A black belt in stealing my heart, Daniel-san.

First, big hugs to those of you that bought games for Children’s Hospital’s “frequent fliers.” We started with 56 games wished for and we only have 8 left. You make my heart hurt in a good way.

Now let’s talk dancing!

Did you watch Dancing With the Stars last night?

As expected, my DVR had major priority issues due to also recording the CBS sitcoms (shut up!) and Chuck. Therefore, I relied on my sister Pens Fan to text me when Hines was up and when Ralph Macchio was up, as those were the only two I really cared to see dance. The others could dance off the face of the earth for all I care. I don’t mean that literally, of course.

We interrupt this post to tell you that the other day I said to my husband, “My heart literally fell into my stomach.”

I AM WHAT I HATE! Gawd.

Hines was up first, so I sprinted upstairs to another TV to catch the footage of Hines in rehearsals with his partner, who had no idea who he was. She said, LITERALLY, “You make the touchdowns?”

HAH! Ego deflation for Hines, for sure.

My thoughts on Hines Ward are really conflicted. There’s so much I love about him, but there’s so many stories I hear about him, you know? The downside of being a Burgh blogger is you hear things and you have to take them with a grain of salt and realize that not everything you read is true, but maybe some of it is?

Regardless, damn, I loved me some Hines Ward last night! In the audience to support him were Franco and The Bus.

YouTube Preview Image

Once you get past the fact that Hines’ pants are pulled up so high that you’re trying to decide if he reminds you of Urkel or a camel, he kicks a lot of ass in that dance. I’m rooting for him to go far this season.

But I tell you if the finale came down to Hines versus The Karate Kid (the REAL Karate Kid, Jaden. Sit down, punk.), I am going to have a hard time because Ralph Macchio, at almost 50 years of age, is all that and french fries and cole slaw on top. What an adorable, awesome, love him so much I want to hug him man.

His practice video made it look like for sure he was going to come out to the dance floor and clomp across it like a donkey with three legs, one good eye, and Skittles for brains. But no! Daniel-san, you steal my heart! LITERALLY.

YouTube Preview Image

I love Hines. But I would sweep Johnny’s leg for Ralph.

All you whippersnappers who didn’t get that can VACATE MY LAWN.

1. T
    March 22, 2011 10:40 am

Ha! We had much fun saying, “Sweep the leg!” nearly the entire time Ralph was on air last night. “You gotta problem with that?”… “No sensei”

Oh and, “Get him a body bag!”

Yeah, really, “Get off my lawn too.”

I’m dying that he is nearly 50. He looks about 35. (Although I’m also dying that Kirstie Alley is 60 – she was 40 when Cheers ended? Who knew?).

How long until Hines Ward turns back into Whines Hard on this show?

2. Kathy
    March 22, 2011 10:50 am

Daniel-san won’t want no girl that sweeps legs. Literally.

Keep ’em off my grass too.

3. Robert E Hunt Jr
    March 22, 2011 10:58 am

Ralph needs to have Elizabeth Shue come running out onto the dance floor and hug him as soon as his dances are over. Sigh, she sure was easy on the eyes back then.

I’m rooting for Ralph but I’m worried. I mean, what happens if he twists a knee without Mr Miyagi on hand to heal him?

March 22, 2011 10:59 am

Ouch, Hines, I don’t think there’s any contest there.

5. empirechick
    March 22, 2011 11:00 am

Ralph was really (surprisingly) good!! The only way that could have been better was if they cut to Pat Morita in the audience.

6. Suburban Nor'Side Girl
    March 22, 2011 11:19 am

I’ll root for HInes just because he’s a Steeler, but he ain’t no Emmet! Didn’t even see the remake of Karate Kid, why bother when you have the original. I think I’ll be rooting for Kirstie, too – us old, fat broads have to stick together.

7. Legallypgh(Kathy)
    March 22, 2011 11:20 am

Sorry but I know some of those stories to be true, so I can’t root for Hines, on the field or off. Ick!

Go Karate Kid!

8. Me
    March 22, 2011 11:21 am

@empirechick — Your comment made me check to see if Pat Morita was still alive. Sadly not.

Both were good. And I was totally surprised by Kirstie Alley. I had her pegged as an early exit when I heard the cast. She made all of us with a few extra pounds proud.

9. Angry Joe
    March 22, 2011 11:45 am

Macchio has been in two of the BEST movies ever made – The Karate Kid and My Cousin Vinny. Some of the best movie quotes. Sweep the leg, No Mercy, I(hand clap)dentical.

Hines will make the final 4 but it will come down to Ralph and Kirstie.

