Back to our regular scheduled programming

When we flew back into Pittsburgh yesterday and landed at the airport to be welcomed by a nice, thick, consistent, obviously-took-its-fiber-pills snow, I laughed. Oh, how I laughed. I laughed and the people on the plane said, “That lady finally lost her mind.”

Because, you see, I had been gradually losing my mind all damn day.

That’s what all-day air travel with children will do to you. It will take your mind and it will put a pox upon it unseen since the Macbeth witches’ brew, leaving you a babbling, incoherent mess screaming, “OUT, DAMN SPOT,” to nothing in particular.

However, I wasn’t only welcomed back to the city with a broken mind and with snow five days into April; I was also welcomed back with an email from the film office finally confirming that Batman is  filming in Pittsburgh (more on that later), that the Pirates are playing .600 ball (more on that later), that good things happened with Make Room for Kids (more on that later), that it was 80 degrees on Monday (Mother Nature is obviously having a menopausal bitch snit), that the Pens continue to kick all kinds of ass (cute Sid story coming up), THAT BATMAN IS FILMING IN PITTSBURGH (STALK-O-METER CALIBRATION TIME), and that outing myself as a Republican earned over 250 comments, as well as posts on other sites in which some are “disgusted” with me and no longer reading me because I’m a Republican, I guess because they think I’m going to start writing things like, “The Pirates won last night. I noticed the score while I was cleaning my guns and researching the circumstances surrounding Obama’s birth.”

To those of you that have emailed me to say that you’re leaving, I’m sorry to see you go. Truly.

To those of you that have emailed to sheepishly admit you’re a Republican too, though your friends don’t even know it — shoot — stay in the closet. It’s nice in there.

To those of you that have emailed to ask me to explain to you my stance on specific issues like abortion, gay rights, gun control, etc., I don’t think that would be beneficial to either of us in any way. Instead, go read a comment I wrote on a 2 Political Junkies post in which my quotation marks around the words “war criminal” are questioned. I think it will explain some things to you.

Do I regret writing that post? Oh, hell, yes. More than you’ll ever know.

But what’s done is done and que sera sera.

Lesson learned.

More on the Pirates, Penguins, pigeons, Lukey, and BATMAN! soon.

Oh, and guns. LOTS OF GUNS. ME LOVE KILLING! GRRR.

1. Nancy White
    April 6, 2011 10:00 pm

I haven’t left. I like this blog, I donate to its causes and even send tips when I think there is something Ginny might be interested in. I also emailed Ginny directly, but feel like she made it clear in this post I won’t be hearing from her. Nevertheless, announcing you are a Republican for me isn’t just announcing some sort of personal choice like whether you think Sid or Mario is a better player.

As a lesbian, Republican policies mean my partner of 15 years and I have to explain to our son why we can’t get married. We have to take special steps to insure that we can visit one another and make medical decisions if one of us is sick. We can’t be 100% sure that the other’s family won’t fight for custody or money if one of us dies. If we are lucky enough to work somewhere that offers domestic partner benefits we have to pay taxes on them. When her parents died, I had no funeral leave and was lucky enough to have a boss that let me have the days off. When my father died, she wasn’t so ‘lucky’ and was unable to attend.

So in my world Republican policies have real life consequences and we can pretend like they don’t in these comments and that those folks who are hurt or upset by Ginny’s announcement are just too ‘sensitive’, but I feel like I can’t stay here, enjoy the Burgh love and keep my mouth shut about how I feel about this particular post.

2. Nancy White
    April 6, 2011 10:03 pm

Oh, I feel like Charlie Brown hanging out with Lucy and the football, but this opening week of baseball has me 100% convinced that THIS IS THE YEAR! .500 here we come. Go Bucs!

3. Vivian formerly NYLuvsPitts
    April 6, 2011 10:13 pm

Welcome back Ginny. ;-)

4. It's PAT!
    April 6, 2011 10:27 pm

My only regret about your “coming out” is that it forced me to visit the 2 political junkies web site.

I’ve avoided it for years — ever since finding out from extremely reliable sources that the male half of the duo repeatedly lied about his identity in order to gather “dirt” (not that there was any) on Fred Honsberger back in the days of the pathetic “honsman lies” blog. What a lowlife.

Only my interest in Ginny would compel me there — and what a surprise — it’s the same faux-intellectual, partisan drivel as before.

Ginny, I’m sorry that your immersion in Pittsburgh’s immature, identity-driven political psyche has made your regret your political coming out — the purpose of which was to decry Pittsburgh’s immature, identity-driven political psyche (as revealed by the PAT union doofus). Ironic, huh.

Shake off the imbeciles and move on. The mature people who float free of the city’s inbred politics are the ones who actually make the city function.

