Back to our regular scheduled programming

When we flew back into Pittsburgh yesterday and landed at the airport to be welcomed by a nice, thick, consistent, obviously-took-its-fiber-pills snow, I laughed. Oh, how I laughed. I laughed and the people on the plane said, “That lady finally lost her mind.”

Because, you see, I had been gradually losing my mind all damn day.

That’s what all-day air travel with children will do to you. It will take your mind and it will put a pox upon it unseen since the Macbeth witches’ brew, leaving you a babbling, incoherent mess screaming, “OUT, DAMN SPOT,” to nothing in particular.

However, I wasn’t only welcomed back to the city with a broken mind and with snow five days into April; I was also welcomed back with an email from the film office finally confirming that Batman is  filming in Pittsburgh (more on that later), that the Pirates are playing .600 ball (more on that later), that good things happened with Make Room for Kids (more on that later), that it was 80 degrees on Monday (Mother Nature is obviously having a menopausal bitch snit), that the Pens continue to kick all kinds of ass (cute Sid story coming up), THAT BATMAN IS FILMING IN PITTSBURGH (STALK-O-METER CALIBRATION TIME), and that outing myself as a Republican earned over 250 comments, as well as posts on other sites in which some are “disgusted” with me and no longer reading me because I’m a Republican, I guess because they think I’m going to start writing things like, “The Pirates won last night. I noticed the score while I was cleaning my guns and researching the circumstances surrounding Obama’s birth.”

To those of you that have emailed me to say that you’re leaving, I’m sorry to see you go. Truly.

To those of you that have emailed to sheepishly admit you’re a Republican too, though your friends don’t even know it — shoot — stay in the closet. It’s nice in there.

To those of you that have emailed to ask me to explain to you my stance on specific issues like abortion, gay rights, gun control, etc., I don’t think that would be beneficial to either of us in any way. Instead, go read a comment I wrote on a 2 Political Junkies post in which my quotation marks around the words “war criminal” are questioned. I think it will explain some things to you.

Do I regret writing that post? Oh, hell, yes. More than you’ll ever know.

But what’s done is done and que sera sera.

Lesson learned.

More on the Pirates, Penguins, pigeons, Lukey, and BATMAN! soon.

Oh, and guns. LOTS OF GUNS. ME LOVE KILLING! GRRR.

1. Karen
    April 6, 2011 2:58 pm

Your political affiliation is of no consequence to me. I love reading your blog, and will continue to do so. Sorry you’re taking so much heat. Why can’t we all just get along? Welcome back, and keep writing!

2. Dan
    April 6, 2011 3:06 pm

I was reading through the comments on your “coming out” post and some of them are hilarious!

All of my friends know I’m a Republican, and because of that, political discussions are off limits – most are staunch Democrats and will insist that I’m wrong on any number of issues simply because I’m registered Republican.

Speaking of being registered, I live in Homestead, and every time I vote, they look for my registration card in the Democrat box, and then when they can’t find me, the poll attendants all whisper “Oh my GOD, he’s AN R! AN R!” and make me feel extremely uncomfortable – I’ve actually been shunned by the people at the table who are supposed to take my signature and I’ve literally had to get the attention of the Judge of Elections simply because the others ignored me for not being a Democrat (and yes, I’ve complained to the county about this!)

Anyway, Ginny – please make sure you use those Republican guns to kill the pigeons in Market Square!

3. Butcher's Dog
    April 6, 2011 3:08 pm

Welcome back from me as well. While walking up toward the Consol Energy Center last night from downtown I had a pigeon in my line of foot-flight and thought of you. Bastard was too quick for me, though.

I know the 250+ post rambled and to many it appeared to be stuck in neutral, but if anyone reads everything that everyone wrote, there’s a balance that at least defines some of the territorial limits of the places we inhabit, both physically and emotionally. It’s also a terrific exercise in Stream-of-Consciousness as it flows from one point to another apparently-unconnected one. Sorry to go all English Teacher on everyone here.

Again, most heartily welcome home.

4. G-Man
    April 6, 2011 3:12 pm

Anyone who stops reading you simply because you declared you are from one party or the other can’t really have much of a brain. I am no fan of either party. If I let the political affiliation of a person who normally writes things that are apolitical, then (1) I’m pretty sure that would make me some kind of bigot, and (2) I would probably stop reading the printed word all together.
    Be who you are. Vote the way you want. And keep on writing. I’ll keep reading.

5. Kathy
    April 6, 2011 3:16 pm

I don’t get it. You’re funny for the way you see the world. I mean, if you’d had a blog entitled, “in which i admit I’m a serial killer/pedophile/baby killer” I might have to move along, but whatever.

