Make Room for Kids Wish List!

It’s sort of a busy posting day here at That’s Church, so be sure to scroll down n’at.

Friday we began purchasing items for the Adolescent Medicine ward at Children’s Hospital, gearing up to outfit that entire ward of “frequent fliers” with gaming and more in early April when we install an XBOX in each room.

We met with hospital staff a few weeks ago to talk to Child Life about what the needs/wants of that floor are, and since we’re talking about teenagers, their needs are different from transplant, where the age range was very large. Just wait until you see how good we’re taking care of these kids’ needs. “iPads out the wazoo” is, I think, the proper terminology. But more on that later.

Now, many of you have asked about donating games to Make Room for Kids and we’re going to give you the chance to do that now!

I’m going to give you a link to an Amazon Wish List that I created with the help of the local Microsoft office and MLF — a list of the games for both XBOX and DS that we’d like to gift the floor.

Your options if you’d like to help in this way:

• If you have any used games for DS or XBOX 360, you can donate them in their original packaging to MR4K by mailing them to the Mario Lemieux Foundation at 816 Fifth Avenue, 6th Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15219. We are looking for the games in the Wish List, but perhaps you might have other titles you think the teenagers would enjoy. If so, please do not donate any game with a rating higher than T.  Be sure to send me an email and let me know what you’re sending.
  • You can purchase directly from the Wish List if you’d like. Simply indicate at Amazon checkout that you wish the items to be shipped to the address of the wish list registry. It will be hidden, but that is the MLF address. If you order directly from the Wish List, it will update and let us know how many were purchased. We are requesting two of each game.
  • You can go to a physical store and purchase any game and mail it to MLF. Just be sure to send me an email and let me know so I can keep track.
  • You can donate iTunes cards that will be given to the Adolescent Medicine ward to use to place games, apps, and books on the iPads. Have them sent to MLF as well and again, let me know about it.

Lots of ways for you to pitch in if you haven’t yet done so and wish to help us out with this phase of MR4K. Please do not personally deliver any games to the MLF offices, unless you have a HUGE number of games to donate, but rather drop them in the mail.

Here’s the wish list! Be sure to read the comments I put on each game.

I try to keep things interesting for you, Internet!

1. Margaret
    March 21, 2011 2:15 pm

One Mario Kart for DS ordered and on it’s way!! Thanks for making the list – that was very helpful :)

2. Lauri
    March 21, 2011 3:18 pm

One LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga for X Box on its way! My nephews love this game!! Thanks you rock for making the list and I am so glad that I can help out!

3. Drea
    March 21, 2011 3:26 pm

Thanks for making it so easy to purchase and donate. Your comments are hilarious!

4. Bram R
    March 21, 2011 5:41 pm

I don’t suppose they have any use for old gaming and viewing consols? Those Super Nintendos are starting to sell for $10 and less, not even worthwhile. I think the Gamecube & PS2 generation is hovering right around the sink. Maybe if the operation expands to other floors / wards / wings / hospitals / regions.

5. Christina
    March 21, 2011 7:21 pm

I do want Batman in Pittsburgh so that’s my choice. Game is on the way. Thanks for putting up the list – very easy to handle!

6. rose
    March 21, 2011 8:30 pm

i just ordered two “ace combat 6: fires of liberation” from your amazon list. thanks for giving me the opportunity to participate.

7. Aaron
    March 22, 2011 9:58 am

Long time reader, first time poster. One Lego Star Wars III on the way.

My youngest daughter was diagnosed with leukemia just after her first birthday. She is now 7 and doing great, but our family will never forget the long hours and days spent on the oncology floor of the old hospital.

As a parent who has been there, allow me to add my voice to the chorus of support. This is a great thing you are doing.

If it is possible in future, I would encourage you to consider adding some items for the littlest ones who are too young for gaming. Leapster or VTech or such. We survived on Baby Einstein DVDs. They’re great but I still get flashbacks today if I hear that music!

Again, well done and keep up the good work.

8. Virginia
    March 22, 2011 10:30 am

Thank you guys so much! The many sick kids are going to be able to enjoy these games for a long time.

Aaron, I couldn’t tell if you were saying to get Leapsters for the younger ones or if you were saying get DVDs for the younger ones who are too young for Leapsters.

When we outfitted the transplant floor, we did give them three Leapsters and bunches of games as well as DVDs and such for the younger crowd.

For this ward we’re working on now, which actually shares a floor with Oncology, we did not order them any Leapsters or movies for youngsters because this ward is the adolescent medicine ward made up of teenagers and young adults who are in the hospital many times through the year for weeks at a time.

The next ward we target, if there is the potential for very young children/babies as patients, we’ll be sure to focus on them more again with the Leapsters, games, and yes, movies. ;) I like the idea of focusing a bit on the Baby Einstein series. My kids loved those, too.

So happy to hear your daughter is doing well and thanks for chipping in!