Dear Rashard, delete your twitter account. Part II.

Disclaimer: I wrote this post from My Angry Place. Read at your own risk. Maybe tomorrow I’ll write one from My Happy Place.

Dear Rashard,

Let’s have a look at some of your more controversial tweets, shall we?

We shall! Away we go!

That was a fun day.

Here’s some recent ones that are extra special.

Is “respect” what the kids are calling it these days?

Rashard, are you having trouble controlling your woman or something? Poor baby. Twitter is a great place to talk about that. SUPER CLASSY for a man supposed to be a role model for the younger set.

And then today, this:

The whole viewpoint that we shouldn’t celebrate Bin Laden’s death is an absolute valid opinion. Truly.

But then you go on.

My thoughts, Rashard:

1. My father is a PREACHER and he does not preach nearly as much as you do.

2. I love it that you go from preaching to us ladies that if we don’t give our man oral sex to his liking and frequency, then it’s our fault if he chooses not to be with us (I’d love to read a white paper from you called Swallow versus Spit. PDF that shit and email it to me.) to preaching about God, all in the span of 24 hours. That’s hilarious in a sad kind of way.

3. You, as an American, are free to say anything you want. Thank every soldier ever for that. Have any opinion you want, but sheesh! Just because you THINK it DOESN’T MEAN YOU HAVE TO TWEET IT.

You’re a Steeler for the love of God. What broke in your brain that caused you to think that this is cool and a good way to represent the team? This is not your private account. This is the account you had VERIFIED BY TWITTER so that all would know this is the REAL Rashard’s account.

You have to live by different rules than regular people. If you’re Joe Dick from Bellbibboppity, PA, then that’s fine; tweet your crazy theories about airplanes and your intellectual thoughts about the availability of on-demand oral sex’s affects on healthy relationships to your heart’s desire. No one will give a crap. But as a representative of the Steelers, you have got to be more careful of what you tweet. I can’t believe you don’t realize that.

4. Would you say these things out loud to Sports Illustrated in an interview? I bet my Franco Harris autographed jersey that you wouldn’t.

5. If I had to choose between being stranded on an island with you or Jeff Reed, I pick Jeff Reed every day and twelve times on Thursday. That’s saying a lot. With Jeff, we’d get drunk and get crazy and probably go swimming naked. With you, I’d have to listen to your oral sex sermons in which you quote Song of Solomon and then end with, “All you bitches, take my shots. Amen.”

6. Delete your twitter. You’re not teaching anyone anything. You’re not an intellectual. You’re not widening our horizons with tweets about women, oral sex, slavery, God, or what “really” happened on 9-11.

You’re coming across as a judgmental, douchebaggy mysoginist and the last time I checked, that’s not what the Steelers or Pittsburgh want to stand for.

7. By the way, you can email that whitepaper to virginia@kissmyass.com.

Yours,

Me.

1. Jeff
    May 3, 2011 9:09 am

The Steelers support terrorists now? Combine that with Jeff Reed and Ben Roethlisberger, I’ll take a little bit of questionable videotaping…

What’s next? The Rooneys secretly funding the IRA?

I’m very much enjoying the angst all Steelers fans must feel over the actions of members of your team. Kinda sucks, donit?

2. northside15212
    May 3, 2011 9:22 am

Hummers, God, Slavery–wow! Versatile, Mendy; somewhat of a Renaissance man in the locker room. Perhaps he should add another topic at which he’s somewhat expert: fumbling in the Super Bowl. The yards are great, Mendy, but when you drop it on the carpet it sort of nullifies all that good work. Just when I thought no one could possibly outdo the rich pageant of buffoonery steadily supplied by Santonio Holmes and Jeff Reed; alas, you compare a 12+ million dollar contract to slavery. Congratulations –you’re now the lead float in the turd parade. For the record –I don’t need a conversation or a personal meeting with Usama Bin Laden to “know” him; his body of work speaks for itself. UBL got everything he asked for and I owe no one an apology, least of all some idiot, douchebag football player, for the relief I feel that he has finally, sweetly, been blown off the face of this earth.

3. Joe Dick
    May 3, 2011 9:24 am

I don’t understand why you need to single me out. Please keep my name out of your mouth, although as Rashard points out, it is of course optional.