Oh well, welcome back. And at least there is more room in the comments section. :)

6. G-Man
    April 6, 2011 3:16 pm

I left out a few words. Meant to say, “If I let the political affiliation of a person who normally writes things that are apolitical make me stop reading them…”

7. burghbaby
    April 6, 2011 3:21 pm

I really, really, really, really wish you had posted the Republican post on April Fools Day. Not as a joke (because, c’mon, who really cares as long as we all agree that Lukey spending a kajillion dollars on trash cans is stupid), but so that people would have had to think about whether it was a joke or not. I would have found that highly entertaining.

8. Me
    April 6, 2011 3:21 pm

I wondered if you’d gone crazy when you wrote the “outing” entry. What is the etiquette saying about never talking about politics or religion unless you are well acquainted with your companion, or something like that? Anyway, I couldn’t care less about anyone’s political affiliation unless they are in my face yelling at me that I have to share their beliefs or something like that. So, it doesn’t matter to me if you’re a Republican, Democrat, or Communist for that matter, I enjoy your take on things even when I don’t agree with you. So, I’ll be sticking around, and anyone who would leave after that, well, sorry that they feel that way.

And, YIPEE – BATMAN!

9. Just A Simple Man
    April 6, 2011 3:24 pm

Party Schmarty… Welcome back!
    We would all be best served by common sense, not political affiliation n’ at.

10. Baba Wawa
    April 6, 2011 3:28 pm

welcome back! did you bring us any taffy?

11. Ben
    April 6, 2011 3:29 pm

I haven’t completely stopped reading, but I am a little turned off. And it’s not that you’re a Republican. It’s because there was no need to announce it. Maybe I’ll come back more often but it just feels weird reading your stuff right now.

12. Beatrice
    April 6, 2011 3:30 pm

So glad you are back! I cannot imagine air travel with my two small children. I hope you all had a good trip, wherever you went. Looking forward to the cute Sid story!

13. Elle C.
    April 6, 2011 3:33 pm

My husband saw the little blurb in Sunday’s Post Gazette about your post, threw it in front of me and said “I guess you won’t be reading her blog anymore.” Quite the contrary. I don’t feel your political stance makes you any less hilarious, which is the #1 reason I read your blog: to laugh (with you, not at you, of course).

April 6, 2011 3:38 pm

virginia — I could not possibly care less about your party affiliation.

or, who for whom you voted.

or, which pens player’s sex hair you love.

just glad you are back.

don’t regret what you wrote. it’s your damned blog, right?

15. Lauren
    April 6, 2011 3:38 pm

I cannot believe people would stop reading your blog simply because of a party affiliation. It seems to me that those who would choose to like or not like someone based on their party affiliation are really the root cause of the mess our politics are currently in. It shouldn’t matter what party you are – you should never agree or disagree with a political idea or movement solely on the basis of who originated that idea or movement. You should think it through, understand all sides, and form your opinion on your own, regardless of your political affiliation, which, it seems to me, is what you do. Bipartisan politics, people. It’s not that difficult a concept…

I’d probably continue to read your blog even if you outed yourself as a communist…for the most part, your blog isn’t political (except when you criticize Lukey, and quite frankly, you can’t get more bipartisan than that) – it’s humor, so why should I care what your political affiliations are?

Welcome back – I missed you!

16. Ann
    April 6, 2011 3:41 pm

Oh Ben, you can’t be serious. If this country was a little less concerned about political affiliation and a little more concerned about getting things done we would all be in a better place. I, for one, am a registered Republican but I’m pretty much a social liberal. I just skew a little more conservative when it comes to governing. Who cares?

Ginny, don’t regret it. Embrace it and move on (as you have).

17. Mo
    April 6, 2011 3:42 pm

Hang in there Ginny; my old boss once singled me out at work because I wouldn’t agree with him that the GOP was an institutionally racist party–after I mentioned my high school aged brother was active in the young republicans.

Just go on with yo’ bad self and if the writing is funny and good they’ll be back.

18. Dan (Not Onorato)
    April 6, 2011 3:43 pm

Welcome back!

19. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    April 6, 2011 3:48 pm

I don’t care who you vote for. Your political leanings are not why I enjoy your writing. I, too, am an R, surrounded by D’s. I’ve gone through the same thing as @Dan when going to vote when I lived in Pittsburgh and also here in Harrisburg.

20. Monty
    April 6, 2011 3:48 pm

Don’t worry, even Democrats will forgive a fart in church.

21. Bman
    April 6, 2011 3:50 pm

I read you because of PGH. I could careless for whom you vote. I’m an independent, but lean conservative. I care about AMERICA, not parties… I’m a vet. I can’t figure why politicians don’t do what’s best for the country. Politics suck. People make decisions based on parties. What about what’s good for the country?? Term limits? Laws,taxes. health care,retirement,…apply to all, even politicians?? That would solve a lot of problems!