5. NewBurgher
    April 6, 2011 10:27 pm

Ginny, welcome home. Even if you had outed as a Democrat, and I said “well darn it” – and then you had people (ok, many less people) writing you that they wouldn’t read you anymore; I would still say “don’t be sorry about what you wrote.” Your heart is what counts, and we all know yours gleams gold. We all have beliefs that push us one way or another, between the D and the R; and neither make us less or more human. We’re all, for the most part, just trying to do our best, and get through this thing called life. And you with your wit, make it easier for all of us. Hope you had a wonderful vacation!

6. used to live in Pittsburgh
    April 6, 2011 10:32 pm

Nancy, I understand everything that you have said. I feel you are prejudging when it comes to the R or D label. I would vote for your equals rights in a heartbeat, but not because of which letter I have by my name in the voting booth. I do not think the initial defines who we are. Ginny has done so much good for the community, it is a shame that you would view her differently just because you learned which letter is by her name. You should stay and voice your opinions here because they matter and it is always good to here both sides of a discussion.

7. Xena
    April 6, 2011 11:04 pm

Oh, honey, I’m a Democrat. You give me hope for Republicans. Just keep on caring about people, outing idiots, and urging us to drink when Lukey says “move forward.”

We have so much more in common than what separates us: we love kids; the Steelers, Pirates and Pens; our self-united husbands; reasonable public figures; good food; and most of all, Pittsburgh. Pay no attention to the small-minded. The only way this country will survive is if Democrats and Republicans can talk to one another and get business done.

8. Xena
    April 6, 2011 11:06 pm

And I agree–if you were a Tom Brady fan it would be over.

9. Dayvoe
    April 6, 2011 11:43 pm

For the record…

I have nothing to say about Ginny’s party affiliation or self-identification as a conservative.

My blog post only questioned the quotation marks that Ginny used around the phrase “war criminal”. In itself that’s neither a left/right, Democratic Party/Republican Party issue. Torture’s a human rights issue and the fact that it happened in this country should forever disgrace the president who allowed it and the political party that supported that him.

For the record.

10. Tiffany
    April 6, 2011 11:49 pm

@Ben,
    Get your panties out of your ass and move along. It is people like YOU who make her regret it.

I yeah, I ALL CAPSED on you. DEAL WITH IT.

Ginny, I love you like a fat kid loves cake. Or like Lady Gaga loves blood. Or something.

11. Dayvoe
    April 6, 2011 11:56 pm

ItsPat:

You really need to explain your personal attack on me. I blogged anonymously at the Honsberger is a Liar blog for a number of reasons – none of them had anything to do with “gathering any dirt” on Fred Honsberger. Something which I never did, by the way.

Whoever your extremely reliable source is, if they exist at all, is extremely wrong.

But please, show us. What dirt did I dig up on Fred? The blog is still up. Give us a link. You can’t because there isn’t any.

April 7, 2011 12:05 am

Party, party, party, all I’m reading about is party and nobody’s given me a damn beer yet.

13. Oi Vey
    April 7, 2011 12:10 am

So…Honestly I didn’t make it past the “Ben” comment. Dude needs to get a life and get over himself. Who cares about party. Welcome back a lot has happened since you’ve been away. Get to writin’ woman sheesh.

April 7, 2011 12:10 am

April 6th, 2011 at 7:18 pm

B-Dog,

Did you invite Ginny to a threesome there?

I’ll fire up the hot tub, you hook up the digital recorder.

15. Mike
    April 7, 2011 12:34 am

I for 1 will never stop reading!!! how dare people say they won’t read because you are a republican.. Guess what? I’m a democrat, And I could care less what party you belong to.. As long as you make me laugh out loud,And ruin a keyboard by spraying soda from spit takes..I’m here!!

16. Ben
    April 7, 2011 7:12 am

ALL CAPS TO ALL Y’ALL HATERS. It’s all about opinion, right? My reaction is real, as is yours. That’s it. Done with it. I’m obviously still here, so I’m still reading.

17. Butcher's Dog
    April 7, 2011 8:07 am

@bucdaddy: We have to wait for Ginny to accept the invitation. If the threesome becomes a twosome of just you and me, it could get awkward. Just sayin’.

@Jaime: the problem with the labels is that we live in what is increasingly a microwave world. Sound bites. Short attention span. Talking heads interrupting each other constantly. No reasoned discourse any more, no complete sentences, few complete thoughts. Add to that the lock-step which politicians are apparently sworn to once they get into office. The thing that turned me off on the Republicans in Washington the most was that from the second President Obama took the oath of office they dug in their collective heels and opposed everything. Something near a thousand Presidential appointments not even discussed in the Senate? Seriously? Every single one of those people was bad for the country? They became the G-NO-P and seem to have stayed there. And since it worked to the tune of control of the House in ’10, I’m guessing we’ll look for two more years of that coming up.

