Awwwww. Winning.

First, I apologize for using the word winning. Momentary lapse of insanity.

Second, I regularly troll YouTube for Pittsurgh videos and found this one this morning.

I don’t know these people, but their names are Mike and Lindsay. Mike proposed to Lindsay in a very cool way atop Mt. Washington by aiming one of those viewers toward a platform at Heinz Field where their family and friends were holding signs that spelled out, “Lindsay, will you marry Mike?”

Start watching at 1:15 in.

YouTube Preview Image

Boys, this is a fantastically romantic way to propose, so put it in your pocket as a possibility along with flash mob, airplane jump, and gorilla suit. What?

Also something you can put in your pocket and then mail to me, a note explaining what looks like the news cameras.

Never mind! Found it. Who needs you?

Here’s a news report from KDKA and you’ll be able to see the family members holding the signs.

And now I have a world of questions like, is it standard proposal protocol now to invite the media to your proposal and also, how did they explain the news crews to Lindsay? “What news crew? I don’t see any news crews.”

Either way, well done, Mike.

1. Lisa
    April 18, 2011 11:30 am

Okay, this is the best proposal ever. How sweet. Does Mike have any single brothers?!

2. inBrookline
    April 18, 2011 12:00 pm

KDKA was only there in case Lindsay said no. Then one of their employees would have threatened to “fry her ass”.

3. Butcher's Dog
    April 18, 2011 12:03 pm

Did Lindsay maybe think, while looking through the viewer, that maybe it wasn’t Mike’s idea? Or that he was too bashful to ask himself? Will such thoughts occur to her later? The cynics among the male portion of the readership might suggest that Mike’s made his last independent decision for awhile. Like maybe ever. Not that I would ever endorse that suggestion or anything.

4. AngryMongo
    April 18, 2011 12:12 pm

I would have been slapped. Plain and simple, I was given a rule of no public displays of engagement. This was after we witnessed a guy proposing to a girl in Monroeville Olive Garden.

Instead, I did it on a bench next to the ocean in Virginia Beach. Then I had to go and call her parents and retroactively ask for permission… I forgot that one small detail.

5. facie
    April 18, 2011 12:13 pm

Aw, that is sweet and cute. Glad no one blew away!

6. BB
    April 18, 2011 12:37 pm

Proposing on Mt Washington…so original.

Nothing about this proposal appeals to me, so I’m glad it was her fiance that did this and not my husband!

And the whole “are you serious?” “are you serious?” is annoying. He is obviously serious, why can’t you just shush up and smile?

7. Pa-pop
    April 18, 2011 12:59 pm

She must be related to Phil Bourque. She kept repeating, “Are you kidding me?” All we needed was Mike Lange adding, “Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    shoots and scores!!!! Hallelujah Hollywood!”

BTW, the inclusion of family and friends made this idea a real winner in my book.

8. Dan (Not Onorato)
    April 18, 2011 1:19 pm

Anyone really know the story of how/why KDKA was there and Lindsay wasnt “aware”

@6 BB…chill out…try not to be a buzzkill…just because it doesnt “work” for you doesnt mean she didnt enjoy it.

9. The Dude
    April 18, 2011 1:20 pm

Vomit. This is right up with proposing on a Jumbotron. And really…bringing mom and dad to help you propose?

10. bluzdude
    April 18, 2011 1:26 pm

He probably used his family because he needed some reliable bodies to show up. I’m just glad they were in the right order.

Let’s just hope they’re not out there holding signs for their honeymoon.

11. Ry Co 40
    April 18, 2011 1:35 pm

wow! you poor, poor haters! NOTHING is wrong with this video… honestly. LMAO. and what part of “hey i’m just up here getting video of people looking at the veiw” (more or less) didn’t you understand? they’re recording fake stock footage.

12. TripleC
    April 18, 2011 1:40 pm

“are you kidding me”!

After the 17th time I had to stop because I simply couldn’t stand to hear it again. Congrats to them though.

13. PK
    April 18, 2011 1:52 pm

And if this was a gay couple or lesbian couple, would KDKA have shown up? Would the Rooneys have let their families on the field for the reveal? Just for some “oooohssss” and aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhssssssssss” and YouTube views?

Sorry…I’m in a bad mood today.

14. Cassie
    April 18, 2011 1:58 pm

@BB, relax. It was adorable. Annoying with the repeating, but she was in shock.

When my husband asked me to marry him, I asked him if he was crazy. So I guess “Are you kidding me,” is a better step in the right direction.

And if I was proposed to in an Olive Garden, I probably would have been a touch sad.

April 18, 2011 2:03 pm

people are hating on this?

even I can’t hate on this.

you go, mike and lindsay.

