What’s the opposite of Mensa?

PennDot on April 7 closed a 104-year-old bridge in Bridgeville because it is structurally deficient. Unsafe. Keep out. Do not cross. Hazard. Here be dragons.

You think that’s going to stop some Burghers? A puny “BRIDGE CLOSED” sign?

The Bridgeville police department cited seven motorists last week for moving signs that warned the McLaughlin Run Road Bridge is closed.

Borough manager Lori Collins said one driver moved the sign, walked across the bridge to make sure it was safe then drove across the bridge.

Thoughts:

1. [runs to Google to confirm that Bridgeville is not in Fayette County]

2. I pray that the man got to the middle of the bridge and then took a few jumps up and down to test its tensile strength. And I pray someone got it on video because that would go viral faster than you can say “survival of the fittest.”

3. People who drive on closed, decrepit bridges should wear clean underwear. That’s an old Chinese proverb.

4. Standing on a bridge to test its ability to hold the weight of your car is like blowing your snots into a Kleenex to test its ability to hold Casey Hampton.

5. These people are why our hair dryers have warning labels that say, “Do not use in the shower.”

1. Steeler in PR
    April 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Interestingly enough, “Menso” (with an “o”) means “AMAZINGLY DUMB” in Spanish… Of course an image of a man walking on a bridge to see if it can hold his CAR, needs no translation…

April 12, 2011 11:26 pm

I checked and, no, we’re not missing any West Virginians. Face it, y’all just have a dumber breed of dumb up there.

3. MadMax
    April 13, 2011 7:23 am

Thankfully, no video of me!

4. Cindy T.
    April 13, 2011 9:21 am

Again more examples of people so self centered they can’t take no for an answer.

5. DanW
    April 13, 2011 9:41 am

I don’t know, jumping up and down on the bridge works fine for Wile E. Coyote. I’d be more concerned that the bridge will stay up and the land on both sides would fall into the abyss, though.

6. Shibori
    April 13, 2011 9:51 am

Don’t worry, Ginny, even though we can’t claim Bridgeville, I’m sure someone, somewhere here in Fayette County is doing something equally stupid.

7. AngryMongo
    April 13, 2011 10:43 am

@Shibori
    Dawson Bridge comes to mind.

8. Butcher's Dog
    April 13, 2011 10:47 am

@bucdaddy: not necessarily a dumber breed of dumb here, there are just so many more of us than in West-by-God that the law of averages says a couple will move signs to cross a bridge. Also, I fully expect to see some of these people in the Darwin Awards list sooner rather than later.

9. Pa-pop
    April 13, 2011 11:48 am

Opposite of Mensa is probably Densa.

10. Clair
    April 13, 2011 1:04 pm

You know, having lived in Tucson for 7+ years and seeing folks move/drive around barriers that closed roads when the washes/creeks/rivers were running thru them after a good storm (at first I wondered if the signs that say “Do Not Enter When Flooded” were really needed, then after being there for about 3 days I learned why they are there but that they really are practically pointless!!)…somehow this does NOT surprise me at all! Folks want to go where they want to go, and nothing is gonna stop them, dang it!! Cuz those signs say “do not enter…except for you!”

11. JennyMoon
    April 13, 2011 1:16 pm

People do dumb stuff because they know in the end, there will be someone else they can blame for it.

12. Forrest Gump
    April 13, 2011 2:40 pm

Stupid is as stupid does.

13. drunkdude69
    April 13, 2011 2:47 pm

You have successfully described one of the many reasons I was thrilled and relieved when I moved away from Bridge-vegas.

14. Jann
    April 13, 2011 4:18 pm

As I like to say, “Common sense isn’t so common anymore.”

15. Ambet
    April 13, 2011 6:17 pm

My husband and I live in Bethel Park so we take McLaughlin Run to Bridgeville regularly. What I find creepy is that the bridge was determined as “unsafe” suddenly. We went over it on our way to Robinson on April 6th at about 8:30AM. Coming home around 12:30PM, we found the bridge closed. What happened between those two time that suddenly made it unsafe?

16. Cathy
    April 13, 2011 8:25 pm

GO GINNY!!! You got props @ about 11min of period 2 of the game!!!!

17. Kristy
    April 13, 2011 11:16 pm

I’m pretty sure anyone who drives (or hops) across decrepit bridges will end up with unclean underwear, if they didn’t start with it.

18. burghgal
    April 14, 2011 2:09 pm

The rules don’t apply to some. We had roads blocked for a “senior” 5K race. I had irate people come up.. move the barriers and plow through.

Until the cops caught up with them.