What I’m saying is that the labels wouldn’t mean as much if they didn’t, well, mean as much. If everyone we elected tried to get his/her head at least partway out of his/her ass and work together, we’d basically ignore the labels. We can all hope it doesn’t take me becoming king of the world for that to happen.

18. Leah
    April 7, 2011 8:37 am

Anybody who would stop reading becuase you’re a Rebulican is an idiot….

19. Bulldog
    April 7, 2011 8:39 am

Wow, welcome back Ginny. I’ll keep coming here because of the amazingly creative and humorous way you express simple and sometimes random observations.

I agree with many here who have said that labels shouldn’t matter, and for the most part I try to conduct my own affairs that way. I don’t like the thought of being so small-minded that I judge everybody simply on the basis of the letter of their party. Many folks seem to realize that both parties have reasonable positions and I’m happy to say that I’ve found members of both parties I’m willing to support.

I can’t really think of any particular politician that I’ve ever agreed with in totality, but that’s the way some people want to behave when they declare that everyone in one party or the other is totally unacceptable.

Keep doing what you do and keep stirring the pots because provoking thought and discussion is never a bad thing. Knee-jerk reaction and broad-brush painting? Well not so much, but some people will always choose to be single-issue minded to their own detriment.

20. Johnaz6312
    April 7, 2011 10:29 am

Oh, you think you got problems. I’m a Democrat living in Republican land out here in Arizona. But the inefestation is growing and more of us are coming into the state. ****SOON WE WILL CONQUER ALL!!!!****** Just kidding! :} Seriously I’m in the minority out here.I try to avoid politics with my friends.

21. It's PAT!
    April 7, 2011 10:57 am

@ Dayvoe, the source was Fred Honsberger himself, whom I knew well enough for him to drop this complaint in a conversation once. And I knew him well enough to put far more stock in his complaint than in your denial. Here’s why:

It was his opinion that there’s a big difference between accusing someone of being wrong and accusing someone of “lying.” I agree. Choosing the latter — as the name of your blog, no less — is silly at best, since you can’t prove someone else’s intent or motive, and at worst it’s “dirt” (which is what I meant in using the term, not personal dirty linen, as he had none). t’s the kind of personal smearing and vitriol that so poison our dialogue. (Which is the theme of many writers on this post.)

Fred played a cranky but likeable straightshooter on the radio — he was a sweetheart in person — and he got a little crankier (in my opinion) as his health deteriorated, but he was neither a liar nor a partisan hack.

Whatever your reasons for blogging anonymously, your product wasn’t, say, the light-hearted tweaking of public figures that Ginny did as PittGirl. It was a constant assault on one person for whom being wrong was an occupational hazard and for which you accused him of something he considered a serious sin. He bore it with grace, and you made yourself look very small.

I hope that’s an adequate explanation — it’s all I’ll provide — Sorry to highjack your blog, Ginny.

22. red pen mama
    April 7, 2011 11:00 am

What @Robin said. I wanna see me some Christian Bale.

And you have confirmed my choice to NOT travel by air with three small children (and my husband) in October. We’re renting a van.

It kinda amuses me that this post is already at 70+ comments.

23. dayvoe
    April 7, 2011 1:11 pm

Hey, Pat!

I knew Fred, too! And I considered him a friend in the last few years of his life.

There are many many definitions of “lying” and when you speak as if you are speaking the truth and yet don’t know it’s true, that’s a lie. That’s where I was going with the Honsberger blog.

He had to know that what he was spinning as “true” was just political posturing (and the research at the blog proves that). He claimed, for one example, that “even the liberal New York Times” had claimed that Michael Moore’s “Fahrenheit 911” played hard and fast with the truth – neglecting to inform his audience that was he was reading was from a column by CONSERVATIVE NYTIMES COLUMNIST David Brooks.

See? A lie.

Fred, by the way, invited me onto his radio program a number of times after we ceased blogging at the Honsberger blog – hardly someone who thought I was “digging up some dirt” for the blog.

24. elysianfantasy
    April 7, 2011 1:14 pm

Welcome back, Ginny!!! I so missed your posts over the past week! I think (and hope) you’re finding that there are more people with you and for you than against you. So 1) don’t ever regret what you wrote, because it’s a simple reminder to never look at stupid things such as political affiliations in such a black and white manner…and 2) round up a Christian Bale stalking party. Like whoa. I’ll take first shift. :)

25. MizzPenz
    April 7, 2011 1:16 pm

Can these people be serious? Do they not watch a movie because a certain actor belongs to a certain political party? Do they not drink or eat something from a company that is owned by someone who is a Republican or Democrat? Good Lord… Ginny… I know you are a popular person on the Internets, but if someone out there is feeling “weird” about reading your blog now that they know you are a Republican? Like my sweet saintly Grandmother used to say: “F*** ‘Em!”