10. TripleC
    March 22, 2011 11:57 am

I literally can not believe the amount of local press Hines is getting for being on Dancing with the Stars. Leads off nearly every news cast. Good thing the G20 isn’t in town now because it’s likely we wouldn’t know because #86 is dancing his little heart out.

11. MadMax
    March 22, 2011 12:09 pm

Was there someone one the dance floor besides Kym Johnson??

I didn’t see! nom nom

12. Amanda
    March 22, 2011 12:11 pm

I happened to catch Hines’s (hines’?) dance last night, but ditto TripleC- I told my husband we didn’t really need to watch it, because it would be no doubt all over the news. I still don’t see how who was cut from DWTS is news. If I cared, I would have watched.

13. Joe K.
    March 22, 2011 12:59 pm

I thought Hines should have gotten at least one 8 from the judges. With the 11 internet votes I had I gave Hines 10 and Kirstie Alley 1.

14. red pen mama
    March 22, 2011 1:22 pm

I enjoyed watching these clips, but I doubt I’ll tune in. It just doesn’t hold my attention that much. I think Ralph Macchio looks good, but his hair looks a bit overdone/over dyed. He needs to let some greys creep back in. IMO. Seeing as I can’t walk across a room without tripping over the pattern in the carpet, though, anyone who can pull off a fox trot is very talented!

15. bluzdude
    March 22, 2011 1:24 pm

I had DVR conflicts last night as well. No fair-Pens playing on Mondays. Had to watch the Pens, DVR Chuck/The Event, and hope to catch online video of Hines. Thanks for helping out with Part 3.

God forbid they cut to Pat Morita in the audience, what with him having died a few years back. Perhaps they can find Martin Kove to stand on the side and glare at Ralph Macchio.

16. PittinDC
    March 22, 2011 1:44 pm

Don’t feel bad for liking the CBS shows… HIMYM is the BEST! And I must say, I have a soft spot for the new show after it because it has the guy from American Pie and Sarah Chalke from Scrubs. So, sorry Hines… I don’t care if you are on DWTS, NPH still wins!

17. empirechick
    March 22, 2011 1:50 pm

I did know that Pat Morita is dead – just wishful thinking on my part. As 40 nears, I’m getting more and more sentimental for my youth…

Just watched Kirstie Alley’s number – WOW! (And that Ce-Lo Green song is so darn catchy!)

18. Dan (Not Onorato)
    March 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Didnt see it and actually never was a fan but to each their own. Although if Ralph Macchio dances to “Youre the best around…nothing ever gonna get you down” I’d watch. Kudos to anyone who knows when that song was played.

BAHH…get off my lawn

19. JenEngland
    March 22, 2011 2:31 pm

Oi. Big fat crush on Ralph Macchio now thank you.

20. Jann
    March 22, 2011 4:00 pm

Ralph Macchio was surprisingly good, but that hair has GOT to go!! Even Donald Trump’s stylist could do a better job.

21. Jann
    March 22, 2011 4:00 pm

OH- And LOVE Hines!

22. Leenyburgh
    March 22, 2011 6:24 pm

My girlhood crush on dorky karate kid just matured into womanhood crush on dorky dancing man.

23. VAgirl
    March 22, 2011 6:41 pm

Did anybody vote! Come on Steeler Nation, step up. I didn’t watch it last night but DVR’d. My hubby and I watch DWTS on Saturdays so we can watch it together. Started watching when the old astronaut (can’t remember his name) was on and somehow got hooked. I do love Kristi and will keep an open mind but hey I’m a Steel Town girl and burghers back burghers. Except when bad judgment with college age girls are involved.

24. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    March 22, 2011 6:54 pm

@VAgirl — I voted the permitted number of times on both my cell and landline, as well as the maximum number of times on the six e-mail addresses I have. All for Hines, of course.

25. VAgirl
    March 22, 2011 8:49 pm

@Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl–Great keep up the good work. I voted mobile, land and emails, so come on yunz guys lets do it! Why do I feel like I am running into the water and nobody is following?

26. Vivian formerly NYLuvsPitts
    March 22, 2011 9:27 pm

I voted via text and phone from the train on my way home and I didn’t even see Hines dance. I always bet black and gold no matter what. When I got home I watched Hines and then voted online. There’s my 33 votes for Hines.

March 23, 2011 10:45 am

dear God.

I will never, ever watch this show……

…and, if he pulls something and is out for the season, I’m gonna go all daniel-san.

28. Julia
    March 23, 2011 1:00 pm

I watched the DVR’d episode last night, and as much as I enjoyed Hines’ dancing skills (he wasn’t too bad!), I am still a little disturbed at how much those pants outlined his butt. Even one of the judges made a comment on it!