Random n’at

1. If you haven’t yet, please scroll down to read about install day at Make Room for Kids and then scroll even further down to the post below that in which I introduce you to the stupidest people on the planet.

In my house, “stupid” is a bad word. As are dork, retard, pigeon, and Steely McBeam. However, in this case, I’d have no problem telling my children that these bridge-driving Burghers are Stupid with a capital S.

2. While we’re talking about Make Room for Kids, please check out this article that Bill Zlatos of the Trib wrote in which he interviewed some of the patients about their new Xboxes.

As I mentioned in my post below, Dan Potash was at the hospital covering install day for Root Sports (formerly FSN Pittsburgh or Fox Sports Pittsburgh or SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS! or something. I can’t keep track.)

I insisted on getting my picture taken with him.

Then I returned to what I was doing before I saw him walking by. Testing out the new Kinect with Microsoft employee David via a round of boxing.

That’s my Eye of the Tiger.  Rowr!

3. According to some important international London-based finance magazine that isn’t Hello!, Pittsburgh is the top city of the future for its population size!

I’d tell you more about what fDi Magazine said about our fair city, but they put it behind a pay wall.

I point and laugh at pay walls.

4. Do you go to conferences or expos and have now amassed so many tote bags that you start trying to find uses for them outside of their intended purpose?

“But mawwwm, none of the other kids take their lunch to school in a tote bag!”

Problem solved! The Pittsburgh Tote Bag Project will take those gently used tote bags off of your hands and give them to the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank!

I watched someone scrambling around to pick up cabbage after the bag broke twice.  While someone assisted him, I tossed my thought out into the twitterverse … why not donate our extra tote bags to the food bank so people could have a bit more dignity and transport their items more efficiently.

DO IT. Here’s more info!

5. As you know, the Penguins begin the first round of playoffs tonight and I’m already tingling with anticipation.

Here’s something mind-boggling to boggle your mind with the bogglejiggities (My word. Send me ten cents if you plan to use it.)

Sidney Crosby sat out the final 41 games of the 2010-11 season because of a concussion.

… It also didn’t prevent him from leading the team in a number of statistical categories. Crosby recorded a team-high 32 goals, 66 points and 10 power-play goals.

He missed FORTY-ONE GAMES and he’s our scoring leader and we are still somehow in the playoffs.

That, my friends, shows the true grit of the entire team. They find a way to win.

6. I just saw an article in my Google Reader entitled “Alcohol helps the brain remember, says new study.”

I’m not going to click it though, in case there’s a disclaimer I don’t want to read.

ARRIBA!

7. Terry Bradshaw tells the AP that concussions have finally caught up with him and that he’s experiencing short-term memory loss and poor eye-hand coordination.

Maybe some alcohol will help his brain remember?

I’m here to help!

8. Ladies. SEXHAIR WALLPAPER via the Pens! Click to embiggen and then don’t cut your tongue when you lick his whiskers.

What?

(h/t CrashJK)

9. If you’re on Twitter, you might be interested to know that you can change your Trending Topics section to Pittsburgh!

Here’s what’s trending internationally:

Here’s what’s trending in Pittsburgh:

TOM BRADY?!

Vomit.

10. The Bogglejiggities would make a great Wiggles-like band name.

1. Cassie
    April 13, 2011 2:10 pm

Boy Meets World is trending? I mean, I love me some Topanga, but gosh. That’s a little odd.

2. CrashJK
    April 13, 2011 2:20 pm

“Nice Hair Dan” – love the Danny P pic with you Ginny….

Let’s Go Pens…

3. Margaret
    April 13, 2011 2:36 pm

I think the only reason Tom Brady is trending in PGH is because everyone wants to see the interview he recently did where he cries because he wasn’t picked until the 37th round (or something) of the draft. I’m sure it was hilarious :)

April 13, 2011 2:46 pm

2. I’ll go a couple rounds with you.

Beers, I mean.

5. Monty
    April 13, 2011 3:15 pm

I haven’t seen #HappyEndings trend that high since Al Gore tried to play grab ass last year.