4. Lauren
    May 3, 2011 9:40 am

Wow, I guess that whole “NFL slave trade” thing is harder than:
    -Living in a freaking tent with snakes and spiders and God knows whatever other desert creatures crawling around
    -Having mortars lobbed at you so often you actually “just get used it”
    -Taking care of 19 year-olds who have been literally blown up by IEDS

You know, I could go on. I don’t really give a damn if Rashard Mendenhall thinks God is upset with the hatred in my heart. The hardest thing he’s ever had to do is get hit really hard by some really big guy and he has gotten paid more money than my soldier husband will ever see in his life. With the death of Bin Laden, the whole reason he was given for going to war in the first place has finally been achieved. He doesn’t feel like he did it all for nothing. If he wants to celebrate that, it’s his choice and he should enjoy it, and so will I. Respectfully, Fuck Off Mendenhall.

May 3, 2011 9:53 am

#45. wow.

just as our current RB has the ability to be a twit, so our blogger and some of the commenters here have the ability to not exactly be into what he’s twitting about.

btw, were you smoking some supreme santonio weed while devising that moniker of yours?

6. JennyMoon
    May 3, 2011 10:01 am

“lead float in the turd parade” – Love it!

7. Chris
    May 3, 2011 10:06 am

I don’t see anything wrong with his tweets. They are his thoughts and opinions. When did you all become the thought police? I’ve seen some posts and comments on this blog that could be considered distasteful. Did anyone suggest that the blog should be shut down or deleted?

If his opinions bother you so much there is a very simple solution -> unfollow.

8. empirechick
    May 3, 2011 10:23 am

@Lauren – Please accept my thanks for your husband’s service to our country.

And I 100% agree with those who think twitter is stupid. I’m sure there have always been goofy athletes, but only those in the locker room knew it. Now thanks to the glories of the internet, they can spread their inanity far and wide in a split second. AIn’t technology grand??

9. Virginia
    May 3, 2011 10:25 am

Chris, I wrote this comment on facebook and it explains why I think Rashard needs to stop tweeting as a verified account while he’s a Steeler:

“The reason I put in the part about ‘you’re not educating anyone’ etc. is not because I think everyone on Twitter needs to be teaching things, but because each time Rashard tweets something inflammatory, he either tells those who disagree with him that they’re stupid, or he says he’s just trying to get us to think, educate us, etc. He has a history on twitter of not being able to filter his thoughts and it keeps getting him in trouble and that’s why I think he should either delete his account or create a private unverified one. It’s my opinion that the Steelers shouldn’t tweet on a verified account anything they wouldn’t say with a microphone and camera in their face. As I put in the disclaimer, I wrote that post ANGRILY, and that’s also a big part of the conclusion of the post. Just wanting to get a real good zinger in there. ;)”

May 3, 2011 10:30 am

I’d pay any money to see Rashard replace Kat as the PG relationship advice columnist.

11. Chelly24
    May 3, 2011 10:30 am

pretty sure this idiot has no idea what a “white paper” is…

12. Bitter
    May 3, 2011 10:41 am

Oh bucdaddy, me too!

13. gunnlino
    May 3, 2011 11:11 am

@AmericanNonTerroristMuslim;
    You run your mouth in protest NOW, Where were you when Daniel Pearl was murdered by your fellow muslims ? Have you publicly denounced those muslims who do horrific deeds against mankind in the name of a “religion” which treats woman as 13th century chattel ? Have you considered a career in the military ? Have you organized a relief effort for those victims of “religious” oppression in muslim controlled countries ? The “religion” of peace , yeah, right.
    Try standing on that soap box in London, England and see how long it takes for some dimwit to throw stones at your sorry ass .

14. Pghgirl
    May 3, 2011 11:22 am

I don’t follow the guy but its hard not to hear what his take is since its all over tv & radio this morning. My issue is not the 9/11 and Bin Laden tweets — there will always be people that believe that life’s greatest tragedies are huge conspiracies set in place by the government. I’m sure in years to come Oliver Stone (if still alive) will make a hugely successful movie about 9/11 and figure it all out.

My issue with his tweets are the clearly sexist remarks he makes and the way that he makes women second class citizens. The “advice” he gives is nothing short of – “put out for your man or you are nothing & he will leave you”. Nice self respect and self esteem you are preaching there for women. Not to mention all the young males that are listening and following what you say b/c they think you are a superstar. B/c that’s all we need is more single moms who got that way by “respecting” their mans b/c if she didn’t do it, someone else would.

