Random n’at

1. Another paper placed in the “Why I Love Spam Comments” File is this comment caught in my spam queue:

I just now wanted to inform you about how much I appreciate all you’ve contributed to help increase the value of the lives of men and women in this subject matter. Through your own articles, I’ve gone out of just a newcomer to an expert in the area. It is truly a homage to your efforts. Thanks.

The post that comment was submitted to? “STEELERS TICKETS, BITCHES.”

It’s like they’re not even trying.

2. We watch Galavision news in the morning via Primero Noticias. Gives my husband a chance to catch up on the news in Mexico and gives me a chance to realize how little Spanish I understand when they talk so damn fast. Today, they featured a snippet of a news interview with President Obama and BAM! There is KDKA’s Jon Delano’s face on the Mexican news.

Notice they blurred out the KDKA logo. Thievery!

3. Who knows what’s going to happen with the Buccos of Suckitude this year, but this is a nice thing to hear from Clint Hurdle.

“How long will it take? That’s the one thing I’m not going to get caught up in. The people who judge the job I do, I can’t control that. But what I can push forward is the message, I can push forward practice, I can push forward the intent and the focus, and I believe my doing that will get the results.”

God, I so want this to be the freaking year.

4. The 96.1 Kiss Morning Freak Show Burgh Brackets are up and let me just remind you that two years ago, I won that shit.

This year, the matchups are just fantastic with Jeff Jimmerson taking on llamas. I’m calling it now that Brent Johnson’s Left Hook is taking it this year.

5. Tomorrow I’ll be at Pitt-Greensburg taking part in a writer’s festival panel and you’re asking yourself, “Doesn’t she usually turn those down?”

DO I EVER!

I said yes to this before I realized it wasn’t just me talking for twenty minutes to a classroom of web writing students.

Here are the details:

“The Art and Craft of New Media,” a panel presentation featuring Pitt-Greensburg bloggers and professional blogger Virginia Montanez (“That’s Church Blog” and “The Burgh Blog”), will begin at 4 p.m. in the Coffeehouse. Singer/songwriter Bill Deasy will offer a talk on songwriting, followed by a performance and book signing at 7 p.m.

6. The Knitting Lady sends me emails from time to time because she knows how much I appreciate the Sexhair.

Here’s a recent one she sent me.

She also sent me this one of Tyler Kennedy holding her knitting. Another player to add to her growing list of Pens who have taken pictures with her socks. LOVE IT.

7.  Creative Nonfiction mag is seeking Pittsburgh-based illustrators to submit artwork for the cover of the upcoming summer issue!

The artist chosen will work closely with CNF editorial and design staff to create 8 to 10 original designs to be featured on the cover and interior of the magazine.

Interested artists should email a resume and three low-resolution jpeg samples of their best work to information[at]creativenonfiction.org no later than March 31, 2011; a link to an electronic portfolio is also preferred.

It’s open to students and pros alike, so I’d love to see an AIP student submit their work and win.

8. Finally, I have a new Five Questions for … up at the Magazine’s site, these five for Jim Shearer. So you understand my process, I often ask my subjects (BOW DOWN, SUBJECTS!) way more than five questions and use some of the answers to write my intro material. Sometimes, choosing which five questions to feature is TOUGH WORK, especially when one of the Q and As that hit the cutting room floor this time was this one:

If someone you’ve just met and who has no idea who you are asks, “What do you do, Jim?” what’s your answer to that question?

If prodded, here’s the order: “I work in the media; production; television; I host the VH1 Top 20 Video Countdown; and, oh yeah, I also host two web-shows called: Yinz Luv ‘Da Guins and Yinz Luv ‘Da Stillers. Wait, what?  Have I met Lady Gaga? Yes.”

I’m far from a television star, but over the years whenever I tell people that I work in TV they get all excited. I have friends that are lawyers, and doctors, and teachers, and I feel that their respective jobs should elicit a similar, enthusiastic response; but they rarely do.

This may be filed under T.M.I., but one time when I was getting a testicular exam, a doctor asked what I did for a living?  I told him I worked as a host on TV.