6. NAM
    April 13, 2011 4:27 pm

Hey, can you share the “cute Sid story” with us that you mentioned in your “Back to our regularly scheduled programming” post? I was curious about it. Also, thanks to empirechick for sharing the story above. It made me cry!

7. Virginia
    April 13, 2011 4:36 pm

I totally forgot about that! Yes, I’ll share it in the morning! Thanks for the reminder.

8. CRT
    April 13, 2011 5:06 pm

What Mongo said — we (actually, you) call Clay Travis to the mattresses for being a heartless contrarian in the context of besmirching our beloved and humanitarian symbol of civic pride as a “dishrag,” we should call out one of our own* for being infinitely more heartless in the same vein.

*Steigy stopped being one of my own the moment he hated on Mr. Rogers (!), but there’s an awful lot of commentary responding to this article to the effect of, “well, what do you expect, he’s from Pittsburgh.” Should be addressed.

9. hello haha narf
    April 13, 2011 5:52 pm

took everything i had not to paypal you ten damn cents

10. Sophie
    April 13, 2011 8:26 pm

I’m watching the playoffs right now, and heard you name/website mentioned with the Lemiux donations and just had to drop by and say how AWSOME that was of you! I came across your blog not too long ago, and have never commented before, because in truth I am a Flyers fan (gasp). Your blog is my occasional guilty pleasure.

Again I just wanted to say how excellent that was of you and that your hatred of Pigeons tickles me.

Well done,

Sophie/Flyers Girl :-)

11. LisaB
    April 13, 2011 9:14 pm

Ginny, that fDi magazine site lets you have a buncha looks for free if you sign up. So you can still laugh at the pay wall while you read what they said about our Burgh. And it’s pretty bogglejiggetylicious.

12. LorenKurp
    April 13, 2011 9:24 pm

I think that Tom Brady has been trending on twitter because of this:

I think that everyone just wants to see Tom Brady cry.

13. Christina
    April 14, 2011 4:56 am

Twitter trending:

It is obviously crap because it did not update all day and no “Pens” “Penguins” “LETSGOPENS” or something else hockey related was showing up. That is simply, statistically impossible.

My timeline looks like the south pole – so crowded it is with all kind of PENGUINS!

So Twitter folks … get your algorithm right and then we restart the Pittsburgh trending, okay?

14. TripleC
    April 14, 2011 7:59 am

Uhhhhh, so the ‘Gina in a bikini’ screensaver hasn’t been developed yet?

15. Christina
    April 14, 2011 8:13 am

PS: Screen Background “# 58″ installed. Looks GREAT :)

16. used to live in Pgh
    April 14, 2011 9:28 am

#7

Can someone ask Steigerwald what he thinks of the Penguins giving the fans the shirts of their backs? What are they supposed to do with them? Just wondering.

17. Butcher's Dog
    April 14, 2011 9:30 am

@Sophie: you’re welcome here. We’re all very gracious, even to Flyers fans. Unless, of course, the unthinkable happens and the Flyers last longer in the playoffs than the Pens or, worst of all disasters, they win the Cup. Then we’ll all politely ask you to eat shit and die. Just sayin’.

And on the topic of used totes…the Myrtle Beach local news this past winter (yep, I watched it live!) ran a story about reuseable totes and the amount of lead they contained. Giant Eagle bags were listed at number 5 on their list of “bags with the most lead in them”! Unless they’re snowbirds, no one in SC knows that there even IS a Giant Eagle, let alone what it is. So I’m guessing the info was maybe-probably correct. I didn’t see anything about it on the P-G on line that day or the next. Might be worth checking into.

18. Lindsey
    April 14, 2011 2:17 pm

Thanks for the new desktop background :) Now I just have to make sure I don’t get any drool on the keyboard…

19. Cassie
    April 14, 2011 3:21 pm

I wanna hear the cute Sid story! My daughter just loves that man…as we speak, she’s running around saying, “Michalek! I’m Crosby!” (that should read, Luca, I’m Claire! But she’s dubbed herself Crosby and Luca Michalek.

For the record, I’m Orpik.