Random n’at

1. My sister Ta-Ta turned me on to this streaming video of an eagle’s nest in which a father and mother eagle are caring for their three baby eagles. The father eagle is rarely home it seems, off doing God knows what at all hours of the day and night, while the mother eagle never seems to leave the nest and is constantly fretting over the nest and keeping her fidgeting babies warm.

I’m expecting soon to see her get fed up enough to be all, “I’ve had a really bad day. YOU stay here with the kids for a while. I gotta go look at shoes.”

2. Despite appearances, this is not a picture of a pigeon after I’ve gotten done with it:

That’s actually a “champion pigeon.” In this case, those are Super Ironic Quotation Marks.

Go and look at the pictures of other “champion pigeons” including one that looks it’s wearing a white fur coat, one that’s snow white with the evilest red eyes ever created by Satan, and this one:

Okay, THAT’S what a pigeon looks like when I’m done with it.

[awkward kung fu moves]

(h/t @Iheartpgh and Mark)

3. Speaking of [awkward kung fu moves], I’m going to start my own meme:

Let’s make it a thing.

4. I received an email from reader Cassie about this letter her daughter dictated to her to send to Sidney Crosby:

Dear Mr. Crosby,

Hi. My name is Claire [redacted] and I am 3 years old. I miss you very much. I wear your jersey pretty much every day when Mommy lets me. I have two. One’s green.

I want your boo boo on your brain to go away, so I drew you a get well card. I hope you get better soon. I miss you.

Love, Claire

A month later, she got a letter back from Sid and an autographed picture.

How cute. I had no idea sports stars still did this. I guess I get so wrapped up in the age of email that I forgot kids still send snail-mail letters to their heroes.

[runs to write Sidney Crosby a heartfelt letter. And to see if stamps are still a thing.]

4.  Benstonium has a Rebecca Black “Friday” parody video up called “Crosby” with all purchases of the song mp3 (only .99!) going to the Mario Lemieux Foundation.

You gotta check it out.

Stunned. Stunned. Stunned. Stunned. Stunned.

And the love note from Dan Potash with FSN crossed out and replaced with Root Sports made me LOL.

Well done!

5. Writers and wannabe writers, check out the Pennwriters conference happening in May at the Pittsburgh Marriott. Lots of awesome things happening during the event and Christopher’s Collages has donated some of his works of art as raffle items.

More info here!

6. Things to go read over at the Pittsburgh Magazine blog are this post about the Falcon Cams at the Aviary. A snippet:

Before you comment and use either the word “disturbing” or the word “boycott,” let me first just say this: It’s the circle of life.

Elton John sang about it.

Embrace it.

And this one about the amazing pop art that AIP student Tyler Kozar created from the wrappers and boxes of the one million Pop-Tarts he won from Kellogg’s.

7. ESPN graded this year’s MLB teams’ official season slogans, with the Pirates getting a solid C for their reuse of last year’s “Pride. Passion. Pittsburgh Pirates.”

Some of the slogans that made me laugh and I swear I am not making them up:

Hustle + Heart 2.0, from the Toronto Blue Jays.

Who’s Your Tiger, from the Detroit Tigers. I’m sorry, I read that slogan and I immediately think of a fashion photographer going, “Who’s your tiger? Who’s your tiger? Show me the mmrowr.”

This is Birdland, Orioles. LOL.

(h/t George)

8. Speaking of baseball, let’s not talk about baseball.

Sigh.

9. Let’s go Pens!

1. Butcher's Dog
    April 15, 2011 11:18 am

C’mon, Ginny. There’s too much left of the bird in that second picture for us to believe you were done with it. Don’t be givin’ us no BS ‘n ‘at.

2. Cassie
    April 15, 2011 11:19 am

Aw, thanks so much for posting Claire’s letter! Pretty sure you made her day now even more than Crosby. Now THAT’S saying something.

3. Jodi
    April 15, 2011 11:22 am

What’s up with this comment near the bottom of the “champion pigeons” page: “I agree with my studiomate Raul, these portraits of champion pigeons on the National Pigeon Association site are compellingly beautiful! It reminds me of one of my favorite books: The Fairest Fowl: Portraits of Championship Chickens.”

Seriously?!

4. Polly
    April 15, 2011 11:41 am

Actually, it’s the father eagle who is nearly always in the nest (I’ve been watching for nearly 2 weeks now). The mama is bigger, and has grey splotches around her eyes. The father is a bit smaller with a dark black ring around his eyes (he’s in the nest right now). Maybe I’ve been watching too much?

5. Pghgirl
    April 15, 2011 12:20 pm

Someone may have already posted this but just another example of the nice guy that Sid is..

6. Susan Helene Gottfried
    April 15, 2011 12:32 pm

Thanks for the Pennwriters mention, Ginny! I’m on the organization board for this, and it’s going to be a great weekend.

7. Joe K.
    April 15, 2011 1:20 pm

Yes you can still buy stamps! I still use snail mail to pay bills. I like the tactile feel of holding a pen and writing out a check, for some reason writing a check makes me feel like I actually have money. Maybe it’s because circa 1998 I worked with a kid from the North Side that said, “If you write checks, you’re rich.”

8. mfj
    April 15, 2011 1:48 pm

#4. So Sid didn’t tell that kid that jerseys are only for team members and she should grow the f@$k up? He’ll never make it in this town (satire).

9. Pingback: adult assignments. who knew? « Sisters From Different Misters

10. DG
    April 15, 2011 3:11 pm

@Pghgirl – Thanks for posting that link. Brought tears to my eyes. So glad we can call him our own.

11. CrashJK
    April 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Oh that horrible video…my ears and eye bled after 30 seconds….btw, the boys are destroying it on tPb….and rightfully so !

12. Benson
    April 15, 2011 4:37 pm

@CrashJK

Haha just curious…what about the visuals in the first 30 seconds of the video made your eyes bleed? The desk shot in Rebecca Black’s “Friday” video parodied with Coach Bylsma’s desk? The song aside, just trying to get some honest feedback on the video aspect.

13. Cordicron
    April 15, 2011 6:24 pm

“Everybody was Kung Fu fighting. Those cats were fast as lightning!”

BTW O’Brien and Garry on the old WTAE radio would have Manly Day and this song was the theme song much to the dismay of Scout and Mon Valley Minnie!

14. NAM
    April 15, 2011 9:50 pm

Another great Crosby story- thanks for sharing!

15. kayaker
    April 16, 2011 2:49 am

Who knew there was a National Pigeon Association?
    What purpose do they serve?

16. Trish
    April 16, 2011 10:00 pm

The Orioles’ “This is Birdland” slogan has been around for a few years because “We Suck And People Only Come Out When We’re Playing The Yankees Or Red Sox” doesn’t fit on the website header.