With my testicles in his hands, he looked up at me and said, “Oh like Carson Daly, right?”

How freaking awesome is that?

Go have a read as he talks about his gig with VH1, why he started Yinz Luv, his Pirates exhibit at Wildcard and his dream jobs.

1. Rachel
    March 17, 2011 11:02 am

I “heart” Jim Shearer….. Thanks for the interview. I’d love to see the other 7 questions that didn’t make the cut

2. Paul
    March 17, 2011 11:16 am

Re: #3 – if only practice, hard work, and a good attitude could manufacture talent. If only. Actually, if that were the case I’m pretty sure Lloyd McClendon would’ve gotten at least one winning season.

3. Christina
    March 17, 2011 11:18 am

I am spamming all your accounts (Twitter twice already – sorry ;) )for saying what Rachel just said: I want the rest of the interview, pleeeeease! Because Jim Shearer rocks :)

And my deepest THANK YOU to the knitting lady for the awesome sexy hair picture. I will print it and pin it carefully on my brand new #58 winter classics jersey. Then I can point on the pic anytime somebody asks why the hell I have a hockey jersey and say: “THIS is one of many reasons”

4. lisa
    March 17, 2011 11:27 am

Thanks for saying YES to Pitt Greensburg! I have been a fan of your blog for ages and often forward the posts to my son at UPG. Wish I could get out there to see the presentation, but at least my son(CJ Simpson) will get a chance to hear from a great blogger!

March 17, 2011 11:32 am

wonder if the mexicans find delano’s voice as annoying as i do.

6. Butcher's Dog
    March 17, 2011 11:54 am

Creative Nonfiction? What is that, the Trib?

Creative Nonfiction would make a mediocre band name at best. But Johnson’s Left Hook would make a kick-ass band name. Just sayin’.

7. tw
    March 17, 2011 1:15 pm

Loved the Shearer interview…awesome guy.

btw…hope you get to talk to Bill Deasy. Nice guy…went to college with him (Grove City)…loved to listen to him and Bailey back in the day.

8. AngryMongo
    March 17, 2011 1:56 pm

5. They didn’t call me? Bastards. kidding.

9. Margaret
    March 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Letang recently cut his hair. It’s not super short, but it’s not the sexhair we’re use to seeing. At least we have that pic from the knitting lady! :)

10. la
    March 17, 2011 3:00 pm

Shearer is married? Damn.

11. Kathleen Cahalan
    March 17, 2011 3:19 pm

I was getting my hair cut at a salon in Wexford last week and they told me Kris had just been in that day! I died! I saw a pile of dark hair on the floor, and asked if it was his. It was. I resisted nabbing a piece. But I wanted to.

12. Jann
    March 17, 2011 6:41 pm

OK…Color me naive, or just gone way too long from the Pittsburgh area. I only knew Jim Shearer because of yinz luv. Didn’t know he had another gig or that he didn’t live in Pgh.
    So awesome that he spreads the love!

13. Different Brian
    March 17, 2011 8:26 pm

Not to be all internet security dork up in here, but I would bet the neutral looking comment actually had a website associated with it – and in publishing the comment, and linking to the website, you would improve that websites google ranging, probably so they can infect innocent googlers’ computers.

14. Christina
    March 18, 2011 9:28 am

To everybody who got scared about the sexyhair. It is not that bad – and it will grow again ;)

See the pic from last night:

15. PensAreYourDaddy
    March 18, 2011 4:35 pm

To add to Christina’s comment above, the photo of Tanger is from the game last Saturday vs Montreal…so, post haircut. I’d say fans of his hair have nothing to worry about.

16. Kristina
    March 21, 2011 7:13 am

Alas, the sex hair is shorter…I noticed in yesterday’s awful game (/grumbleCookegrumble) that he has cut his hair. /cry.

17. aDerek
    March 21, 2011 9:31 am

The more I read/hear/see/watch of Jim Shearer, the deeper my crush gets. How does that self-uniting thing work again? It’s probably a bit (OK, a lot) awkward and stalkerish when you’re both already married to other people, right?