16. Me
    April 18, 2011 2:25 pm

It is very cute.

As for some of the sentiments in the comments, there are people who want the grand public gesture and those that don’t. I would tell any guy that did this for me to take a hike. (Maybe not that harsh, but if we were at the part of the relationship where proposing is involved, he better know me well enough not to do something like this.)

But it worked for them, so good on Mike and congrats to them! They look like a very cute couple.

17. astroidb612
    April 18, 2011 2:30 pm

tough crowd.

18. MessyDee
    April 18, 2011 2:52 pm

Corny. Plain and simple.

19. spoon
    April 18, 2011 2:52 pm

I thought that was fun and best of luck to them. Hate all you want, these kids are happy and in love while you stay miserable.

20. empirechick
    April 18, 2011 3:07 pm

The KDKA story said she loves the incline and he wanted to propose in front of ‘my city’ because he hopes they will live back here someday. Sounds like good enough reasons to me. Congrats!

21. jennviolet
    April 18, 2011 3:39 pm

I just think it’s cute how the male regulars around here find it sweet/nothing wrong with it. You softies ;)

22. Michael
    April 18, 2011 6:05 pm

Kudos for getting the family and TV station involved. I proposed to my beautiful wife on the platform by the other incline (the Mon incline). I just had my iPod and camera. Had to ask someone to take our picture, but the actual act of asking I ended up doing when no one was around…and almost dropped the ring out of nervousness and juggling things. =)

23. Sam's Dog
    April 18, 2011 6:15 pm

BB, I’m glad for you that her fiance proposed instead of your husband. I think there are laws against that sort of thing. Butcher’s, I hope for Mrs. Butcher’s sake you find your romantic side soon.( And my apology if there isn’t a Mrs. Butcher.

24. Sooska
    April 18, 2011 7:01 pm

Next we’ll be presented with the opportunity to view the conception and birth of their first child on the internet.

25. VAgirl
    April 18, 2011 8:52 pm

This was very sweet and romantic. Good for them and her reaction and constant repeating are you kidding me was cute. Congrats Mike and Lindsay may you have a wonderful life together!

26. Burghbird
    April 18, 2011 10:00 pm

Even though I am insanely jealous, it’s very sweet. I go back and forth on the issue of a public proposal, I think my requirement would be creativity either way. And this totally takes creativity to a whole other universe.

One does have to ask however, if she picked out the ring two years ago as I think I heard her say in the video, what the hell took Mike so long????

27. Monty
    April 19, 2011 8:42 am

I think this was nice, clearly they’re happy. I haven’t felt this good since I proposed in the Monroeville Olive Garden.

Is it me or are people getting married much younger now than they have over the last 20 years?

28. DanW
    April 19, 2011 11:42 am

We went to dinner on Mt. Washington Saturday night and walked along Grandview a bit. We passed a couple sitting on a bench who were all smiles. I didn’t think anything of if until our walk back a few minutes later when (with them still all smiles) I noticed a champagne bottle and two glasses under the bench and I overheard the guy saying the words “…fit on your finger…” Best of luck to Mike and Lindsay, but I’d personally rather have my quiet couple’s proposal story than one that involves KDKA and YouTube.

29. Stacey
    April 19, 2011 12:08 pm

I’m currently expecting a proposal we have an agreement that it’s a one-on-one thing and should be private. I want to be the first one in my family to know I’m engaged. My dad is no longer living or he’d be the first to know.

30. Butcher's Dog
    April 19, 2011 12:57 pm

@Sam’s Dog: there is indeed a Mrs. Butcher, coming up on 38 years with that title. So…my romantic side? It’s there. Just framed with some solid-gold realism as well.

31. Sam's Dog
    April 19, 2011 6:48 pm

Butcher’s dog-I hear you loud and clear. I’m in the same boat, only mine was christened a few years later than yours.

32. Trish
    April 20, 2011 6:39 am

I don’t know if it’s up on YouTube (too lazy to look) but last year I saw a guy get shot down hard on a very public proposal in Yankee Stadium, complete with his stunned face spread all over the jumbotron. Guys, be aware that the Big Public Proposal has been known to backfire so if you don’t want to take the chance of being humilated in front of thousands keep it more intimate, okay?

33. Alison
    April 26, 2011 1:38 am

So cute! Minus the involvement of KDKA, I think this is the perfect mix of private, yet semi-public. Having the family involved is adorable. Congrats to them both and that ring is BEAUTIFUL!

If only it was a little sunnier up there when this happened. Ah… Pittsburgh weather…

34. Alison
    April 26, 2011 1:41 am

@Burghbird – It probably took him that long to save up enough to buy the ring! Haha