while you here!

Steve
    SweetWater Brewery

7. Joshua
    March 15, 2011 3:06 pm

I was going to recommend East End Brewery too. Their Black Strap Stout is great. They may even have a sample of it up at Public Market.

8. Tim
    March 15, 2011 3:08 pm

It is as simple as this, go to Hough’s in Greenfield. They have like 300 beers and lots of beer with coffee flavor. I suggest Vanilla Java Porter by Atwater Brewing Company.

They are going to have a make your own beer option soon.

9. AB
    March 15, 2011 3:11 pm

I second Vanilla Java Porter by Atwater. Especially if you can find it on tap. YUM.

10. TracyinSC
    March 15, 2011 3:19 pm

Sweetwater is our absolute favorite! IPA for my husband and Sch’Wheat for me, when I can find it. Otherwise the 420. We have a standing order to deliver a case of the IPA to our friends in Kane, PA when we trek North.

I’ve been waiting for Mean Joe Bean to hit our (South Carolina) beer stores since it was announced a few months back.

Sweetwater is the 26th largest brewery in the US, but the beer in only available in a handful of states (13 maybe?). Learned that from “Drinking Made Easy” on some obscure DirecTV channel. :)

11. Nate
    March 15, 2011 3:20 pm

Beer +coffee = awesome

And on a side note, I went to resturant last week called Publik Draft House in ATL (awesome place – their slogan is Where Beer is Cheaper than Water) but I experienced Sweetwater 420 (IPA) and it was great … I only wish I knew that Sweetwater had tours … :-(

12. Jasmine
    March 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Remedy over in Lawrenceville has a coffee-flavored beer, I forget what it’s called, but it’s worth going to Remedy for the bean burger alone.

13. Mike
    March 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Now I’m thirsty for Vanilla Java Porter… also a good beer, and much better from a tap than bottled (not to say it’s bad bottled, but it tastes a lot different).

14. spoon
    March 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Speaking of Founders KBS, the release party for it in Pittsburgh is tomorrow night (Wednesday) at Bocktown! John from Founders will be there serving samples. KBS is Coffee, vanilla and bourbon. Best stout you will ever drink. Very tough to come buy. Aging 2 bottles of it now from 09 and 10.

If you want some great drafts of stouts right now Patrick’s Pub in Moon has an 3 grade A ones on tap.

Souther Tier Choklat
    The only way I can describe this is chocolate brownie in a bottle. Its not thick but the taste is incredible. Impressed they had it on tap.

East End Black Strap Stout
    this beer is unfreakingbelievable and made locally.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Stout
    You will see God. ’nuff said

15. Tim
    March 15, 2011 3:53 pm

Last time I was at Hough’s, Vanilla Java Porter was both on draft and in bottles. They are doing some sort of 64 drafts basketball style tournament with their draft beer selection right now so I’m not sure if it is still on tap.

16. Butcher's Dog
    March 15, 2011 4:00 pm

Black Strap sounds a lot like molasses, maybe the third time through the process. Anyone know if this is the case with Black Strap Stout? I know black strap molasses isn’t for the faint of heart.

17. red pen mama
    March 15, 2011 4:01 pm

About 5 other commenters beat me to the punch regarding “coffee-flavored beer”. To sum up: good porters and stouts usually have a coffee bean flavor to them. This post has me craving some big-time now. I’ll have to check my local beer distributor.

Also, I’m pretty adventurous when it comes to tasting beer, and I’ve tried (and liked) one called “Yellow Snow” by Rogue. The name did give me pause, but it’s one of my favorite IPAs now. So, yes, I would drink something from a Dank Tank.

18. Butcher's Dog
    March 15, 2011 4:03 pm

@Tracy: I’m currently in SC myself. I’ll look for the Sweetwater 420 and IPA if I can find it down here. Ever been to a Mellow Mushroom? Seems like they have about 60 or more taps. We’re going there when my son comes later this week.

For the uniniated, Mellow Mushroom is a pizza/beer place, not a haven for aging 60s hippies.

19. Butcher's Dog
    March 15, 2011 4:04 pm

Yeah, I misspelled “uninitiated”. And after only half a glass of cabernet, too! It was the thoughts of 60s hippies that did me in!

20. Butcher's Dog
    March 15, 2011 4:06 pm

@red pen mamma: Yellow Snow would make a kick-ass band name, too!

21. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    March 15, 2011 4:11 pm

All of the beers suggested are excellent. Did anyone else notice that Mel Blount’s weight is listed at over 2,500 pounds! That’s a steel curtain in and of itself!

22. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    March 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Relooking at that, I’m guessing those are the ingredients and the equipment weights?

23. red pen mama
    March 15, 2011 4:12 pm

@Butcher’s Dog, I like it, but Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow would make a better band name. ;)

24. TracyinSC
    March 15, 2011 4:17 pm

@Butcher’s Dog: I’m in Columbia – Greene’s and Total Wine carry the 420 and IPA (as do a few grocery stores as well). I haven’t been to the Mellow Mushroom, heard good things though. I’ll put that on my list.