26. Shelly
    April 7, 2011 1:22 pm

I’m always floored at the intolerance of “liberals”. They’re so quick to condemn and don’t understand that they’re in fact hypocrits….

27. Mary
    April 7, 2011 1:53 pm

Ginny, I just want to add my two cents to crowd out all the hater comments you’ve been getting here or wherever. I love what you do, and I don’t care how you vote. You’re good people.

28. Mary
    April 7, 2011 1:59 pm

@Ben, I also want to say something to you to try to crowd out some of the crap you’re getting in the comments. I think you’re point was you didn’t see why she needed to say she was Republican, and that it was an unnecessary fact that served only to stir the pot. I actually think that could be a pretty rational reason to be turned off to something.

However, I’ve re-read the “coming out” post a couple of times, and I disagree that it was pointless. It’s fine if you still think that, but hear me out, if you could, and maybe you will feel more at ease.

I think that saying she’s Republican did have a point – which was that Democrats and Republicans can have mixed beliefs – not all Republicans are union-busters, for example and not all Democrats are bloodthirsty baby-killers. I think she thought that we, as her regular readers, appreciated her general viewpoint enough to keep reading her day after day, regardless of whether she is registered one way or another, and that would support her criticism of McMahon’s statements and the general divisiveness his comments represented. I thought that her willingness to say, “I’m a Republican” AND to admit how hard it is for her to say that even to an audience of readers who primarily adored her without knowing her affiliation was an opportunity for us to each examine our own political biases, but unfortunately some others didn’t see it that way so her intended point was lost on many readers.

Her point wasn’t to just say she was a Republican and watch the fireworks. Her point wasn’t to ignite a political debate. Her point wasn’t to say that being a Republican is better or worse in any way than whatever anyone else’s political affiliation is. Just that we’re all human and we have complex beliefs, so don’t paint anyone with a broad brush, and she was brave enough to put her own reputation on the line to make the point.

29. Ben
    April 7, 2011 2:12 pm

@Mary. I can live with that. That’s fair. Thanks for seeing my point without freaking out! I see your point. That makes sense. It’s a debate; not a hate-fest, people. I enjoy Ginny’s column. I just found the post to be a mistake. Others obviously disagree.

30. Mary
    April 7, 2011 2:19 pm

@Ben YOU’RE WELCOME. In every sense of the word. Different strokes for different folks.

31. Jess
    April 7, 2011 4:44 pm

I’m surprised how fast this post got up to 80 comments (or 81, thanks to me :) )!!!

32. LisaB
    April 7, 2011 8:42 pm

Ginny – you’re the mostest awesomest no matter how you vote. As for the people who don’t like it and stop reading you because of it? Their loss.

@Nancy White: I think you and your partner ought to have the same domestic-partner legal/civil rights as straight married people…and I’m a conservative Republican/libertarian. The TRUE Republicans believe in smaller gov’t that keeps its nose OUT of everybody else’s private business. Don’t let the intolerant, shortsighted, loudmouth bozos have you thinking that all us “R”s think in lockstep, ’cause it just ain’t true.

33. MM
    April 7, 2011 9:16 pm

I am friends w/ and work w/ many people who do not have the same political stance as I do. I’ve always thought it is really beneficial to talk and LISTEN to others thoughts and views. Our constitution also gave us the freedom to do that folks!

April 7, 2011 11:55 pm

LisaB and Nancy White,

I have your back. “Equal protection under the law” applies to everyone or it applies to no one.

Now if we can find a way to apply that that doesn’t infringe on churches’ right to set their own rules …

35. troysussaves
    April 8, 2011 11:43 am

good grief! everyone needs to cool the heck out.

36. Mama Moose
    April 8, 2011 6:35 pm

Not for nothing, but I can honestly say that I don’t give a pigeon’s left toenail what your political party affiliation is. Especially because, at this moment (3 1/2 hours before the government shutdown) I can’t tell any difference between them. Go on with your bad self…

37. VAgirl
    April 8, 2011 6:43 pm

Virginia, welcome back and I hope you enjoyed your time away. Crazy isn’t it. Reps, dems, libs and whatever else people are identifying as their political basis for their beliefs. I believe we need them all, just as our fore fathers did (did i spell fore right) well anyway, ying/yang it keeps the balance. The main thing is we do need to work together. There is too much discord happening within our world. Just keep the communication open as you have given us the stage for.
    Open mind, open heart!

38. don
    April 9, 2011 9:33 am

Every taxpayer should take a political stance and support representatives that best reflect their positions. If the lefties cannot see that light of day, shame on them. Stay the course. Pay no mind to the slings and arrows of the ineffective progressives.

39. knitsamknit
    April 9, 2011 5:53 pm

I don’t care what your politics are, I love your blog!!!