EEEEK! A BALL!

When you’re a man sitting in the first row of the outfield seats at a Pittsburgh Pirates game and Andrew McCutchen blasts a solo homer right at you, you can do two things.

A. You can do what most sports fans do and elbow men, women, grannies, and children out of your way to catch the ball, at which time you throw your hands triumphantly into the air and high-five all the strangers seated near you.

B. Hunker down in fear and attempt to cover your entire skull with your sprawled hands.

Like this guy did.

The video is terrible because my brother-in-law Muchacho filmed it vertically on his iPhone and then switched the channel before I could tell him to refilm it horizontally.

But you can clearly see which man I’m talking about.

Check it out.

YouTube Preview Image

P.S. If that is one of you, I apologize for how deeply and strongly I pointed and laughed at you.

P.P.S. If any of you has that game recorded, put this on YouTube for me so I can point and laugh in embiggened resolution.

P.P.P.S. I didn’t curse the Pirates. Regis Philbin did. Leemelone.

1. jdp
    May 11, 2011 9:23 am

At games, any baseball, thats me. Its not the ball. Its the nutso’s going after the ball I cringe from.

2. bluzdude
    May 11, 2011 9:39 am

Sorry… the dude loses serious man-points for that. There are other ways to avoid getting conked besides going fetal.

3. Monty
    May 11, 2011 9:52 am

If you freeze it at :08, it is NSFW. Rick Santorum would blow a fuse if he saw that.

4. Monty
    May 11, 2011 9:54 am

Pun intended.

5. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    May 11, 2011 10:24 am

Sorry, that would be me, too, for the exact same reason @jdp notes. I always say to the kids around me that I won’t go after a ball, but if it hits me anywhere on the head, it’s mine.

6. Sam
    May 11, 2011 10:31 am

WTF was the guy doing on his knees in the first place?

7. Cassie
    May 11, 2011 12:48 pm

I got hit in the shoulder with a foul ball at a Pirates game once. A dude tried to catch it and when it bounced off his glove, it waled into me. I’m a chick and I didn’t duck. I just got beaned.

True story.

May 11, 2011 1:49 pm

Many years ago, when my job was to go to a lot of games, I got hit in the face by a foul ball. I was really lucky as it turned out, because it hit me on the left cheekbone, where I am best protected, missing my eye, nose and teeth by an inch or two. I ended up with a black eye for a few days as it was.

For months after, if I heard bat hit ball but couldn’t see where the ball was, I was under the table. This was especially true at parks where the turf was old and was fading from green to greenish white, helping camouflage a flying baseball.

I don’t think I cringed like this big baby, but I can sympathize, just a teensy little.

9. mfj
    May 11, 2011 2:01 pm

Where’s the fearless drunk USA guy when you need him?

10. Magnus Patris
    May 11, 2011 10:36 pm

At PNC on Sunday, A foul ball landed right in front of my 7 year old son; in the time in took him to reach down to pick it up, some a$$hole from 2 rows away and 10 seats down, ran over and snatched it from his feet. I told my son,glove in hand, who was crying, that it is sad that you will run into people in life who have such low self esteem that they have to practically bowl over a 7 year old for a baseball. Mrs. Patris went over and told him he should be proud of his actions.

11. lovesthenorthside
    May 12, 2011 8:50 am

@monty…haha, crack kills!

i got hit by a foul ball at a college game recently. i saw it coming, but running through my mind was how dorky people look avoiding getting hit. in the end, i was a deer in the headlights. and it hurt. hopefully, my mind will focus on the hurt over the dorkiness next time.