Another great bar with hundreds of beers (and standard bar food) is the Flying Saucer in the Vista.

Lastly, I’d HIGHLY recommend the World Beer Festival that comes to Columbia every year, third weekend in January. This year 80+ brewers, mostly craft, were there. Avery Brewing and Stone Brewing were my two favorite discoveries at this year’s event.

25. Jim
    March 15, 2011 4:48 pm

I’m the “reader James” that sent Ginny this link. Sweetwater Brewery (and let me say that I am not in any way affiliated with them) makes some fine brews. The odd character with the number 75 on the shirt is present on all of the Dank Tank series of brews, with a slight modification in the look each time. Too bad you can’t get them up in my hometown of Pittsburgh; they put anything Pittsburgh Brewing has ever bottled to shame. I’d just love to know the story behind how the name for this brew was dreamed up.

@Steve Farace – There’s a great beer festival up in Western PA you guys should go to:

and I’m not affiliated with that either, although my brother does work at the resort :)

Also @Steve Farace – talk the brewmaster into bringing back your Hummer! Damn I miss that beer!!

26. Butcher's Dog
    March 15, 2011 6:10 pm

All this talk of beer and brew fests and nothing from bucdaddy? I know spoon’s got some chops on this topic, but talking beer without bucdaddy is like asking for grilling tips at a vegan convention. Just sayin’.

27. Dana
    March 15, 2011 7:27 pm

You missed your chance for some of the best coffee-flavored beer I’ve ever had–“The Adulterator,” Hofbrauhaus’s beer of the month for February. You definitely need to try it next year. Coffee, chocolate and caramel with a 8% ABV.

28. spoon
    March 15, 2011 9:21 pm

Not sure how many people were aware of this but the #1 beer store in the WORLD is in Boardman, Ohio. No kidding, they earned the title last year from Rate Beer and got a spiffy award and national recognition. Previously they were #1 in USA.

There is a cap of 12% ABV on beer they can sell in Ohio but they get some unbelievable beers you’ll never find in PA and its WAY cheaper (bottles I pay $15 for here are $6-7 there). Not to mention one of the only Mead bars in the country, huge wine selection and some kickass flatbread. Only 35-40 minutes north of Cranberry!

Check out Vintage Estate – http://vewinebeer.com/

29. Allison
    March 15, 2011 10:52 pm

Me again. Picked up two bottles of Mean Joe Bean tonight and, as someone who doesn’t drink very many dark beers, I really did enjoy this. It wasn’t bitter and left with a nice coffee aftertaste/smell. Kudos to Steve and Sweetwater. If I could ship it to you legally, I would. :)

March 15, 2011 11:43 pm

B-Dog,

Some of us have to work and dream of drinking.

Seconding Black Strap Stout.

Recommending Southern Tier’s Creme Brulee Stout, if you can find it.

And since y’all have me thirsty, heading to MBC as soon as this muvvafriggin’ game ends. It’s twofer night!

March 15, 2011 11:44 pm

I’ll take mean joe bean or whatever the hell that thing is pictured above in place of steely mcbeam.

March 15, 2011 11:45 pm

Oops, forgot Great Lakes’ Blackout Stout.

33. Butcher's Dog
    March 16, 2011 8:14 am

@spoon: not surprised that beers are cheaper in Ohio than PA. I suspect cold beer will be cheaper in Hell than it is in PA. Not anxious to verify/debunk that suspicion personally, though.

34. jennviolet
    March 16, 2011 9:06 am

I’m just going to comment on the mascot. Doesn’t anybody else see the Dr. Frank-N-Furter resemblance??? Rocky Horror AND Beer fanatics. My kind of people!

35. spoon
    March 16, 2011 10:19 am

@bucdaddy I have 2 6 packs of Blackout Stout in my beer cellar that are now 2 years old. I pick up a new bottle and then crack a few open every 6 months to see how it ages. Sweet jesus almighty I fall in love all over again.

36. Ry Co 40
    March 16, 2011 10:23 am

“what’s not to like about a dude in heels sporting a MJG jersey?”

everything, actually

March 16, 2011 10:31 am

spoon,

I am constitutionally unable to let good beer sit around that long, although I’m hanging on to the last couple bottles of GLBC Christmas Ale as long as I can. That’s one of the great beers.

I’d recommend a roadtrip to the GLBC mothership when you have the time as well. Food was pretty good on my one visit.

I can’t speak to the raging Ohio-vs.-Pa. controversy. I can only say I live in West by-God about five miles from the Pa. line, and before we raised our AVB limit to 12 a couple years ago I’d drive TO Pa. (and occasionally Deep Creek in Md.) for better beer. I still go to Korintus for stuff W.Va. stores don’t carry, and I can’t say I see a whole lot of price difference between the two states.

Gotta hit that Boardman store one of these days, though.