May 3, 2011 11:31 am

rashard. just hold on to the damn ball.

16. Ben
    May 3, 2011 11:39 am

Just another Steelers off-season.

17. TripleC
    May 3, 2011 11:54 am

Mendenhall = a complete and total f’ing idiot.

In fact, he’s so damn stupid that I’m having a hard time coming up with words to describe how much of a piece of dirt this jackwagon is. Oh, guess I just did.

18. Kathy
    May 3, 2011 12:07 pm

#5 – hahaha… that solidified that this was your angry place. love!

19. rickh
    May 3, 2011 12:16 pm

Good post Ginny.

Initially I wasn’t a Shard fan because of his Spinderella moves at the line of scrimmage and his Fumbleina tendencies in high pressure situations. Then I thought he was a jackass for equating playing in the NFL to the slave trade. Now I just see him as another ignorant over privileged fool that uses his celebrity to shout whatever nonsense comes into his pea sized brain.

He’s now linked with the likes of fellow Truthers Charlie Sheen, Rosie O’Donnell and Jesse Ventura. Hardly a list that could be confused with those attending a Mensa meeting.

20. CarolineFB
    May 3, 2011 12:28 pm

I felt obligated to leave a comment for the sole fact that there were 69.

I was amused by his tweets more than I should have been. I couldn’t care less what any athlete’s opinion is on anything. This is why I’m not a sports fan. Entitlement.

As a country our values are a mess. We celebrate and glorify the wrong things.

21. dave
    May 3, 2011 12:36 pm

If you were stranded on an island and had to have one of the two things, which would you pick?

A) A pigeon
    B) Rashard Mentalhall (sic)

22. rickh
    May 3, 2011 12:38 pm

@ 71 Which one would I pick or which one would I kick?

23. kayaker
    May 3, 2011 1:46 pm

My only hope is that the female that didn’t put-out and was replaced by someone that did, knows in her heart now that she was the smarter of the three.
    God bless her heart for having a brain and a few standards.

24. RJQ
    May 3, 2011 1:52 pm

Rashard, cover up. Your misogyny is showing.

And, was he only 12 when we were attacked (9/11/01)?

So. Much. Hate. at him.

25. B @ Six-Hundred Sq Ft & The City
    May 3, 2011 2:00 pm

You made my heart feel better about this already.

Amen, Sister!

26. kevin
    May 3, 2011 2:07 pm

The poster child for why you should not send your child to the University Of illinois. I’m sure they are very proud of their Alumn today.

27. AJ
    May 3, 2011 2:38 pm

What is sad is not so much that an NFL player is tweeting these statements, it is that there is a large segment of the population (esp, the black population) that share his beliefs.

Look at the hip-hop culture. Check out Black Entertainment Television (BET) sometime. The programming on BET defines misogyny. From Kanye West and his George Bush hates black people comment to a common belief that the government created HIV to kill black people (Jeremiah Wright is one of the people who said this), there is a general misunderstanding of how the world works.

As far as ‘celebrating’ OBL’s death is concerned. I am celebrating the fact that the person that was behind the the mass murder of 3000 innocent victims does not have the ability to create similar misery in the future.

28. Not_from_Pittsburgh
    May 3, 2011 3:11 pm

I am not american and I felt offended by his tweets. The Rooney’s should revoke his Tweeter privileges for sure.

29. Steverino
    May 3, 2011 3:32 pm

Jocks should not be allowed anywhere near Facebook or Twitter. There’s a reason they are labeled “dumb jocks,” and this is one of them. They are here to entertain us. It’s the least they can do for the millions we pay them and for the stadiums they play in that we built.

30. Butcher's Dog
    May 3, 2011 3:32 pm

From all accounts the body of this mass murderer, whose crimes were committed for reasons that still haven’t been explained (even in the certified bat-shit-crazy ways of the Middle East), got much more respectful treatment than it deserved. Comments about bacon-wrapping may indeed be insensitive. So is flying two loaded planes into skyscrapers without notice or warning. If you want people to respect your religion more, try not killing people in its name. That applies to Christians, Jews, Muslims, and anyone else.

Sorry, but if those thoughts make me prejudiced and racist, then the concept of bat-shit-crazy has spread faster than the zombies.

31. MattDC
    May 3, 2011 3:42 pm

I suppose we could declare all the idiots persona non grata, unworthy of Steelership, and cast them out of Pittsburgh, but that might clear the roster a lot faster than anyone seems to realize.

