1. My sister Ta-Ta turned me on to this streaming video of an eagle’s nest in which a father and mother eagle are caring for their three baby eagles. The father eagle is rarely home it seems, off doing God knows what at all hours of the day and night, while the mother eagle never seems to leave the nest and is constantly fretting over the nest and keeping her fidgeting babies warm.
I’m expecting soon to see her get fed up enough to be all, “I’ve had a really bad day. YOU stay here with the kids for a while. I gotta go look at shoes.”
2. Despite appearances, this is not a picture of a pigeon after I’ve gotten done with it:
That’s actually a “champion pigeon.” In this case, those are Super Ironic Quotation Marks.
Go and look at the pictures of other “champion pigeons” including one that looks it’s wearing a white fur coat, one that’s snow white with the evilest red eyes ever created by Satan, and this one:
Okay, THAT’S what a pigeon looks like when I’m done with it.
[awkward kung fu moves]
(h/t @Iheartpgh and Mark)
3. Speaking of [awkward kung fu moves], I’m going to start my own meme:
Let’s make it a thing.
4. I received an email from reader Cassie about this letter her daughter dictated to her to send to Sidney Crosby:
Dear Mr. Crosby,
Hi. My name is Claire [redacted] and I am 3 years old. I miss you very much. I wear your jersey pretty much every day when Mommy lets me. I have two. One’s green.
I want your boo boo on your brain to go away, so I drew you a get well card. I hope you get better soon. I miss you.
A month later, she got a letter back from Sid and an autographed picture.
How cute. I had no idea sports stars still did this. I guess I get so wrapped up in the age of email that I forgot kids still send snail-mail letters to their heroes.
[runs to write Sidney Crosby a heartfelt letter. And to see if stamps are still a thing.]
4. Benstonium has a Rebecca Black “Friday” parody video up called “Crosby” with all purchases of the song mp3 (only .99!) going to the Mario Lemieux Foundation.
Stunned. Stunned. Stunned. Stunned. Stunned.
And the love note from Dan Potash with FSN crossed out and replaced with Root Sports made me LOL.
5. Writers and wannabe writers, check out the Pennwriters conference happening in May at the Pittsburgh Marriott. Lots of awesome things happening during the event and Christopher’s Collages has donated some of his works of art as raffle items.
6. Things to go read over at the Pittsburgh Magazine blog are this post about the Falcon Cams at the Aviary. A snippet:
Before you comment and use either the word “disturbing” or the word “boycott,” let me first just say this: It’s the circle of life.
Elton John sang about it.
And this one about the amazing pop art that AIP student Tyler Kozar created from the wrappers and boxes of the one million Pop-Tarts he won from Kellogg’s.
7. ESPN graded this year’s MLB teams’ official season slogans, with the Pirates getting a solid C for their reuse of last year’s “Pride. Passion. Pittsburgh Pirates.”
Some of the slogans that made me laugh and I swear I am not making them up:
Hustle + Heart 2.0, from the Toronto Blue Jays.
Who’s Your Tiger, from the Detroit Tigers. I’m sorry, I read that slogan and I immediately think of a fashion photographer going, “Who’s your tiger? Who’s your tiger? Show me the mmrowr.”
This is Birdland, Orioles. LOL.
8. Speaking of baseball, let’s not talk about baseball.
9. Let’s go Pens!