22. T
    April 6, 2011 4:01 pm

@Ann- Well said.

I cannot stand people who will vote for straight D’s or R’s just because that is what they are registered as. I am registered Democrat, but tend to lean more to the right. People need to stop and take a look at WHO they are voting for and not WHAT they are registered as. The world is not so black and white and people who think politics are that way amuse me.

Ginny- don’t regret writing what you wrote. You have an opinion and that is what social forums, like blogs, are intended for.

Blog on, I’ve missed you!

23. Ben
    April 6, 2011 4:02 pm

Ann, I am serious. It’s not about party affiliation. I haven’t even revealed mine. Just no need to announce it. Not necessary and polarizing whether you like it or not.

24. Noelle
    April 6, 2011 4:11 pm

I for one am thrilled you are back. Broom the flakes.

25. Dan
    April 6, 2011 4:19 pm

@Ben , actually, it IS about party affiliation – that’s the point of the entire discussion – the fact that announcing one’s party affiliation should have no effect, positive or negative, but that it does. I’m a Republican, but sometimes I vote Democrat – I vote for whomever supports the most of my views, becauase there is never one candidate that supports all of them

26. Patrick
    April 6, 2011 4:19 pm

If people are going to leave your readership because you are Republican – you don’t need them. That’s ridiculous. I’m a Liberal and could care less what other people’s affiliation is. My closest friends are staunch Conservatives.

Keep doing what you’re doing and writing what you’re writing. Politics can make for some funny stories, just watch The Daily Show for examples.

Welcome back, my mornings are now infinitely better…

27. astroidb612
    April 6, 2011 4:24 pm

how ’bout them pirates?

28. CC
    April 6, 2011 4:25 pm

I agree that it does not matter what whether you are an R or D or I. When I go to Thanksgiving Dinner half the people at the Table are the opposite of me so it certainly will not stop me from reading your blog. I live in the Pittsburgh suburbs and feel uncomfortable when I have to tell the folks at the voting poll that I am a Democrat so it goes both ways.

I personally thought the exchange was interesting. I just wish I had taken the over.

29. HorseShoeBend
    April 6, 2011 4:31 pm

Talk not about politics nor religion unless you’d like to stir the masses :)

#20 Monty – You’ve obviously never been schooled by Sister Mary Elephant on the consequences of sphincter spasms in church. She was a democrat who ruled with – well – a ruler.

Welcome back to all!

Go Bucs!!! Go Republican Pitt Girl! You’ve laid the foundation. Your time is now. Seize the moment to make a difference.

30. Spanky
    April 6, 2011 4:34 pm

Did ya wave to Franco when you went down the escalator?

31. Ben
    April 6, 2011 4:34 pm

Don’t preach to me, Dan. And don’t ALL CAP me. Just my single opinion. The writer said she regrets it, so that should tell you something.

32. Jcubed03
    April 6, 2011 4:40 pm

#29 HorseShoeBend. Losing my mind over sphincter spasms!

@Ginny thank goodness you are back! I thought of you IMMEDIATELY when I heard about Batman! Yipeee for Pittsburgh and your stalk-o-meter.

April 6, 2011 4:44 pm

well, I, for one, am glad that this thread isn’t becoming political.

34. Robert E Hunt Jr
    April 6, 2011 4:47 pm

>> unseen since the Macbeth witches’ brew

Please, it’s the “Scottish play”. One mustn’t refer to this particular tale by its real name lest ye wakest ye olde evil spirits.

In other words, if the Pirates suddenly drop 10 straight, it’s on you. :-)

35. Robin
    April 6, 2011 4:53 pm

Can we pull together a Christian Bale Stalker Posse?

36. Patricia
    April 6, 2011 5:05 pm

Ginny – welcome back; I missed reading your posts.

G-Man, well said!

37. rickh
    April 6, 2011 5:08 pm

Welcome back V. If someone stops reading because of your party affiliation it says more about them than it says about you.

Let’s Go Bucs!

38. Carpetbagger
    April 6, 2011 5:25 pm

Come on, you know that 90% of those who claimed they were leaving are right back here reading this post today. They can’t help it. They aren’t going anywhere. They just had to throw a little hissy fit and get over the fact that they are part of that small percentage of GOPers and Libs who can’t possibly fathom that smart people exist who think differently than they do. This will be a growing experience for them. Like me, a moderate Lib, they ain’t goin’ nowheres.

39. tokenintexas
    April 6, 2011 6:03 pm

Ginny,

I’ve been lurking in the darkness for many moons now and have to agree with the majority of respondents (sp?). who gives a crap what you believe? I was raised to believe that it was flat out rude to ask one about their political party and to ask whom they voted for.

