Random n’at

1. “The irregular shaped jar and the convex bottom make it difficult to get every last drop of Nutella out,” will be the first chapter in my new book I Have My Deepest Thoughts While Licking The Inside of the Nutella Jar.

Pre-order now!

2. Posting from My Angry Place the other day, which by the way is filled with drugged pigeons that hover at punching range, has resulted in some great debate about free speech and how professional athletes should use Twitter.

Yesterday, a statement from Rooney:

“I have not spoken with Rashard so it is hard to explain or even comprehend what he meant with his recent Twitter comments. The entire Steelers’ organization is very proud of the job our military personnel have done and we can only hope this leads to our troops coming home soon.”

Apparently, the Steelers need a social media policy that says, “Don’t tweet anything from a verified account that you wouldn’t say into a live microphone.” Just because you think it, doesn’t mean you have to say it.

Advice I should take in light of my “white paper entitled Swallow versus Spit” line.

How nuts was that line!? I blame My Angry Place.

3. Reader @maripops informed me that David Conrad was in the KDKA studios yesterday morning for an appearance on Pittsburgh Today Live (watch the video here) and she said he “says hello” via this picture she took and then tweeted to me:

You guys.

FINGER GUNS! [pew pew!]

That’s a shout out.

What? Shut up.

Let me have this.

3. The NRA was in town recently and while here, this happened:

Two men were arrested for allegedly stealing two sets of elk antlers with a combined value of more than $500,000 from an exhibitor at the National Rifle Association’s annual convention over the weekend, authorities said on Tuesday.

One of the antler sets was worth $500,000 alone. The other $15,000.

HALF A MILLION DOLLARS FOR ELK ANTLERS?!

DO THEY LAY GOLDEN EGGS?

What?

Shut up.

(h/t Paul, who wants to quit his desk job and hunt elk now because that’s where the money is!)

4. One more David Conrad thing! Don’t forget you can see him perform with the Symphony starting on Friday. David from 2 Political Junkies interviewed him about that for a blog post at the Symphony’s website.

5. Steeler draft pick Baron Batch has an amazing blog about his life, past and present.

The picture he posted of his childhood that he carries with him so he won’t forget where he came from is just so moving.

I already love this guy. Hard.

Please read his most recent post called 860 Miles to Forgiveness.

It will leave you speechless.

A snippet:

Sometimes a lie can be dressed so properly that it can even deceive the tongue from which it was conceived. My father has missed just about every major accomplishment in my life. He only made it to 2 of my high school football games and never made it to any collegiate ones. He left my mother, my siblings, and I for another woman. He missed me grow as a man and has had little input, except for what not to be.  I constantly told people that his lack of presence didn’t bother me and that was a lie.

My Lie was dressed in a tuxedo. It wore a bow tie, cufflinks, and nice polished shoes, and its smile was flawless. My Lie quickly took on its own life. It became real, it became true, and it would even speak to me. “Baron, you don’t need your father, you have done it without him for this long and look how well your doing. He hasn’t been there for you. Don’t let him in. He doesn’t deserve it. He will just abandon you.” I listened, I believed, and I trusted something that was dangerously deceiving.

Until Truth spoke to me.

The rest will give you chills.

I might have to self-unite. Ladies, I’m proactively telling you now that you might need to STEP OFF.

6. DAVID CONRAD DAVID CONRAD DAVID CONRAD.

What?

I just wanted to give YOU a chance to tell ME to shut up.

YOU SHUT UP.

7. Why are you and I bickering so much today? Let’s hug it out.

8. Something we can agree on for sure is that I am obsessed with Roberto Clemente, so when I finally made it to Jim Shearer’s Pirates art show at Wildcard, and saw that he had his Roberto Clemente 11 x 17s for sale for only $15, I bought one.

Here’s the art:

Awesome, huh? Can’t wait to frame it.

They were all fantastic, including my other fave, the Andy Van Slyke print:

Check Wildcard in Lawrenceville to buy your own.

9. Rusted Root, Phat Man Dee, Bill Deasy all in one concert for charity? Yes, please.

12-year-old Reeva Kelly died last year from Crohn’s and her aunt is the owner of Mr. Smalls and will be hosting the concert on June 18 to benefit the Reeva Kelly Charitable Fund, which will help children suffering from Crohn’s.

SICK KIDS.

You can get your tickets to the concert here!

10. And finally … SHUT UP.

Sorry.

I think the rain is getting to me.

1. bluzdude
    May 4, 2011 9:39 am

Perhaps our young Batch should take it upon himself to mentor Mr. Mendenhall in the fine art of the graceful use of social media.

2. Cindy T.
    May 4, 2011 9:46 am

I read Mr. Batch’s excerpt this morning and it broke my heart. What a fine young man he is. I’m glad he’s on our team.

3. Scott
    May 4, 2011 10:05 am

Ginny,

Next time you’re in an airport, know that in every Delta Crown Room they serve UNLIMITED Nutella and shortbread cookies.

Unlimited….huge bowls of it…just laying about.

Thought you’d want to know.

4. Biggest Fan
    May 4, 2011 10:19 am

Read the Baron Batch’s “Forgiveness” blog entry and have tears down my face. Beautiful.

Thanks for the link to this gem of a blog and the introduction to this fine young man.

5. Steve
    May 4, 2011 10:46 am

Byron’s blog is amazing. Scroll back two pages, to get to his trip to Haiti.

He has put his talents to use in a way that is absolutely stunning both verbally and visually.

Thank you for sharing it.

6. Noelle
    May 4, 2011 11:09 am

Holy wow, he’s the anti-Mendenhall. Amazing.

7. Steve
    May 4, 2011 11:15 am

Bah. His name is Baron, not Byron.

