Win some. Lose some.

Before we talk Pens (SQUEE!), let’s check in with the Suckitude. Yeah, I know I said I wasn’t talking about them, but this is getting ridic.

• Pedro went 0 for 2 last night in our 6-0 loss. He’s now batting .177. LOL.
  • Ronny went 0 for 3 last night and is now batting .170. OMG.
  • Andrew McCutchen left the team for undisclosed personal reasons for an indeterminate amount of time. WTFBBQ?

But the good sports news for Pittsburgh is the Pens winning in double overtime last night.

The stress of that overtime was so great that I couldn’t bear to watch it full-size on my TV. Instead, I activated my channel guide which shrinks my currently viewed program down to a small box in the top right corner of the TV and that’s how I watched a good portion of OT. I figured if we lost in OT, it would be much less painful seeing it happen in a 12-inch box rather than on a giant 42-inch rectangle of pain and suffering.

Is that weird?

Shut up.

When Neal, or as I, and I assume many of you call him, Napoleon Dynamite, scored, I was first jubilant and then on rewind and re-watch in full size, I almost felt bad for this kid who had a front-row seat to Neal’s sweet goal and the ensuing celebration.

STUNNED.

You can see the video here.

Poor kid.

But look on the bright side, kid. You could be a Pirates fan.

That’s real pain.

1. spoon
    April 21, 2011 10:45 am

Big Ben jersey? really? thats all you have to wear?

2. Megrcam51
    April 21, 2011 10:46 am

Are we not even going to talk about the guy in the Big Ben jersey? That is wrong on at least 3 different levels.

3. Virginia
    April 21, 2011 10:47 am

Spoon, my thoughts exactly. I saw that guy and was all, “You can afford to sit in the front row; You can afford a different shirt. Choose better next time.”

4. bluzdude
    April 21, 2011 10:57 am

OT games are just so tense… every time the other team sets up in the Pens zone, I get this anxious, queezy feeling until the clear the puck.

And of course, there’s the threat of a long, multiple OT game on a week night…

It was like, “Can you PLEEEEZE win this one quickly, so I can still have time to watch Modern Family and Cougartown on the DVR before I go to bed?”

5. Aileen
    April 21, 2011 10:59 am

I love the video of the players coming into the tunnel after the game being greeted by Sid and Geno – who winds up and punches everyone coming by.

6. Butcher's Dog
    April 21, 2011 11:04 am

OT ends so suddenly regardless of how long it takes to get to the end. Bang…it’s over. Thank you for playing. Next contest (or next contestant). Let’s hope for a big win Saturday afternoon and enough rest time for Sid to be cleared for contact so he can play. Too bad the Rangers couldn’t have done the Caps like we did the Lightning last night, though. The more pain and suffering involved in Rocking the Red, the happier man I am.

7. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    April 21, 2011 11:26 am

@Bluzdude — I was yelling the same thing at my tv near the end of the first OT. I was having flashbacks to 1996 when we played the Capitals and went to something like 5 or 6 OT’s and I still had to complete my Bankruptcy Law final paper. The procrastinator that I was/am, I thought I could easily leave it until the day before it was due to actually sit down and write it. Needless to say, I was able to get a good portion done during regulation, but all bets were off after the second OT. I think I called off work the next day.

8. spoon
    April 21, 2011 11:29 am

Granted I’m exhausted from that game and I LOVE playoff hockey but man who does that. we should focus on the kickass win but really, who does that.

Dude needs to get on Dicks and buy a shirt online.

9. Christina
    April 21, 2011 11:33 am

Watching it reduced to a stamp size thingy on your screen? Not weird – totally normal I would say.

I could not watch the 2nd overtime at all. I lay face down in the pillow eyes closed (just to be sure I really could see nothing) waiting for either hearing a big scream or the Tampa sirene.

Thank got it was a BIG SCREAM!

April 21, 2011 11:44 am

geez, what would our resident “that’s church” fashion editor say about that big ben jersey?

11. rickh
    April 21, 2011 11:56 am

I love how Neal scored just as Bob was saying “it just takes one”. And fake Ben caught my eye last night too.

Napolean is the best, but I don’t get the reference…

12. Andy Van Slick
    April 21, 2011 12:02 pm

Awesome win! Now, if I could only see the games on TV here in D.C. Versus carried the Flyers/Sabres feed so I was forced to hit refresh on my laptop and BlackBerry every two minutes. The NHL’s new TV contract with NBC / Versus has GOT to include a stipulation that ALL playoff games are broadcast on TV.

13. Cassie
    April 21, 2011 12:08 pm

My husband spent most of the game sitting on his toes on the couch (imagine a crouch) and then the OT standing and pacing.

I felt tired just watching him, let alone the players.

And Ginny, I’m with you. I couldn’t watch. I felt like the Knitting Lady with my Sudoku puzzle. And yes, the numbers were all jacked up. So sue me. I was too entranced with Errey and his horrible comments:

“Maybe LeCavalier knew something we didn’t and was resting up for overtime.”

Shut the hell up, Bob!

14. Virginia
    April 21, 2011 12:12 pm

Rickh,

I think James Neal looks like Jon Heder, AKA Napoleon Dynamite. ;)

Just my opinion.

15. rickh
    April 21, 2011 12:22 pm

Thanks Ginny. I thought maybe he did *jazz hands* after scoring the goal.

16. DG
    April 21, 2011 12:29 pm

Cassie: Sometimes i just have to hit the mute button when he gets going. Enough is too much already.

GREAT to come back to Consol 3-1.

17. CrashJK
    April 21, 2011 12:59 pm

@Cassie…you husband sounds like me…I sat during periods 1 & 2, then edge of sofa for period 3…OT was all standing (blocking shots and such in my living room…) and walking the dog during the intermissions….I LOVE PLAYOFF HOCKEY !!!!

18. Leenyburgh
    April 21, 2011 1:12 pm

I love the video after Neal’s goal when they are all celebrating… Malkin’s job is just to hit everyone really hard as they come off the ice.

19. elysianfantasy
    April 21, 2011 1:22 pm

@Rickh – However, if Neal HAD done jazz hands after scoring the goal and said “sweet” or “gosh” a dozen times in his interview, it would have been total awesomesauce.

20. rickh
    April 21, 2011 2:27 pm

@elysianfantasy

“That’s what I’m talking about.”

21. Butcher's Dog
    April 21, 2011 4:07 pm

@Cassie: Shut the hell up, Bob should be the law of the land. Just sayin’.

22. matt pritt
    April 22, 2011 1:29 am

You’ll note it took the NHL very little time in turning the Neal goal around to make a “History Will Be Made” promo, a series that I usually check out on a regular basis.

April 23, 2011 10:33 am

Wonder how much Root Sports is paying that guy to walk around with their logo stuck to his head.