Having said all that, welcome come. I missed your blogs. only you can make me giggle hysterically on the shuttle bus to and from classes.

40. Cassie
    April 6, 2011 6:07 pm

Welcome back! Gosh I’ve missed your wit. Republican or not, I missed your wit!

So you promise that even though you told the world that you’re a *gasp* Republican, you’re not changing one bit? Because I think, possibly, people think that by you writing 1000+ words about it gave you a lobotomy and now you’re an EVIL, EVIL WOMAN.

I still love you, even though I’m not a *gasp* Republican. I don’t know what I am, but that makes no difference, now does it?

Kurt Vonnegut said it best: “There’s only one rule I know of: goddamn it, you’ve got to be kind.”

41. ErinPatricia
    April 6, 2011 6:14 pm

As another evil racist bible thumping gun loving Republican surrounded by Democrats in Pittsburgh,it’s nice to see you back

42. JennLP
    April 6, 2011 6:58 pm

For the record, I’m a “flaming” Liberal (and the majority of my friends & family are either Libertarian or conservative Republican – including my husband) and I love you dearly. I’m sorry that you lost readers because of your party affiliation. They are the poorer for that decision.

43. facie
    April 6, 2011 7:07 pm

Welcome back, Ginny! Looking forward to all your “more on that later” stuff. And so glad you finally posted again so people will (hopefully) get off that last post. Note to self: Never again check the box to be notified of follow-up comments via email. :-)

44. Butcher's Dog
    April 6, 2011 7:18 pm

Ginny, on the off chance that the party outing did, indeed, turn you into an EVIL, EVIL WOMAN I think bucdaddy and I can suggest some moments of stolen intimacy you may find enticing. If bucdaddy doesn’t want to join in the carnality, I’ll risk it on my own. Just sayin’.

45. Cassie
    April 6, 2011 7:22 pm

@Butcher’s Dog: I think bucdaddy would be a FOOL to not want to join in. Hell, if I were even slightly funny, I’d be in.

46. Rick (from Ohio)
    April 6, 2011 7:32 pm

In Ohio, we’re allowed to register Independent. Growing up in Etna, my mother was the only Republican I knew. My dad wanted some work for Allegheny County, so he registered Democrat. He got the work he wanted. The party affiliations were just words though. My parents were ‘bleeding hearts’ on some issues and staunch conservatives on others. That’s what I understood you to be saying about yourself. We were taught that if anybody on either side of the aisle hugs the party-line as if their life depends on it, then we’re all worse off. Just look at Washington, Harrisburg or any other capitol for proof of what can happen… Love ya Ginny

47. kevin
    April 6, 2011 7:32 pm

Everyone’s definition of normal is different and relative to their lives and experiences. Same in the political arena. You believe what you believe and I think most people are more to the center than they are right or left. I too am a republican, don’t agtree with everything but damn I’m tired of being beaten up over it. Welcome back Ginny, stick to your guns and let the intolerant Libs go elsewhere. They liked you until they found out which party you are affiliated with? Talk about having blinders on!

48. tokenintexas
    April 6, 2011 8:32 pm

good lord, i just realized that i meant “welcome home”.

49. ShannonSharpe
    April 6, 2011 9:34 pm

Honestly people, you are going to stop reading??? Never once have I seen political PARTIES discussed in Ginny’s posts…She picks on everyone equally, the way it should be.

Keep it up Ginny….brush it off your shoulder.

50. Jaime
    April 6, 2011 9:40 pm

To those who’ve decided to leave:

…so I guess being a Republican trumps all of the good we know Ginny’s done? I mean, a Republican couldn’t possibly care so much for sick kids and start a grassroots movement which turned into something huge and wonderful. Would those who’ve donated and are now upset with where Ginny falls on the political spectrum take back the donation? What about how she did what she could to help those stuck in Haiti? Hmmmm…….a Republican can’t possibly see beyond political affiliation and urge politicians from both sides to do whatever they can………oh wait….one did………and a Republican would NEVER praise Gov. Rendell for his huge role……….um…….oh yeah, one did.

The problem with this country is we are obsessed with labels. As if a label can truly define all a person is or will be. We cling to the label because it makes it easier to continue to dislike someone and we never have to dig any deeper to find common ground. Once you can make someone the “other”, it’s easy to do or say hateful things because you start to lose the ability to see the PERSON. Republican? Evil. Muslim? Terrorist. Gay? Corrupt children with their homosexual agenda.

Well, aren’t we just a country of broad brush painters?!

…and Ginny, had you come out as a Tom Brady fan……..THAT may have made me reconsider following your blog. Keep doing what you do because it’s a talent you’ve been blessed with and stay true to yourself because that’s what really matters.