32. The Right Honorable Member for, The Very Reverend Mother Her Duchal Serene Highness, Dr. Hortense Sussudio Fuckerfaster said
    May 3, 2011 3:54 pm

@73 so you are opposed to blow jobs as a general principle? i don’t think that marks intellegence per se, other issues perhaps, but who am i to judge.

@76 yes its those blacks and their damned blow jobs that are ruining things for everyone. why can’t they choose to mate by comparing each other’s ability to shop for brand name khakis at discount prices like decent white people?

33. Not_from_Pittsburgh
    May 3, 2011 3:55 pm

@ MattDC yeah you might end up with the nicest, most respectful and smartest 2 man football team in the World ;)

34. AmyLa
    May 3, 2011 4:12 pm

LOL @81 The Right Honorable…Fuckerfaster response to @76. It’s probably more an issue of socio-economic status (or background thereof) than race.

35. Scott
    May 3, 2011 4:20 pm

I was driving back from Lowe’s after picking up some ark supplies, and they were discussing Rashard’s tweets on the Scott Van Pelt Show on ESPN’s national radio feed. Not surprisingly, their take was similar to Ginny’s and any other sane observer. They were debating whether it is ok to tweet about sex and God in rapid-fire fashion, concluding that the only person who might be able to pull that off is L’il Wayne.

I’m thinking Rashard is writing himself a fast track ticket out of town, especially after seeing Mr. Rooney’s comments today.

36. AJ
    May 3, 2011 4:30 pm

@81 What part of my statement isn’t true?

37. Anderson Cooper
    May 3, 2011 5:06 pm

It’s all a front. Rashard is on the down low.

38. Jay
    May 3, 2011 5:36 pm

Now known forever as Retard Mendenhall

39. kevin
    May 3, 2011 6:00 pm

sadly, these loons really think people care what they have to say. If it wasn’t publicized I wouldn’t have known what a bufoon this guy is. Who does follow athletes twitter accounts as if they say anything wordly anyway?

40. jann
    May 3, 2011 6:31 pm

You have an autographed Franco Harris jersey????
    Lucky dog!

41. Ginny's Dad
    May 3, 2011 6:50 pm

His sexist and vulgar comments are not the only things that disturb me …. surprise, surprise.

But also his comment “we’ve only heard one side” seems to imply that Bin Laden really wasn’t the mastermind behind 9/11 and may actually be an innocent victim.

Well, I found this excerpt from the PBS Newshour dated Oct, 29, 2004:

“A tape aired by Al-Jazeera television Friday showed al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden admitting for the first time that he orchestrated the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks and saying the United States could face more.”

Rashard, I’ve heard the other side and Bin Laden has received his just punishment. God bless the brave men and women, like Lauren’s husband, who risk their lives to fight an enemy whose primary goal is to destroy our nation.

42. The Right Honorable Member for, The Very Reverend Mother Her Duchal Serene Highness, Dr. Hortense Sussudio Fuckerfaster said
    May 3, 2011 10:32 pm

@85 pretty much the entire premise. breaking it down into what is wrong about it’s constituent parts is to risk missing the entirety of the wrongness of your overall perspective.

to point out that kanye west said “george bush doesn’t care about black people” versus what you said, would lead down the road to a semantic argument, which is pointless, because the basic perspective you bring is so heinous, you simply aren’t worthy of being given a chance to defend it, by misdirection.

43. Professor Slim
    May 4, 2011 7:35 am

If you don’t understand how ramming 50,000 gallons of jet fuel into a skyscraper can cause it to melt and collapse then go back to science class.

44. Pingback: Sportsocracy.org » Blog Archive » The Mendenhall Tweets

45. kayaker
    May 4, 2011 12:53 pm

Was he drunk-tweeting? Idiot!!
    Could he be taser resistant too?

46. AJ
    May 4, 2011 4:31 pm

Didn’t do a Google check on West’s statement. My bad.

As for the rest, just stating the truth.

47. Pingback: Mendenhall is at it Again | Three Rivers Philosophizer

48. Frank Wiener
    May 5, 2011 4:17 pm

@ #64 PghGirl: Hate to disagree, but there won’t be any more single mothers out there from “respecting” their man unless there is something seriously wrong with their digestion/anatomy.

49. Pingback: Apology Expected | Red Pen Mama