He is holding a public charity event for his newly formed non-profit on May 17th in Midland TX. I am only 9 hours drive from there, and I am seriously considering attending.

The purpose of the charity is to put Haiti kids through school. He is looking to sponsor 1500 kids.

8. facie
    May 4, 2011 11:43 am

Thanks for the heads up about Baron’s blog. I heard something about him on the news, but had forgotten about it until now. What a story.

And I think the rain is getting to everyone. I thought I saw the sun for about 30 seconds yesterday, but I may have been dreaming.

9. mamabear
    May 4, 2011 11:44 am

Ginny,
    Re #9:
    It’s Crohns. Nasty disease should be spelled right! Great cause and sounds like a fantastic concert!

10. Virginia
    May 4, 2011 11:48 am

Yes, ma’am. It’s fixed.

11. eileen
    May 4, 2011 11:53 am

I was just going to send you a link to Baron’s blog. What an amazing man he is. Mendenhall isn’t fit to shine his shoes.

12. TripleC
    May 4, 2011 11:54 am

Perhaps young Baron Batch can given that dip-shit (Mendenhall – as is I needed to say who) a few pointers.

13. Kathy
    May 4, 2011 12:24 pm

I prefer Baron stories to angry place stories. you know, in case one day you have to choose between the two, I pick the former. :)

Now I will dab my eyes some more and pretend my allergies are acting up.

14. Joe K.
    May 4, 2011 12:29 pm

This is a great line from Batch’s blog: “My lie was dressed in a tuxedo…”

I can’t fathom how antlers could be worth half a million.

15. Scott
    May 4, 2011 12:35 pm

I hope Baron is awesome on the field as well to elevate his status in the community and the NFL to a level where he can have an audience to share his heart and other passions. Seems like a really stand up guy that will make a nice addition to the City of Champions!

16. Katie
    May 4, 2011 12:50 pm

Love him and his moving words. Lump in my throat for sure. Thanks for the link – love finding gems like this from you, Ginny!

17. Heather
    May 4, 2011 12:52 pm

I recently hosted a Nutella party – they supplied the goods, I promised to blog about it in exchange. One of the take-homes in the goodie bags was a Nutella spreader, very oddly shaped so that it gets every last drop out of the jar. I had some leftovers – would you like one? If so, email me.

I have to admit, I didn’t care much for the stuff. For the same fat/calories I could have 4 pieces of bacon, and bacon trumps pretty much all other food in my world.

18. pghredraider
    May 4, 2011 1:03 pm

Baron Batch was an awesome football player when I was in school at Texas Tech. I had no idea how amazing a person he also was. Instantly my new favorite steeler. Let’s hope he makes the cut in training camp!

19. TC
    May 4, 2011 1:12 pm

Mendenhall has apologized. Or should I say, his attorney has written an apology for him.

20. toni
    May 4, 2011 1:21 pm

Mendenhall’s Clarification, attorney written or not, clarifies nothing. The quote he posted is not the quote that upset me.

The quotes that upset me were the ones questioning 9/11’s airplanes imploding into buildings and his lack of oral gratification.

21. Cassie
    May 4, 2011 2:51 pm

The fact that Baron recognizes Ray LaMontagne makes me extra love him.

22. PG Wodehouse
    May 4, 2011 2:52 pm

Ok, so then there is this Baron Batch column. He is an amazingly effective writer.

23. Burgh Bird
    May 4, 2011 4:17 pm

When I sent you the link to Baron’s Blog on Saturday night, I meant to also include: Step Off. He’s mine. I saw him first!

Seriously, I am so happy that so many people have seen his blog now and are ready to embrace him as a part of Steeler Nation.

24. Burgh Bird
    May 4, 2011 4:42 pm

And how unfair of his blog to be playing Coldplay’s “Fix You” just as you get to the really meaty, tear-jerking part of that entry. Must fix my raccoon mascara now.

25. JenEngland
    May 4, 2011 4:51 pm

So, I may have to fight all yinz for the self uniting rights on this one. Or you can accept me as your self united sister wife. I’ve been saying I desperately need a wife anyway. This could be just the answer. I have a whole list of things you can get started on, starting with dinner. I’ll be home late…

;)

26. The Right Honorable Member for, The Very Reverend Mother Her Duchal Serene Highness, Dr. Hortense Sussudio Fuckerfaster said
    May 4, 2011 5:17 pm

so, our new running back has an imaginary friend. we better keep the one who likes blow jobs, just in case.

27. jann
    May 4, 2011 7:09 pm

Oh thank you for sharing Baron’s blog. I am going to tell EVERYONE know about it, especially my children.
    I will pray that he does well and stays with the Steelers for a long time. Troy and the others like him need more players like this on the team to cancel out the bozos, who shall remain nameless, as they should.

28. ward91
    May 4, 2011 9:46 pm

growing up in an italian household, i used to eat nutella sandwiches rather than peanut butter and jelly. and all the kids made fun of me.

fools.

btw, it’s much better on crappy, processed sliced white bread than on good, hard-crust italian bread.

:-)

btw, during my 2nd pregnancy. i CRAVED nutella. i think i ate a couple dozen jars over 9 months. oops.

29. Lauren
    May 4, 2011 9:51 pm

Thank you so much for sharing Baron Batch’s blog. It was really touching and now I know what I will be reading for the next few hours. It’s good to know that we have young players like him coming to our team.

30. Brian
    May 5, 2011 12:22 am

Thanks for sharing Baron’s blog… It’s amazing! I’m a fan of his already.

31. aunt_chilada
    May 7, 2011 7:06 pm

1/2 a mil. for elk antlers???
    I had two sets that I found hiking in colorado. I draped my curtains from them. Now the NRA thinks they are valuable? WTH.

Baron gets cooler everyday.