The foul ball that changed the WORLD.

If there’s ever a movie role in which an actor must portray a man who believes he is the first person in the history of baseball to catch a foul ball, my brother-in-law is going to win the BAFTA, the Golden Globe, the Oscar, and possibly the Medal of Freedom.

YouTube Preview Image

That’s Muchacho, as my husband calls him. He is the husband of Pens Fan and he’s catching a foul ball at the home opener.

Seated to his left, wearing a Chivas Mexico cap, is his nine-year-old son (the same son that raised over $1,200 for Jamie and Ali by asking his classmates to donate change). Seated to his right is a congratulatory blond woman who is not Pens Fan.

No, Pens Fan is pregnant (as is Princess Aurora. Yes. The twins in my family are expecting their respective third children within five days of each other in August. If God loves me, they’ll go into labor at the same time so I can be royally entertained by their tag-team histrionics of begging for epidurals.) and was home napping on the couch when this happened.

After catching the ball, Muchacho turns around, his arms raised in triumphant victory [music swell]. He’s looking ten rows back to me, my husband, my other brother-in-law, and Princess Aurora, who are freaking out because he’s the first person in history to catch a foul ball. We have our fists in the air in victory [crashing cymbals]. We are shredding our programs to make confetti with which to shower him.

Princess Aurora then texted Pens Fan and told her to rewind the game to check to see if Muchacho was on TV.

We waited a few minutes. The game continued.

Then … [soft dramatic staccato] … a text came in from Pens Fan [climactic overture with heavy drums].

[I don’t really know what “overture” means]

Text: “WHO’S THE BLOND?!?@?@”

[Psycho shower stabbing music]

Watch your bunny, hot blond chick sitting next to Muchacho.

Watch. Your. Bunny.

April 12, 2011 9:25 am

I notice the camerawork conveniently omits the actual “catch,” but you’re here to verify for us how many bounces it took and how long till it stopped rolling.

2. Erin
    April 12, 2011 9:32 am

That is hilarious – he is so proud. “Muchacho” is cute.

3. Burgh_blonde
    April 12, 2011 9:41 am

Hey!! That’s me in that video! I thought he was kinda cute, in that “not really” kinda way….

And thanks for saying I’m hot.

4. Muchacho
    April 12, 2011 9:52 am

Winning! And it was only one bounce.

5. Monty
    April 12, 2011 10:52 am

It is fantastic how that dude in the yellow shirt got left hanging after coming over to give him a fiver.

6. bluzdude
    April 12, 2011 10:53 am

In my “Guy’s Handbook,” which is all-knowing and freshly made up by me, a Guy may only wildly celebrate a foul ball catch if he barehands it on the fly. He is also deserving of a nice round of applause, especially if it was a liner rather than a popup.

Yes! I totally caught that ball! But I’ll never play the piano again!”

While snagging a foul ball on the bounce is highly desireable, if one wishes to continue to enjoy full use of his hands, it is not worthy of excessive celebration. One small wave of the ball will suffice, before sitting down.

“Yes! I have the longest arms in my row!”

Catching a ball with a baseball glove is also not worthy of large celebration. Little League fields are filled with kids that can catch a ball with a glove. In this case, a sheepish wave to the crowd is plenty.

“Yeah, it came right to me, whattya gonna do?”

Any ball that’s pulled out from under a seat after having bounced around is completely unworthy of celebration. Leave those balls for the kids.

Lastly… Burgh_Blonde? Oh yeah, totally hot.

7. Aileen
    April 12, 2011 11:05 am

Your brother-in-law doesn’t also go by the name of Steve Bartman, does he?

8. JennyMoon
    April 12, 2011 11:45 am

Monty, I’ll see your left hanging fiver and raise you an armpit slap at about 20 seconds.

9. Butcher's Dog
    April 12, 2011 11:57 am

Yeah, well, I’ve been going to games off and on since 1957 and I’ve never gotten a ball. Never. So color me jealous of whoever gets one, doubly so if he’s sitting next to smokin’ hot female who acknowledges his existence. That’s another thing that’s never really happened to me in a ballpark.

April 12, 2011 12:10 pm

I’ve had two fouls bounce off my hand. And one off my face. So I’m in, y’know, no hurry to step in front of a screaming liner armed with nothing but my bare hands and sixth-Dogfish Head reflexes.

My dad once told me about a guy he knew who had seats behing the goal at Penguins games and liked to talk up how many pucks he’d collected through the years — dozens of them, IIRC.

My dad said, “Yeah? What do you do with 100 hockey pucks?”

11. spoon
    April 12, 2011 12:27 pm

oh yeah, total hawtness. Add her to the list!

I almost had a foul ball at a Pirates playoff game. I was behind home plate and the ball was just about to hit my hands when i got taken out by Scott Schwartz who was sitting a few seats over from me.

Yes, THIS Scott Schwartz.

Fucker.

12. Beatrice
    April 12, 2011 12:35 pm

Very cute video. And, what a fantastic nephew you have!

13. Monty
    April 12, 2011 8:29 pm

@ JennyMoon — good eye! Two quick, nonchalent pats on the arm pit by a total stranger. Totally awkward. You can see it freaked him out a little. I’m going to do that to the next person I see hailing a cab.

14. northside15212
    April 13, 2011 10:37 am

Total Ferris Buehler moment…